Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier: May 24, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought most everyone looked pretty, but P. Victoria's dress was a bit shapeless and did anyone else think Pss. Nich and Felix looked sad?

Here are my impressions of the wedding.

Loved Maries dress but yes I thought the style was common. But I have to say she looked beautiful and if a style works for you then go with it...smart girl. LOVED LOVED LOVED HER TIARA AND VEIL...simply gorgeous.

I liked Mary's dress. She's thin enough to carry the ruffles off well. Also I thought the dress was clearly light blue thereby making it acceptable for a wedding.
Like Princess Theordora and Tatiana Blatnik and Princess Benedickte and Queen Anne Marie her red dress was ravishing

I thought Princess Victoria looked okay. Not great not awful just okay. Lovd the color didnt loved the cut.

Loved Princess Martha Louise; she looked happy and content. Didnt loved the necklace and earrings.

Didnt like the color of Carina's dress. Not flattering to her skin tone and the tiara was too far back on he head.

Last edited:
was marie's veil the same that all the family used (mary, alexandra, alexia, etc)?

was marie's veil the same that all the family used (mary, alexandra, alexia, etc)?

No. Marie's veil was a different veil, made of tulle with a lace border :)

Hi carlota,

Marie's veil is of tulle with lace bordering. Quite exquisute and not the same bridal veil used by those you mentioned.

Though unmarried myself, one has given thought to what wedding dress one would hope to have, if ever in the position to wear one. And I must say, that for all the gowns I've seen, this design has my name all over it. Some mention how 'common' it looks, but it's so sedate and the detailing and materials are simply heavenly. I'm head over heels with it..hehe.

Last edited:
Are there any photos from the reception - like the cake and the cutting of the cake?

I read that the press weren't actually going to be at the reception but would the official photographer have taken any photos to be released to the press?

I think Princess Marie looked lovely and princess-like :) - the wedding IMO appeared to be very in keeping with the smaller family wedding feel. I think Marie took a more restrained approach keeping in mind that this is Joachim's second wedding and she isn't the crown princess.

Finally managed to see Alexia in one of the pictures of the gallery one of the members posted. I found something strange though. This picture it says it's Pavlos with Marie-Chantal, but that blonde lady isn't Marie-Chantal is it, she's not pregnant for what I can see!!!
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

I think the dress has to many laces on the upper part, I think that was a bit bumpkin and not to elegant, a simple dress was better and more elegant...But I think that reflects the way Marie's way of dressing during the day, a bit bumpkin to me, but that will change for sure now that she is a Princess...That veil thing was a bit difficult for Marie to handle and she was very uppset with that, but to me only one briedsmaid was an error!! The veil photos in the wind will be around the world today...Where was Marie's friend that appears in the documentary, was she the briedsmaid??
Princess Alexia was boring dressed, Mary was the best she chose a very fashionable dress and at the same time very Royal and formal, the two little ones were very well behave and they were lovely indeed, Carina was lovely in that yellow dress, Victoria very normal. It was a very lovely day and sunny, I wish them all the happiness!

I think most of us can agree that Marie is the most natrually attractive and chic princess :wub:. There were no makeovers or drastic changes to her appearance since the time she met Joachim untill today.

BTW, what's the deal with Mary wearing a "almost" white dress, I had to practically look at it from various angles and agencies to work out the COLOUR:whistling:, she looks a bit cheesed off, could be b/c she's not the center of it all now heh?

BTW, what's the deal with Mary wearing a "almost" white dress, I had to practically look at it from various angles and agencies to work out the COLOUR:whistling:, she looks a bit cheesed off, could be b/c she's not the center of it all now heh?

The above would be a perfectly sorrowfull attempt to derail what has been an enjoyable discussion, with totally unsubstantiated and rediculous statements.

As for her dress, it's unquestionably blue. Nothing "almost" white about it.

Last edited:
I absolutely loved the wedding dress. Call it common or not, it suited her. The only thing that really annoyed me was that certain aura of arrogance and cockyness that Marie has about her in public. I hope she is just trying to camouflage her nerves or incertainty, because in a lot of the pictures she just looks a tad too pleased with herself.

Do you have a link to a picture where she looks 'cheesed off' - still assuming that you were watching the same as everybody here have been watching :rolleyes: :lol:

Pastel blue almost white? :D You better lay down some new ground rules for colours allowed for wedding guests - if pastel colours are now off limit - or is it only off limit for certain persons perhaps?

I thought most everyone looked pretty, but P. Victoria's dress was a bit shapeless and did anyone else think Pss. Nich and Felix looked sad?

I don't think Nicolai and Felix looked sad. I think they were a little overwelmed by everything. First in a car to chuch with people waving at them all the way, then the photographers outside the chuch and the whole event. A bit shy also, but definitely not sad!

This has been one of the few threads on any of the royals that has not been riddled with controversy and marred by "scandal", a quite enjoyable change of pace, which I hope continues. Marie was a stunning bride, Mary an elegant and refined Crown Princess whose lovely smile showed her pleasure for her brother-in-law and his bride. And what bride wouldn't be pleased on her wedding day? Marie married the man she loves, a man who obviously loves her as well. I would look like the cat with a direct line to Blossom (the cow) in her shoes as well!

Cat

The only thing that really annoyed me was that certain aura of arrogance and cockyness that Marie has about her in public. I hope she is just trying to camouflage her nerves or incertainty, because in a lot of the pictures she just looks a tad too pleased with herself.

I guess she was simply absolutely happy and content with herself in that situation, enjoying it to the fullest - just what one wishes for every bride on her great day. The fact that there were already pics of her and Joachim both wearing simple jeans/shirt-combinations the next morning showed me that they are both not in the least pretentious in private, only accepting of their place in public.

If you'd seen the interviews and documentaries about the couple, you'd have seen that Marie is neither arrogant or cocky, only aware of what she is doing. Yep, I think she has a temper, if annoyed (Joachim said something like that and if looks could kill, her bridesmaid would be dead after stepping on Marie's train;)) but who hasn't?

i was wonder, after his divorce with his first wife, if marie has to sign a pre-nup, i presume this time she had! no acomment about this?if the queen bored hertiara, i presume now she will be more tight with the second wife?

Finally managed to see Alexia in one of the pictures of the gallery one of the members posted. I found something strange though. This picture it says it's Pavlos with Marie-Chantal, but that blonde lady isn't Marie-Chantal is it, she's not pregnant for what I can see!!!
[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

No the blonde lady with prince Nicolaos is his girlfriend Tatiana Blatnik (that is what I read) and not only PPE-agency did make mistakes with the Greek royals but Getty Images did too.

What a wonderful day...everyone looked fantastic. I couldn't help but think - when was the last time, if ever, a member of the Danish royal house married a Dane?

It is a tradition with the Danish Royal family to marry a foreigner. I don't know exactly why but that's the way it is.

Cat

It is a tradition with the Danish Royal family to marry a foreigner. I don't know exactly why but that's the way it is.

Cat

while it's quite interesting that most of the weddings in the danish RF (and we could also extend it to the greek part of the family) are with foreign people, it's not unusual since royals travel quite a bit and live quite a 'foreign' lifestyle themselves.

I think anyone with two good eyes can see Mary's dress was blue. And I've only seen pics of Mary smiling. Can you post one that shows her looking "cheesed off?" :ermm:

when was the last time, if ever, a member of the Danish royal house married a Dane?

When Prince Christian married Anne-Dorthe Maltofte-Nielsen in 1971, and became Count Christian of Rosenborg. :whistling:His brother Ingolf married Sussie in 1998, but by then he was already count of Rosenborg due to a previous marriage to a commoner.

Cat

In the event of an 'unequal marriage' (marrying a commoner), Danish princes forfeit their right of succession to the throne. These Danish princes became Counts of Rosenborg.

From what I've read, this particular rule only applied to Danish commoners so marrying foreign commoners was acceptable. I'm not sure if this is really accurate or not so hopefully someone can provide more information.

-Ayvee

Cat

Well, not really if you believe this article:

The Copenhagen Post.- Danish royals always follow their hearts

As for losing the right to inherit the throne on marrying a commoner, this is what Wiki says at: Line of succession to the Danish Throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denmark uses the same system of (male preference) primogeniture as the United Kingdom.
The Danish Act of Succession [1] adopted on 27 March 1953 restricts the throne to those descended from King Christian X and his wife, Queen Alexandrine, through approved marriages.
Dynasts lose their right to the throne if they marry without the permission of the monarch given in the Council of State. Individuals born to unmarried dynasts or to former dynasts that married without royal permission, and their descendants, are excluded from the throne. Further, when approving a marriage, the monarch can impose conditions that must be met in order for any resulting offspring to have succession rights. Part II, Section 9 of the Danish Constitution of 5 June 1953 provides that the parliament will elect a king and determine a new line of succession should a situation arise where there are no eligible descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine.

(End of quote)

So I think both Counts did not ask for or were not granted Royal permission.

:flowers:

Last edited:
No one mentioned the chauffeur who was the hero for a moment when he came to assist a helpless Marie with her veil :)

I like this wedding because it was not perfect - because the veil in the wind, the chauffeur, the ill bridemaid and the mistakes of the one remaining bridemaid, the sleeping cute little Prince, the queen who brings the had of her husband into order - these are moments that will definitely not be forgotten by Marie and Joachim...and by us :)))))

Back
Top Bottom