Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier: May 24, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure if anyone actually reads this thread anymore, but was there ever a commemorative video published like for Mary and Fred? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction on where to obtain a copy? Thank you so much in advance!

I've looked all over the place for a wedding DVD, but can't seem to find anything. Sorry!
The closest that I came to finding something was a commemorative book offered by Danish magazine Billed-Bladet:
Årbog 2008 - Billedbladet shop | Shop.dk

Does anyone know who designed her earrings? They are beautiful.

A few summaries from the wedding from my archive. A bit late but still....

http://www.bt.dk/article/20080527/royalt/80527003/

According to this article in BT Prince Joachim gave a very romantic and moving speech to his Marie. In French. Resulting in quite a few of those who understood French shedding more than one tear.
There are unfortunately no details.

Our Marie's father also gave a warm speech. Expressing his joy that Marie had found Joachim. Only the best is good enough for Marie.

The Regent Couple did not give a speech. However the Regent Couple had expressed their joy with Marie and the marriage at the party the night before.

------

Here are a number of additional tidbits and details from the wedding. All compiled by from Billed Bladet #22, 2008.

The late Queen Ingrid meant a lot to the DRF while she was around and not least to both Joachim and Frederik. So Joachim had incorporated a number of subtle details in remembrance of his grandmother (mormor). First and foremost: The wedding took place on the 24th May which is the same day the then Crown Princess Ingrid was married to Crown Prince Frederik. (Later King Frederik IX). That took place 73 years ago.
The flowers in our Marie's bouquet were very similar to those in Ingrid's bouquet.
One of the medals worn by Joachim is the remembrance medal for the arrival of Crown Princess Ingrid to Denmark (she was actually married in Sweden), a medal of which joachim is particularly fond.

As you all know by now Joachim gave a very romantic and moving speech at the dinner. To his bride Marie and her family but certainly also to his sons.
The exact words are not known yet.
After having spoken to his bride, reducing everyone able to understand French to tears he turned towards his sons and said among other:
- "You have held it all together and (you) have helped me through the difficult times. You have been so sweet and understanding and (you) have made it all go smoothly. Without you I couldn't have made it. You have helped making me both happy and strong again".
He also thanked his boys for the way they had received Marie and added that it had been "so great, so great". - Again bringing tears to the eyes to those who understood Danish. But the meaning was pretty clear to everyone else too! - Now that's an emotional wedding!

Not surprisingly a lot of the coverage emphasise the surprising emotional outburst of the usually very composed Joachim.

Joachim changed to white tie for the dinner.

The Bugatti, which being a Bugatti is allowed, even honour bound to condescending puff a little smoke, naturally attracted attention. Including Frederik and papa Henrik. Mary, as befits females, looked on in admiration standing slightly behind Frederik, while the males, with their hands in their pockets kicked the tires, had a look at the motor and exchanged expert knowledge. - That's the law of nature! And if you don't take my word for it, then there's a picture in Billed Bladet of the three of them doing just what I described above.

David Arasa and Claudio Morelli, who designed Princess Marie's dress were both present at the wedding. And in contrast to quite a few of the other guests they were both very correctly attired in the white ties. Two centimetres of the vest visible beneath the jacket. And two centimetres of the white shirt being visible beneath the cuffs of the jacket. Nice!

The matron of the Cavallier clan, Marie's beloved grandmother (farmor) Baroness Odile de Sairigne, married into a noble line which were enobled on 15. November 1734.

Not in connection to the wedding itself and yet....
Our Marie went on the job for the first time, when she gave a little speech at Tønder town hall, a couple of the lines being in Danish. She did well as you know, she does however still lack the routine in such matters which her predecessor and sister in law master so well. The attentive royal reporter, Trine Larsen, noted a few minor details:
When you are a royal lady, flowers are constantly thrusted into your hands, which apart from looking good is also a way to keep your hand occupied. Males can always walk around with the hands on the backs, ladies can't! Anyway, when you also have a handbag and everyone want's to shake you hand and present you with something, you really require a third hand or practise in coordinating both hands in a suitable femine way. Marie lack a bit of practise yet.
And what do you do when you are a royal lady and your handbag falls on the floor with an audible bang. Reach for it... No, perhaps not. Hmm, wait for a gentleman to pick it up for you. Yes. That gentleman being the daily manager of Schackenborg, Søren Frederiksen, who on this day were shanghaied as Marie's Gentleman-in-Waiting. He was helpful in several situations.
Joachim and Marie were naturally also presented with a present: A book about Schackenborg. And our Marie acted like a human being and opened the present to have a look. Then remembering that royal ladies are not human beings. Royal ladies do not open presents until afterwards, they just receive presents and descreetly hand them over to their Gentleman-in-Waiting, which is what our Marie did next.
In short: Marie charmed everyone in sight.

A note also informs us that the suits Nikolai and Felix wore were from the shop: Prins & Prinsesseskabet in the town of Måløv. The suits can be purchased online for 549 DKK each.

Then we have Felix, who to the delight of the photographers present fell asleep in the church. Mother Mary noticed her nephew sleeping and tried descreetly to wake him up, but he was slightly out of reach. Okay, plan B then: Get Nikolai to wake Felix. Which Nikolai indeed did in a big-brotherly manner. I.e. giving Felix a push in the side. Felix reacted like any kid brother and grumpily pushed back.
Okay, Nikolai tried again. This time succeeding and making Felix sob quitely. And now dad was leaving too! that was too much for Felix, but fortunately grandpapa Henrik was there along with granny Margrethe and that helped a little and when the left the church Felix was his usual happy self again. - Not least when he spotted the Bugatti!!

Notes informs us that the wedding waltz was danced at 23.47. I.e. before midnight as tradition dictates. Then party time! M&F left the party at around 03.45. Then a few hours in bed before family and friends gathered for a brunch at Schackenborg at 11.00.

Written by Anna Johannesen, Trine Larsen & Annelise Weimann.

--------------------

And a few more trivia. This time about the cars:

The bugatti, named Krone (crown) 41 on the occassion was borrowed from Donington Grand Prix Collection. It was the same collection that lend out cars to one of the most successful exhibitions ever in Aros art museum in Århus. THAT was art that appealed to the masses! Great cars!
Only six versions of Bugatti type 41 were made. each were different. This one is an exact copy of the Coupe Napoleon. - Delivery time for the copy: ten years!

Joachim arrived to the chuch in his own crown car, Krone 61. A Maserati Quattroporte, purchased last year as Joachim's official car. It will also be used by Princess and Countess of Montpezat Marie. So we are going to see more of that car in the years to come.

M&F arrived in Krone 2. The Regent Couple arrived in Krone 1. The flagship, store (big) Krone, a rolls Royce was not used today.

Krone nos. 1, 2 & 5 are Daimler Limousines. Eight seaters.

Krone 1 was bought by Frederik IX in 1970. And was originally used by the late Queen Ingrid.

Krone 2 is the latest of the three Daimlers and was bought in connection with Prince Henrik turning 60, in 1994.

Krone 5 was bought in 1986 and is now mainly used to transport foreign heads of states and ambassadors who are transported to an audience with the Queen.

Princess Marie's father has, as is tradition, recieved the Grand Cross of the Order of Dannebrog. Both as a curtesy but also to ensure that though he may be outclassed by many in DK, he is only outranked by royals and heads of states in regards to orders. The Order of the Elephant being more grand.
So did the fathers of Henrik, Mary and Alexandra.

Our Marie has recieved the Order of the Elephant, as she is now royal - and Countess.

And now some trivia:

The Bugatti, which brought Mr. News, Jes Dorph Pedersen on TV2 to a state of extacy, was borrowed by Joachim from a friend in Britain as a special surprise to his bride. Only six have been made of this particular model from 1930.

The police bomb squad sweeped the area around the church prior to the wedding. One of the dogs showed an alarming interest in a photographers bag. The bag was opened and the bomb turned out to be a sandwich. - Well, it's not only bombs that can go astray. So can dogs. I hope it got the sandwich.

Felix, being only five, sobbed heartily when his father and Princess Marie left the church. He'd like to go with them. Fortunately big brother Nikolai and grandpapa Henrik was at hand to comfort him.

More summaries. Had to be divided into two post due to limitations:

-----------

J&M stayed the night at Schackenborg. And the next day they took their time, saying goodbye to our Marie's family. Members of that family incidentally went for a stroll in downtown Møgeltønder and were at once approached by reporters, who, as in this case (see pics), thrusted todays issue of BT into their hands.
Roger More, his Kiki and his sunglasses were also seen in Møgeltønder the day after, so they may have spend the night there?

The party ended at about 04.00 with the last guests leaving half an hour later. I.e. just after sunrise. That is; the older guests, the Regent Couple among them left a few hours earlier.

And Joachim did get his socks cut to pieces!

Part of the entertainment at night was a fireworks and a light show. (Perhaps not on the scale of Jean Michel Jarre, but still).
The midninght snacks consisted of sausages from a typical Danish sausage/hotdog stand, Børges Pølsevogn - Børge's Sausage/hotdog Stand, which had been transported from Copenhagen where it usually resides on one of the squares there.

Photographers observed J&M in front of Schakenborg doing something with the furry toy, Apple, that Marie brought from Geneva as a present to the family dog Winston.

-----------

Got hold of todays BT. Not much news but an occasional detail here and there.

Caroline Heering did chew on chewing gum.

Our Marie intends to add a feminine touch to Schackenborg. It's pretty evident that a single male has resided there. The nesting instinct will really surface in the months to come.

Just before Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik went through the gate to the cemetary, she stopped him and made a few adjustments to his uniform. General in the Air Force. Something every married man is familiar with...
I find fitting and symbollically beautiful that you, in most village and small parish churches in DK, have to go through the cemetary in order to go to the church. Life goes on. The circle of life if you will.
I mention that because someone somewhere on some board mentioned that it felt a bit odd, chilling perhaps, that the guests and the happy couple walked through the cemetary. I disagree. I think it's natural, death being part of life and it's also a way of showing respect for the dead. So much better than hiding them in the back somewhere.

Princess Marie acknowledge that she is more impulsive than Prince Joachim.

The wedding taking place in Southen Jutland was very significant for the people living there. Being a border region they are more national and more royalists than Danes in the rest of the country. The various reporters said several times how much it meant to the locals that a major royal event for once took place in this part of the country. It is even speculated that Marie will take the place of the late Queen Ingrid in Southern Jutland. That is an impressive position to hold! Queen Ingrid was litterally adored.
Not detracting from F&M who are popular there too, but Joachim and Marie will be their royals.

Crown Prince Frederik, who is about to turn 40, in case someone forgot, was showered with well wishes from the photographers and reporters when he and Mary walked the red carpet to the church.

After Prince Joachim had delivered his speech to his bride, he asked the wedding band play "She" by Charles Aznavour. Buut, the band, Prinsens Musikkorps (a military band) had decided that the singer Jesper Lundgaard should sing the song for the happy bride.

Our Marie has, according to BT aquired a drivers licence.

thank you for a link! I loved Marie´s dress, I think it´s one of most beautiful royal wedding dresses.

Of all the recent weddings I really enjoyed were the two Danish weddings. I can't say why they have left such an impact on me.
Perhaps because of their simplicity and less pomp and circumstance.

I would have liked her dress if it was not for the waistline,it's way too low.If it were not for that flaw,it would be nice dress but not a great one IMO.

I like the dress but with alteration wut would be better. The cathedral it looks familiar the royal family is always photographed outside it?

I like the dress but with alteration wut would be better. The cathedral it looks familiar the royal family is always photographed outside it?

Joachim & Marie were married in the small village church near their estate, not in a cathedral.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Princess Marie's Wedding Dress

Marie gown was very lovely, elegant, romantic, and classic. This dress however, is not one of my favorites. I agree with the writer, I don't like the low waist. Otherwise, I probably would have loved this dress. The things I love about her dress is the lace and the veil. It is simply exquisite. The sleeves, the veil, the neckline, and the jewels are very beautiful. Not an awful gown, but not an amazing one to me.

I like the dress and the tiara, it looks SO pure white too, the dress. simple and pretty. not sure about the veil, It looks "too much". too long?

The Danish Royal House shared a new video of the wedding of Prince Joachim and Marie Cavalier.

Back
Top Bottom