Prince Pieter-Christiaan of Orange-Nassau and Anita van Eijk: August 25 and 27, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pollyemma said:
It means, "with anita, I feel like I can take on the world."

Ah! That is truly lovely!

Does anyone have any news of anything else that happened at the wedding?

I actually like Anita's and Laurentien's outfits. They're colorful and fun-goes with the sunny summer. Maybe a little too fun for a wedding :p but still a welcome change from the ultra-sleek ultra-minimalist look you see when women try to look fashionable.

Seeger Press

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00145818.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00145818.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 411
  • pre-SEEGER00145821.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00145821.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 425
  • pre-SEEGER00145823.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00145823.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 366
  • pre-SEEGER00145827.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00145827.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 447
  • pre-SEEGER00145822.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00145822.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 413
Squidgy said:
Ah! That is truly lovely!

Does anyone have any news of anything else that happened at the wedding?

In what I saw of the press conference, they said they are going on a honeymoon after the wedding saturday. there will be a large dinner and party, featuring some british singer named Katie Melua(that was supposed to be a surprise but the news leaked out) Friday, the couple will spend the day with their friends who flew in from foreign countries.

The couple was supposedly very nervous at first but the funny speech of the mayor of apeldoorn put them at ease. After the vows he said," I think it's pretty obvious what should happen now" and the couple kissed.

I just love the couples' happy smiles. They seem to radiate such joy. As for the outfits, what hasn't been said here already? Yikes!!!

I don't want to be catty but what was Laurentien thinking with that outfit? Was she trying to upstage the bride? Allthough the bride do a bit her self with the colorful outfit. Maybe on the other hand HH PC actually likes that about her. I say all happiness to them.
Linda85

royal portraits part 1

Attachments

• IMGPCA4356.jpg
    IMGPCA4356.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 404
  • IMGPCA4397.jpg
    IMGPCA4397.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 556
  • IMGPCA4383.jpg
    IMGPCA4383.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 484
  • IMGPCA4281.jpg
    IMGPCA4281.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 424
  • IMGPCA4267.jpg
    IMGPCA4267.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 510
  • IMGPCA4260.jpg
    IMGPCA4260.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 529
  • IMGPCA4248.jpg
    IMGPCA4248.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 539
Emily, to answer some of your questions:

the ceremony was held at the Paleis Het Loo, in the city of Apeldoorn. (This is incedentally the home town of the groom.) This huge chateau was once a residence of Queen Wilhelmina.

As for the whole civil ceremony tradition, I really don't get why the happy couple can't combine it with the church ceremony on the same day! That's what WA and Maxima did, and that's what I would do myself: that way, you don't have to pick a dress for the civil ceremony, a very tricky thing as it turns out (picking the outfit that is!).

The groom has three brothers:
Maurits
Bernard
and Floris

Royal portraits part 2

Attachments

• IMGPCA4081.jpg
    IMGPCA4081.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 541
  • IMGPCA4110.jpg
    IMGPCA4110.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 554
  • IMGPCA4125.jpg
    IMGPCA4125.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 426
  • IMGPCA4133.jpg
    IMGPCA4133.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 550
  • IMGPCA4134.jpg
    IMGPCA4134.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 540
  • IMGPCA4151.jpg
    IMGPCA4151.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 422
  • IMGPCA4142.jpg
    IMGPCA4142.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 443
pollyemma said:
In what I saw of the press conference, they said they are going on a honeymoon after the wedding saturday. there will be a large dinner and party, featuring some british singer named Katie Melua(that was supposed to be a surprise but the news leaked out) Friday, the couple will spend the day with their friends who flew in from foreign countries.

The couple was supposedly very nervous at first but the funny speech of the mayor of apeldoorn put them at ease. After the vows he said," I think it's pretty obvious what should happen now" and the couple kissed.

Thanks so much Pollyemma for this news. Sounds like the Mayor of Apeldoorn performed well at the ceremony. Humour is always welcome!:D

about the outfits:

boy oh boy do I agree with most of you! A royal title and/or wealth does <not> necessarily buy great taste as well!

I agree that it's nice the bride didn't go for a minimalist-type outfit. But come on, did she have to wear <this>? Where are professional stylists when you need them?! Let me put it this way: if you would digitally 'photoshop' the head of the bride off of the pictures so that you could only see the body, and then you would show this to unsuspecting folks and ask them to estimate the age of the wearer of the dress, people would probably put her in her late 50's or 60's.
As someone said earlier, it looks like she borrowed her outfit from Beatrix, who, incidentally, turned up better dressed than a lot of the other guests.

And Laurentien....holy sweepstakes!! The only thing more flabbergastingly incomprehensible than that outfit, is the innocently oblivious look on the face of Constantijn, her husband. Is it true, after all, that men are <blind>?

By the way, I do very much like the bride and groom as they both seem down to earth, friendly people without one ounce of pretension. But the bride's dress...ok well, the colors I liked, and the stones glued onto it. But the cut could have been more flattering, as could the pattern.

What's a colourful event!Anita looks really pretty and happy.The other Royal Ladies also looked beautiful and elegant but except Princess Laurentien's outfit.Anyone see Princess Irene and Princess Christina?Did they attend?
My best wishes to the couple with all the happiness for their life.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Anyone see Princess Irene and Princess Christina?Did they attend?

I don't think either Princess attended the service. I imagine though that they will both be at the Church on Saturday. Christina is supposed to sing at the wedding (although there have been rumours that she is having problems with her voice). We will have to wait & see.

I'd have to say that Aimee was the best-dressed lady at the ceremony today.

Thank you for answering my questions Princess Olga!

Marengo said:
As patrick said, the Queen was there. WA and Maxima will attend the religious ceremony. The queen was wearing her diamond roses.

What are the "diamond roses"? Are these broaches?

And speaking of the Queen, I really like the way she appeared to make an effort to stay in the background today! Her clothes were nice, but not flashy. And she seemed to be almost running up the stairs to the Palace, as if to say, please ignore me today ...

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184960

Last edited:
I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here, but I quite like Anita's suit dress. From a distance, the color was vibrant and matched her vibrant smile. The design of the jacket reminds me of Jackie Onassis collars. Honestly! It's not as bad as people think!

Moonlightrhapsody said:
I'm going to have to disagree with the majority here, but I quite like Anita's suit dress. From a distance, the color was vibrant and matched her vibrant smile. The design of the jacket reminds me of Jackie Onassis collars. Honestly! It's not as bad as people think!

I second that. I liked Anita's suit though the stones could have been avoided but who cares. She was so happy and in love. Actually this type of pattern is very prevalent in South Asia- I read somewhere that she was also brought up in Singapore. Maybe it was her way of incorporating something of the culture she has been in close contact with.

Capricorninin wrote: "Maybe it was her way of incorporating something of the culture she has been in close contact with."

Right, hence the sea wead/coral pattern, the stones and the turkoise colors. I get that..

But..what happened to wearability??

I'm all for symbolism (OT, hell, I just finished the intriguing book "the Da Vinci Code"--speak about symbolism! I'm probably the <last> person on the entire planet to read this best seller!)

BUT...why oh why is it often the <ugliest> fashion concoctions that have all these great concepts and symbols behind the design?

I'm starting to endorse the theory that says that the more concept/symbolism behind a design of a piece of clothing, often the uglier the wedding dress/evening gown/etc.

The idea being, the more concepts the designer tried to build in, the less he/she had time to also incorporate the concept of <wearability>.

hahaha I now wonder what great concept/idea was behind good old Laurentien's dress! Perhaps the concept of the Ultimate Fashion Faux Pas? OK that's mean, but I couldn't help myself.

What type of family does Anita come from? Obviously they are not aristocratic, but are they educated and wealthy? To socialize in the same circles as a Dutch prince, she is probably not your average middle class girl. Could someone please elaborate?
Also, what type of personality does she have? She seems to be approachable, friendly and down to earth.

so will Anita now be known as Anita, Princess of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven?

Paloma,

Pieter Christiaan and Anita are said to have met "at a party in London" some time ago when they both worked in that city.

Now, I'm not well versed in the professional background of these two and I certainly don't know the 'skinny' on Anita's background or anything, but I happen to have a bunch of friends who all work in the financial industry in London, and from them I heard that in that world, i e the financial/banking world in Britain's capital, it is not all that uncommon to be bumping into people of wealth/high society if you will.

According to my friends, there's a slew of royalty living in and working in London, so go figure. I believe it too, as I have been on several business trips to that city and have been taken by various types of people to supposedly "exclusive" clubs such as the Home House, where supposedly Madonna is a member. So in a nutshell, contrary to popular myth, London is quite the equalitarian spot!

And as for whether Anita's family is 'educated and wealthy' as asked--

the Netherlands is a country where almost everyone you'd bump into is very well educated. Universities are pretty much accessible to anyone, (if you have earned the appropriate grades in high school that are required to qualify for college/university.

And as for whether her family's wealthy...as a whole, the Netherlands is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, but individually, you'd find that most Dutch citizens would qualify as decidedly "middle class" even the ones that can boast high salaries! One reason is the high tax rate in that country, but that would be another thread, or even forum, entirely....
(ha unless we'd do the thread "which royals pay taxes" or sth like that ;)

So if I'd have to bet, I'd say Anita's probably from a middle class background, like most Dutch citizens. But then again, I don't know anything about her family background, except that I read somewhere that she lost a sibling way back when..

Last edited:
The brides outfit would have been nice if it had fit better. It should have been more tailored. It overwhelmed her. The colors were bright and quite nice. IMO The bride and groom radiated happiness, which is the most important.
Someone please help Laurentien. She and Mabel are a danger to our eyesight. I guess people just don't have the courage to tell them the truth about their fashion sense. They look like they belong in the circus.

Aww, they seem so happy! I love Anita's facial expressions in some of the photos!

Now, onto the clothes. I liked Queen Beatrix and Aimee's outfits the most. All the men looked handsome. I'm not too wild about Annette's skirt with boots and Anita's suit (although her smile makes it look 1,000 times better than it would have otherwise). But I think Laurentian's outfit is the worst of all!

Lastly, a question: is Anita going to be calles princess, or not?

According to the royal website she is:

'Prinses Anita verkrijgt door haar huwelijk geen adeldom. Wel kan zij de titels van haar echtgenoot voeren. Haar titels en aanspreeknaam zijn: Prinses van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven-van Eijk'

So she is not an aristocrat but she can use her husbands title which would make her Princess van Oranje-Nassau, van Vollenhoven-van Eijk

btw Princess Anita sounds extremely strange. Whenever we (dutch) describe somebody from the lowest classes (as far as we have them) we use the term Johnny's and Anita's.

princess olga said:
And as for whether Anita's family is 'educated and wealthy' as asked--

the Netherlands is a country where almost everyone you'd bump into is very well educated. Universities are pretty much accessible to anyone, (if you have earned the appropriate grades in high school that are required to qualify for college/university.

And as for whether her family's wealthy...as a whole, the Netherlands is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, but individually, you'd find that most Dutch citizens would qualify as decidedly "middle class" even the ones that can boast high salaries! One reason is the high tax rate in that country, but that would be another thread, or even forum, entirely....
(ha unless we'd do the thread "which royals pay taxes" or sth like that ;)

So if I'd have to bet, I'd say Anita's probably from a middle class background, like most Dutch citizens. But then again, I don't know anything about her family background, except that I read somewhere that she lost a sibling way back when..

You are correct princess Olga. Judging from her accent she is belongs to the middle upperclass (younger people from this background tend to have a monstuous 'r', which is often used in student societies and even the princes suffer from it -though luckily the crownprince is improving. The purpose of this 'r' is to sound posh and to blend in in the hockeyclub I assume. The only dutch-born pincess who does not suffer from it is Anette). Anita's parents are well off but not extremely rich. Her father must have had an international carreer (Shell maybe?) as the family lived in France and Singapore.

Squidgy said:
What are the "diamond roses"? Are these broaches?

And speaking of the Queen, I really like the way she appeared to make an effort to stay in the background today! Her clothes were nice, but not flashy. And she seemed to be almost running up the stairs to the Palace, as if to say, please ignore me today ...

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=184960

Correct, the brooches are diamond rose. The queen wore them for example as well when she got engaged to Prince Claus. There are 5 roses which can be used differently. Beatrix used them as pendants for a necklace once and Juliana used them as a wedding tiara/bandeau (together with small pearls), probably to honour her husband Prince Berhard as the symbol of the Lippe family is a rose.

The Queen looked indeed very subdued, I think she used this dress before, for an official photograph (the hat looks also familiar). I can't wait for Saturday, Maxima usually knows how to sparkle on such occassions! The bride will probably be wearing the laurel wreath tiara, as did her two sisters-in-law and Margarita of Bourbon-Parma.

"btw Princess Anita sounds extremely strange. Whenever we (dutch) describe somebody from the lowest classes (as far as we have them) we use the term Johnny's and Anita's."

LOL, Marengo, that is sooo true! I didn't want to bring it up as it might be considered a real insider joke so to speak, but you explained it well!

And as for that very particular "R" sound that Dutch people use when they either <want> to be perceived as upper class or whether they're just 'born to the manor' with it, I didn't know Anita has one, too, that's a bit disappointing actually. I'm glad to hear WA is losing his!! Whew! I guess we have Maxima to thank for that one!
And as for Annette not having that horrible "r", does she happen to be from Brabant/Limburg? Or the North? Ah, for such a compact piece of land, the Netherlands has a <ton> of regional accents and even languages, that is just so fascinating!

Back
Top Bottom