Prince Philippe, Duke of Brabant and Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz: 4 December 1999

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is the most exquisite veil. I absolutely love it!

The veil was originally the veil of Laura Mosselman du Chenoy (1851-1925) , she was the second daughter of count Theéodire Mosselman du Chenoy and Isabelle Coghen.
Laura Mosselman Du Chenoy married in 1877 with Beniamino Tristano Ruffo Di Calabria (1848-1901), major of Napoli and became in 1984 mother of Fulca Ruffo Di Calabria, father of the current Belgian queen Paola.

The veil who Laura wore in 1877 was also worn in 1919 by her daughter in law Lisa countess Gazelli Di Rossana e Di Sebastiano during her wedding with Fulca Ruffo di Calabria and by queen Paola in 1959 during her wedding with king Albert II of Belgium. Also Astrid, Mathilde and Claire wore the veil with their weddings.

The veil was restorated in 1984 and 1999.

Mathilde is a graceful lady, and is beautiful of course, but I do not like her gown at all~~

I agree, beautiful woman, beautiful veil, disappointing gown. I thought it looked severe and plain. It didn't suit her delicate fairy princess looks at all.

Re: CPss Mathilde of Belgium and Duchess of Branbant wedding gown

Hiya Everyone,

Thank you everyone for the posting the great links for photos and videos.

She was a radiant bride whose happiness shone through on that day that she married her husband and prince.

Does anyone know who designed her wedding gown and jacket? And was the jacket embroidered with pearls and or crystals?

Also, does anyone know where the veil was made and which type of lace and fabric is it ?

Also, who are the royal florists for the royal court and which flowers were used?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Thank you.
Emeralds and Opals

Can anyone tell me what date they were engaged?

On september 13th 1999. :flowers:

How lovely is Mathilde in her wedding dress! and the tiara is really beautiful:flowers:

Yes, and how lovely are the earrings with a pearl and diamonds.

Why hasn't she wore the wedding tiara for a second time after the wedding? I really like her wedding tiara!

Is there any actual footage of Mathilde and Philippe's wedding? There is footage of all the other royal weddings on youtube, except theirs. Does anyone know where else there might be some?

crown prince Philippe and crown princess Mathilde, 4 december 1999

This royal marriage is a lovely present for the belgium people. For the very first day , the couple are a source of inspiration for the country. That 4 december the princess told us in the language of the images, that a royal marriage (including the ceremony) is a foundation stone of a life together ,in the service of the country.

Out of all the Royal Weddings over the last decade, this one got the least amount of coverage here in Canada and I only saw the one article in one of the Royalty magazines. It's been fun going through the thread and looking back at what's become one of my all time favourite Royal Wedding Dresses.

Mathilde really was stunning and glowing that day. She really was a radiant Bride.

Hard to believe it's ten years and a bit already.

Mathilde's dress was beautiful and she looked stunning. Is the only wedding dress coat I like. It fitted her so well. I prefer royal winter weddings than summer ones. :flowers:

A few of those aren't viewable in my region :sad:
I guess I'll have to 'make do' with the others :)
Off-topic but are there any longer videos available on Elisabeth's birth, (there's a short segment in one of the links)?

Thanks for the photos!
It is great that Japanese Crown Princely couple attended the wedding. Lalla Hasna looked nice.

Haven't they kissed in the balcony? I saw all the thread and didn't see any picture of them kissing each other, just kisses in the cheak. I never saw a Catholic royal couple kissing each other in the balcony. It's strange, because in Brazil, in Catholic churches, the couple kiss even in the ceremony.

Is there any videos of this wedding?

I tried to see the videos but they don't work in my area.

Mathilde had a dashing prince waiting for her at the altar :wub:

What a wonderful wedding, they are both shy people by nature and that's why they didn't kiss in the mouth in public but their gestures just screamed of the love they (still) have for each other.

Her wedding dress was spot on for a winter wedding and he looked so handsome in his uniform :wub: a perfect couple :wub:

I am happy that they didn't kiss in public TBH. It always look akward when the public screams for a kiss, and the bridal couple obliges. It feels like marionete puppets perorming in a theatre, which upto a certain extend it is perhaps.

Marengo, truer words have rarely been spoken. It's like some silly ritual now. And if heaven forbid the couple refuses to kiss on demand it means they are not "in love" or they have an arranged marriage.

God forbid they are just private people with no interest in performing for crowds and cameras! :bang:

leidi, I completely agree about Philippe and Mathilde...they are the gold standard of CP couples, imo.

Last edited:
Completely agree with both of you, they have never been the kind to kiss in the mouth in public but they have shown great (spontaneous) demostrations of affection during the years, there's no doubt in my mind that they love each other and are very happy as a couple.

Back
Top Bottom