The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2018, 01:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by csxt6584 View Post
Question from an America commoner. Why does the Duke of Sussex drive an American configured Jag ? I thought all British vehicles were configured to drive on the right side of the vehicle.
He doesn't own it..it was a rental for the wedding.

LaRae

Old 05-21-2018, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
He doesn't own it..it was a rental for the wedding.

LaRae
Looks like my post got chopped.

From what I understood on the evening Prince Charles owns the car, the car has a personalised number plate, i'm unsure if it was a road legal number plate, but it could have been a gift.

William and Catherine drove out of BP in one of Charles' Aston Martins with a personalised number plate.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by csxt6584 View Post
Question from an America commoner. Why does the Duke of Sussex drive an American configured Jag ? I thought all British vehicles were configured to drive on the right side of the vehicle.
Likely because it's vintage car and that's all they could find.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope this story is true...

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/...-reception/amp

I’ ve seen this in a few write ups; if true, it means that Sarah was at the evening reception.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-21-2018, 02:59 PM
Courtier

The motoring editor for the Daily Mail wrote about his experience riding in one last year:
What it's like to ride in Prince Harry's wedding motor | Daily Mail Online

The editor says that JLR leant the car to Harry.

Quote:
For Jaguar itself the timing of their royal coup with the electric E-Type conversion could not have been better as it coincides with the launch next month of Jaguar’s new all £60,000 electric I-PACE performance SUV with first deliveries from June as part of its ‘green’ hi-tech plans to electrify every new model in its range from 2020.

To show that their cars can even be retro-fitted with electric power, the British luxury and sports car firm has taken a 1968 version of its elegant roadster dubbed ‘the world’s most beautiful car’ and given it an automotive heart transplant – removing its powerful petrol engine and replacing it with a zero emissions electric motor and plug-in battery.
Men's Journal, who really seem to care about things like "torque", wrote an article detailing JLR's work to retrofit these classic Jags:

https://www.mensjournal.com/gear/roy...-prince-harry/
Old 05-21-2018, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

I’ ve seen this in a few write ups; if true, it means that Sarah was at the evening reception.
It all came from one source I believe. And that's just how they usually work these days. One reports it, and the others jump on it and publish the same thing as so and so reports without fact checking. I'm leaning towards Sarah wasn't there since the original reporting had it right that she'd be invited to the ceremony, but not the private party hosted by Charles. And also Andrew and the girls and Jack showed up together without Fergie. If she was, I don't think they'd do that for the private shindig. The morning really wasn't much of an option, but there were no such rules and restrictions at night.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post

I honestly didn't think she would be invited to the evening reception. If it's true that she was there, it's really another big step into the royal warmth for Sarah.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Majesty

My understanding is that even though Sarah York attended the wedding ceremony and the luncheon hosted by the queen at Frogmore, she was not invited to the intimate evening reception given by the PoW. It's no secret that he is not quite a fan.

I have read that the Middletons(Michael, Carole, Pippa and her husband and her brother James) were also not invited to the Charles shindig, which rather surprises me.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Administrator

The cast of Suits was also not invited to the evening reception, which I was a bit surprised about. At least since Sarah, Rick and Meghan are close. But I guess if you keep adding on, pretty soon you have another large party.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
The cast of Suits was also not invited to the evening reception, which I was a bit surprised about. At least since Sarah, Rick and Meghan are close. But I guess if you keep adding on, pretty soon you have another large party.
And if you keep subtracting, pretty soon there are only enough people for a couple of tables of bridge! I hadn’t heard that the Suits crowd weren’t invited.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-21-2018, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Yes. I believe they were only invited the reception hosted by the QUeen.

I was a bit surprised by the Middleton's as well but they were invited to the wedding and the luncheon so that's something.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Likely because it's vintage car and that's all they could find.
It's not a vintage car, it was made in 2017.

Quote:
That's interesting that the suits cast didn't attend. I am a little confused by the instagram post of the slippers. Daily Mail says it was for the reception, but then they also have pictures of her en route from Windsor to St Georges...
Old 05-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes. I believe they were only invited the reception hosted by the QUeen.

I was a bit surprised by the Middleton's as well but they were invited to the wedding and the luncheon so that's something.
I don't think they are quite as close to the Middletons, so that made sense. Especially considering Michael and Carole Middleton aren't likely to party into the night, and neither is Pippa at this point.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

I have read that the Middletons(Michael, Carole, Pippa and her husband and her brother James) were also not invited to the Charles shindig, which rather surprises me.

Not surprising at all to me. Harry is not particularly close to the Middletons.

The Suits cast not being invited perhaps suggests that Meghan feels closer to George and Amal Clooney, Idris Elba, or Oprah than to her co-workers whom she has known for nearly a decade. To be fair, I am not close to my co-workers either, but that proximity between Meghan and recent celebrity acquaintances still surprises me.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's not a vintage car, it was made in 2017.
It was originally built in 1968. They converted it. When you get into a situation like that, you pick what you can get from the old and rework it. The article from the person that's driven it said it was originally made for export, and that's why the steering wheel is on the left. Good thing Harry knows how to drive on the correct side of the car.

Can I just take a moment to express my shock that they were offered slippers at the Queen's reception? I mean.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Can I just take a moment to express my shock that they were offered slippers at the Queen's reception? I mean.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Speculative comments about Charles' and his relationship to the Middletons has been deleted. Let's stay on-topic.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I'm not sure we can say that Harry is not particularly close to the Middletons. I'd say we actually know squat about their relationship.

And Harry and Meghan attended Pippa's evening reception last year.

Oops sorry-was posting when mod posted.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It was originally built in 1968. They converted it. When you get into a situation like that, you pick what you can get from the old and rework it. The article from the person that's driven it said it was originally made for export, and that's why the steering wheel is on the left. Good thing Harry knows how to drive on the correct side of the car.

That's incorrect, as stated on JLR's own site:

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/about-jagua...cept-zero.html

Quote:
Concept Zero is based on a 1968 Series 1.5 Jaguar E-type. Electrifying looks. Zero emissions. Electrifying performance
KP specifically referred to it as the concept zero, which means it's a 2017 car. If it was an old 1968 jag that has been re-worked, it cannot be the concept zero. All the concepts were made for exports, most jags are.

Unfortunately I am denied access to the mensjournal article.

It's unclear when they were offered slippers, but they were offered them in the grounds of windsor. It's actually quite a thoughtful gift, and something very helpful on the day.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

The Suits cast not being invited perhaps suggests that Meghan feels closer to George and Amal Clooney, Idris Elba, or Oprah than to her co-workers whom she has known for nearly a decade. To be fair, I am not close to my co-workers either, but that proximity between Meghan and recent celebrity acquaintances still surprises me.

The entire Suit cast was present for the reception; here is the creator of the show in his own words:

https://servimg.com/view/19804771/14
https://servimg.com/view/19804771/15
https://servimg.com/view/19804771/16