Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: Church Service, Carriage Procession - May 19, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must say that was as underwhelming a royal wedding I’ve ever watched. Couple were happy the service didn’t have the royal oomph.

Henry and Meghan had the wedding they wanted, not the wedding everyone else wanted. If they wanted to, they could have gotten married at Westminster or St. Paul's, though I doubt they'd have chosen a larger venue than his brother had.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was in line with expectations. Meghan looked beautiful and radiant. And I am glad all the pre-wedding drama is now behind us.

Me too! That was a lot to go through and she made it through. I am very happy for them both.

Thank you Royal Forums! As always, I will look forward to some great pictures from you for the rest of what goes on for the remainder of the day. Going to get some breakfast. Have a good afternoon to those overseas and have a great morning to those in the States!

Yay!!! That was a wonderful wedding. LOVED the whole look.

I'm off to get ready so I can go watch this at the theater now!

Finally...
What I liked:
- that Harry wore this black uniform (don't know about the exact regiment) and not a red one
- that the dress was quite clear-shaped
- that Prince Phillip could attend as well as Zara Tindall
- Princess Charlotte still waving to everybody in sight <3
- the gospel choir performing Stand by me
- Fergie attending :)

What I disliked:
- the speed of the car down the long walk (did they remember they were not at Silverstone??)
- the looooong speech of the american priest (but I liked how Zara seemed to be as bored as apparently everyone else but Meghan)
- her messy hair
- the long veil
- the guy with the cello who couldn't find an end

What concerned me:
- The Queen didnt look at her best today :( I hope she's not unwell.

Last edited:
As a Hollywood actress, she should be better equipped to handle crowds than other girls who married into the RF like Kate for example.

What does being an actress have to do with anything? There is nothing about being an actress that can prepare you for suddenly becoming a member of one of the oldest monarchies in the world and the future third lady of the land behind her stepmother-in-law and sister-in-law. As good as she was on Suits, she never had to deal with the kind of crowds and fame she'll have to deal with now for the rest of her life.

There is no training in the world that can prepare you for the life she's living now or the life that her sister-in-law is living right now. There are no books to read, no seminars to attend, and no documentaries to watch. You muck in and learn as you go along.

Henry and Meghan had the wedding they wanted, not the wedding everyone else wanted. If they wanted to, they could have gotten married at Westminster or St. Paul's, though I doubt they'd have chosen a larger venue than his brother had.

I sometimes wonder if people have trouble accepting that.

People seem to forget this was not a State event. Very few royal weddings actually are.

Finally...
What I liked:
- that Harry wore this black uniform (don't know about the exact regiment) and not a red one

What I disliked:
- the speed of the car down the long walk (did they remember they were not at Silverstone??)
- the looooong speech of the american priest (but I liked how Zara seemed to be as bored as apparently everyone else but Meghan)
- her messy hair
- the long veil

What concerned me:
I agree with everything you said. When I read about the hand embroidered veil, then saw it being pulled across the stone steps, it made me cringe (I'm a sewer). Yes, it could have been shorter. One thing I'm curious about though. Amal Clooney looked pretty good, but why does she walk in such an awkward way?

I must add that Charles and Camilla have been lovely to Doria. They are not the pompous, full-of-themselves people the press always wants them to be.

Charles will speak to anybody and is comfortable around everybody, regardless of where they come from.

Especially because you could tell Doria was way out of her comfort zone. She seems like a very private person who really doesn't care about any of this fame and popularity.

All i can say is that it was ... different : less royal but far more intimate. More Charles and Camilla 2005 than Will and Kate 2011 (as it was expected).
I think at the end the event fitted perfectly their personalities, as pointed out it was not a State Event and Harry and Meghan had the day they wanted : so mission accomplished !

I sometimes wonder if people have trouble accepting that.

I very much doubt if such a venue was on the cards, due to security costs....

What does being an actress have to do with anything? There is nothing about being an actress that can prepare you for suddenly becoming a member of one of the oldest monarchies in the world and the future third lady of the land behind her stepmother-in-law and sister-in-law. As good as she was on Suits, she never had to deal with the kind of crowds and fame she'll have to deal with now for the rest of her life.

There is no training in the world that can prepare you for the life she's living now or the life that her sister-in-law is living right now. There are no books to read, no seminars to attend, and no documentaries to watch. You muck in and learn as you go along.

But we've been told many times that her profession is what has prepared her for the job so well. Do you believe they are wrong?

I very much doubt if such a venue was on the cards, due to security costs....

Actually from all I've read, it'd actually be cheaper for security at London since they had enough security measure in place as is and the mall would be much easier to secure without buildings along the route. At Windsor, they had to install a lot of fixed asset security wise, and causing a higher capital expenditure.

But we've been told many times that her profession is what has prepared her for the job so well. Do you believe they are wrong?

I think people, or at least me, said she'd be comfortable speaking in public and in front of cameras, which she is. However, seeing all these people turn out to support them on what is a personally, not state, important day is different on an emotional level. It doesn't appear that she's anxious or scared, just moved.

I must add that Charles and Camilla have been lovely to Doria. They are not the pompous, full-of-themselves people the press always wants them to be.

Charles will speak to anybody and is comfortable around everybody, regardless of where they come from.

Especially because you could tell Doria was way out of her comfort zone. She seems like a very private person who really doesn't care about any of this fame and popularity.

I think it is very clear that Doria would probably have walked with Meghan down the aisle, but it would have been difficult, which is why Meghan probably didn't ask her to do it.

With Doria being a private person, and Thomas being even more reclusive, I'm wondering how Meghan came to be quite the opposite.

Being an actress makes her practiced at giving speeches, and being in front of people doing so. Like when she did an UN speech.

But when has she ever as an actress been in front of the types of crowds at the wedding today? Never. Nor the center of such huge focus as today. There isn't anything about acting which prepares for that event.

Did Harry and Meghan bow and curtsey to the Queen before they left the Chapel? I might have missed it.

I loved it. Congrats Harry and Meghan!

Yes they bowed and curtsied at the end of the National Anthem when they came back from signing the register.

I think Meghan (and Kate) were taken back by the sheer number of people who came to their weddings.

Did Harry and Meghan bow and curtsey to the Queen before they left the Chapel? I might have missed it.

They did right after the God Save The Queen. But it was an aerial shot, so it was really difficult to see. I went back and looked at it, and she curtsied and Harry bowed.

It was very underwhelming. I'm really 'meh' about it.

I'm just amazed at the amount of work and effort that must have been put in to all of it. The church, the gardens, the streets, the horses, the uniforms, not to mention the rest of the day. Does anyone know yet how much the dress cost?

Finally...
What I liked:
- Fergie attending :)

What I disliked:
- her messy hair
- the long veil

What concerned me:

I agree with your last point about The Queen not looking in great form today - she didn't seem to be smiling much, but perhaps that's just because the cameras were focussing on others.
The only thing that reassures me is how happy and smiley she looked recently at the Royal Windsor Horse Show, which she did seem to really enjoy!

Kate's dress looks like an off-white/cream version of the one she wore to Charlotte'e christening. I thought she didn't look very happy or comfortable. :ermm:

Charles interactions with both Meghan and Doria were lovely to see.

I think Meghan (and Kate) were taken back by the sheer number of people who came to their weddings.

I think it would be hard not to be shocked. There’s knowing what to expect and then there’s experiencing the visual reality.

Any idea who was sitting next to Doria during the ceremony?
I believe that was Meghan's good friend Benita Litt.

Did anyone else catch Charlotte, doing her patented "waving over the shoulder" as she ascended the steps?!

Yes. So adorable!

I agree with your last point about The Queen not looking in great form today - she didn't seem to be smiling much, but perhaps that's just because the cameras were focussing on others.
The only thing that reassures me is how happy and smiley she looked recently at the Royal Windsor Horse Show, which she did seem to really enjoy!

Philip looked amazing.. I wasn't going to watch, but Im glad I tuined in for a short time.. to see that he's looking so well and walking fine.

Kate's dress looks like an off-white/cream version of the one she wore to Charlotte'e christening. I thought she didn't look very happy or comfortable. :ermm:

True, I thought K looked tight lipped, bored and irritated...

Back
Top Bottom