Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with you, but I'm afraid that you chose a bad example. "Joyful, joyful" is a hymn of adoration to God and therefore entirely appropriate from a liturgical perspective... even if the Gospel rendition was out of place in that context. However, when it comes to the songs by Coldplay and Rihanna... that's a different story. They may have been meaningful to the couple, but they had zero relevance to the liturgy.

They did have relevance to the liturgy since its customary to include songs and/or poetry celebrating the love between the bridal couple during weddings in the Church of Sweden.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I was very impressed with the flowers and the cake. That cake was spectacular.

I was really impressed with the flowers too and found them quite stunning. Not only did they decorate the pews and the railing but also covered the wall behind the altar.

I was really impressed with the flowers too and found them quite stunning. Not only did they decorate the pews and the railing but also covered the wall behind the altar.

They looked like David Austin roses to me, which are old-fashioned in style like that but have a delightful fragrance.

That may have to do with cultural tradition, but it doesn't have anything to do with liturgy, with worshipping God. That's what "liturgy" means... "the work of the people"... the work of praise and adoration. Otherwise why not go to the civil registry office? You can play Rihanna there.

Maybe they were more interested in getting married than worshipping God.

Maybe they were more interested in getting married than worshipping God.

Then why not go to a civil registry office? One can get married there.

Last edited:
Then why not go to a civil registry office? You can get married there. It might be a more contextually appropriate setting for Rihanna and Coldplay.

Do you honestly believe that the son of the king would be able to get away with getting married in a registry office?

I really don't understand all this fuss about the music. They got married in a church in a religious service. The minister no doubt said all the necessary religious stuff. Everyone behaved respectfully. It's not as though they played heavy metal music. I'm sure the minister would have vetoed anything he considered inappropriate.

Carl Philip and Sofia had a wedding they probably had wished, but there was no class during the whole day.
I agree. The dress was lovely, and the flowers, but the music (except for the two hymns) :ohmy:

I was very impressed with the flowers and the cake. That cake was spectacular.

I didn't understand that cake...or those cakes... at all. It was just...weird. Does anyone know what flavor it was? Or does anyone have a photo of it after it was cut?

It just looked like a bunch of white porcelain pot lids connected by stainless steel beams.:sad:

I have to agree with claypoint2. Anyone not interested in worshipping God should not bother with a religious church wedding. Otherwise you are a hypocrite just mouthing meaningless words and reciting prayers that you don't believe in.

Be brave enough to admit you don't believe, and insist on a civil ceremony.

Last edited:
I didn't understand that cake...or those cakes... at all. It was just...weird. Does anyone know what flavor it was? Or does anyone have a photo of it after it was cut?

It just looked like a bunch of white porcelain pot lids connected by stainless steel beams.:sad:

There was a feature on it in the wedding coverage. The chef was interviewed. Unfortunately he was speaking Swedish so I have no idea what he said, though I do think "pistachio" was mentioned. It looked very interesting. Different layers and colourful. And I liked the interesting design with the different levels. It reminded me of the three dimensional chess set Sheldon and Leonard were playing in one episode of Big Bang Theory. :D

I have to agree with claypoint2. Anyone not interested in worshipping God should not bother with a religious church wedding. Otherwise you are a hypocrite just mouthing meaningless words and reciting prayers that you don't believe in.

Be brave enough to admit you don't believe, and insist on a civil ceremony.
That's actually the reason I refused to get married in a church, and why I do not recite the words of prayers or sing hymns when I do have to go to a church for funerals, etc. I am an atheist and I refuse to be a hypocrite in that regard.

But there are lots of people who do believe in God even though they are not active members of their church. People worship their God many different ways and to different degrees, and I reckon if they want to get married in church and their minister knows their level of belief and commitment and is willing to perform the service, that's fine. If you restricted church weddings to people who are staunch believers and regular churchgoers then a lot of churches would be empty on Saturday.

Last edited:
Well that makes sense Roslyn and I respect you for your honesty. Thanks.

But let's talk some more about that cake.:lol: Pistachio? Sounds delicious. Does anyone have any photos of it after it was sliced? The sugar addict in me is really desperate to know!

A "disaster"? Sofia's gown and the flowers were the best thing about the wedding, imo.

I can't deny that she was a perfectly beautiful bride, just as I expected she would be.

Agree. She was a great bride, beautiful, with a perfect gown (there have been gowns for more conservative brides I really dislike :whistling:).

This wedding cake i don't like at all. I don't mean the taste they don't send me a piece i mean the shape it was like a spaceship.

Yes! That's what it looked like...a spaceship!:lol:

But I have been to weddings where the cake didn't look pretty but tasted great.;)

Ok folks, I didn't realize pop music was common during swedish services. It is really a matter of taste, I am quite old school when it comes to liturgy.

For some strange reason, I'm going to try once more to inform everyone about weddings in Swedish tradition, just like JR76 and other Swedish posters including myself have done before (but with no luck). Here we go.

Besides the camera and tiaras, there was nothing going on during the wedding ceremony that was strange or out of the ordinary. They followed the wedding lithurgy of the Church of Sweden from top to toe. Nothing was changed in that matter.

The ritual includes one or two psalms from the traditional book of psalms. Besides that, it is custom that the bride and groom picks 2-3 other songs that means a lot to them, and that they are made part of the ceremony. This happend at both Victorias and Madeleines weddings, and it's happening at almost all other Church weddings in Sweden.

You may or may not like the music that is chosen, and that's fine. We have different tastes. (I didn't like the second one either). But if you're suggesting that the wedding was tacky because the couple chose some contemporary song, I think you've misunderstod what Swedish marriage traditions look like.

The last song was a gospel. It's an adptation of Beethovens "Ode an die freude". Gospel music like this has been part of the music tradition here in Sweden for a long time now, and lots of churches have their own gospel choir. I think that most swedes were plesantly surprised that they chose a gospel song (with christian lyrics) to end the ceremony.

Other countries have different traditions. I understand and respect that. You may like or dislike this couple, and you may like or dislike their choice in music. But it is very much in keeping with Swedish tradition, and their choice in music says nothing about their personal faith in God (or lack thereof). And since it's totally in keeping with the tradition, there is no reason what so ever for anyone of their wedding officiants to complain about anything.

Watching ceremony was most enjoyable in all respects. Estelle as usually adorable, also when watching the ceiling of the Church, so many things to discover at that age. Adorable her mother Victoria shedding some tears...
Sofia was remarkably nice, very elegant, I love her dress; it reminds me a bit of the one of Kate however. I think king CG is impressed by her charm.
Dad Chris was nice in his babysitting duties, Leonor not being that easy to control; he looked at his watch... Daniel was so nice again in offering to help in babysitting, a nice testimony of gender equality, so appreciated in Sweden.
I liked the dresses of the royal ladies, the one of Victoria quite appropriate for a summer wedding. I wished them all the best and now particularly to Madie.

For some strange reason, I'm going to try once more to inform everyone about weddings in Swedish tradition, just like JR76 and other Swedish posters including myself have done before (but with no luck). Here we go.

Besides the camera and tiaras, there was nothing going on during the wedding ceremony that was strange or out of the ordinary. They followed the wedding lithurgy of the Church of Sweden from top to toe. Nothing was changed in that matter.

The ritual includes one or two psalms from the traditional book of psalms. Besides that, it is custom that the bride and groom picks 2-3 other songs that means a lot to them, and that they are made part of the ceremony. This happend at both Victorias and Madeleines weddings, and it's happening at almost all other Church weddings in Sweden.

You may or may not like the music that is chosen, and that's fine. We have different tastes. (I didn't like the second one either). But if you're suggesting that the wedding was tacky because the couple chose some contemporary song, I think you've misunderstod what Swedish marriage traditions look like.

The last song was a gospel. It's an adptation of Beethovens "Ode an die freude". Gospel music like this has been part of the music tradition here in Sweden for a long time now, and lots of churches have their own gospel choir. I think that most swedes were plesantly surprised that they chose a gospel song (with christian lyrics) to end the ceremony.

Other countries have different traditions. I understand and respect that. You may like or dislike this couple, and you may like or dislike their choice in music. But it is very much in keeping with Swedish tradition, and their choice in music says nothing about their personal faith in God (or lack thereof). And since it's totally in keeping with the tradition, there is no reason what so ever for anyone of their wedding officiants to complain about anything.

Many thanks for this - it is always good to have the perspective of someone from Sweden when discussing a Swedish royal wedding!
The way you describe a typical Swedish wedding sounds very familiar to me - some traditional elements and plenty of personal elements from the bride and groom. It could easily be anyone else wedding (unless you're Amish or another strict church).
What I will say is that all three royal weddings we have witnessed in Sweden have been a delight to watch, sunshine each time, a bright and breezy feel about them with much joy and just as much tradition, pomp and ceremony as there has been the personal and at times modern touches.
I hope with all sincerity that I will be around in 30 odd years to see it all again!

Ok, thanks for explaining.
My objections then go to the church of Sweden theological's views on marriage, that reflect on its wedding liturgy, rather than to the newly wed couple.

Ok, thanks for explaining.
My objections then go to the church of Sweden theological's views on marriage, that reflect on its wedding liturgy, rather than to the newly wed couple.

Just out of curiosity, what is is in the Church of Swedens theological veiw on marriage that you don't like? It is a lutheran church, so if you are a catholic, I understand that you disagree on the stance that marriage is not a sacrament. But besides that?

I just listened for the first time to the speech of Carl Philip, wonderful! I think we can spot Daniel as a background source of inspiration.

I thought the bride looked lovely ....wasnt to keen on the bridesmaid dresses , I really liked how Daniel held his nieces , helping the parents out , when the wedding was going on , she was such a good little girl , but I must admit , really didnt like any of the music ........... call me old fashion , didnt feel like a royal wedding for some reason , but they looked happy :) and that all that matters, he isnt going to be king , so it doesnt matter does it .

Do we know if the couple have left for honeymoon? Is honeymoon a tradition in Sweden as well? Oh it makes me miss my own ;-)

I would love to see those two pictures of Fred and Mary in HQ and without watermarks! I love Mathilde's hair style.

These ones of Mathilde and Mary leaving the church together are beautiful (Frederik meanwhile followed his mother down the stairs.
https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8d1580e6bbdd3447964a27e5fea89a90&oe=55E7AC01
https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8440966621e252b5c908274b0c955207&oe=55F60CA6
https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=3eb825330be2767f3493c4cdcf0ed594&oe=55E7B11D
https://scontent-ams2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=69aab0b28b824d5accc5223fd3cd0e39&oe=56307C72

Last edited:
I just listened for the first time to the speech of Carl Philip, wonderful! I think we can spot Daniel as a background source of inspiration.

What a pity that we never get known with the speech of Christopher O'Neill to his bride, Madeleine!

Just out of curiosity, what is is in the Church of Swedens theological veiw on marriage that you don't like? It is a lutheran church, so if you are a catholic, I understand that you disagree on the stance that marriage is not a sacrament. But besides that?

I will try to answer. No offence intended, and I apologize by advance if my words sound offending.

A catholic, I believe wedding is a sacrament. A christian, I believe religious wedding is not only the couple's matter but equally God's matter. A religious wedding is not only the union of a couple, it is the union of the couple with God. That is why I am not in favour of letting a couple choosing texts and songs that are not religious. The center of a wedding service should not be the projects for life of the marrying couple but God and what place will have God in their future marrying life.
What I am saying here does apply for my own church as, even if catholic liturgical guidelines forbid the use of non-biblical texts and non-religious hymns, their use is still frequent. I don't know the swedish situation, but here, we have numerous hymns that can be used by couples who wish a religious wedding and are still uncertain of their faith's depth. I have worked with parents before a child's christening and even those who are not firm believers do understand these requirements, which are the same for a christening mass or service.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me which tiara's the sisters of King Carl XVI Gustaf have worn?

Can someone tell me which tiara's the sisters of King Carl XVI Gustaf have worn?
Here is a picture of them: http://www.gettyimages.de/detail/nachrichtenfoto/princess-christina-mrs-magnuson-guest-guest-princess-nachrichtenfoto/476990698

From left to right:
Princess Christina wore the six-button tiara, her favourite from the Bernadotte collection.
Princess Desiree wore the large cut steel tiara, the same she wore at Princess Madeleines wedding.
Princess Birgitta wore the Baden fringe tiara for the first time.
Princess Margaretha wore her own aquamarine tiara again.

I thought the wedding cakes looked very weird...what the heck was that design? Definately not a fan of whatever that was.

LaRae

I understand it was OK with Swedish tradition. My concern is, however, that there were foreign royal guests in attendance who come from a different tradition and may have felt umcomfortable with it. Imagine if Queen Sofia, or Queen Beatrix, or, in the extreme case, Queen Elizabeth II were present at the wedding ! I'm pretty sure they would have felt extremely uncomfortable having to clap their hands to a gospel choir. Maybe Queen Margrethe or even King Carl Gustaf himself felt it was odd. I understand choices and local tradition, but one should be mindful of not embarassing one's guests or putting them in awkward situations.

In comparison, CP Victoria's wedding had, as far as I can recall, one pop song performance (written especially for Victoria and Daniel). The rest of the ceremony was a mix of classical music and church hymns.

I will try to answer. No offence intended, and I apologize by advance if my words sound offending.

A catholic, I believe wedding is a sacrament. A christian, I believe religious wedding is not only the couple's matter but equally God's matter. A religious wedding is not only the union of a couple, it is the union of the couple with God. That is why I am not in favour of letting a couple choosing texts and songs that are not religious. The center of a wedding service should not be the projects for life of the marrying couple but God and what place will have God in their future marrying life.
What I am saying here does apply for my own church as, even if catholic liturgical guidelines forbid the use of non-biblical texts and non-religious hymns, their use is still frequent. I don't know the swedish situation, but here, we have numerous hymns that can be used by couples who wish a religious wedding and are still uncertain of their faith's depth. I have worked with parents before a child's christening and even those who are not firms believer do understand these requirements, which are the same for a christening mass or service.

No offence taken, and thanks for the explaination. I understand your comments better now.

I understand it was OK with Swedish tradition. My concern is, however, that there were foreign royal guests in attendance who come from a different tradition and may have felt umcomfortable with it. Imagine if Queen Sofia, or Queen Beatrix, or, in the extreme case, Queen Elizabeth II were present at the wedding ! I'm pretty sure they would have felt extremely uncomfortable having to clap their hands to a gospel choir. Maybe Queen Margrethe or even King Carl Gustaf himself felt it was odd. I understand choices and local tradition, but one should be mindful of not embarassing one's guests or putting them in awkward situations.

In comparison, CP Victoria's wedding had, as far as I can recall, one pop song performance (written especially for Victoria and Daniel). The rest of the ceremony was a mix of classical music and church hymns.

I understand your point, but I think you underestimate the guests. They didn't have to clap if they didn't want to, and clapping your hands to a song is hardly the most embarrasing thing a royalty has done. Especially senior royals who has been around for a while. Most of them are familliar with the different traditions of each others countries, and even if they don't like them, they respect them.

I thought the wedding cakes looked very weird...what the heck was that design? Definately not a fan of whatever that was.

LaRae

Most weddings today do not have the traditional 5 beautiful layers on their cakes with sweet bride and groom standing on top. Most now even have childish cupcakes. A new fad but the young like it and we older ones just like to eat them!!! Only kidding. All really new and rather delightful designs that bridal couple pick out as it is their own personal special look. Didn't I read that this groom actually drew exactly how he wanted them to look? Nice.

Back
Top Bottom