Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Lord, I guess it was true CP and Sofia had chosen the music for the entire wedding without consulting the Royal Court! Not very regal, but an American audience will enjoy it, I suppose

This Northern Irish audience member is enjoying it! It's a joyful day for celebration and that was reflected in the gospel music!

Joyful, Joyful would have sounded better with soaring strings ... rather than in full concert style. The only thing missing was dimming of the lights and lighting of the matches :(

Not me...not a fan of either ....

Why do we need royal families, if they don't take care of the traditions? The wedding was just as cheesy as I thought. Maybe they like the music but one could expect a little more from a royal wedding. It was just as disappointing as expected.

Frida Vesterberg and Waheed Adam
https://media.shootitlive.com/1zX7BUYbcaA3vwOtY7b1p2hj3z0/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
Gustaf and Vicky Magnuson
https://media.shootitlive.com/Lz2RBXkngKLV39m8cRSWWOrcLBj/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
Oscar and Emma Magnuson
https://media.shootitlive.com/YEjT9CoF0a7HbwwDX8irWzvwuq5/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940

Marwan "Marre" Hitti with wife Marcella. Marre did Sofia's hairdo today.
https://media.shootitlive.com/Xy7TsxRkcOLvd3DCD3qgF1EBz7S/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
Patrick and Maline Sommerlath with son Leopold
https://media.shootitlive.com/68ct2M1doD5CbcRkjrpIW03pCgL/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
Dagmar von Arbin, she is 99 years old
https://media.shootitlive.com/ELsfw8yW6EBapx7SpIPX0b5JNVL/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
The Speaker of the Parliament Urban Ahlin with wife
https://media.shootitlive.com/6YRcrIz0gMQ4zLzMeTE8vfli4iU/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
Thomas Sommerlath and Bettina Aussems
https://media.shootitlive.com/1bziGIW3ht5wyOL0SylqwbfvU6O/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940

Victoria with her godson Leopold Sommerlath
https://media.shootitlive.com/4CiLaNhUHLYgts1rhtzFnSErxxz/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how they are all dressed in ball gowns and jewels and the RF all play pass the baby around to keep her happy, just like any other family. And the emotions.

I love all royal weddings but IMO the Swedish do it the best.

That was lovely, wasn't it! :D I do hope Victoria and Daniel have another baby. Daniel clearly loves little children and they were both clucky with their little niece.

Oh Lord, I guess it was true CP and Sofia had chosen the music for the entire wedding without consulting the Royal Court! Not very regal, but an American audience will enjoy it, I suppose

This American did not really like the music. Though they left the church to the same piece my husband and I did, I like our arrangement better. It was a bit jazzier than how Beethoven wrote, but not as gospel as the version played at Sofia and CP's wedding.

I'm one American who didn't enjoy it!:sad:

I've been sneaking peeks at the livestream of the Swedish royal wedding. Very nice, lots of tiaras, sparkles, etc. The bride looks lovely, and there seems to be a lot of emotion. The music (except for the hymns) that I've heard so far leaves a lot to be desired. It's a church service, people! But then, I'm a fussy, old Lutheran/Episcopalian church organist, so I'm a little hard to please in that area.

QM is wearing the red dress she wore for her birthday celebrations and the Baden Palmette tiara. Mary in blue wearing her wedding tiara with the added pearls. Marie in green wearing her wedding tiara also. QM walked as though she was having some pain:sad: Fred looks a little tired, but otherwise OK.

Not this American. I don't like pop music in church, never have and never will. But it's not my wedding so my opinion is not important.:ermm:

Most of the female guests look absolutely divine.

Gospel music is common here in weddings here in Charleston but I'm a little taken aback they used it at a royal wedding and I'm loving it. They even sang a bit of Janet Jackson's "What Have You Done For Me Lately"! If they had one of our gospel choirs they would be dancing in the aisles!! Congratulations to the newlyweds! Well done!:)

This was the Joyful, Joyful version used in Sister Act II, pretty sure it was rearranged for the movie

I found out yesterday that a friend of my husband is in Stockholm at the moment. I am insanely jealous of him. I'm fairly sure he has no interest in the wedding at all but he just happens to be there when it's happening. No fair!

Last edited:
That music is religious music gospel is what it is called.

I don't know if your comment was aimed at me for my comment but if it was, I really didn't mean for it to be a 'disparaging comment' and if it sounded like it was, I wholeheartedly apologise :flowers:

Disappointed because my stream cut out just before the bride made her entrance. Now I have to wait for someone to put it up on You Tube. Just now getting the stream.....Ode to Joy in Gospel style ?!?!? Not very Royal....then again this is what you get when you let commoners into Royal Circles.

It was a wonderful wedding done the way they wanted I hope the rest of the day is just as great for the Prince and Princess.

I must say the music kinda of threw me off. Not a fan of Rhianna for a royal wedding. It all looked nice though. Maybe not the dancing but most everything.

I am in the 'traditional' music camp. I don't care for modern music at weddings.

LaRae (American)

Disappointed because my stream cut out just before the bride made her entrance. Now I have to wait for someone to put it up on You Tube. Just now getting the stream.....Ode to Joy in Gospel style ?!?!? Not very Royal....then again this is what you get when you let commoners into Royal Circles.

You can already watch it back on the official website. All you have to do is manually change the video to the beginning. (instead of live)

Start - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Seen this on the live stream. Sorry I am a traditionalist, I would have liked different recessional music, but it is their choice and could reflect that they are a modern couple.

I suppose it was consistent with Sofia's background. Her choices would fit well a middle-class wedding of a couple of her age especially in America. In the presence of five queens, a king and several HRHs, it felt awkward.

I missed the whole ceremony besides them leaving but they seem so, so happy and in love with eachother. To me, they come across as a well-balanced, equal couple. And she is radiant and beautiful in her dress.

The music might not be for everyone, but I think it's a good thing they go with what they want for their own wedding. It's their day, not ours.

Hahaha i loved the ending. I knew this would be controversial. People are not used to have gospel music at weddings. However gospel music is music for praise and worship more than other forms of music so it is in no way unappropriate.

I cried as much as Mette-Marit when Salem Al Fakir sang his rendition of Coldplay's "Fix you".

I think all the royals enjoyed it they enjoy music and it is happy music not funeral music.

I think all the pop songs from all the Scandinavian weddings seem cheesy but that is their taste. The gospel music was most likely a nod to the Cape Town contingent, plus they liked it. If you are not the heir...things are looser.
Thank you to srf for three tiara weddings in five year!

Well, in all fairness you also get the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton when you let commoners into Royal circles. They had one of the most beautiful, dignified and regal wedding ceremonies I've ever seen.

The Carl-Philip/Sofia wedding ceremony wasn't to my personal taste but maybe this couple felt that they needed to make a "statement" with their ceremony?

I am an American and prefer classical music....not a fan of their recessional choice, but it was their wedding, not mine.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Hahaha i loved the ending. I knew this would be controversial. People are not used to have gospel music at weddings. However gospel music is music for praise and worship more than other forms of music so it is in no way unappropriate.

I cried as much as Mette-Marit when Salem Al Fakir sang his rendition of Coldplay's "Fix you".

You are so right praise and showing joy and this was a joyful event.

It seemed to be full of love and joy and faith. If the music translates what they feel, they are on a really wonderful track.

I suppose it was consistent with Sofia's background. Her choices would fit well a middle-class wedding of a couple of her age especially in America. In the presence of five queens, a king and several HRHs, it felt awkward.

Can we please stop making broad generalizations about Americans? While I like the songs, I don't think they're appropriate for a wedding, let alone a Royal Wedding.

Back
Top Bottom