Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Church Service, Carriage Procession - May 19, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The sermon certainly was in keeping with the idea that Harry and Meghan are doing things there own way. It was lovely and passionate, but probably very unexpected by some people.

Yes indeed. I'm coming back briefly to mention that. I expected Reverend Curry to break out into a passionate Baptist-Church inspired show-sermon complete with "Hallelujahs" and "Can I get a witness?"

TBH, I've never heard an Episcopalian preach as passionately as that.

The BRF looked unsure what to do and dazed. One of the Phillips girls leaned back with a smile in her face and giggled. William was smiling. Gina Torres from Suits smiled also.

Then we get a gospel choir doing "Stand By Me" and "This Little Light Of Mine."

This is NOT your grandfather's BRF, folks. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I agree with your last point about The Queen not looking in great form today - she didn't seem to be smiling much, but perhaps that's just because the cameras were focussing on others.
The only thing that reassures me is how happy and smiley she looked recently at the Royal Windsor Horse Show, which she did seem to really enjoy!

Maybe the
Queen simply disliked the service.

Prince Charles was phenomenal, I really appreciated how inclusive he was towards Doria.?

True, I thought K looked tight lipped, bored and irritated...

I have to say I thought Kate did look ummm more expressive than usual but not in a good way...but I saw very few shots of her.

LaRae

And then it was over and done....

Some of the best hours I've spent watching TV in a very long time. I think what impressed me the most about the entire wedding was its beautiful balance. It wasn't solely British. It wasn't solely American. It wasn't "high class" and it wasn't run of the mill either. It was personal. It reflected the bride and the groom. It was a celebration of people coming from all over for one purpose. It amplified the participation of all who were there that promised to support the couple in their marriage.

I have to admit that I was actually spellbound by Bishop Curry's address. That is preaching like preaching should be done to get a message across. Passionate as both Harry and Meghan are passionate in their own ways. It drew people together in a common message even though it may have seemed quite foreign in its delivery to some.

Meghan truly looked liked The Duchess of Sussex she's become. She was herself and it was obvious that this was an affirmation for her of the relationship she shares with Harry more than the glitz and the glamor and the sparkles of diamonds. Same with Harry. You got the impression that once they joined together, that was it and they weren't going to let each other go. The loving looks, the obvious emotions exchanged with even a few moments of smiles that reached the eyes and the twinges of amusement weren't hidden due to being upright, uptight and proper. They were being themselves.

Maybe Meghan didn't have a "father" figure walk her at first as she entered the chapel but Brian and John Mulroney could give any page boy in any British ceremonial role a run for their money. I had to laugh as I had absolutely no problem picking out which of the bridesmaids was Charlotte. She was the one well versed in acknowledging people and has that royal wave perfected. They were all on their best behavior which isn't easy to say for children that young.

There were a few times seeing Zara that I actually wondered if she perhaps was going to need an emergency exit due to going into labor. It was sweet to see Mike so attentive. The best thing though with watching the royal arrivals, to me, was seeing the Duke of Edinburgh enter with the Queen. I would never have guessed he had surgery for a hip replacement so recently. Ramrod straight as ever.

These are just my immediate thoughts. I'm still coming down from everything I've seen and heard (well... read in closed captioning). Now I need to order some headphones for my PC so I can listen to the music when it is available online. Has to be a cheap pair as I go through headphones as a lot of people go through tissues. :D

Yes indeed. I'm coming back briefly to mention that. I expected Reverend Curry to break out into a passionate Baptist-Church inspired show-sermon complete with "Hallelujahs" and "Can I get a witness?"

TBH, I've never heard an Episcopalian preach as passionately as that.

The BRF looked unsure what to do and dazed. One of the Phillips girls leaned back with a smile in her face and giggled. William was smiling. Gina Torres from Suits smiled also.

Then we get a gospel choir doing "Stand By Me" and "This Little Light Of Mine."

This is NOT your grandfather's BRF, folks. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Prince Charles was smilling too, but Duchess of Cornwall said something to him and made him stop.

Zara looked baffled, as did Princess Beatrice.

The Queen is 92, all of this must be tiresome for her.

She clearly took a backseat in the ceremony (literally as well), allowing Charles and William to shine in their supporting roles.

True, I thought K looked tight lipped, bored and irritated...

You've just described pretty much every member of the BRF. They all looked this way throughout the ceremony. I didn't see the Queen smile once. William was the only one that looked amused.

But let's also remember that Kate has a one month old baby at home, so she might not be feeling quite like herself yet (I know I sure as heck wasn't after my son was born).

They did right after the God Save The Queen. But it was an aerial shot, so it was really difficult to see. I went back and looked at it, and she curtsied and Harry bowed.

There are articles appearing on the internet saying that she did not curtsy (and that Harry did not bow). I'm still trying to find the clip. Hopefully there is a clip or photo that can put this to rest.

They may have just been so distracted by everything that they forgot; or maybe the camera crews just didn't quite capture it leading people to believe they did not.

Any idea who was sitting next to Doria during the ceremony?

Benita Litt, the only one of the mothers of the wedding kids, who wasn't outside (mother of the 2 oldest girls). Some of Meghan's closest friends were seated around her mom like Benita and Jessica. Fitting as they were very much filling in for her family.

The visual and audio signals were frequently out of sync.

I think it depended on where you watched the wedding at. I had PBS on the TV here and SkyLive on the monitor and what I saw on the monitor was time delayed from what I saw on the TV. Was kind of neat. See something on TV and just wait a minute or two and its on the monitor. Lifting the veil was one of those moments I was glad to be able to see twice. :D

There are articles appearing on the internet saying that she did not curtsy (and that Harry did not bow). I'm still trying to find the clip. Hopefully there is a clip or photo that can put this to rest.

They may have just been so distracted by everything that they forgot; or maybe the camera crews just didn't quite capture it leading people to believe they did not.

There was a bow and curtsy, it was just an awkward camera angle that made it harder to notice / easy to overlook.

They did, but you have to really look for it to see it. Right after "God save the Queen", when the cameras are up high, Harry bows and Meghan does something that probably is a curtsey, but we don't get a good view of this.

did meghan walk by herself to the aisle in the end? i remember how the saga went from her dad walking, to her dad not coming, to charles walking her as of yesterday but it sounds like she made it on her own?

For people watching it from BBC, there was, just after the ceremony finished, a brief live connection to the network's correspondent in California who talked about how people stayed up all night there in order to watch.
Unfortunately I didn't catch the reporter's name.. Does anyone remember it?
tnx

did meghan walk by herself to the aisle in the end? i remember how the saga went from her dad walking, to her dad not coming, to charles walking her as of yesterday but it sounds like she made it on her own?

Meghan walked halfway alone, and then Charles joined her to walk to Henry.

Prince Charles walked her part of the way, up to the altar.

The wedding was fantastic.
I loved Meghan's dress and the veil in particular being embroidered with all Commonwealth floral emblems. The dress looked a perfect fit and it remained perfect for the entire ceremony.
The music was astounding - totally lovely.
The guests looked bored sometimes which I couldn't understand with such entertainment
The guests were very stylish but our telecasting didn't announce many of them unfortunately. It was up to me to notice who they were - even Chelsy Davy, who looked radiant.
Prince Charles was lovely. The royal family seemed over the moon for Harry.
I enjoyed seeing Zara and Mike and also Anne.
Loved the processions of horses and bands and all.

Best dressed list for me:
Meghan Markle
Autumn Phillips and Beatrice in those delicious colours
Kitty Spencer and her step mother
Amal Clooney
Camilla and Charles
Chelsy Davy

Camilla and Kate were quite chatty and some interactions between them were hilarious ...

I have to say I thought Kate did look ummm more expressive than usual but not in a good way...but I saw very few shots of her.

LaRae

I saw few shots of her too but in those that I did she looked a bit bored and less than pleased. Pictures online further reinforced that impression. I mean it was an hour long service...it would have been nice to see a little more enthusiasm for them. :ermm:

Whose idea was it to invite that American bishop?
And- didn't anyone think to give him a time limit?

But no, he had a global audience and was determined to take advantage! He went boring on forever...surprised he didn't send the entire congregation to sleep.

Didn't like the gospel choir, but the rest of the music was gorgeous!

And- a picky thing, but I wished the Archbishop had used birth names instead of "Meghan" and "Harry."

Everything else was just lovely, though.

Benita Litt, the only one of the mothers of the wedding kids, who wasn't outside (mother of the 2 oldest girls). Some of Meghan's closest friends were seated around her mom like Benita and Jessica. Fitting as they were very much filling in for her family.

Benita sat next to Doria, Jessica sat in front of Doria.

Prince Charles was phenomenal, I really appreciated how inclusive he was towards Doria.?

The Royals are always polire and inclusive. They are used to meeting people from all walks of life as that is part of their job. Snobbery is more of a middle-class / nouveau riche traiit really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom