Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
am i also the only one who thought that royal representation at this wedding was suspiciously low? to madeleine's there was more and higher ranking royalty attending:

for greece, The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Greece came along with Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana of Greece and Denmark, Philippos and Theodora, this time it was Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana of Greece and Denmark. luxembourg sent representation (The Hereditary Grand Duke and Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg). monaco sent representation (The Princess of Monaco)

I think you and many others are missing the point. The issue IS NOT COMMONERS. The problem is COMMON COMMONERS.

If I was Dutch I'd be proud as heck to have the former Maxima Zorregueta as my Queen. Same if I was Luxembourgish with Maria-Teresa Mestre. Neither of those women have "bloodlines" but there is nothing vulgar or common about them and their past and present conduct.

If you and the others don't know the difference I can't explain it to you.:sad:

No I'm not missing the point and your comments just reek of elitism.

Yes Sofia has a past, many people do. The difference is no one is posting their past on the front pages. She's not still posing topless or in skimpy clothing. Everyone needs to move on.

Did I like the music? No. That doesn't make Sofia 'common'. The whole royal family appear to have had a great time...maybe they were just slumming it.

LaRae

I thought this wedding was a lot of fun to watch. The bride was beautiful, the groom looked thrilled and everyone seemed to have a wonderful time.

I thought it was great to watch and look forward to watching Princess Sofia adapt to her role over the next several months.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Nothing that happened during the wedding ceremony would be deemed inappropriate, chocking or even unusual to anyone in Sweden. The royal setting aside it was a normal Swedish wedding where music was used to celebrate the love between the bridal couple. For the Church of Sweden it has been a standard for the last 30-40 years to, within certain boundaries use music and poetry to give a personal touch.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Perhaps people have different ideas of how music should glorify God. The pop songs have no religious basis, which is a large part of the reason I dislike when they're included in weddings. But "Joyful, Joyful" is obviously adapted from a hymn of praise. The arrangement might not be to everyone's tastes, but if people think it's alright to have classical music or even modern music that isn't of religious influence, why on earth should gospel music be objectionable? I mean, I'm an Episcopalian who is accustomed to singing traditional hymns in church, but I don't see a gospel arrangement as bringing any less glory to God whatsoever. I realize it has to do with people's own tastes and traditions, but apparently gospel choirs are common in Sweden, and I know in the United States I've seen them incorporated into all kinds of services and in a variety of different denominations.

For me, the recessional was beautiful because it felt truly "Joyful" indeed. A great way to incorporate religious music in a celebratory way.

It's actually a gospel version of Beethovens 9'th symphony, "Ode an die freude". (As a side note, I've sung both versions and like them in their own way). You can listen to the whole original piece here. If you want to hear just the part that is adapted, it starts at around 7:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWocYObumVo

Last edited:
No I'm not missing the point and your comments just reek of elitism.

Yes Sofia has a past, many people do. The difference is no one is posting their past on the front pages. She's not still posing topless or in skimpy clothing. Everyone needs to move on.

Did I like the music? No. That doesn't make Sofia 'common'. The whole royal family appear to have had a great time...maybe they were just slumming it.

LaRae

Well, we've finally found some common(no pun intended) ground, something we can agree on.:cool:

I have just watched the full ceremony and the music choice was truly awful, I mean, really toe-curlingly awful. The tune she walked down the aisle to was funeral like and the guy singing the Coldplay song was bad beyond belief as well as singing a pretty morose pop song. We then had Rhianna and the congregation dancing and clapping in the pews as the couple left the church. Just dreadful, the whole thing.

She seemed a bit off to me throughout the whole thing, like maybe she was injured or something. She wobbled or limped a bit on the orange carpet on the way to the church. She seemed to be leaning heavily on the stone railing of the staircase while they were lining up for the large group photo. And somewhere I saw a photo that looked she was sitting down on a gold chair, with Mary and possible Frederick talking to her.

I suspect it might be the spinal stenosis, arthritis disease in the spine, causing her trouble again. It has caused her terrible pain in her back and legs before, it can be quite physically demanding for her to stand up for longer periods of time – hence why she sat down outside at the wedding (and why she's had to sit down for the recent couple of New Year's Levees).

For those who found the music shocking and unsuitable:

Wouldn't the priest (or whatever the officiant is called) have to agree with the music being used? If it was alright with him/her, then how can we object to it?

I really enjoyed watching the wedding yesterday and reading everyone's comments on here but some of them made me kinda sad today.
I've never been a big fan of Sophia's and didn't think this relationship would last. But yesterday it was so evident that they are very much in love and happy with each other. We aren't the ones who married her so I feel some of the criticism is a bit harsh. If his family has accepted her and all that, let's just get on with it. We've seen far too many Royal/aristo marriages that have gone south due to unhappiness and poor choices, let's just wish them well and that their happiness continues!

Wouldn't the priest (or whatever the officiant is called) have to agree with the music being used? If it was alright with him/her, then how can we object to it?

Depends on the Church and then there are always those of a more progressive mindset within them too.

A person could object if their Church is one of the ones who has guidelines about what is or isn't allowed during a Service/Mass....and if it wasn't allowed.

LaRae

It's actually a gospel version of Beethovens 9'th symphony, "Ode an die freude". (As a side note, I've sung both versions and like them in their own way). You can listen to the whole original piece here. If you want to hear just the part that is adapted, it starts at around 7:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWocYObumVo

Thank you for that link! Yes, I'm familiar with both the traditional version as well as several other versions (from gospel to rock). When I say that it's a gospel adaptation of a hymn, I was referring to essentially the same thing. "Joyful, Joyful" is derived from a hymn known as the "Hymn of Joy" or "Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee," in which the lyrics were written as a poem that were intentionally meant to be set to the music of Beethoven's 9th symphony.

The wedding was wonderful, congratulations to the couple.
The hair veil and the tiara i love it tey were wonderful. But the bridal gown a disaster. A mix of i dont know. I dont like it. The swedish wedding gowns from victoria and madeleine were fantastic but this wasnt good.

I really enjoyed watching the wedding yesterday and reading everyone's comments on here but some of them made me kinda sad today.
I've never been a big fan of Sophia's and didn't think this relationship would last. But yesterday it was so evident that they are very much in love and happy with each other. We aren't the ones who married her so I feel some of the criticism is a bit harsh. If his family has accepted her and all that, let's just get on with it. We've seen far too many Royal/aristo marriages that have gone south due to unhappiness and poor choices, let's just wish them well and that their happiness continues!

Lovely sentiments, Crashley! :flowers: I totally agree with what you say about their love and happiness being obvious and I share your hope that it continues.

I thought Carl Philip's speech was beautiful (thank you for translating it, xenobia). It is clear that they have had some hurdles in their relationship but they have cleared them and now they are married and I think their wedding was lovely in every respect. Not that it matters what I think, because it was their wedding, and the minister and the families and everyone else seemed to approve and have a good time. Their love for each other is palpable and seeing them so very happy made me feel happy.

I also feel privileged to have had the opportunity to watch the full thing on my computer. They were generous to share so much of their wedding with the public and I could have done without the glimpses into their private time at the party, but I have to say I was absolutely delighted to see Queen Silvia whooping it up with the rest of them. :D

Enjoyed seeing the other Royal ladies
They are stunning and classy
Hope Sophia observes and blends in nicely
We shall see

I feel much the same as you do. Admittedly, I don't know much about Sofia aside from the basics, and that didn't exactly make me think highly of her. However, as you say, their love for each other is quite evident. Even though I didn't like everything about the wedding ceremony, I felt that it did convey a lovely sense of personality, warmth, and family. And the bride and the groom both seemed so, so happy - it was almost contagious. I went from feeling quite hesitant about them as a couple to feeling quite joyful for them and certainly hoping that they have a happy future ahead of them.

Well, I must say that I enjoyed watching another Royal Wedding. Although, I would have chosen different music (for sure), it is their wedding. And, I really appreciate that the Swedish Royal Family allows us to be a part of their family events. I was glad to see that the couple seemed to truly love one another. The cathedral was beautiful. Stockholm is beautiful. It looked to be a gorgeous day. The guests, royal and "regular folks" seemed to be enjoying themselves. I always wish the media would be quiet. Smile... I hope that Queen Margarethe is well. I was glad to see Prince Daniel helping her up the stairs at the palace. (I remember seeing Sophie of Wessex talking with Queen Margarethe and Queen Beatrix at Victoria and Daniel's wedding.) I loved all the beautiful gowns and incredible jewels!!! Could Queen Maxima or Queen Mathilde be more beautiful? And, of course, Estelle is so adorable. I truly wish all the best for this couple.

Did they say where they were going on their honeymoon trip?

LaRae

If "it's over" why does this Board exist with tens of thousand of past and current posters, and more signing up daily?

Why does ANYONE bother to post?

If Royals aren't considered something special still, why is TRF only one of many boards dedicated to them?

Why? Because they're there! And they're interesting. And they live lives that are very different from ours. They inhabit a fairytale world rooted in history with customs and traditions extending way back to our society's ancient past.

We don't have to be monarchists to be interested in history, and Royals are part of our history even though those in our constitutional monarchies have virtually no real power these days. They are an anachronistic curiosity, but they are still alive for us to observe and enjoy, like twitchers watch birds.

Watching the Royals go about their strange, detached, lives and passing their milestones enables us to watch historical events happening. In a way it's like visiting Jurassic Park but we don't have to worry about the inhabitants attacking us and eating us. (I haven't seen Jurassic World yet, but I'm looking forward to it.)

And we find it particularly interesting when one of our own enters their world and becomes part of it. Some of us who find comfort in the mystique of Royalty and the notion that its members are somehow different from the rest of us may find it unsettling that an ordinary person can metamorphose into one of Them by simply undergoing a wedding ceremony, because when that happens we have to confront the fact that Royals are only people, albeit people whose ancestors had more luck or stronger armies than our ancestors. And the fact that one of our own can undergo that metamorphosis and emerge after their wedding with the tag of Her (or His) Royal Highness before their name is interesting in itself.

Last edited:
Thank you Roslyn and Isabella! And I do agree about the happiness being contagious...I was in a good mood all day yesterday watching it! Probably the only wedding I'll "get to go to" all year. How sad! Haha:p

Did they say where they were going on their honeymoon trip?

LaRae

I don't know, but wherever they go I hope they have tons of fun on that honeymoon!!!

I don't know, but wherever they go I hope they have tons of fun on that honeymoon!!!

Er well...nothing new to be experienced really....but maybe they will go a place they've never been so that would be nice!

LaRae

The wedding was wonderful, congratulations to the couple.
The hair veil and the tiara i love it tey were wonderful. But the bridal gown a disaster. A mix of i dont know. I dont like it. The swedish wedding gowns from victoria and madeleine were fantastic but this wasnt good.

A "disaster"? Sofia's gown and the flowers were the best thing about the wedding, imo.

I can't deny that she was a perfectly beautiful bride, just as I expected she would be.

A "disaster"? Sofia's gown and the flowers were the best thing about the wedding, imo.

I can't deny that she was a perfectly beautiful bride, just as I expected she would be.

Don't forget the tiara. :flowers: It was pretty cool.

:previous:Oh my God...YES!! That tiara!! What was I thinking??

And those delicious, exquisite babies Lenore and Estelle.....:whistling:

I was very impressed with the flowers and the cake. That cake was spectacular.

I am currently watching the end of the ceremony with "Joyful, joyful". I am definitely unimpressed. It had no class IMHO.
Love for liturgical rite is a good reason for my being a catholic. I can't get used to non-liturgical music being performed in a religiou ceremony.

I agree with you, but I'm afraid that you chose a bad example. "Joyful, joyful" is a hymn of adoration to God and therefore entirely appropriate from a liturgical perspective... even if the Gospel rendition was out of place in that context. However, when it comes to the songs by Coldplay and Rihanna... that's a different story. They may have been meaningful to the couple, but they had zero relevance to the liturgy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom