Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotta wonder if Emma Pernauld took the time to watch the wedding yesterday?

Your remark may me wonder. Could royal non-attendences to the wedding be explained by them feeling Sofia is highly unsuitable as a royal?

I wouldn't look too much into that... there were less royals at P.Madeleine's wedding and nobody questioned Chris's suitability

I can't tell about Mette-Marit because I don't follow her. but it seems to be that Daniel has been a very effective consort to the Crown Princess of Sweden. Since they got married, he has been in countless state visits and meetings and I'm not aware of anyone having any problem with his formerly being a "personal trainer". I don't see any reason why Sofia couldn't be an effective consort to Prince Carl Philip, whose official duties BTW will always have a much lower profile than his elder sister's anyway. And, yes, both Daniel and Sofia are addressed as "Royal Highness", so I suggest that those who find that "appalling" should try to get over it !

As for Maxima and Letizia, they were both accomplished professional women before they got married. I suppose they are as qualified to be queen consorts as anyone of noble birth, and certainly far more qualified than Diana was. I can't comment on Mary Donaldson because I know little about her pre-marriage life.

Last edited:
I had high hopes for the service when I heard the entrance song. It was quite beautiful.

I think Beethoven is rolling over in his grave regarding the recessional. Alas, I will never be able to listen to Joyful, Joyful in the same manner ever again. :whistling:

Yes, the ceremony had started in a very promising way... and to me Sofia's entrance has been one of the best, if no the best, entrances ever... To be fair, I liked the modern tone the ceremony ended, but it would have been better to keep it classical, or make the mass totally modern. Not a fan of the mix. I really thought the obnoxious "clap your hands" spoiled much of the emotional mood...

I wouldn't look too much into that... there were less royals at P.Madeleine's wedding and nobody questioned Chris's suitability

There were four queens, several HRHs and one HIH at the wedding, which is quite impressive for a prince who is not the heir to the throne. At Victoria's wedding, there was massive royal atttendance, because she is the Crown Princess, even though Daniel, like Sofia, was not a "conventional" groom,

Yes, the ceremony had started in a very promising way... and to me Sofia's entrance has been one of the best, if no the best, entrances ever... To be fair, I liked the modern tone the ceremony ended, but it would have been better to keep it classical, or make the mass totally modern. Not a fan of the mix. I really thought the obnoxious "clap your hands" spoiled much of the emotional mood...

The gospel version of Beethoven's music in itself was not so bad, but I think it was a bad choice for the recessional procession. Thankfully, the cameras cut to Sofia and CP and didn't show the rest of the Royal Family and the royal guests leaving the church while the chorus was singing and the congregation was clapping. The younger royals like Frederik and Haakon might have been OK with it, but I wonder if Queen Margrethe or even Mathilde and Edward Wessex felt uncomfortable with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were four queens, several HRHs and one HIH at the wedding, which is quite impressive for a prince who is not the heir to the throne. At Victoria's wedding, there was massive royal atttendance, because she is the Crown Princess, even though Daniel, like Sofia, was not a "conventional" groom,

Ok, thanks for your answer.

I am currently watching the end of the ceremony with "Joyful, joyful". I am definitely unimpressed. It had no class IMHO.
Love for liturgical rite is a good reason for my being a catholic. I can't get used to non-liturgical music being performed in a religiou ceremony.

Ok, thanks for your answer.

I am currently watching the end of the ceremony with "Joyful, joyful". I am definitely unimpressed. It had no class IMHO.
Love for liturgical rite is a good reason for my being a catholic. I can't get used to non-liturgical music being performed in a religiou ceremony.

The entrance song, which many people here seem to have enjoyed, is also pop music by Enya. Personally, I disliked the entire music program (except for the hymns), but the press had warned us that CP and Sofia had picked all the music themselves and didn't want any advice from the Royal Court. So, I wasn't surprised,

Last edited:
I knew nothing about Princess Takamado till yesterday, but I was impressed by her elegance and charm, and I really love her smiling eyes. She seems quite delightful, and I'm going to make a point of finding out more about her now.

It seems she got in very well with Edward and Sophie yesterday and she even held Sophie's bag as she and Edward danced.

The entrance song, which many people here seem to have enjoyed, is also pop music by Enya. Personally, I disliked the entire music program (except for the hymns), but the press had warned us that CP and Sofia had picked all the music themselves and didn't want any advice from the Royal Court. So, I wasn't surprised,

Seen it too. I like it, but not for a royal wedding. It is a perfect movie music, it doesn't fit for a royal wedding.

Sofia's sisters both look like their mother. I'm guessing she looks like her father -- I couldn't tell. Anyone else?

??
I very much doubt, that the Wessex couple were the least bit lost...
Having attended so many European weddings and other events, they must know all pretty well. There have been many photos of them interacting warmly with others.

Exacty - they know pretty much everyone there - they are Royal wedding veterans and are probably considered friends by many of them. Lots of photos of them interacting with others:

Sophie and the Queens

Sophie and Victoria

During the dinner Edward seemed to be doing a fine job of enteraining is table which included Mette-Marit and Maxima, both people's weddings he has attended and people who he probably considers friends.

Personally i felt the music choices were DIRE.. ill fitting the Divine nature of the Sacrament of Marriage.. How different [in musicality] was the Wedding ceremony of HRH the prince of Wales, and the then Lady Diana Spencer, or even the more contemprary wedding of the Duke of Cambridge and Catherine Middleton ! Both were a musical feast of major proportion, with nothing culled from American Comedy Films, or 'Pop' music... The place for those 'tunes' was the reception...

Last edited:
I'm going to jump in here and comment about the music choices. Although I do not have sound active on my computer, from reading here, it seems that the choices of music didn't sit well with a lot of people.

A lot of aspects of church ceremony and protocol has changed drastically in the past 60 years (going by how long I've been on this planet). If we flash back to the 50s and 60s, it would be unheard of and even start a few shocked whispers for a woman to enter a church (I'm going by my Catholic upbringing) with a bare head let alone wearing pants. Liturgies in English made their debut in my lifetime and we had the onset of folk masses. In fact, for my music at my wedding in the early 70s, we selected tunes from the Sound of Music and another well known folk song "Today". It reflected us.

To me, this is how it should be. Its a celebration of two people joining their lives and should reflect the joy and happiness they have on this occasion. Going back to ancient times, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise." That's exactly what they did if you ask me. :)

Last edited:
I was just looking at another royalty site and they had photos of the after party and it looks like Sophia had a different top or entire dress on later in the evening.

thanks to all posters on a most entertaining wedding. i was intrigued by the wedding speeches and wondered whether any Swedish speakers could share what was said?

Exactly. Sorry, she's just a party girl, no princess material. I wish them well, but as Mr & Mrs Bernadotte. As a royal, CP did an abysmal choice and for me I could see it throughout the wedding. They both have no class at all.

I cannot imagine anyone addressing Sofia with 'Your Royal Highness' or 'Princess Sofia' without laughing out loud or asking oneself: seriously?

With representatives like her, it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are, people supposed to be better or role models who come without any substance or basis.

You've stated my feelings to the letter Duke of Marmalade. Every single word.

But it's over, they are married now and if the SRF and the people of Sweden have no opposition to HRH Princess Sofia there is nothing else to do but wish them the best and move on.

I thought it was a lovely wedding and hopefully CP and Sofia can start to put some of her past behind them now and move on as a married couple and valued part of the ROyal Family (both privately and officially).
I agree about the music, I didn't think it was appropriate for a Church wedding, even though I liked all the music/songs played. I though they would be more suited to a wedding at a different, non-religious,venue and indeed many weddings at stately homes, beaches etc have used similar music. I guess here in the UK i am use to people usually having more religious hymns at church weddings. But that's why every wedding is different and personal.

Exactly. Sorry, she's just a party girl, no princess material. I wish them well, but as Mr & Mrs Bernadotte. As a royal, CP did an abysmal choice and for me I could see it throughout the wedding. They both have no class at all.

I cannot imagine anyone addressing Sofia with 'Your Royal Highness' or 'Princess Sofia' without laughing out loud or asking oneself: seriously?

With representatives like her, it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are, people supposed to be better or role models who come without any substance or basis.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank goodness for Victoria and Daniel (and cute little Estelle).

Last edited:
I think Sofia will make him very happy. He appears to be a gentle, sensitiveman, easily hurt! He publicly stated that the harsh criticism of Sofia wassimilar to the bullying he himself experienced by the press and media. At leastit will be easier, now he has Sofia by his side.

His family are okay with his decision, herfamily are okay with her decision, I’m sure the Swedish Royal Family will be justfine! Most people have a past they’drather forget, except maybe a lucky few! Even if she has no regrets; it’s all a long time ago!

Last edited:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank goodness for Victoria and Daniel (and cute little Estelle).

Monarchies are dated and anachronistic. They exist through the will of the people. No nation has a monarch in Western Europe that rules. Those that are looking down their noses at a lovely wedding and a lovely bride and groom, better hike back to the 19th Century. All that stuff is over. Four of the queens in attendance are commoners. Everyone seemed to have a good time. They all looked lovely. The bride and groom seem to love each other very much. The groom's mother looked like she was having a swell time from a glimpse in a window. And there are, really, no royals. Just a made up word to rule over others. It is long over.

thanks to all posters on a most entertaining wedding. i was intrigued by the wedding speeches and wondered whether any Swedish speakers could share what was said?

I can try to translate Carl Philips speech later tonight.

Monarchies are dated and anachronistic

That is indeed your [and the Republican view] Countess. How many i wonder tho', would while away so pleasurable an afternoon watching the nuptials of one of Mr Camerons/Obama/Abbott's children ? Who would line the streets, buy the television rights, throw parties or copy the frocks ?

NOBODY Whatsoever !

Last edited:
Here is a rough translation of Carl Philips speech. If something is spelled the wrong way or sounds strange, it's probably me, not him :)

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Excellences, ladies and gentlemen, dear family and friends, and last but not least, my dear wife Sofia.

Sometimes you reach a turing point. A choice that defies your whole future, and which touches the core of who you are and who you want to be. It often takes courage. Courage to not chose the easy way because is is the easy one, but courage to stay on the hard way because it's the right way.

Sofia, we never chose the hard way, it chose us. Every time we tried to make another choice, love brought us together again. Every time we tried to stay away from each other my heart became empty. And at last, at last Sofia, we made the right choice - a choice that makes me the happiest man on earth. Sofia, you fill my life with love and joy.

Today we prove that love conquers all.

Everyone who got to know you knows that the only thing that beats your utter beauty is your inner beauty.

My friends, you all know that Sofias strength and courage isn't just about our love. It's bigger than that. When you started Project Playground, it was so much more than a project far away in South Africa. It was hundreds of children and young people who were given a hope of a better future, and the hope af a better world. A world filled with empathy, commitment and love.

You stand up for strong values with passion and courage. The perhaps most important of them all: to be yourself, and stand up for yourself. And that love knows no boundaries, including religion, gender or background.

Sofia, all of us who knows you know that you are a hard working woman with a strong sense of duty and a big loyalty towards your assignments. I know for sure that you will approach your new role with a large sense of responsibility and hard work.

Dad, mum, my dear sisters and brothers in law: I don't have the words to describe how happy I am that you have accepted Sofia with open arms. Your support has meant a lot for both of us, both in better and worse times. I know that I speak for all of us when I say that you have enriched our family, Sofia.

I also want to thank your family, Sofia, who have accepted me with open arms. I have been blessed with another family. A family with a lot of warmth, love and care.

I would also like to thank the swedish people for the support you have given our love. The joy we have met from you has warmed our hearts.

Dear friends, I would like to take you with me on a little trip that started on June 24'th 2014. It's one of the most important trips of my life. I drove 670 kilometers for nine hours, or 32 400 seconds. My goal was the unemployment agency in Mora - and no, I wasn't looking for a new job. I was on my way to meet my future father in law to ask for Sofias hand in marriage. Never before has a trip been so important for me as this one.

My beloved Sofia, today is the start of a new chapter in my life. In your life. In our life. I don't know what awaits us in the future, but I know that your love makes me able to meet any challenge that might come my way. Your common sense, your commitment and your courage inspire me. I'm proud to say that you are my role model.

Sofia, the thought of doing good thing in my life together with you fulfills me. I have much left to learn in life, and much left to do. It's a long journey, and I'm looking forward to making that journey together with you. But I've already learned the most important thing - that love conquers all. Sofia, you are the best. I love you so much.

Dear Friends! Please join me in the most important toast – a toast for a love that conquers all. A toast to my beloved and beautiful wife Sofia.

Link to the speech from SVT: http://www.svt.se/prinsbrollopet/sofia-du-ar-bast-jag-alskar-dig

Link to the speech in swedish: H.K.H. Prins Carl Philips tal vid bröllopet, lördagen den 13 juni 2015 - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Last edited:
:previous:I agree wyevale.

If "it's over" why does this Board exist with tens of thousand of past and current posters, and more signing up daily?

Why does ANYONE bother to post?

If Royals aren't considered something special still, why is TRF only one of many boards dedicated to them?

But I do agree that they have almost completely lost any mystique they once had.

And that goes for all of them.

And someday another commoner will be queen (Kate). What difference does it make? There's no such thing as 'royal bloodlines' anyway. How many times have thrones been toppled by war and other machinations and new 'blood' taken over?

It's just a lingering tradition now from days long ago. If a country wants to retain that connection to their history by allowing a family to 'pretend' to rule...that's up to them. Just don't expect people in this day and age to think there's anything superior about the 'royal' families. So all the angst about royals marrying unsuitable spouses etc is just silly. I mean really...we are all equal....and good Lord some of the royals aren't exactly someone you'd want to marry anyway...they all have their own vices and skeletons.

LaRae

She is waving and the people are probably waving to her; we see only one side. She was waving most of the morning. She is enjoying her wedding day. Nothing I'm better than you about it. They all seemed to having a good time. As much as I do love royalty , I have never and would never think of them as better than me. They got lucky and were born into their place; some married into it and again, it's just simple luck. For me they are humans who make mistakes and and live their lives. I love seeing them having a good time, not being cold and acting all stuffy.

Absolutely agree. I have no need or desire that there are people better than me. As you say it is all the luck of the draw. For those who are so against Sophia, I think they need to do more historical reading. There are many, many before Sophia who have joined "royal" families and ended up almost creating dynasties.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom