Views:	111
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	185269  

Old 08-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline
I was thniking about Tomorrow's ceremony. It's on the afternoon, right?So I suppose it means long dresse and tiaras for ladies, and long jackets for men?

(because I remember last year:the Danish wedding on the afternoon: long gowns and tiaras; Spanish wedding on the morning: knee-lenght dresses and hats.)
I wish it would be, but no, I expect them to dress like they always do (so we are warned....keep your sunglasses ready for Laurentiens outfit).

Old 08-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Correct, the brooches are diamond rose. The queen wore them for example as well when she got engaged to Prince Claus. There are 5 roses which can be used differently. Beatrix used them as pendants for a necklace once and Juliana used them as a wedding tiara/bandeau (together with small pearls), probably to honour her husband Prince Berhard as the symbol of the Lippe family is a rose.

The Queen looked indeed very subdued, I think she used this dress before, for an official photograph (the hat looks also familiar). I can't wait for Saturday, Maxima usually knows how to sparkle on such occassions! The bride will probably be wearing the laurel wreath tiara, as did her two sisters-in-law and Margarita of Bourbon-Parma.
Marengo, thank you for once again answering one of my questions - you are a wealth of information not only on the Dutch RF, but also Dutch society in general.:)

I was particularly fascinated by your conversation with Princess Olga on the use of accents among the upper classes (or upper class wannabes). Coming from a country which doesn't really have an aristocracy, I find it hard to believe that in this day & age, people of the upper classes would still want to separate themselves from other classes through use of an accent ... but such are the mysteries of life!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Serene Highness

I would also love to see a close up of her engagement ring. Also, I'm curious if she received a ring at the Civil Wedding or if that is part of the religious ceremony -- my recollection is that it is part of the latter.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
I live in Amsterdam too and if I see someone calling out to his bulldog "winSton" with irene's rarified way of pronouncing the S, I will know that is Marengo
well, I have to practise real hard on that one (I am afraid that I am more noticable for a thick 'l'and 'w', when I do not pay attention), but it could be interesting though, I like her accent! I actually was considering to call the dog Pazz op, like the dog of Mathilde's parents (who say it with a strong french accent), but when i sawe the bulldog it was definately a Winston.
But now I am an Amsterdammer I have to try that accent first, so I am listening non-stop to Tante Leen, Willy Alberti, Johnny Jordaan and Manke Nelis (old singers from Amsterdam).
Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
Marengo, thank you for once again answering one of my questions - you are a wealth of information not only on the Dutch RF, but also Dutch society in general.:)

I was particularly fascinated by your conversation with Princess Olga on the use of accents among the upper classes (or upper class wannabes). Coming from a country which doesn't really have an aristocracy, I find it hard to believe that in this day & age, people of the upper classes would still want to separate themselves from other classes through use of an accent ... but such are the mysteries of life!
well, I am glad to be of help & I like to inform you, or other people who are interested.

As princess Olga and Eva-Britt stated, this accent is so unnatural (not only when Princess Mabel uses it) that it so obvious that it is either nouveau riche children or children who went to hockeyclubs/ certain student societies. To me it sounds silly and unsophisticated but I am sure that the people who are using it do not agree with me. The old fashioned posh way of speaking is rather elegant to me, it sounds a bit softer and more french/german.
Accents like this are not uncommon in the rest of Europe either, my friend from Portugal complains for example about the new-rich children from the suburbs of Porto, who also use a certain accent. But I think that even in the US (and maybe Canada) accents are used to distinguish people? The Texas accent isn't considered very suitable for snobbish people either I think?
Old 08-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
well, I am glad to be of help & I like to inform you, or other people who are interested.

As princess Olga and Eva-Britt stated, this accent is so unnatural (not only when Princess Mabel uses it) that it so obvious that it is either nouveau riche children or children who went to hockeyclubs/ certain student societies. To me it sounds silly and unsophisticated but I am sure that the people who are using it do not agree with me. The old fashioned posh way of speaking is rather elegant to me, it sounds a bit softer and more french/german.
Accents like this are not uncommon in the rest of Europe either, my friend from Portugal complains for example about the new-rich children from the suburbs of Porto, who also use a certain accent. But I think that even in the US (and maybe Canada) accents are used to distinguish people? The Texas accent isn't considered very suitable for snobbish people either I think?

Ooops! I hope we are not getting too off topic here ... with our talk about accents. I didn't mean to imply that in Canada, we don't distinguish people according to their accents. Like any country, we have many various accents here, but they are usually divided according to geographical regions, rather than socio-economic status. Of course, I may be very wrong about this ... my exposure to the more wealthier classes has been very limited.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations

Congratulations Pieter-Christiaan and Anita

http://www.royalpress.nl/20050825.html

Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Serene Highness

Didem, thanks for the picture of the car used to chauffeur P-C & Anita around yesterday. Thanks also for the links to the other pictures from the wedding.

I heard that the car once belonged to the late King Olav of Norway. I wonder how it came to be in possession of the Dutch RF ... it is a beautiful car and it must have added a very classy touch to the wedding.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Commoner

The limosine

The car used to transport the bride and groom did indeed once belong to the late King Olav V of Norway.
The car now is owned by a company called Meijers Autobedrijf in Utrecht, The Netherlands and not owned by the dutch royal family.
In Norway we have a rather small royal family and it has been customary to sell their old cars when the need for upgrading the court's car park arise. So it's not unusual to see old limosines previously owned by the royal court on norwegian roads. When my sister got married 2 years ago, the limosine they used was an old american limosine formerly owned by the late King Olav the V.
I guess the royal couple have borrowed the car like the normal population could do too.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Administrator

not only the norwegian RF does this, Maud-Alexandra. The oldtimer used during the wedding of the prince of Orange was sold by the dutch RF to the same company as this norwegian one, and the RF had to rent it for the wedding.

It is pretty common to rent cars I think, the dutch RF rents Mercedes-busses from 'Beuk' (a company in Noordwijk), the norwegians rented Volvo's for the wedding of the crownprince and the belgians Maybach's & Mercedesses for the wedding of Laurent and Claire for example. I am sure other royal families have the same policy.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maud Alexandra
The car used to transport the bride and groom did indeed once belong to the late King Olav V of Norway.
The car now is owned by a company called Meijers Autobedrijf in Utrecht, The Netherlands and not owned by the dutch royal family.
In Norway we have a rather small royal family and it has been customary to sell their old cars when the need for upgrading the court's car park arise. So it's not unusual to see old limosines previously owned by the royal court on norwegian roads. When my sister got married 2 years ago, the limosine they used was an old american limosine formerly owned by the late King Olav the V.
I guess the royal couple have borrowed the car like the normal population could do too.
That's so neat! It would be so cool to drive around in a car once owned by royalty - I would think that it would make you feel like royalty, at least for a few moments.

Thanks for the information Maud Alexandra & Marengo!:)
Old 08-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Commoner

Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic in my last remark. I just thought the little blue guy looked cute. :)

With so many on this tread commenting on the brides outfit, just a small remark to the grooms dressing... He wore brown shoes with a black suit. Shouldn't be that hard to coordinate two colours, should it?
I' really looking forward to seeing all the dresses and outfits at tomorrows ceremony.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

I think it is rather fashionable to wear brown (italian) shoes with a darkblue/black suit, I see it all the time around me anyway (though for a wedding it might not be quite the thing).
Old 08-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Administrator

According to Netty on the benelux royals MB, the wedding dresses of Anita, Aimee, Marilene, Annette and Margriet will be on display at Palace het Loo from 6 November. The clothes from the civil weddings will also be on display!

Very nice! I remember that I saw the weddingdresses of Maxima, Beatrix, Juliana, Wilhelmina and Emma there as well. I always disliked Julianas dress on pictures but in real life it was gorgeous and I preferred it over the other ones. So, who knows? Maybe Anita's frumpy outfit is absolutely stunning in real life.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Nice Eloise was also present! Pictures van Tellingen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	185427   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	185428   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	185429  
Old 08-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Serene Highness

Other pictures from Bruno Press
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 033.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	185437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 034.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	185438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 035.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	185439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 045.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	185441  

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 043.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	185442   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 054.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	185443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 055.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	185444  
Old 08-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Pictures from the family Bruno Press
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 003.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	185448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 007.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	185449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 009.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	185450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Huwelijk PC en Anita 012.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	185451  

Old 08-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshelen
Nice Eloise was also present! Pictures van Tellingen
Thanks for the pictures MissHelen.:) It's so nice to see little Eloise, and I'm relieved that she seems to have a better sense of fashion than her mother.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Serene Highness

From Hello:

26 AUGUST 2005

The Dutch royal family has welcomed a new member after Prince Pieter-Christiaan tied the knot with his long-time partner Anita van Eijk. A select group of family and friends, including the groom's aunt Queen Beatrix, were in attendance for the wedding in Apeldoorn's Het Loo Palace.

In the moment he said "I do" Pieter-Christiaan, who is the third son of Princess Margriet, lost his claim to the throne. Under the Dutch constitution members of the royal household must seek permission from parliament before making their vows or else face being removed from the line of accession.

The prince decided to forego the procedure, however, as he is at the lower end of a long list of potential heirs and there is very little chance of him ever being called on to become king. It seems almost certain that any petition for official approval would have been granted, though, as several of the country's leading politicians were there to congratulate him on his big day.

Pieter-Christiaan and Anita, who is a communications consultant, have been looking forward to their walk down the aisle since last February when they announced their engagement. And the celebrations are set to continue through the weekend, as the civil wedding is to be followed by a formal religious blessing on Saturday afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dutchwedding-dop1a.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	185559   Click image for larger version

Name:	dutchwedding-dop2a.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	185560  

Tags
oranje-nassau, prince pieter-christiaan, princess anita, van vollenhoven, wedding