The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancia View Post
Ok, thanks for your answer.

I am currently watching the end of the ceremony with "Joyful, joyful". I am definitely unimpressed. It had no class IMHO.
Love for liturgical rite is a good reason for my being a catholic. I can't get used to non-liturgical music being performed in a religiou ceremony.
The entrance song, which many people here seem to have enjoyed, is also pop music by Enya. Personally, I disliked the entire music program (except for the hymns), but the press had warned us that CP and Sofia had picked all the music themselves and didn't want any advice from the Royal Court. So, I wasn't surprised,

Old 06-14-2015, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I knew nothing about Princess Takamado till yesterday, but I was impressed by her elegance and charm, and I really love her smiling eyes. She seems quite delightful, and I'm going to make a point of finding out more about her now.
It seems she got in very well with Edward and Sophie yesterday and she even held Sophie's bag as she and Edward danced.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The entrance song, which many people here seem to have enjoyed, is also pop music by Enya. Personally, I disliked the entire music program (except for the hymns), but the press had warned us that CP and Sofia had picked all the music themselves and didn't want any advice from the Royal Court. So, I wasn't surprised,
Seen it too. I like it, but not for a royal wedding. It is a perfect movie music, it doesn't fit for a royal wedding.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

Sofia's sisters both look like their mother. I'm guessing she looks like her father -- I couldn't tell. Anyone else?
Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
??
I very much doubt, that the Wessex couple were the least bit lost...
Having attended so many European weddings and other events, they must know all pretty well. There have been many photos of them interacting warmly with others.
Exacty - they know pretty much everyone there - they are Royal wedding veterans and are probably considered friends by many of them. Lots of photos of them interacting with others:

Sophie and the Queens

Sophie and Victoria

During the dinner Edward seemed to be doing a fine job of enteraining is table which included Mette-Marit and Maxima, both people's weddings he has attended and people who he probably considers friends.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Serene Highness

Personally i felt the music choices were DIRE.. ill fitting the Divine nature of the Sacrament of Marriage.. How different [in musicality] was the Wedding ceremony of HRH the prince of Wales, and the then Lady Diana Spencer, or even the more contemprary wedding of the Duke of Cambridge and Catherine Middleton ! Both were a musical feast of major proportion, with nothing culled from American Comedy Films, or 'Pop' music... The place for those 'tunes' was the reception...
Old 06-14-2015, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Love ;

The cutting of the Wedding Cake (04:33)

The Bridal Dance (05:16)

Start - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

The couple chose the Music they wanted; after all, it is Their Day!!
Old 06-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm going to jump in here and comment about the music choices. Although I do not have sound active on my computer, from reading here, it seems that the choices of music didn't sit well with a lot of people.

A lot of aspects of church ceremony and protocol has changed drastically in the past 60 years (going by how long I've been on this planet). If we flash back to the 50s and 60s, it would be unheard of and even start a few shocked whispers for a woman to enter a church (I'm going by my Catholic upbringing) with a bare head let alone wearing pants. Liturgies in English made their debut in my lifetime and we had the onset of folk masses. In fact, for my music at my wedding in the early 70s, we selected tunes from the Sound of Music and another well known folk song "Today". It reflected us.

To me, this is how it should be. Its a celebration of two people joining their lives and should reflect the joy and happiness they have on this occasion. Going back to ancient times, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise." That's exactly what they did if you ask me.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-14-2015, 01:42 PM
Nobility

I was just looking at another royalty site and they had photos of the after party and it looks like Sophia had a different top or entire dress on later in the evening.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Courtier

thanks to all posters on a most entertaining wedding. i was intrigued by the wedding speeches and wondered whether any Swedish speakers could share what was said?
Old 06-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Exactly. Sorry, she's just a party girl, no princess material. I wish them well, but as Mr & Mrs Bernadotte. As a royal, CP did an abysmal choice and for me I could see it throughout the wedding. They both have no class at all.

I cannot imagine anyone addressing Sofia with 'Your Royal Highness' or 'Princess Sofia' without laughing out loud or asking oneself: seriously?

With representatives like her, it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are, people supposed to be better or role models who come without any substance or basis.
You've stated my feelings to the letter Duke of Marmalade. Every single word.

But it's over, they are married now and if the SRF and the people of Sweden have no opposition to HRH Princess Sofia there is nothing else to do but wish them the best and move on.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

I thought it was a lovely wedding and hopefully CP and Sofia can start to put some of her past behind them now and move on as a married couple and valued part of the ROyal Family (both privately and officially).
I agree about the music, I didn't think it was appropriate for a Church wedding, even though I liked all the music/songs played. I though they would be more suited to a wedding at a different, non-religious,venue and indeed many weddings at stately homes, beaches etc have used similar music. I guess here in the UK i am use to people usually having more religious hymns at church weddings. But that's why every wedding is different and personal.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Exactly. Sorry, she's just a party girl, no princess material. I wish them well, but as Mr & Mrs Bernadotte. As a royal, CP did an abysmal choice and for me I could see it throughout the wedding. They both have no class at all.

I cannot imagine anyone addressing Sofia with 'Your Royal Highness' or 'Princess Sofia' without laughing out loud or asking oneself: seriously?

With representatives like her, it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are, people supposed to be better or role models who come without any substance or basis.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank goodness for Victoria and Daniel (and cute little Estelle).
Old 06-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Latest Royal News, Photos and Weddings: HELLO! US

Hope to pick up my copy of HELLO on Monday or Tuesday!

Didn't get HELLO for 29 April, 2011, as I never watched much of the Wedding.

WEDDING SPEECHES IN ENGLISH

http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt.4.367010ad11497db6cba800054503.html
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/royalfamily/latestnews/latestnews/theweddingbanquet.5.751c664a14d8a76c833230e.html

Old 06-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Majesty

Well, here is a clip of Princess Sofia in the early hours and with her back to the 6.000 mm zoom the photographer appear to have used.
As well as other satellite photos:
HQ pics.
Se videoen fra svensk prinsebryllup: Sofia Hellqvist festede med svigermor - Royale | www.bt.dk

The mood appears to have been merry.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Courtier

I think Sofia will make him very happy. He appears to be a gentle, sensitiveman, easily hurt! He publicly stated that the harsh criticism of Sofia wassimilar to the bullying he himself experienced by the press and media. At leastit will be easier, now he has Sofia by his side.

His family are okay with his decision, herfamily are okay with her decision, I’m sure the Swedish Royal Family will be justfine! Most people have a past they’drather forget, except maybe a lucky few! Even if she has no regrets; it’s all a long time ago!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank goodness for Victoria and Daniel (and cute little Estelle).

Monarchies are dated and anachronistic. They exist through the will of the people. No nation has a monarch in Western Europe that rules. Those that are looking down their noses at a lovely wedding and a lovely bride and groom, better hike back to the 19th Century. All that stuff is over. Four of the queens in attendance are commoners. Everyone seemed to have a good time. They all looked lovely. The bride and groom seem to love each other very much. The groom's mother looked like she was having a swell time from a glimpse in a window. And there are, really, no royals. Just a made up word to rule over others. It is long over.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
thanks to all posters on a most entertaining wedding. i was intrigued by the wedding speeches and wondered whether any Swedish speakers could share what was said?
I can try to translate Carl Philips speech later tonight.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Courtier

I think things really started to change when Princess Margaret married the Photographer, Tony Armstrong-Jones in 1960.
Not a problem for me, excepting he proved to be unfaithful even before the wedding.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowdon-Biography-Anne-Courcy-ebook/dp/B00AJ1ZO5Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1434304780&sr=8-2&keywords=tony+armstrong+jones

But I think ordinary people marrying into Royalty is accepted, even if Queen Victoria would probably not have approved.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Monarchies are dated and anachronistic
That is indeed your [and the Republican view] Countess. How many i wonder tho', would while away so pleasurable an afternoon watching the nuptials of one of Mr Camerons/Obama/Abbott's children ? Who would line the streets, buy the television rights, throw parties or copy the frocks ?

NOBODY Whatsoever !

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, sweden, wedding