Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Church Service, Carriage Procession - May 19, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Meghan? I am reserving judgement for her in terms of how I see her as a royal. But in general? She has been a study in class. Here is a woman many have, and continue to, discount. A woman who has faced incredible racism, sexism and classism since she was introduced as a royal love interest. A woman who has held her head high and show grace and dignity under incredible fire this past week.

I almost forgot to add one thing I really noticed and that I was looking for. Meghan's freckles were very visible. She's a woman confident in her own skin, confident of who she is and who she loves and happy with finding a man that she shares common goals in life with.

Reminds me of a sweatshirt I gave my dad once upon a time when he was coaching little league baseball. Had the Peanuts gang on it and stated "How can we lose when we're so sincere". To me, that describes Harry and Meghan.
:D

I actually liked the sermon of Reverend Curry. But I am used to long sermons :)
At least it was not something out of a book. I don't like the Anglican habit of reading prayers and sermons from a book. I always think when I am listening to that: "Can't you make your own sermon and prayers"

The sermons are not out of a book, they are written by the priest. The liturgy is out of a book, but that is common with many Christian denominations.

I was surprised, that Meghan walked so alone in the church and I find it very emotional, that Prince Charles accompanied her at the end. I found it a little bit sad..

Last edited by a moderator:
WHERE is the skill, or art in that..Patisserie is a NOBLE profession, requiring immense artistry, training and visual sensitivity..
Takeaway the Silver Gilt, and ANY competent home baker could produce that..

Very few home bakers could get such a smooth texture from buttercream. If the baker went the easy way out, and did fondant, I may give you that.

Some brides, and some cake fans, like simple. A beautiful simple cake adorned by beautiful fresh flowers, is quite beautiful IMO. You don't need thousands of little fondant flowers and pearls to say 'look at me'.

WHERE is the skill, or art in that..Patisserie is a NOBLE profession, requiring immense artistry, training and visual sensitivity..
Takeaway the Silver Gilt, and ANY competent home baker could produce that..

It was lovely...it doesn't always have to be a rigid cake covered in fondant and looking uniform. I like the relaxed casual look of the cake!

The color was great as were the flowers.

LaRae

Enough already!

Yes, so boring and tiresome.
Why didn't anyone think to give him a time limit?
Obviously one of those people who loves the sound of his own voice!!

The cameras really were unforgivable at some points. Missing a kiss and the worst screw up was missing the bow and curtsey to the Queen.

Cepe said: I really like the first 4-5 minutes (good sermon length IMO...

Do you mean that? a sermon of 4 -5 minutes?? Better not to have one at all in that case.

I agree. It was actually less than 15 minutes. At my church sermons are about an hour, and while I realise that this is not the norm I am a bit bemused by how many people are complaining about a sermon of less than 15 minutes.

Also, maybe this won't be a popular thing to say but I did think it was a bit disrespectful for some of the audience to be giggling during the sermon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved it all. The chapel, the obviously in love couple and their personal touches, ie forget me nots in the bouquet from Kp and veil.the bishop was a bit long but good for him to take advantage of a global audience to talk about love thy neighbor. Prince Charles was impeccable toward Megan and her mother. Prince Phillip walking un aided! It was the music that transported me, especially the young cellist. I had been wary of the pop music but the gospel choir and other tunes were beautifully done. And the carriage ride through ancient Windsor. I was so pleasantly surprised by this wedding

I was surprised, that Meghan walked so alone in the church and I find it very emotional, that Prince Charles accompanied her at the end. I found it a little bit sad..
By the way I had the feeling, that Meghan is not really liked in the royal family... The Queen looked her really ugly and the Duchess of Cambridge was not in friendly, happy mood too... I think only Charles and William was friendly to her...

And yet we have seen Meghan among other family members several times and it was readily apparent how they have embraced her. We have seen plenty of lovely exchanges between Meghan and Kate that show a clear bond between the two. Kate looked perfectly fine to me, she had no role aside from tending to Charlotte and was barely shown. If anything she looked a bit tired(understandable considering they have a newborn at home), yet perked up quite a bit during Rev Curry's sermon. Was certainly a new experience for the RBF.

I have to admit the Queen seemed less bemused with the sermon, but Phillip was very smiley for the both of them today. :)

I agree. It was actually less than 15 minutes. At my church sermons are about an hour, and while I realise that this is not the norm I am a bit bemused by how many people are complaining about a sermon of less than 15 minutes.

Also, maybe this won't be a popular thing to say but I did think it was a bit disrespectful for some of the audience to be giggling during the sermon.

Perhaps because it was not the traditional church sermon. Its not Sunday church where you go for an hour of church and listen to a sermon. A church ceremony is very different. 15 minute sermon in the heart of a wedding ceremony does seem long. Especially one which was so impersonal to the couple, and not broken up by any music or anything else.

Of course it was disrespectful. It wasn’t the length but the level of enthusiasm that made them uncomfortable as it was unusual for them to witness it, imo

The sermon was too long, but I found the responses of members of the BRF to be disrespectful. Meghan got eviserated for much less when she smiled and looked down during the CW Service. Folks lectured about how it "wasn't done" to express such emotion during a service.

Well, almost the whole BRF did today and it was noted by many folks. And not in a good way.

I can't see how it is disrespectful to smile or even find something funny. They did so discreetly enough for the most part. Just a twinkle in the eye or a small curl in the corners of the mouth.

I am sure they did not laugh at the vicar but at the situation. Few will have expected to hear such a sermon in Windsor Chapel of all places. And of course the vicar did make some jokes too.

Last edited:
I don't know whether it was the Bishop's sermon but at one stage I thought Zara was going to have to rush out! She kept twisting and turning. Half the BRF didn't know where to look, or were trying not to laugh.

I saw some in the congregation staring up at the roof. Not the reaction he was expecting if he noticed it at all. At home we polished off a pizza and a bottle of champers before he'd finished.

I do have to admit that at the point where Bishop Curry says something along the lines of "getting these folks married", I thought that would have been the logical end of it.

I wouldn't be the least surprised if Zara goes into labor pretty soon too. :D

The sermon was too long, but I found the responses of members of the BRF to be disrespectful. Meghan got eviserated for much less when she smiled and looked down during the CW Service. Folks lectured about how it "wasn't done" to express such emotion during a service.

Well, almost the whole BRF did today and it was noted by many folks. And not in a good way.

Well Harry and Meghan did smile/laugh too ...
There was a clear contrast between the solemn surrounding of St George Chapel and the words of the bishop.
It was understandably a light hearted moment.

Some commentators online did not like Zara Tindall's reaction.

They thought she was too disrespectful and privileged.....

The REALITY is the UK is a 'post Christian' country..

Most Brits will politely tolerate a 'mild' version of faith [ANY faith], because we are quintessentially polite, but as soon as it becomes 'preachy' or over-long, we are LOST, and quickly bored, [even quicker] made annoyed at 'the imposition'..
That Americans can sit through HOURS of this stuff, is interesting, but I assure you, after the first two or three minutes 99% of Brits had mentally 'switched off'...

Last edited:
Some commentators online did not like Zara Tindall's reaction.

They thought she was too disrespectful and privileged.....

Poor soul...didn't they see the size of bump? Maybe that little fellow/lady inside her was the bored one, definitely not her mum.

Some Americans may sit through hours of sermons, but that is not true of all denominations.

To me, Bishops Curry's biggest sin was not in the length of the sermon, but in his failure to make several clear and succinct points in an appealing way, make it personal, and then wrap it up on a high note. He rambled. He was bombastic. And he failed to read his auditors so the whole thing felt inflated and a bit ego-driven.

I've sat through longer sermons and been totally engaged, and come away feeling uplifted. His was not one of those sermons.

I doubt any of the royals found the sermon disrespectful in tone or enthusiasm.

Prince Charles is a worldly man and has certainly been to Black or African churches before, in some format. Certainly has met ministers of the sort.

Same with the Queen. Let's not forget she was friends with the late Billy Graham.

They both have met more types of people from different cultures than most people ever will.

If anything, it was rather unexpected. I would imagine HM thought the message of it all was wonderful and can imagine her sitting back tonight, having a drink and thinking with a chuckle, "That was interesting".

Back
Top Bottom