Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ida Sjöstedt who made the wedding dress also make a dress to Princess Sofia she could dance in....Ida said that on Swedish television this morning.....So it was 2 diffrent dresses she wore

Ida Sjöstedt who made the wedding dress also make a dress to Princess Sofia she could dance in....Ida said that on Swedish television this morning.....So it was 2 diffrent dresses she wore

Thanks! I thought it might be removable sleeves, but I was wrong. Didn't watch the morning TV :)

the pictures say it all for me

Does it not occur to you, that these are Human Beings ? Releasing tension after a long, FORMAL occasion ? Princess Sofia [in particular] had the usual pressure undertaken by a Bride, but with 'knobs on', meeting a myriad of unfamiliar GRAND personages, in a setting that cannot be anything less than intimidating. Evening parties [after a wedding] are, in my experience, invariably an opportunity for 'letting off steam' after the formality of the ceremony and greeting of guests. Perhaps it is different in Germany ?

I think its fine that members of the RF let their hair down, they are a family celebrating a happy day just like any other family after all. However maybe they should try harder not to be photographed like this, after all if they are just like us (singing long to Madonna and all) why have them? (some might say)

:whistling:
The couple look happy. She looked lovely, but the pictures from the window during the dance (where she is waving to people outside) just leaves a poor impression IMO. It just reeks of "I'm better than you now -whoooo hoooo!!".
Indeed, those Windows pictures show i all, I don't really like Sofia, and those pictures really show the impression that "i'am the best now...", she is in a royal family ans she must act like a member of the swedish royal family....I don't trust her a bit....my opinion....

Indeed, those Windows pictures show i all, I don't really like Sofia, and those pictures really show the impression that "i'am the best now...", she is in a royal family ans she must act like a member of the swedish royal family....I don't trust her a bit....my opinion....

Seriously. Everyone. It was their wedding day.

Not everyone likes Sofia. We all know this. But why not put that aside for one day and actually be nice when it's their wedding? How hard can that be?

I think there is nothing wrong with the window pictures.

Maybe all the excitement of Sofia, Carl Philip and the rest of the family had decreased and now they are now partying. Maybe Sofia wanted to take a look out of the window.

For me yesterday was an absolute happy day for the couple. It had its own signature. The wedding service was traditional with modern impacts.

Hats up for Princess Madeleine. At this late stage of a pregnancy it must have been difficult to get through the day.

Prinsbröllopet | SVT Play

VIDEO: Nearly (10) hours of footage from the WEDDING. [Not sure how long the Link will last for]??

Sofia Hellqvist weds Prince Carl Philip in Sweden royal wedding | Daily Mail Online

Hair / Flowers / Make-up Artist = 10 out of 10!

Princess Sofia, looked wonderful! For someone who was not born Royal, she did amazingly well. It was all very polished and professional. The Dress was just beautiful. My favourite stones are EMERALDS, so that was an added bonus for me!

=======================================================

I was wondering about;

LUXEMBOURG / MONACO / SPAIN representatives?

Thank you for the link.

I noticed Queen Magrethe at 1: 37:32, she was holding herself on the chair.
She has grown old. But she's such a remarkable woman. I'm so not ready for Frederik and Mary.

The wedding was wonderful and the royals and guest really enjoyed themselves.

The royals usually express love, family and friendship at events like this and probably could care less what others think of them and how they personally express themselves. For me, it's disappointing to read some of the impossible imaginations and expectations people have of royalty. Some people have these fantasy images in their heads of a stiff, formal, starchy and prefect royal family and -historically speaking- royalty has never been that way. If that's the royal family one wants, I would suggest one to ready a few children's books and watch some fantasy cartoons. You're not going to get that in real life though.

Very last glittering royal wedding of this generation ! I enjoyed until the Waltz.
It was a beautiful Royal Modern Wedding.

Always glad to see the 4 Haga Princesses. They wore when they were young long black dresses with hermine and lace veil ...

The Wessex were lost between the joyful swedish high Society , lucky there was a Princess of Japan to walk with.

The next ones, Children of Monarchs to marry are Princess Charlotte and Prince Sebastien of Lxembourg.

I totally agree, the whole day was one big disappointment.

To me these weddings were not at all disappointment. Very beautiful bride, with perfect dress, hair, make up and tiara. Handsome groom. Both up to head in love. Wedding seremony and party made just to look them. I myself love when weddings can be seen to be so personal. People crying when seremony was so emotional and beautiful. Everybody stationary seemed to be very much touched and happy, including royal family. I loved the end at church when 500 people were claping their hands with joyfull gospel music. Beautiful and touching speeches later.

Maybe we have been looking at different weddings LadyFinn.

The Wessex were lost between the joyful swedish high Society , lucky there was a Princess of Japan to walk with.
??
I very much doubt, that the Wessex couple were the least bit lost...
Having attended so many European weddings and other events, they must know all pretty well. There have been many photos of them interacting warmly with others.

I have to confess that the whole ceremony was emotional.. Especially when the bride made her entrance. I almost got into tears. To me the musics were absolutely beautiful, more than any other wedding I watched. That said, for once Sofia looked sincere, even her usual camera-seeking look was a little softer...I honestly liked the final gospel musics but that encouragment to clap hands was tacky and totaly uneccessary...
This is what I saw, I cannot comment on the speech at the balcony and the dinner, because I didn't watch it.
A fact that rwally bothered me was that tattoo: for God's sake, she could have hidden it in some way!

Glad she wore a new tiara and not the Cameo. I would have considered it a slap in the face of Victoria.

Very last glittering royal wedding of this generation ! I enjoyed until the Waltz.
It was a beautiful Royal Modern Wedding.

Always glad to see the 4 Haga Princesses. They wore when they were young long black dresses with hermine and lace veil ...

The next ones, Children of Monarchs to marry are Princess Charlotte and Prince Sebastien of Lxembourg.

I guess you mean Princess Alexandra of Luxemburg.

I think its fine that members of the RF let their hair down, they are a family celebrating a happy day just like any other family after all. However maybe they should try harder not to be photographed like this, after all if they are just like us (singing long to Madonna and all) why have them? (some might say)

Exactly. Sorry, she's just a party girl, no princess material. I wish them well, but as Mr & Mrs Bernadotte. As a royal, CP did an abysmal choice and for me I could see it throughout the wedding. They both have no class at all.

I cannot imagine anyone addressing Sofia with 'Your Royal Highness' or 'Princess Sofia' without laughing out loud or asking oneself: seriously?

With representatives like her, it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are, people supposed to be better or role models who come without any substance or basis.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for correcting Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, their only daughter

She is waving and the people are probably waving to her; we see only one side. She was waving most of the morning. She is enjoying her wedding day. Nothing I'm better than you about it. They all seemed to having a good time. As much as I do love royalty , I have never and would never think of them as better than me. They got lucky and were born into their place; some married into it and again, it's just simple luck. For me they are humans who make mistakes and and live their lives. I love seeing them having a good time, not being cold and acting all stuffy.

Last edited:
I've been sneaking peeks at the livestream of the Swedish royal wedding. Very nice, lots of tiaras, sparkles, etc. The bride looks lovely, and there seems to be a lot of emotion. The music (except for the hymns) that I've heard so far leaves a lot to be desired. It's a church service, people! But then, I'm a fussy, old Lutheran/Episcopalian church organist, so I'm a little hard to please in that area.

QM is wearing the red dress she wore for her birthday celebrations and the Baden Palmette tiara. Mary in blue wearing her wedding tiara with the added pearls. Marie in green wearing her wedding tiara also. QM walked as though she was having some pain:sad: Fred looks a little tired, but otherwise OK.

CP Frederik has been in a bicycling race the day before 300 km.

I hate the official photos, The amount of white is awful.

How come Marie and Joachim are not in the large group photo?

I Have The same thought! These pictures are not good.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o The Royals Community

Interesting... I knew that white and black are no-go at weddings but red?!?
Mrs Muhler and I are going to a wedding in a couple of months, are there any other colors that are off? :D
And how about us menfolks? Any don't for us?
MUHLER!!! you make me laugh. Those articles were silly. First of all the old custom was that only sluts wore red shoes [until after the first World War.] You could then see who was out to make the dollar on the side. Then they went to red light in their bedroom windows when everyone was buying red shoes to match an outfit. Never heard about red dresses. I have even attended a holidays wedding when the wedding party wore red velvet.

Black being worn to attend weddings today is perfectly appropriate and many wear. There again there are even black and white weddings.
People even request that dress code on invitations, if they desire.

The person writing the articles just wanted to cause a bit of garbage or the fact that he was able to write about something he knew anything about.

The only true proper custom at any wedding is that the bride is the female to "shine" on that day. It is her day and other females should [of course] look as nice as they can but never try purposely to outshine the bride. That is just a no-no and tacky.

I must begin by saying I have not been one to object to Sofia because of her past career. In many ways an actress is pre-eminently suited to take on the 'role' of a royal: they will not suffer complexes because they are being looked at, jibed at or photographed endlessly. That's a big plus. As an actress Sofia Helqvist may have made more daring choices than Grace Kelly (say) but both had pretty similar racy personal pasts (though, in fact, we don't really know much about Sofia's personal past in the way we do about Grace's). In fact, in that regard, Sofia may be more 'innocent' than Grace ever was in that way. So it goes.

I have always had reservations about Sofia for other reasons (than career choices). Those reservations still stand but that doesn't mean I can't share in her joy on such a special day for her, or wish her well. I do. She won. Well done.

No, the wedding was no disappointment, the Scandinavians can display some serious royal grandeur. But in another debate on this forum a poster wrote "The monarchy is tradition, honor, exemplariness, gestures ...". Then seeing Ms Hellqvist -pardon, Princess Sofia of Sweden- splashed out in bikini, on the internet, in internatonial magazines and being described as "Real Life Soap Star and Bikini Model", that makes my loyal royal heart cringe. I am often slashed on this board for being oldfashioned in my desire that royals should go for the longer term interests of their monarchy and marry "suitable" partners.

I am nonplussed. :sad: I hardly know where to begin. Any sense of history should wash away any notion that royalty has been a bastion of 'honor and exemplariness'. It's only as royalty has ceased to have power (and been dependent on the good graces of the populace) that such notions have taken hold. (Perhaps since the French Revolution?) Basically royals behave themselves to avoid being toppled, but historically they have been the most riotous of the riotous generally. Their misdeeds more-or-less kept carefully hidden from public view in puritanical times.

Anyone, from the man in the street to the lady behind her laptop somewhere in Australia sees that it does not matter at all. You were the personal sports instructor of the Crown Princess? Welcome His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden! You were a bikini model and real life soap actress? Welcome Her Royal Highness Princess Sofia of Sweden! You were an unwed mother with a son from a guy somewhere? Welcome Her Royal Highness Princess Mette-Marit of Norway! You were splashed out on the Spanish TV-screens, day in, day out, reading the news? Welcome Her Majesty The Queen of Spain... suddenly you are no longer a journalist, a sports instructor, a bikini model or a waitress in a bar but a "Royal Highness"....

This clearly offends you. As an American it all seems quite natural. As the saying goes here, 'anyone can be president'. In theory they can. There are no genetic demarcations, except where racism and such still breed ancient hatreds.

People start to see that it is all just theatre and that apparently the standards of what was once seen as "an acceptable choice" have immensely lowered. It is clear that the monarchies, delivering heads-of-states some of the world's most developed and modern countries has become more and more a vaudeville, a real life soap opera avant la lettre.

History would help you here. It has always been a 'soap opera', and worse. The Spanish Royal Family's history rivals that of England. The only difference is that Spain did not have a Shakespeare to enshrine the drama in verse. Standards 'immensely lowered'? I am speechless.

The people you have mentioned have been ambitious, intelligent and survivors of a rough-and-tumble world. They are about as equivalent to a knight who in past centuries was able to slay his way to a dukedom, but was 'just barely' able to make his mark on a written document, and certainly could never have read the document. You fail to distinguish between avenues of achievement. Bloodline seems to be the sole criteria (for you) cum a certain (very recent) code of restricted behavior.

Popularity? Queen Mathilde of the Belgians, her mother a Countess Komorowska, her sister a Marchioness Pallavicini, her another sister a Baroness Janssen and her brother a Count d'Udekem d'Acoz, all firmly rooted in the aristocracy, hits all popularity polls as the most beloved royal in Belgium. So being from a traditonal backgroud is not at all a hindrance. Look at Lady Diana Spencer, a deeply blue-blooded lady dubbed "The People's Princess". I think people somehow deep inside will see a Lady Spencer, a Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz or a Countess de Lannoy as more "suitable material", but tja... we are "democratic" and "politic correct" aren't we? Who claims that a daughter of one of the Grandes, of a Duque there or a Conde there would never be "popular". I bet she could easily outpower the bleak and uninspiring Letizia Ortiz.

This paragraph speaks for itself and is an example of why royalty (in the end) must be done away with in total one day. Even it's vestiges promote this kind of thinking. Not good. That you place Lady Diana Spencer as 'suitable material' because you think she was 'blue-blooded' sadly reveals how tortured this thinking is.

Queen Máxima was the star of the day, in a fantastic dress and sporting great Jewels from the Orange-Nassau collection. Still, every time I see her, I can not suppress a feeling: "Girl, you are no royal... you play, you pretend that you are royal." I have exactly the same feeling with Sophia Hellqvist: "Girl, you are standing next to the wrong dude, you can not stand in the shadow of a Sybilla von Sachsen-Coburg, of a Margaret Connaught, of a Victoria von Baden!" :ermm:

They won a lottery, in a sense, and I can be happy for them. (I myself would never want a royal life, though). The structure of my social/cultural world does not rise or fall on whether a Swedish prince marries an actress or the daughter of an old aristocratic family, thankfully. Better they are marrying who has shown moxie in the world, because that's what it all was about anyway in the past. Daniel Westling is the knight who won glory in a war, except his glory was in the war of financial success. Same for Letizia and Maxima. (I have to disagree about Maxima. I have a suspicion she could have risen to be a CFO on her own steam had she not met the Prince. Letizia, too, is a woman of accomplishment, whose own 'bloodline' can only benefit her royal children).

Last edited:
it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are

REALLY Duke of Marmelade, it is quite baffling why you [who clearly regard the personalities, mores, dress sense and blood lines of the contemporary Royals, with a good deal of contempt] waste your no doubt valuable time 'following' them ? If I disliked a cadre of people as much as you seem to dislike them, I certainly wouldn't bother with them...

It is the song "Father in Heaven" by Enya.:flowers:

I had high hopes for the service when I heard the entrance song. It was quite beautiful.

I think Beethoven is rolling over in his grave regarding the recessional. Alas, I will never be able to listen to Joyful, Joyful in the same manner ever again. :whistling:

Exactly. Sorry, she's just a party girl, no princess material. I wish them well, but as Mr & Mrs Bernadotte. As a royal, CP did an abysmal choice and for me I could see it throughout the wedding. They both have no class at all.

I cannot imagine anyone addressing Sofia with 'Your Royal Highness' or 'Princess Sofia' without laughing out loud or asking oneself: seriously?

With representatives like her, it becomes shockingly obvious how dated monarchies are, people supposed to be better or role models who come without any substance or basis.

Your remark may me wonder. Could royal non-attendences to the wedding be explained by them feeling Sofia is highly unsuitable as a royal?

Back
Top Bottom