Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier: May 24, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to everyone who posted links.

Marie was hands down the most beautiful Danish bride of recent years. I used to think it would be hard to surpass Alex's beauty at her wedding, but imo Marie did it. The dress was wonderful and the bride smiled at every opportunity.

B.T. has a few photos photos from the fireworks - and some from this morning of the newly weds outside Schackenborg -http://www.bt.dk/ - click 'Joachim and Marie: Bryllupsnat hjemme på slotte" and then the link 'Se de mange billeder fra natten og dagen derpå' mid page.

Finally got a chance to catch up via this thread!

Congratulations to Marie and Joachim!

Marie has now just barely edged out Mary as my favorite royal bride. Loaner or not, Marie won the wedding-day tiara stakes, in my humble opinion.

Everyone looked supremely happy!

May they have a long, long life together!

Does anybody knows if Marie has been granted with the Danish order of the Elephant?

lovely wedding. i think marie was a delightful bride...

mary and victoria's dresses were also wonderful.

Cat, just about Anything would obscure Mary's wedding tiara, as it was almost a big nothing for the Crown Princess. Mary really doesn't have a tiara to wear of any importance other than the ruby Parure which is sad, imo. I think she looked elegant as always. It remains to be seen as to how Princess Marie will fare in the future.

Cat, just about Anything would obscure Mary's wedding tiara, as it was almost a big nothing for the Crown Princess. Mary really doesn't have a tiara to wear of any importance other than the ruby Parure which is sad, imo. I think she looked elegant as always. It remains to be seen as to how Princess Marie will fare in the future.

It is difficult to see the number of diamonds there are in Marie's tiara I think - mostly notice the pretty floral motif. Could Mary's wedding tiara - which is definitely 'smaller' than Marie's, perhaps not be smaller in value? Even though Mary's wedding tiara is small, I find it very pretty - and delicate. It would be great though if she had one which was size-wise in between the wedding tiara and they ruby parure.
It is a shame really that the Danish royal house do not share the same way the Dutch do. Queen Margrethe has her favourties among her tiaras - and it would be nice if her daughters in law could use some of the other tiaras.

Very many thanks! The links were almost an invitation to the wedding. Joachim's suffering from the previous failed marriage and Marie's role in his healing, gave this one an added degree of poignancy. It is my favorite wedding because of its human warmth and drama within the colorful royal ambience.

I totally agree, User Dane. As a Crown princess Mary deserves something more 'important' to wear , other than just the ruby and/or her wedding tiara. HM needs to rethink what she should give to Mary. After all, Mary will be queen someday!

Who is the woman in this picture? It doesn't really look like Marie, so is it a nanny?

Looks like the new Princess Marie to me....

:wub:Felix

What a wonderfully beautiful boy.

I was away for just a few days and missed all the action. Just saw the pictures, Marie's dress is just so lovely. I love the way the lace was so fitted on the shoulders and arms. Also, the fabric wasn't too shiny and photographed well.

It was fun today to catch up on all of the odds and ends of the wedding coverage. How disapointing that no pictures of the wedding reception are being released. Maybe the DRF doesn't want another Peter Phillips Hello magazine fiasco!
The official portraits of the family are wonderful, but why - oh - why did they all pose in a bare room with the open door in the corner. Usually they are posed in front of a curtain or tapestry - what a shame!
We all have the Orleans/Cadaval wedding in Portugal in June to look forward to --- should be interesting!

I think the mother of the bride was very well-dressed. Very stylish.

Now that Marie is a member of the family, and the queen's husband being French, I'm guessing that privately they will speak more French than Danish. What do other posters think?

The obvious and most logical answer: It would be in her best interest if they spoke Danish to each other.

Thank you for all those who posted the beautiful wedding pictures. I like the way the Royal Family of Denmark keep their royal weddings looking royal, with the ladies wearing tiaras and gowns and all the lovely jewellery.

Princess Marie looked elegant on her wedding day and what else would one expect from a French girl?

I have come to love lace trimmed veils ever since Princess Maxima and this one was no exception. I only wish, in Princess Marie's case, that it had not obscured the beautiful tiara from the Royal Danish collection. Her hair was styled exactly as was Crown Princess Mary's but because her veil was much more sheer, her tiara would have stood out more...that would have been perfection! As it is, we are left wondering (from the pictures) which is the tiara and which is the lace design. (Autumn got it right, her tiara was prominent). Also, because of her piled up hairdo, the lace part of her veil at the sides of her face hung down limply and spoiled some of the official portraits.

I like the way the skirt of her wedding dress 'fell down' (can't think of the right word) compared to Autumn's.

On the whole a delightful Royal wedding. Congratulations Prince Joachim and Princess Marie of Denmark!

About the flying veil, I think it's quite nice that there was a funny moment like that, as long as it didn't lead to a disaster.

Marie doesn't have a tiara yet, which I think is interesting. The tiara still belongs to Margarethe. I'm sure the DRF has enough money to buy her a small one. Her dress looked wonderfull on her. Very French, and feminine. It was a family wedding. And a small one. It makes me wonder if Marie and Joachim are going to take a lesser role in Danish public life than Alex and Joachim did. She is just learning Danish etc. I also understand they will be spending a lot more time in the Jutland too.

Who is the woman in this picture? It doesn't really look like Marie, so is it a nanny?

Probably a family member, the bridesmaid or the brother's fiancee. On this day, Marie was wearing a tank top and also standing with other family members. Just go through the pictures on your link and you'll see what Marie was wearing.

-Ayvee

Marie's tiara

Marie doesn't have a tiara yet, which I think is interesting. The tiara still belongs to Margarethe. I'm sure the DRF has enough money to buy her a small one.

I wonder if the Queen is being cautious about giving another tiara out after Alexandra kept the Alexandrine Tiara after the divorce (personally, I think it would be nice if she returned it as I don't think she has a particular use for it now), or maybe her Majesty hasn't found the right one for Marie. OR maybe technically it is a loan but like the DRW forum said, it is hers to kept for as long as the marriage, and the both of them expect the marriage to last forever, so it is as good as hers already. I don't think the princess of the Austurias or Princess Laurentien or Princess Mabel have their 'own' tiaras either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Princess Marie's wedding dress...I have to admit I was a bit anxious before I looked at the pictures that Marie would do a "Sophie" and choose something "simple", like the nightgown sheath that Countess Wessex wore and I was also worried about the jewellery, that she would HAVE to wear something highly garish and highly inappropriate that her future husband designed for her, like Sophie did...

And I am glad to say I was very pleasantly surprised...Marie's dress was beautiful, simple and looked like a wedding dress...I like the French influence of Calais lace and the lack of jewellery around her neck...very simple and tasteful...Even though she is the 2nd wife of the 2nd son, they didn't hold back in lavishing Marie with such a gorgeous ensemble and sparkly accessories...

Congratulations to the couple and bring on February/March 2009 ;)

I have the impression that the wedding was so so...

Back
Top Bottom