The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-29-2018, 01:31 PM
Majesty

I posted the article in another thread but as the deputy editor of The Spectator observed, it was meant to be a big fat woke wedding so Ill just leave it at that.

Bishop Curry said he was at the reception but didnt meet the Queen. He nodded at her and she nodded back.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
rather than assume they were being rude to a high- level American church official, I’ll assume they were responding with amused enjoyment, as was intended.
"Illusions are [by their nature] sweet"...

Old 05-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure the queen was too polite to laugh, but I got the feeling from what people have said that the sermon was too long, and that many people were embarrassed or amused...
The Bishop did mean to make the congregation giggle at some things; especially when he asked everybody to remember the time when they first fell in love and when he said that they have to get the couple married. That was funny. I laughed.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im sure the queen was too polite to laugh, but I got the feeling from what people have said that the sermon was too long, and that many people were embarrassed or amused...
I think that says more about those people than the bishop or his sermon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I posted the article in another thread but as the deputy e
editor of The Spectator observed, it was meant to be a ‘big fat woke wedding’ so I’ll just leave it at that.

Bishop Curry said he was at the reception but didn’t meet the Queen. He nodded at her and she nodded back.
The Spectator is seen as a reputable source? Yikes.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Spectator is seen as a reputable source? Yikes
The Spectator is of the highest repute, and has been published for nigh on two centuries.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:13 PM
Courtier

You mean the same publication that has put out articles heavily tinged with racism and sexism, re: Meghan? You'll have to excuse me if I don't view said publication in the highest regard, especially after the deputy editor uses wording like "big fat woke wedding." No doubt that was meant as a pejorative.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

What does big fat woke wedding even mean?

Anyways, plenty of royal commentators called it the most romantic royal wedding is what I heard. And I obviously agreement.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I don't view said publication in the highest regard,
That is [of course] your prerogative, but not the general view here..

Nothing about this wedding better illustrates the CHASM that divides American and British Societies and attitudes to 'Faith' than the reaction to the Rev Curry's address [IMO].

As ever we are 'divided by our common Language', and much else besides.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
You mean the same publication that has put out articles heavily tinged with racism and sexism, re: Meghan? You'll have to excuse me if I don't view said publication in the highest regard, especially after the deputy editor uses wording like "big fat woke wedding." No doubt that was meant as a pejorative.
The Spectator has opinions across the political spectrum. From left to right. Above all it champions free speech and doesn’t get bogged down in political correctness

The fact it’s been published for a few hundred years means it doing something right.

But back to the church service.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Really I think it's okay that we (Americans and Brits) don't see things the same way, don't do things the same way etc. We still have enough commonality though that there is some affinity towards each other for many, perhaps hard to explain but there nonetheless.

I think disagreeing on things is a form of checks and balances.

LaRae
Old 05-29-2018, 02:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

Nothing about this wedding better illustrates the CHASM that divides American and British Societies and attitudes to 'Faith' than the reaction to the Rev Curry's address [IMO].

I don't know if it's the divide between American and British or old school versus new. I was listening to the BBC radio podcast that was done right after the wedding, and the pod caster mentioned that her son loved it.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Courtier

Yeah, why let that pesky thing called political correctness stop a publication from printing archaic ideas and opinions (I'm being generous).

Yes, back to the wedding, please...

Quote:

I've seen more than a few black Brits mention that you can hear similar preaching in many of their churches.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Really I think it's okay that we (Americans and Brits) don't see things the same way, don't do things the same way etc. We still have enough commonality though that there is some affinity towards each other for many, perhaps hard to explain but there nonetheless.

I think disagreeing on things is a form of checks and balances.

LaRae
The most amazing thing isnt that this wedding brought everyone together. That is what Bishop Michael Curry said that he hoped that happened. Harry and Meghan made sure that happened.

What I think everyone will have to get used to now that Meghan has married Harry. Shes bringing her American heritage to the UK and marrying it with her new English life. This will do wonders with the American and English relationship.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-29-2018, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
old school versus new.
A lot of young'uns at our lunch party, and all of them thought it was a joke [and not in a good way].
But none are remotely religious..
Old 05-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:

With all due respect wyevale, I disagree. I have many Brit friends online, and have never met a Brit that I found objectionable. I am very much disappointed by the snide anti American posts that seem to go unchecked on this Forum. However,I also understand that this group and the people who participate here are not a broad picture of British society as a whole and it sure as heck is not a complete picture of America, its' people, or our Faith(s) and values.

In other words there is no "chasm" except the one that in exists in ones' own imagination.:sad

ETA: I did not care for Curry's sermon. He came close to ruining the wedding for me.But I don't speak for the millions who did enjoy it.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course there are differeneces. The very fact of the minister's sermon being somewhat ill received is proof of that......
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the style of Reverand Curry's delivery of his sermon was so unfamiliar to some people that they lost sight of or didn't understand his message. The Antebellum South and MLK had broad meaning if you actually listened for the message.
I admit, I had to listen to his sermon a second time to "get it" all.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Serene Highness

I think some of the wedding guests were surprised by Bishop Curry's sermon because it was too long and at times he seemed to ramble.

But his quote from Dr. Martin Luther King was highly appropriate and so was his reference to a hymn sung by slaves in the antebellum South. They both illustrate the power of love which was the theme of Bishop Curry's sermon. It's not as if he delivered a lecture on Britain's complicity in the development of slavery in North America and the Caribbean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I'd say the Antebellum South and Martin Luther King is very relevant at a wedding involving an African American.
Exactly! He honored the bride's African American heritage is a very respectful manner.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Spectator is of the highest repute, and has been published longer than your Nation has existed...
Uhm, no LOL
Can't comment on how reputable they are, but they definitely haven't been around longer than the USA, at least according to Google:

The Spectator is a weekly British magazine on politics, culture, and current affairs. It was first published on 6 July 1828. It is owned by David and Frederick Barclay who also own The Daily Telegraph newspaper, via Press Holdings. Wikipedia
Editor: Fraser Nelson
Total circulation (December 2016): 82,585
Paid circulation: 73,791
First issue date: July 6, 1828
Old 05-29-2018, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
With all due respect wyevale, I disagree. I have many Brit friends online, and have never met a Brit that I found objectionable. I am very much disappointed by the snide anti American posts that seem to go unchecked on this Forum. .
So it's not just me who has noticed this, especially by specific posters. I've reported it but nothing is done. There was a lot of snide condescending comments long before Meghan showed up.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, wedding