The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2018, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

On the guest list did any relatives who are descendants of Prince Philip's sisters, Margarita, Theodora, and Sophie, attend Harry and Meghan's wedding?

Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 PM
Gentry

This likely came up already...new here...but I find it odd that Harry and Meghan got married on the same date, May19, of the execution of Anne Boleyn...but am sure it was never considered, just a coincidence.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy63 View Post
This likely came up already...new here...but I find it odd that Harry and Meghan got married on the same date, May19, of the execution of Anne Boleyn...but am sure it was never considered, just a coincidence.
I doubt that was a consideration at all-if the BRF had to vet every date because of some unfortunate history, there would be very few available dates to choose.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Seriously, if we are going to rule out every date that has had something bad happening or have something else going on, nobody will be getting married in the BRF.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy63 View Post
IMO, you are underestimating the fact that the British royals are a very historic family who can trace their genealogy far back to ancient times. This would make them much more cognzant than we are of family historical dates and the significance and ties to modern day royal occasions and rituals. And btw, let's not forget that the charity started by W, K, and H is called 'Heads Together', not 'Heads Asunder'.

This is a family who plan their schedules a year to two years in advance. I feel certain that the Queen was fully aware of the significance of the May 19 date in history. Having that date in history now marked by a happier occasion is likely not a coincidence. The marriage of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle may eventually be looked upon as a landmark event in the sense of how in many ways there are underlying themes that can be seen to redeem the family's more recent and ancient marriage catastrophes, as well as the British monarchy's colonial past.

Certainly, Meghan joining the British royal family has made the royals seem much more relevant, up-to-date and accessible, even if the latter is a bit of an illusion. I'm quite sure that genealogical research which revealed Meghan has ancestors related to and socially connected to the British monarchy in centuries past, was a boon to her being fully accepted. Of course, Prince Harry was determined to marry Meghan regardless of any ancient family connection.

Another interesting detail I discovered in an article about the significance of the 'Moretto Veneziano' brooch worn by Princess Michael last December, possibly provides a clue as to one reason why Prince Charles suggested the inclusion of a Coptic minister at H&M's wedding:
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...rong-1.5630137

According to jewelry historian Anastazja Buttitta:
"In southern Germany, the cult of St. Maurice was widespread. He was a black Roman commander who originally came from Egypt and became a martyr. He was depicted in art as a very distinguished black man, and the Venetians were also influenced by this.Ē

Princess Michael has described the figure on the brooch as a saint, so she may have been referencing St. Maurice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Maurice
"St. Maurice is a highly revered saint in the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria and other churches of Oriental Orthodoxy... Born in Egypt, he became the leader of the legendary Roman Theban Legion in the 3rd century..."

Once again, as an ancient family and an ancient royal institution, I think Prince Charles and other members of the British royal family, know a lot about the significance of ancient history, particularly as it relates to religion, war, art, and the inter-relationship between cultures and peoples in the ancient world.

Therefore Prince Charles may have desired to include a Coptic minister as part of the royal wedding service between Meghan & Harry due to that religion's ancient connection to Christianity in Egypt (which in ancient times was significantly an African culture/ civilization).

Prince Charles was also responsible for recommending the gospel Kingdom Choir to Meghan and Harry.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:25 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Seriously, if we are going to rule out every date that has had something bad happening or have something else going on, nobody will be getting married in the BRF.
Yeah. I think it was most likely the first date available when all the senior members could attend that didn't conflict with anything else, wasn't in Lent and gave them time to plan it.

Most members of the current royal family have never struck me as particularly knowledgeable or interested in history, Prince Charles being an exception so whilst I'm sure any significant happenings came up e.g. Anne Boleyn I can't see it either being a positive or negative for them, YMMV.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:46 AM
Serene Highness

The royals for sure understand the logistics of not trying to explain everything to the general public who are persnickety and difficult to please. One can never please or reason with all of the people all of the time. The Queen is a very smart woman. If the media and general public noticed the other significance of the May 19 date, you don't think anyone in the royal family did? There were surely a few select dates available to choose between. This was surely not the only date available. I doubt it was a coincidence. But no one in the family will ever confirm one way or the other.

Yep, there's a lot we don't know, and never will. And yet, there are clues available for those with an interest in history, religion, culture, wars, monarchy, and the inherent complicated interconnections between all of these subjects. To each their own understanding.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:59 AM
Serene Highness

I see that Misha Nonoo was at the wedding and sat in the nave with her friend, oil heir, Michael Hess. (Hess has previously been pictured with Princess Beatrice -- see in the slideshow linked below).

https://guestofaguest.com/new-york/n...ttest-oil-heir

The clip of Hess' 30th b'day party is fun. The last pic is of Hess with Misha Nonoo heading to St. George's Chapel in May. It looks like Nonoo was wearing a very light gray or silver coat dress that almost appears white.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:12 AM
Royal Highness

Funfact: on 19th of February more babies were born than average in some Belgian hospitals.
Is the myth of the full moon true or were the parents in extra romantic mood 9 months ago after watching Harry and Meghanís wedding?
Waarom werden er de afgelopen dagen opvallend veel kinderen geboren? | VRT NWS https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/02...-geboren.html/
Old 02-22-2019, 01:51 AM
Serene Highness

Here are pictures taken on the wedding day that I didn't see at the time, provided by Priyanka Chopra, showing her with a group of bride 'squad' friends:

https://www.hellomagazine.com/celebr...tures-wedding/

I wonder if Genevieve Hillis is in one of the pictures?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post

Here are pictures taken on the wedding day that I didn't see at the time, provided by Priyanka Chopra, showing her with a group of bride 'squad' friends:

https://www.hellomagazine.com/celebr...tures-wedding/

I wonder if Genevieve Hillis is in one of the pictures?
Genevieve is not in any of these pictures. She was sitting in the chapel behind Doria. If I remember correctly, she was in a navy blue dress.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:17 AM
Serene Highness

Thanks. I was only wondering because I don't know what Hillis looks like exactly. I don't recall clear views of her at the wedding, mostly because at the time I didn't know who some of Meghan's guests were.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, wedding