The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2005, 10:51 PM
Aristocracy

What type of family does Anita come from? Obviously they are not aristocratic, but are they educated and wealthy? To socialize in the same circles as a Dutch prince, she is probably not your average middle class girl. Could someone please elaborate?
Also, what type of personality does she have? She seems to be approachable, friendly and down to earth.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Courtier

so will Anita now be known as Anita, Princess of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven?

Old 08-25-2005, 11:16 PM
Serene Highness

Paloma,

Pieter Christiaan and Anita are said to have met "at a party in London" some time ago when they both worked in that city.

Now, I'm not well versed in the professional background of these two and I certainly don't know the 'skinny' on Anita's background or anything, but I happen to have a bunch of friends who all work in the financial industry in London, and from them I heard that in that world, i e the financial/banking world in Britain's capital, it is not all that uncommon to be bumping into people of wealth/high society if you will.

According to my friends, there's a slew of royalty living in and working in London, so go figure. I believe it too, as I have been on several business trips to that city and have been taken by various types of people to supposedly "exclusive" clubs such as the Home House, where supposedly Madonna is a member. So in a nutshell, contrary to popular myth, London is quite the equalitarian spot!
Old 08-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

And as for whether Anita's family is 'educated and wealthy' as asked--

the Netherlands is a country where almost everyone you'd bump into is very well educated. Universities are pretty much accessible to anyone, (if you have earned the appropriate grades in high school that are required to qualify for college/university.

And as for whether her family's wealthy...as a whole, the Netherlands is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, but individually, you'd find that most Dutch citizens would qualify as decidedly "middle class" even the ones that can boast high salaries! One reason is the high tax rate in that country, but that would be another thread, or even forum, entirely....
(ha unless we'd do the thread "which royals pay taxes" or sth like that

So if I'd have to bet, I'd say Anita's probably from a middle class background, like most Dutch citizens. But then again, I don't know anything about her family background, except that I read somewhere that she lost a sibling way back when..
Old 08-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Aristocracy

The brides outfit would have been nice if it had fit better. It should have been more tailored. It overwhelmed her. The colors were bright and quite nice. IMO The bride and groom radiated happiness, which is the most important.
Someone please help Laurentien. She and Mabel are a danger to our eyesight. I guess people just don't have the courage to tell them the truth about their fashion sense. They look like they belong in the circus.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Nobility

Aww, they seem so happy! I love Anita's facial expressions in some of the photos!

Now, onto the clothes. I liked Queen Beatrix and Aimee's outfits the most. All the men looked handsome. I'm not too wild about Annette's skirt with boots and Anita's suit (although her smile makes it look 1,000 times better than it would have otherwise). But I think Laurentian's outfit is the worst of all!

Lastly, a question: is Anita going to be calles princess, or not?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:50 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

According to the royal website she is:

'Prinses Anita verkrijgt door haar huwelijk geen adeldom. Wel kan zij de titels van haar echtgenoot voeren. Haar titels en aanspreeknaam zijn: Prinses van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven-van Eijk'

So she is not an aristocrat but she can use her husbands title which would make her Princess van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven-van Eijk

btw Princess Anita sounds extremely strange. Whenever we (dutch) describe somebody from the lowest classes (as far as we have them) we use the term Johnny's and Anita's.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
And as for whether Anita's family is 'educated and wealthy' as asked--

the Netherlands is a country where almost everyone you'd bump into is very well educated. Universities are pretty much accessible to anyone, (if you have earned the appropriate grades in high school that are required to qualify for college/university.

And as for whether her family's wealthy...as a whole, the Netherlands is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, but individually, you'd find that most Dutch citizens would qualify as decidedly "middle class" even the ones that can boast high salaries! One reason is the high tax rate in that country, but that would be another thread, or even forum, entirely....
(ha unless we'd do the thread "which royals pay taxes" or sth like that

So if I'd have to bet, I'd say Anita's probably from a middle class background, like most Dutch citizens. But then again, I don't know anything about her family background, except that I read somewhere that she lost a sibling way back when..
You are correct princess Olga. Judging from her accent she is belongs to the middle upperclass (younger people from this background tend to have a monstuous 'r', which is often used in student societies and even the princes suffer from it -though luckily the crownprince is improving. The purpose of this 'r' is to sound posh and to blend in in the hockeyclub I assume. The only dutch-born pincess who does not suffer from it is Anette). Anita's parents are well off but not extremely rich. Her father must have had an international carreer (Shell maybe?) as the family lived in France and Singapore.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
What are the "diamond roses"? Are these broaches?

And speaking of the Queen, I really like the way she appeared to make an effort to stay in the background today! Her clothes were nice, but not flashy. And she seemed to be almost running up the stairs to the Palace, as if to say, please ignore me today ...

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=184960
Correct, the brooches are diamond rose. The queen wore them for example as well when she got engaged to Prince Claus. There are 5 roses which can be used differently. Beatrix used them as pendants for a necklace once and Juliana used them as a wedding tiara/bandeau (together with small pearls), probably to honour her husband Prince Berhard as the symbol of the Lippe family is a rose.

The Queen looked indeed very subdued, I think she used this dress before, for an official photograph (the hat looks also familiar). I can't wait for Saturday, Maxima usually knows how to sparkle on such occassions! The bride will probably be wearing the laurel wreath tiara, as did her two sisters-in-law and Margarita of Bourbon-Parma.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Serene Highness

"btw Princess Anita sounds extremely strange. Whenever we (dutch) describe somebody from the lowest classes (as far as we have them) we use the term Johnny's and Anita's."

LOL, Marengo, that is sooo true! I didn't want to bring it up as it might be considered a real insider joke so to speak, but you explained it well!

And as for that very particular "R" sound that Dutch people use when they either <want> to be perceived as upper class or whether they're just 'born to the manor' with it, I didn't know Anita has one, too, that's a bit disappointing actually. I'm glad to hear WA is losing his!! Whew! I guess we have Maxima to thank for that one!
And as for Annette not having that horrible "r", does she happen to be from Brabant/Limburg? Or the North? Ah, for such a compact piece of land, the Netherlands has a <ton> of regional accents and even languages, that is just so fascinating!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:35 AM
Courtier

telegraaf.nl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TE_2S_20050826_1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	185123   Click image for larger version

Name:	TE_2S_20050826_3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	185124  
Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks, but I think the term Johnny and Anita is a bit old, these days one can be glad to be named like that as many parents give their children utterly vulgar names (they want to be original and uncommon, but they are very common in this wish). A cousin of mine, to the shock of the family, called her son and daughter Aurum and Venice. Can you imagine being 80 years old and your name is Venice??? What a burden! The worst name I saw this week in the 'born' section of the newspaper was 'Danysha'.

The accents.... pff, where shall I start? It is my favourite frustration at the university. I dislike people immediately (to quickly most of the times) when they have this accent. Especially at university it is a plague, it is so fake and terribly ugly and pretentious! All the princes suffer from it as well, most notably Friso and Pieter-Christiaan. Laurentien had it as well (of course with such a father one could not expect differently), which was one of the main reasons that she was not that much liked in the beginning of her marriage, later on everybody saw that Laurentien was actually quite down-to-earth and likeble, and even the accent is not that horrible anymore.

WA scaled down quite a bit on the accent as well (it is still there though), it must be either Maxima or a PR consultant who are the cause of this. The elder royals speak in a much more natural way, although their accent is much more sophisicated then that of the younger generation. I think the Queen is unique in her way of talking and Irene, Margriet and Christina talk as one would expect from 'old money families'.

In my opinion Mabel has the worst accent. I heard the engagement announcement on the radio, but I switched chanel because of the horrible (HORRIBLE!!!) accent of hers.

I dont think Anette is from Brabant but from the province of Utrecht (I am not sure about it though). Her way of speaking doesn t have any pretentions and could pass as standard dutch.
--

There are indeed so many accents here, which surprises my foreign friends as well. Sometimes television even uses subtitles when people from the (north)east or the south (or Flanders) are speaking.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Courtier

I was thniking about Tomorrow's ceremony. It's on the afternoon, right?So I suppose it means long dresse and tiaras for ladies, and long jackets for men?

(because I remember last year:the Danish wedding on the afternoon: long gowns and tiaras; Spanish wedding on the morning: knee-lenght dresses and hats.)

Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks Marengo for the explanations regarding their accents. I'm Dutch myself but have never heard the majority of the DRF speak..

..although I happen to have caught the press conference of when Mabel and Friso announced they were engaged on TV, so I know what they and the queen sound like.

And I <completely> agree with you Marengo: Mabel must have the absolute most horrible accent of anyone Dutch I've ever come across (and since I grew up there, that's a lot of people).

Mabel's is so completely unnatural, in a awful nasal way, I can't explain it, it just sounded so so awfully pretentious in the most fake of ways. Nothing against the woman per se, I know she's great as a lobbyist for some worthy causes and all, but that accent! I am convinced that if I'd ever bumped into her and she'd start speaking to me, I'd burst out laughing, that's how ridiculous her accent is!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
I don't think either Princess attended the service. I imagine though that they will both be at the Church on Saturday. Christina is supposed to sing at the wedding (although there have been rumours that she is having problems with her voice). We will have to wait & see.
Thanks lots Squidgy for your answer.Becuase i saw a picture of the ladies sat in the line with the Queen, there was someone look like Princess Irene.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 AM
Aristocracy

Sure Mabel has a terrible accent. Sometimes she looks so beautiful and she is always very friendly, but if she opens her mouth then I think 'oh my god, running!'
Old 08-26-2005, 04:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I live in Amsterdam too and if I see someone calling out to his bulldog "winSton" with irene's rarified way of pronouncing the S, I will know that is Marengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Thanks, but I think the term Johnny and Anita is a bit old, these days one can be glad to be named like that as many parents give their children utterly vulgar names (they want to be original and uncommon, but they are very common in this wish). A cousin of mine, to the shock of the family, called her son and daughter Aurum and Venice. Can you imagine being 80 years old and your name is Venice??? What a burden! The worst name I saw this week in the 'born' section of the newspaper was 'Danysha'.

The accents.... pff, where shall I start? It is my favourite frustration at the university. I dislike people immediately (to quickly most of the times) when they have this accent. Especially at university it is a plague, it is so fake and terribly ugly and pretentious! All the princes suffer from it as well, most notably Friso and Pieter-Christiaan. Laurentien had it as well (of course with such a father one could not expect differently), which was one of the main reasons that she was not that much liked in the beginning of her marriage, later on everybody saw that Laurentien was actually quite down-to-earth and likeble, and even the accent is not that horrible anymore.

WA scaled down quite a bit on the accent as well (it is still there though), it must be either Maxima or a PR consultant who are the cause of this. The elder royals speak in a much more natural way, although their accent is much more sophisicated then that of the younger generation. I think the Queen is unique in her way of talking and Irene, Margriet and Christina talk as one would expect from 'old money families'.

In my opinion Mabel has the worst accent. I heard the engagement announcement on the radio, but I switched chanel because of the horrible (HORRIBLE!!!) accent of hers.

I dont think Anette is from Brabant but from the province of Utrecht (I am not sure about it though). Her way of speaking doesn t have any pretentions and could pass as standard dutch.
--

There are indeed so many accents here, which surprises my foreign friends as well. Sometimes television even uses subtitles when people from the (north)east or the south (or Flanders) are speaking.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I know that Prince WA and Princess Maxima will attend the Church Blessing on Saturday,i think they will bring CA there probably,not sure about Alexia.But how about Friso and Mabel will they attend the Church Blessing on Saturday?
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Heir Apparent

anita's outfit wasn't nice at all, but they really looked happy and that was great to see. it was a pity we couldn't see maxima and mabel there...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Courtier

I have to say much of the Dutch royal family must be colorblind. Eeek! What an awful outfit. Can we say 1960? It was all very old ladyish. The only two people who I thought were really stylish were the woman in Lilac and the Queen. One of the women in Black and White looked good too. They need to get some decent fashion advisors, and quick!! Their outfits do nothing for them.

But what is great is they all look very happy. I wish them the best. Does anyone have a close up of her engagement ring?? I'm still also trying to see a close up of Mabels too.

Black and white is no longer unsuitable for weddings. It can be worn in a chic manner. People didn't wear black to weddings for a long time because of a hold over from the Victorian era when they used to wear black as a sign of mourning. Just as white became a symbol for wedding dresses. Once again you have to thank the Victorians for that. Before that wedding dresses were a variety of colors. That is why you wouldn't wear white to a funeral as it was considered a sign of innocence and rebirth or purity. But now you can.
:) :) :)

Tags
oranje-nassau, prince pieter-christiaan, princess anita, van vollenhoven, wedding