The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Not sure it's obsession, so much as "Oh NO!! Not AGAIN!?!" I've lost count now how many times Queen Sonja's worn that thing at Weddings, State Dinners, Major Important Events for Fellow Royals outside of Norway....etc over the years.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
. It is not as though the public won't notice her recycling it, not that recycling is an issue, it is just a ' please not again ' moment.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Mary looked stunning in baby blue! We really need a back view at that dress. Not to see Frederik has cycled 300 kilometers during the night :-)

Maxima too.

But Margrethe, you don't wear red to a wedding :-)
Forgive my ignorance, this is the first time I have heard this, why does one not wear red to a wedding?

Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Swedish very respected etiquette expert Magdalena Ribbing was asked at an interview before the wedding, can a female guest wear red at the wedding. Ribbing answered that of course a guest can wear red dress. It doesn't mean anything at all, although there are some myths around that.
And as we have seen, many women have worn red at various royal weddings.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Thank you for your reply. I have no idea what the myths about wearing red to a wedding are, as until reading it on here, I had never heard of this. Thank you for the response.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Forgive my ignorance, this is the first time I have heard this, why does one not wear red to a wedding?

One of the most repeated and most ridiculous myths is that if you wear red to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Nobility

I am not sure where to ask this question so please tell me if I am in the wrong place. It has been almost two months since the lovely wedding and I haven't seen any discussion about Princess Sofia's love song to Prince CP. Did the Princess write the lyrics or did Molly write the song?
Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
One of the most repeated and most ridiculous myths is that if you wear white to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Seriously? Wow, I am getting an education. I was always told one does not wear white to a wedding so as not to outshine or be seen in any way as attempting to take away from the bride.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Seriously? Wow, I am getting an education. I was always told one does not wear white to a wedding so as not to outshine or be seen in any way as attempting to take away from the bride.

Sorry I meant red!!! If you wear red to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM
Courtier

Seriously? I have never heard that before. Now I know.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

You will be amazed at the things you learn around here. I know far more about Denmark and Danish Customs thanks to our wonderful Members of that beautiful Country now, than I ever learned before joining TRF. :)

Quote:
Sorry I meant red!!! If you wear red to a wedding you slept with the groom.

Speaking of learning new things...Really!?! Wow...First I've ever heard of this one. Any idea how that Myth got started?

Old 08-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
You will be amazed at the things you learn around here. I know far more about Denmark and Danish Customs thanks to our wonderful Members of that beautiful Country now, than I ever learned before joining TRF. :)

Speaking of learning new things...Really!?! Wow...First I've ever heard of this one. Any idea how that Myth got started?

I am sure it was proper for the Danish queen to wear red as Prince CP probably slept in her arms a few times (as a baby)with her being his godmother and all. LOL. I had heard about white but not red!!!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
I am sure it was proper for the Danish queen to wear red as Prince CP probably slept in her arms a few times (as a baby)with her being his godmother and all. LOL. I had heard about white but not red!!!!!
Someone also mentioned once that black was out at British weddings (I think Kate wore black and someone complained about it).

Common sense tells you to not wear his favorite dress to the wedding of an old beau, whatever the color.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Someone also mentioned once that black was out at British weddings (I think Kate wore black and someone complained about it).

Common sense tells you to not wear his favorite dress to the wedding of an old beau, whatever the color.
. No black to a wedding is not the done thing as its considered the colour of mourning.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

Quote:
. No black to a wedding is not the done thing as its considered the colour of mourning.

In Sweden theres a saying that a wedding breaks the mourning meaning that if you werent in deep mourning (required to wear black for a year) you could attend a wedding. Someone in deep mourning did not attend a wedding at all. This means that to have someone wear black at a wedding indicated them behaving very disrespectful to their family, basically dancing before their spouse's/child's/parent's/sibling's corpse was cold and put shame on the bridal couple. Think Scarlett O'Hara...

(I do hope I managed to add the picture according to the forum rules this time)

http://150597036.r.cdn77.net/wp-cont.../gonedance.jpg

Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
In Sweden theres a saying that a wedding breaks the mourning meaning that if you werent in deep mourning (required to wear black for a year) you could attend a wedding. Someone in deep mourning did not attend a wedding at all. This means that to have someone wear black at a wedding indicated them behaving very disrespectful to their family, basically dancing before their spouse's/child's/parent's/sibling's corpse was cold and put shame on the bridal couple. Think Scarlett O'Hara...

(I do hope I managed to add the picture according to the forum rules this time)

http://150597036.r.cdn77.net/wp-cont.../gonedance.jpg

In Ireland it is the same, one does not attend weddings whilst in mourning although this has relaxed considerably in recent years.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
that tradition is dying too. i got told that as long as the black outfit doesn't look sad or dull (ie. if you cheer it up with some coloured accessories for example), it's not a problem and you can wear black if you want to. may be a good idea to consult the bride and groom before doing so in any case, but it's no longer as strict as it used to...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
that tradition is dying too. i got told that as long as the black outfit doesn't look sad or dull (ie. if you cheer it up with some coloured accessories for example), it's not a problem and you can wear black if you want to. may be a good idea to consult the bride and groom before doing so in any case, but it's no longer as strict as it used to...

I'd say the tradition is all but dead in modern Sweden - my grandmother attended my brothers wedding just one month after my grandfathers death a few years ago (but left right after the cutting of the cake) and Madeleine's wedding was just a few months after the death of Lilian.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Serene Highness

The myth is ridiculous here in the States the bridesmaids wear red and the guests. Black is also worn for weddings no problem. The only color not worn unless asked by the couple is white.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Prince Carl Philip & Sofia’s Wedding: The Bride, Groom, and Bridesmaids

Sofia's wedding gown was not terrible but I was not impressed with it. I also was not impressed with her tiara and hairstyle. The lace and veil were beautiful however. Nevertheless, this dress was nice but I did not find it memorable.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Prince Carl Philip & Sofia’s Wedding: The Bride, Groom, and Bridesmaids

Sofia's wedding gown was not terrible but I was not impressed with it. I also was not impressed with her tiara and hairstyle. The lace and veil were beautiful however. Nevertheless, this dress was nice but I did not find it memorable.
Given how things have played out I think she hit just the right note. Nice but not impressive or memorable looks to be exactly the profile she would want. She really looked fine. Very well groomed. She was not splashy or out-of-the-box and I think that was perhaps purposeful. She was elegant and circumspect. Perfect.

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, sweden, wedding