The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Courtier

Here is a rough translation of Carl Philips speech. If something is spelled the wrong way or sounds strange, it's probably me, not him :)

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Excellences, ladies and gentlemen, dear family and friends, and last but not least, my dear wife Sofia.

Sometimes you reach a turing point. A choice that defies your whole future, and which touches the core of who you are and who you want to be. It often takes courage. Courage to not chose the easy way because is is the easy one, but courage to stay on the hard way because it's the right way.

Sofia, we never chose the hard way, it chose us. Every time we tried to make another choice, love brought us together again. Every time we tried to stay away from each other my heart became empty. And at last, at last Sofia, we made the right choice - a choice that makes me the happiest man on earth. Sofia, you fill my life with love and joy.

Today we prove that love conquers all.

Everyone who got to know you knows that the only thing that beats your utter beauty is your inner beauty.

My friends, you all know that Sofias strength and courage isn't just about our love. It's bigger than that. When you started Project Playground, it was so much more than a project far away in South Africa. It was hundreds of children and young people who were given a hope of a better future, and the hope af a better world. A world filled with empathy, commitment and love.

You stand up for strong values with passion and courage. The perhaps most important of them all: to be yourself, and stand up for yourself. And that love knows no boundaries, including religion, gender or background.

Sofia, all of us who knows you know that you are a hard working woman with a strong sense of duty and a big loyalty towards your assignments. I know for sure that you will approach your new role with a large sense of responsibility and hard work.

Dad, mum, my dear sisters and brothers in law: I don't have the words to describe how happy I am that you have accepted Sofia with open arms. Your support has meant a lot for both of us, both in better and worse times. I know that I speak for all of us when I say that you have enriched our family, Sofia.

I also want to thank your family, Sofia, who have accepted me with open arms. I have been blessed with another family. A family with a lot of warmth, love and care.

I would also like to thank the swedish people for the support you have given our love. The joy we have met from you has warmed our hearts.

Dear friends, I would like to take you with me on a little trip that started on June 24'th 2014. It's one of the most important trips of my life. I drove 670 kilometers for nine hours, or 32 400 seconds. My goal was the unemployment agency in Mora - and no, I wasn't looking for a new job. I was on my way to meet my future father in law to ask for Sofias hand in marriage. Never before has a trip been so important for me as this one.

My beloved Sofia, today is the start of a new chapter in my life. In your life. In our life. I don't know what awaits us in the future, but I know that your love makes me able to meet any challenge that might come my way. Your common sense, your commitment and your courage inspire me. I'm proud to say that you are my role model.

Sofia, the thought of doing good thing in my life together with you fulfills me. I have much left to learn in life, and much left to do. It's a long journey, and I'm looking forward to making that journey together with you. But I've already learned the most important thing - that love conquers all. Sofia, you are the best. I love you so much.

Dear Friends! Please join me in the most important toast – a toast for a love that conquers all. A toast to my beloved and beautiful wife Sofia.

Link to the speech from SVT: http://www.svt.se/prinsbrollopet/sof...jag-alskar-dig

Link to the speech in swedish: H.K.H. Prins Carl Philips tal vid bröllopet, lördagen den 13 juni 2015 - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Old 06-14-2015, 03:14 PM
Majesty

I agree wyevale.

If "it's over" why does this Board exist with tens of thousand of past and current posters, and more signing up daily?

Why does ANYONE bother to post?

If Royals aren't considered something special still, why is TRF only one of many boards dedicated to them?

But I do agree that they have almost completely lost any mystique they once had.

And that goes for all of them.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

And someday another commoner will be queen (Kate). What difference does it make? There's no such thing as 'royal bloodlines' anyway. How many times have thrones been toppled by war and other machinations and new 'blood' taken over?

It's just a lingering tradition now from days long ago. If a country wants to retain that connection to their history by allowing a family to 'pretend' to rule...that's up to them. Just don't expect people in this day and age to think there's anything superior about the 'royal' families. So all the angst about royals marrying unsuitable spouses etc is just silly. I mean really...we are all equal....and good Lord some of the royals aren't exactly someone you'd want to marry anyway...they all have their own vices and skeletons.

LaRae
Old 06-14-2015, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
She is waving and the people are probably waving to her; we see only one side. She was waving most of the morning. She is enjoying her wedding day. Nothing I'm better than you about it. They all seemed to having a good time. As much as I do love royalty , I have never and would never think of them as better than me. They got lucky and were born into their place; some married into it and again, it's just simple luck. For me they are humans who make mistakes and and live their lives. I love seeing them having a good time, not being cold and acting all stuffy.
Absolutely agree. I have no need or desire that there are people better than me. As you say it is all the luck of the draw. For those who are so against Sophia, I think they need to do more historical reading. There are many, many before Sophia who have joined "royal" families and ended up almost creating dynasties.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do the Prince and Princess work?

Well said Pranter
Old 06-14-2015, 03:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
Ok, thanks for your answer.

I am currently watching the end of the ceremony with "Joyful, joyful". I am definitely unimpressed. It had no class IMHO.
Love for liturgical rite is a good reason for my being a catholic. I can't get used to non-liturgical music being performed in a religiou ceremony.
While I generally very much disliked the music choices for the wedding (or at least the Enya, Coldplay, and Rihanna selections), "Joyful, Joyful" was actually a highlight for me. Gospel music is religious music. It may not be the style of music that most of us are used to worshiping with, but it's a bid odd to me that people seem to be almost offended that gospel music was used in a church. That's what it's for! Some churches fill their services with that kind of music exclusively. (And yes, I do realize that that particular arrangement comes from Sister Act 2, but personally I don't see that as making much of a difference. Gospel music arrangements can be a bit more fluid than other styles of religious music).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Exacty - they know pretty much everyone there - they are Royal wedding veterans and are probably considered friends by many of them. Lots of photos of them interacting with others:

Sophie and the Queens

Sophie and Victoria

During the dinner Edward seemed to be doing a fine job of enteraining is table which included Mette-Marit and Maxima, both people's weddings he has attended and people who he probably considers friends.
I'm sure Edward and Sophie are just fine at the wedding, and I'm pretty sure that's the reason that they're the ones who the British royal family send to the European weddings. As you said, they're royal wedding veterans. They know the drill. The BRF could've shifted to sending some of the younger members of the family to the weddings at this point if they wanted to, but at this point, the Wessexes know everybody. I've certainly seen them warmly greet (or be greeted by) other royals at non-royal events, such as when Prince Daniel went over to say hello to Sophie at one of the events at the London Olympics.

And last night I saw a screenshot on Twitter of Sophie and Ari Behn sitting next to each other at the dinner, and they were both laughing and Ari had his arm across her shoulder (and Märtha Louise and Ari's wedding was yet another one attended by the Wessexes)
Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Here is a rough translation of Carl Philips speech. If something is spelled the wrong way or sounds strange, it's probably me, not him :)

Your Majesties, Your Royal Highnesses, Excellences, ladies and gentlemen, dear family and friends, and last but not least, my dear wife Sofia.

Sometimes you reach a turing point. A choice that defies your whole future, and which touches the core of who you are and who you want to be. It often takes courage. Courage to not chose the easy way because is is the easy one, but courage to stay on the hard way because it's the right way.

Sofia, we never chose the hard way, it chose us. Every time we tried to make another choice, love brought us together again. Every time we tried to stay away from each other my heart became empty. And at last, at last Sofia, we made the right choice - a choice that makes me the happiest man on earth. Sofia, you fill my life with love and joy.

Today we prove that love conquers all. ….
Xenobia, thank you for translating this for us!
I think it's a lovely speech!
Old 06-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Nobility

I wish Carl Philip and Sofia well. It is always a miracle in life when you find your soulmate.
I watched the wedding yesterday and ofcourse it was their day and they made their choices but it made me even more looking forward to the future royal wedding of Prince Henry of Wales. The way the British Royal Family organises a wedding with all the traditional classical music, to me that is how a Royal Wedding should be.
Just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
Absolutely agree. I have no need or desire that there are people better than me. As you say it is all the luck of the draw. For those who are so against Sophia, I think they need to do more historical reading. There are many, many before Sophia who have joined "royal" families and ended up almost creating dynasties.
What is all this worrying about "people better than me"? How about people that you can simply look up to, admire and be proud to have as your representative on the world stage?

Almost every anti-Royal or Republican seems to resent the idea that a Royal might be perceived as better than ME. (God forbid.)

Maybe they are better, and maybe they are not. Who knows and who cares? But what I would not appreciate is the idea that my tax payer money is going to support the lavish lifestyle of someone whose "career" photos I would not want my children or grandparents to see because they are so graphic and whose sense of ethics leaves me with a huge question mark about them.

If that makes me a snobby, closed minded elitist I will wave my banner high.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
I wish Carl Philip and Sofia well. It is always a miracle in life when you find your soulmate.
I watched the wedding yesterday and ofcourse it was their day and they made their choices but it made me even more looking forward to the future royal wedding of Prince Henry of Wales. The way the British Royal Family organises a wedding with all the traditional classical music, to me that is how a Royal Wedding should be.
Just my opinion.
There isn't really a lot of classical music in British royal weddings. It's mostly hymns and patriotic English songs. Recent Spanish and Belgian royal weddings had classical music specially written for a Catholic mass.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
While I generally very much disliked the music choices for the wedding (or at least the Enya, Coldplay, and Rihanna selections), "Joyful, Joyful" was actually a highlight for me. Gospel music is religious music. It may not be the style of music that most of us are used to worshiping with, but it's a bid odd to me that people seem to be almost offended that gospel music was used in a church. That's what it's for! Some churches fill their services with that kind of music exclusively. (And yes, I do realize that that particular arrangement comes from Sister Act 2, but personally I don't see that as making much of a difference. Gospel music arrangements can be a bit more fluid than other styles of religious music).
Yes, gospel is religious music and it is a kind of music I quite like. However, this special arrangement is the kind I don't even stand in catholic liturgies where eveything is ok. Matter of personal taste. I am fully aware it can fill catholic and protestant churches, but I still dislike it.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Serene Highness

For those who have questioned the 'class' of the wedding pair, I think it shows a lack of class to harshly criticize a couple on their wedding day.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
For those who have questioned the 'class' of the wedding pair, I think it shows a lack of class to harshly criticize a couple on their wedding day.
Hear, hear!
There will be plenty of time to critize them in years to come, if you want to. Give them a pass on their wedding day. And if you don't want to do that, please let us who want to share their joy and happiness do so without having to read all the negativity in this thread. Save that for another thread, another day.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Exacty - they know pretty much everyone there - they are Royal wedding veterans and are probably considered friends by many of them. Lots of photos of them interacting with others:

Sophie and the Queens
I'd love to know what Sophie and the Queens are discussing!
Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic...the wedding of Carl Philip and Sofia.

A couple of posts have been deleted as off topic.

Any and all discussion about American politics will be deleted without notice.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Monarchies are dated and anachronistic. They exist through the will of the people. No nation has a monarch in Western Europe that rules. Those that are looking down their noses at a lovely wedding and a lovely bride and groom, better hike back to the 19th Century. All that stuff is over. Four of the queens in attendance are commoners. Everyone seemed to have a good time. They all looked lovely. The bride and groom seem to love each other very much. The groom's mother looked like she was having a swell time from a glimpse in a window. And there are, really, no royals. Just a made up word to rule over others. It is long over.
I completely agree with you, also want to say I agree with everything Lady Nimue said in her post. History and the present has more than shown that these people are no better than the rest of us. I am surprised that such archaic ideas as blue blood vs red blood is alive in 2015. I will not go into much detail but the actions of certain "blue bloods" has done more damage than any commoner could do; Diana, Charles, Edward VIII, Princess Margaret, Henry VIII, George IV, all the antics of the Hanoverians, Louis XV of France etc. Forgive me for seeming to focus on the British misbehavior but ai know much more about them than any other royal family. These people are not better than us simply because they were born. People like Daniel Sophie Wessex, Maxima, Letizia who have succeeded in the real world are more worthy of admiration because they have worked and accomplished things as opposed to someone like Elizabeth II whose only accomplishment is being born....I take that back, she's almost 90 and has nothing embarrasing in her history...that alone is a major accomplishment especially with her countries scum reporters.
I am stunned and downright disgusted with some of the attitudes here and I agree that if you want to believe royalty are better than the rest of us, you need to read a fairy tale.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I like the group photo, but I do agree that the white is a bit much. Particularly for the one of the royal guests and bridesmaids, I would've preferred gilded Palace walls as the background. The second one in particular looks as if it's been taken in a hotel but it's nice to have a photo of Sofia's sisters with Carl Philip's sisters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post

Today we prove that love conquers all. ...
A big thanks for the translation. I thought it was a beautiful speech.

Quote:

Sophie and the Queens

Sophie and Victoria

During the dinner Edward seemed to be doing a fine job of enteraining is table which included Mette-Marit and Maxima, both people's weddings he has attended and people who he probably considers friends.
Those are great photos of Sophie and Edward talking with the European royals. I particularly like the one of Sophie and Margrethe. I've read that Margrethe is friends with Elizabeth II, so it's understandable that she and Sophie get on well (or from what I can see). Margrethe was interviewed on the programme Our Queen (with perfect English). Edward is also a godfather to Prince Nikolai of Denmark.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-14-2015, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The gospel version of Beethoven's music in itself was not so bad, but I think it was a bad choice for the recessional procession. Thankfully, the cameras cut to Sofia and CP and didn't show the rest of the Royal Family and the royal guests leaving the church while the chorus was singing and the congregation was clapping. The younger royals like Frederik and Haakon might have been OK with it, but I wonder if Queen Margrethe or even Mathilde and Edward Wessex felt uncomfortable with it.
I don't know about Queen Margrethe but she looked "merry" and a bit "absent" during the whole ceremony, so I think her facial expression didn't change.... As for Mathilde: I think she didn't care and went along clapping... Sophie looked a bit uncofortable and like she didn't know what to do...
Old 06-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

A few comments about what has been said about monarchies by some posters here.

First, all European monarchies are democracies. The country is governed by politicians who can be thrown out of office every 4 or 5 years just like an American president.

Second, not all royal jewels are state-owned. Dutch and Swedish jewels for example and many British jewels are privately owned and the RF paid for them in the past. The jewels on the other hand that are state-owned are at the disposal of the RF so that they can be used for cerimonial representation of the state on special occasions, which is precisely the role of the royals in a democratic constitutional model.

Third, curtsying is rarely used in Belgium, Sweden or the Netherlands and Even in countries where curtsying is still common, no one really has to do it. It is just a question of manners and respect for the institution the royals represent.

Finally, regarding being succeeded by a half-witt child, I suppose the risk exists as monarchy is based after all on hereditary primogeniture. However, the heir to the throne has his or her entire life to prepare himself or herself to be the monarch and is raísed from birth with that future role in mind. That is far more preparation than politicians normally have !
Old 06-14-2015, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Queen Sonja seemed to enjoy it and started to clap along.

I didn't mind the music that much. His sisters both had a pop song in church too, so maybe it is normal in the Swedish church? The music wouldn't be my choice in a million years, I would stick to Bach from beginning to end probably. But the couple liked it and it was their wedding. In a way it can be appreciated that they didn't pretend to be something they were not and just went for what they liked.

However if it would happen in a Dutch protestant church I would be very surprised. A church is a church, not a concert hall for pop songs.

BTW: which genius left the palace curtains open? I never thought I would see Queen Silvia dancing on Avicii while waving with a napkin over her head. Good for her!

BTW2: what a delightful lady Princess Hisako of Takamado is.

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, sweden, wedding