The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
... and I think all the men in the immediate families made a pact to wear those yellow ties.:)
I think so, too, when you look at this picture, you can see, that there just in the backround one or two have another colored tie

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=184891

Old 08-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
It means, "with anita, I feel like I can take on the world."
Ah! That is truly lovely!

Does anyone have any news of anything else that happened at the wedding?

Old 08-25-2005, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I actually like Anita's and Laurentien's outfits. They're colorful and fun-goes with the sunny summer. Maybe a little too fun for a wedding :p but still a welcome change from the ultra-sleek ultra-minimalist look you see when women try to look fashionable.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Seeger Press
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00145822.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	185020   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00145818.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	185021   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00145821.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	185022   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00145823.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	185023  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-SEEGER00145827.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	185024  
Old 08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidgy
Ah! That is truly lovely!

Does anyone have any news of anything else that happened at the wedding?
In what I saw of the press conference, they said they are going on a honeymoon after the wedding saturday. there will be a large dinner and party, featuring some british singer named Katie Melua(that was supposed to be a surprise but the news leaked out) Friday, the couple will spend the day with their friends who flew in from foreign countries.

The couple was supposedly very nervous at first but the funny speech of the mayor of apeldoorn put them at ease. After the vows he said," I think it's pretty obvious what should happen now" and the couple kissed.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 PM
Aristocracy

I just love the couples' happy smiles. They seem to radiate such joy. As for the outfits, what hasn't been said here already? Yikes!!!

I don't want to be catty but what was Laurentien thinking with that outfit? Was she trying to upstage the bride? Allthough the bride do a bit her self with the colorful outfit. Maybe on the other hand HH PC actually likes that about her. I say all happiness to them.
Linda85
Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

royal portraits part 1
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Emily, to answer some of your questions:

the ceremony was held at the Paleis Het Loo, in the city of Apeldoorn. (This is incedentally the home town of the groom.) This huge chateau was once a residence of Queen Wilhelmina.

As for the whole civil ceremony tradition, I really don't get why the happy couple can't combine it with the church ceremony on the same day! That's what WA and Maxima did, and that's what I would do myself: that way, you don't have to pick a dress for the civil ceremony, a very tricky thing as it turns out (picking the outfit that is!).

The groom has three brothers:
Maurits
Bernard
and Floris
Old 08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Serene Highness

Royal portraits part 2
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
In what I saw of the press conference, they said they are going on a honeymoon after the wedding saturday. there will be a large dinner and party, featuring some british singer named Katie Melua(that was supposed to be a surprise but the news leaked out) Friday, the couple will spend the day with their friends who flew in from foreign countries.

The couple was supposedly very nervous at first but the funny speech of the mayor of apeldoorn put them at ease. After the vows he said," I think it's pretty obvious what should happen now" and the couple kissed.
Thanks so much Pollyemma for this news. Sounds like the Mayor of Apeldoorn performed well at the ceremony. Humour is always welcome!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Serene Highness

about the outfits:

boy oh boy do I agree with most of you! A royal title and/or wealth does <not> necessarily buy great taste as well!

I agree that it's nice the bride didn't go for a minimalist-type outfit. But come on, did she have to wear <this>? Where are professional stylists when you need them?! Let me put it this way: if you would digitally 'photoshop' the head of the bride off of the pictures so that you could only see the body, and then you would show this to unsuspecting folks and ask them to estimate the age of the wearer of the dress, people would probably put her in her late 50's or 60's.
As someone said earlier, it looks like she borrowed her outfit from Beatrix, who, incidentally, turned up better dressed than a lot of the other guests.

And Laurentien....holy sweepstakes!! The only thing more flabbergastingly incomprehensible than that outfit, is the innocently oblivious look on the face of Constantijn, her husband. Is it true, after all, that men are <blind>?

By the way, I do very much like the bride and groom as they both seem down to earth, friendly people without one ounce of pretension. But the bride's dress...ok well, the colors I liked, and the stones glued onto it. But the cut could have been more flattering, as could the pattern.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent

What's a colourful event!Anita looks really pretty and happy.The other Royal Ladies also looked beautiful and elegant but except Princess Laurentien's outfit.Anyone see Princess Irene and Princess Christina?Did they attend?
My best wishes to the couple with all the happiness for their life.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Anyone see Princess Irene and Princess Christina?Did they attend?
I don't think either Princess attended the service. I imagine though that they will both be at the Church on Saturday. Christina is supposed to sing at the wedding (although there have been rumours that she is having problems with her voice). We will have to wait & see.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Commoner

I'd have to say that Aimee was the best-dressed lady at the ceremony today.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

Thank you for answering my questions Princess Olga!
Old 08-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Courtier

Great wedding!
They make the best husbands!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
As patrick said, the Queen was there. WA and Maxima will attend the religious ceremony. The queen was wearing her diamond roses.
What are the "diamond roses"? Are these broaches?

And speaking of the Queen, I really like the way she appeared to make an effort to stay in the background today! Her clothes were nice, but not flashy. And she seemed to be almost running up the stairs to the Palace, as if to say, please ignore me today ...

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=184960
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Courtier

I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here, but I quite like Anita's suit dress. From a distance, the color was vibrant and matched her vibrant smile. The design of the jacket reminds me of Jackie Onassis collars. Honestly! It's not as bad as people think!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightrhapsody
I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here, but I quite like Anita's suit dress. From a distance, the color was vibrant and matched her vibrant smile. The design of the jacket reminds me of Jackie Onassis collars. Honestly! It's not as bad as people think!
I second that. I liked Anita's suit though the stones could have been avoided but who cares. She was so happy and in love. Actually this type of pattern is very prevalent in South Asia- I read somewhere that she was also brought up in Singapore. Maybe it was her way of incorporating something of the culture she has been in close contact with.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Serene Highness

Capricorninin wrote: "Maybe it was her way of incorporating something of the culture she has been in close contact with."

Right, hence the sea wead/coral pattern, the stones and the turkoise colors. I get that..

But..what happened to wearability??

I'm all for symbolism (OT, hell, I just finished the intriguing book "the Da Vinci Code"--speak about symbolism! I'm probably the <last> person on the entire planet to read this best seller!)

BUT...why oh why is it often the <ugliest> fashion concoctions that have all these great concepts and symbols behind the design?

I'm starting to endorse the theory that says that the more concept/symbolism behind a design of a piece of clothing, often the uglier the wedding dress/evening gown/etc.

The idea being, the more concepts the designer tried to build in, the less he/she had time to also incorporate the concept of <wearability>.

hahaha I now wonder what great concept/idea was behind good old Laurentien's dress! Perhaps the concept of the Ultimate Fashion Faux Pas? OK that's mean, but I couldn't help myself.

Tags
oranje-nassau, prince pieter-christiaan, princess anita, van vollenhoven, wedding