Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaha i loved the ending. I knew this would be controversial. People are not used to have gospel music at weddings. However gospel music is music for praise and worship more than other forms of music so it is in no way unappropriate.

I cried as much as Mette-Marit when Salem Al Fakir sang his rendition of Coldplay's "Fix you".

Although I am not saying it wasn't appropriate, that was not normal gospel music. It's the version from Sister Act and includes a Janet Jackson song. So, it's a bit different.

Can we please stop making broad generalizations about Americans? While I like the songs, I don't think they're appropriate for a wedding, let alone a Royal Wedding.
Actually, could we please stop with the "middle class" and "American" put downs. It is very unkind on such a joyous occasion.

Been to several weddings here in middle America...mostly middle class weddings...no one has had pop or trendy music.

LaRae

Thank you RubyPrincess168.

I am uncomfortable with broad generalizations about what Americans go for as well.

I didn't like this particular wedding much, except for the clothes.

Thank you about the comment about broad generalizations. However, I will make one! All of us americans on this thread are a rare breed to even know there is a srf!

Swedish weddings don't seem to be as stuffy and overly formal as other weddings. I loved this one formal yet joyful not overly somber with emotion and love showing.

Why do we need royal families, if they don't take care of the traditions? The wedding was just as cheesy as I thought. Maybe they like the music but one could expect a little more from a royal wedding. It was just as disappointing as expected.

What traditions ? Did you want Bach, Mozart and Händel for an hour or what ? That's certainly not a tradition.

They look so happy and confident (the german commentators mentioned during the broadcast that he used to be quite shy and she really helped him getting more confidence) so for me the music, tiaras, clothes, guests etcetc are of lesser importance:
they made it, they got married and now they start the rest of their lives together; congratulations to them!

I have to say I did love the music, particularly Joyful Joyful at the end. I am a big Sister Act fan! :D

I've been to some weddings that were very classical and some were like being in a night club. One bride sang to her groom "I"m Not Going" from Dreamgirls as she walked down the aisle! Different strokes for different folks.

Carl and Sofia had a mix of everything for all tastes I thought. Mine will have mostly classical music because that's what I love but I thought the wedding was beautiful and reflected the couple's taste. They're no less married for it.

It seemed to be full of love and joy and faith. If the music translates what they feel, they are on a really wonderful track.

Absolutely!! :clap:

Well, in all fairness you also get the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton when you let commoners into Royal circles. They had one of the most beautiful, dignified and regal wedding ceremonies I've ever seen.

The Carl-Philip/Sofia wedding ceremony wasn't to my personal taste but maybe this couple felt that they needed to make a "statement" with their ceremony?

I don't think it's exactly a statement, but, given that CP was stripped of his birthright to be King of Sweden, I guess he feels he's entitled to have some fun.

Last edited:
It was a lovely wedding, very unique to the couple. Each element must have had meaning to them or they would not have incorporated it. It seems clear that everything they chose was for them and them only.
While some of it was awkward to those of us who enjoy traditional royal wedding ceremonies, whose to say that in the back of their minds, MM & Haakon or Frederik & Mary, or whomever, might not have wanted to add a little "Joyful, Joyful" to their ceremonies as well! Just sayin'.:whistling:

Swedish weddings don't seem to be as stuffy and overly formal as other weddings. I loved this one formal yet joyful not overly somber with emotion and love showing.

People here are most used to british royal weddings. A music program like on William and Kate's wedding is rarely seen is Swedish Church's

It is nice to see all the people who came out for the wedding. That shows that the swedes aren't as upset about her past as the people on forums.

What traditions ? Did you want Bach, Mozart and Händel for an hour or what ? That's certainly not a tradition.

I agree. It's just a matter of taste. I'd love the Handel and Mozart for an hour but that's me.:flowers:

Actually, could we please stop with the "middle class" and "American" put downs. It is very unkind.

I agree. It's a wedding. A very happy wedding. And their wedding, not ours. It's really none of our business what music they chose for their wedding. We should just be happy for them and be thankful to be able to share this happy occasion and enjoy watching the wedding and the procession through Stockholm. I certainly am. Though I really should go to bed.

I agree. It's a wedding. A very happy wedding. And their wedding, not ours. It's really none of our business what music they chose for their wedding. We should just be happy for them and be thankful to be able to share this happy occasion and enjoy watching the wedding and the procession through Stockholm. I certainly am. Though I really should go to bed.

Thank you, Roslyn, that was well put.

I give them credit. They had the wedding they wanted and it was uniquely theirs. I'm sure many royal bridal couples have felt like actors in a production. That was definitely not the case today. Good for them!

I don't think it's exactly a statement, but, given that CP was stripped of his birthright to be King of Sweden, I guess he feels he's entitled to have some fun.

JMHO -- but I think that is exactly what all this is about. The King will never get over CP being stripped of his birthright and he passed along that sentiment to his son.

CP introducing his bride now as "Princess Sofia".

I was so happy that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are big fans of Coldplay and the movie 'Sister Act II.' They made sure they filled the church with a Joyful sound. They took us to church for real.

I didn't know he was stripped of his birthright to be king. :ohmy:

He's introducing her from the balcony! I don't understand one word he's saying but I know it's wonderful and loving about her. I'm so envious!! :D

Oh for pete's sake this was their wedding and they had what they wanted . As did Victoria and Madeleine. If it were a problem none of them would have had what they wanted for their weddings. Some people will never accept Sofia and that is sad.

The King looks radiant with his son's wedding.

I was not keen on the music for the wedding, even though I support everyone's right to choose what they want. It was their wedding and a beautiful one at that. Sofia looked lovely, her dress, hair and make-up, tiara and flowers were all wonderful.

A very sweet moment there. Carl Philip embraced Daniel who had Estelle in his arms and she put her arm around Carl Philip too! Like a little group hug!

Back
Top Bottom