Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good grief...did C-P and SH and their guests literally dance until dawn?? Those photos show Sofia still in her tiara, in the Palace window at daybreak looking no worse for wear. She is going to be one exhausted bride on her honeymoon!:eek:

Queen Silvia looked a bit tipsy, LOL!! At least everyone was having a blast.

I think the official wedding photos are quite lovely. They have a "light" look to them, the best Royal wedding photos I've seen in years.

Last edited:
:previous: Sofia may prove to be the 'hostess with the most-ess'. ;) Stockholm may never be the same. :p

I totally agree, the whole day was one big disappointment. According to the press, the queen was singing to a "microphone" some Madonna.

No, the wedding was no disappointment, the Scandinavians can display some serious royal grandeur. But in another debate on this forum a poster wrote "The monarchy is tradition, honor, exemplariness, gestures ...". Then seeing Ms Hellqvist -pardon, Princess Sofia of Sweden- splashed out in bikini, on the internet, in internatonial magazines and being described as "Real Life Soap Star and Bikini Model", that makes my loyal royal heart cringe. I am often slashed on this board for being oldfashioned in my desire that royals should go for the longer term interests of their monarchy and marry "suitable" partners.

Averyone, from the man in the street to the lady behind her laptop somewhere in Australia sees that it does not matter at all. You were the personal sports instructor of the Crown Princess? Welcome His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden! You were a bikini model and real life soap actress? Welcome Her Royal Highness Princess Sofia of Sweden! You were an unwed mother with a son from a guy somewhere? Welcome Her Royal Highness Princess Mette-Marit of Norway! You were splashed out on the Spanish TV-screens, day in, day out, reading the news? Welcome Her Majesty The Queen of Spain... suddenly you are no longer a journalist, a sports instructor, a bikini model or a waitress in a bar but a "Royal Highness"....

People start to see that it is all just theatre and that apparently the standards of what was once seen as "an acceptable choice" have immensely lowered. It is clear that the monarchies, delivering heads-of-states some of the world's most developed and modern countries has become more and more a vaudeville, a real life soap opera avant la lettre.

Popularity? Queen Mathilde of the Belgians, her mother a Countess Komorowska, her sister a Marchioness Pallavicini, her another sister a Baroness Janssen and her brother a Count d'Udekem d'Acoz, all firmly rooted in the aristocracy, hits all popularity polls as the most beloved royal in Belgium. So being from a traditonal backgroud is not at all a hindrance. Look at Lady Diana Spencer, a deeply blue-blooded lady dubbed "The People's Princess". I think people somehow deep inside will see a Lady Spencer, a Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz or a Countess de Lannoy as more "suitable material", but tja... we are "democratic" and "politic correct" aren't we? Who claims that a daughter of one of the Grandes, of a Duque there or a Conde there would never be "popular". I bet she could easily outpower the bleak and uninspiring Letizia Ortiz.

Queen Máxima was the star of the day, in a fantastic dress and sporting great Jewels from the Orange-Nassau collection. Still, every time I see her, I can not suppress a feeling: "Girl, you are no royal... you play, you pretend that you are royal." I have exactly the same feeling with Sophia Hellqvist: "Girl, you are standing next to the wrong dude, you can not stand in the shadow of a Sybilla von Sachsen-Coburg, of a Margaret Connaught, of a Victoria von Baden!"

:ermm:

Last edited:
Duc, believe it or not I share 99.9% of your views here. But I have to face it and so do you...Royalty as we know and understand it has changed and will never be the same. I don't have a problem with commoners per se...but as someone else has pointed out there are commoners...and then there are COMMONERS.

Quite frankly, my ideas about what a Royal is and what Royalty can and should represent are not shared by most others and I have accepted that.

To many, being Royal now simply means being physically attractive, wearing the most stylish clothes and having the cutest babies. And literally anything goes now as far as who is Royal marriage material 'cause all that's important is LOVE.

In other words, a Royal is no different whatsoever from being a TV or film star. The same yardsticks are used to measure both.

So...I simply follow the 2 or 3 families that I still have a modicum of respect(or at least interest in) and just let the other "Royals" and their fans get on with it.

I'm convinced it's just a matter of time before all of the monarchies are abolished anyway and the Royals will become the butchers, the bakers, and the candlestick makers that they are marrying.

You see it now more and more in the comments section of newspapers whenever these "true love conquers all" Royal weddings take place...."Royal my a__!! These people are just like me!"

And indeed, they are now. So...let's just kick back and try to enjoy these last days of kabuki theater while we still have it, shall we?

It is what it is.:cool:

Last edited:
I really liked the flowers. Those soft coloured roses are very beautiful.

The groom seems a very sweet man. All the faces he made to his bride and family were cute to see.

My favourite dressed guests are the 4 sisters of the couple.

And a new tiara, what a surprise! And with lots of possibilities for variation in the future.
I just don't like the middleparted hairdo of Sofia an Victoria, too harsh.

Prinsbröllopet | SVT Play

VIDEO: Nearly (10) hours of footage from the WEDDING. [Not sure how long the Link will last for]??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-ceremony-attended-royal-families-Europe.html

Hair / Flowers / Make-up Artist = 10 out of 10!

Princess Sofia, looked wonderful! For someone who was not born Royal, she did amazingly well. It was all very polished and professional. The Dress was just beautiful. My favourite stones are EMERALDS, so that was an added bonus for me!

=======================================================

I was wondering about;

LUXEMBOURG / MONACO / SPAIN representatives?

Last edited:
No, the wedding was no disappointment, the Scandinavians can display some serious royal grandeur. But in another debate on this forum a poster wrote "The monarchy is tradition, honor, exemplariness, gestures ...". Then seeing Ms Hellqvist -pardon, Princess Sofia of Sweden- splashed out in bikini, on the internet, in internatonial magazines and being described as "Real Life Soap Star and Bikini Model", that makes my loyal royal heart cringe. I am often slashed on this board for being oldfashioned in my desire that royals should go for the longer term interests of their monarchy and marry "suitable" partners.

Averyone, from the man in the street to the lady behind her laptop somewhere in Australia sees that it does not matter at all. You were the personal sports instructor of the Crown Princess? Welcome His Royal Highness Prince Daniel of Sweden! You were a bikini model and real life soap actress? Welcome Her Royal Highness Princess Sofia of Sweden! You were an unwed mother with a son from a guy somewhere? Welcome Her Royal Highness Princess Mette-Marit of Norway! You were splashed out on the Spanish TV-screens, day in, day out, reading the news? Welcome Her Majesty The Queen of Spain... suddenly you are no longer a journalist, a sports instructor, a bikini model or a waitress in a bar but a "Royal Highness"....

People start to see that it is all just theatre and that apparently the standards of what was once seen as "an acceptable choice" have immensely lowered. It is clear that the monarchies, delivering heads-of-states some of the world's most developed and modern countries has become more and more a vaudeville, a real life soap opera avant la lettre.

Popularity? Queen Mathilde of the Belgians, her mother a Countess Komorowska, her sister a Marchioness Pallavicini, her another sister a Baroness Janssen and her brother a Count d'Udekem d'Acoz, all firmly rooted in the aristocracy, hits all popularity polls as the most beloved royal in Belgium. So being from a traditonal backgroud is not at all a hindrance. Look at Lady Diana Spencer, a deeply blue-blooded lady dubbed "The People's Princess". I think people somehow deep inside will see a Lady Spencer, a Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz or a Countess de Lannoy as more "suitable material", but tja... we are "democratic" and "politic correct" aren't we? Who claims that a daughter of one of the Grandes, of a Duque there or a Conde there would never be "popular". I bet she could easily outpower the bleak and uninspiring Letizia Ortiz.

Queen Máxima was the star of the day, in a fantastic dress and sporting great Jewels from the Orange-Nassau collection. Still, every time I see her, I can not suppress a feeling: "Girl, you are no royal... you play, you pretend that you are royal." I have exactly the same feeling with Sophia Hellqvist: "Girl, you are standing next to the wrong dude, you can not stand in the shadow of a Sybilla von Sachsen-Coburg, of a Margaret Connaught, of a Victoria von Baden!"

The royals can marry commoners and that doesn't take the prestige of the monarchy away. Acting classy and dignified has nothing to do with your background. Among others, the weddings of crown princess Victoria and ceo/gym owner Daniel Westling and the prince of Asturias and the news anchor/journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano showed us, that "common" people can have class. Prince Daniel's parents and sister have during the years showed that they are distinguished people with a lot of class and can act as the relatives of a prince.
Carl Philip and Sofia had a wedding they probably had wished, but there was no class during the whole day. We will see what the future brings to them.

Last edited:
The royals can marry commoners and that doesn't take the prestige of the monarchy away. Acting classy and dignified has nothing to do with your background. Among others, the weddings of crown princess Victoria and ceo/gym owner Daniel Westling and the prince of Asturias and the news anchor/journalist Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano showed us, that "common" people can have class. Prince Daniel's parents and sister have during the years showed that they are distinguished people with a lot of class and can act as the relatives of a prince.
Carl Philip and Sofia had a wedding they probably had wished, but there was no class during the whole day. We will see what the future brings to them.

I agree that commoners can definitely have "royal class" (another person that comes to mind is P.Grace of Monaco), some even more than certain "blood royals" (all royal families were at one point commoners themselves, but you know what i mean).
For me this wedding was their personal style and it pretty much was what i had expected it to be ;) but it's clear that they are a perfect match for eachother and for me that's what matters.
Sweden has a very classy heir in CP Victoria (and her family), so my expectations are that they will take on more and more tasks in years to come, and in the future will be a great monarch

A beautiful Wedding, with a couple who will always help and support each other. Will the new Princess have any Ladies in Waiting to help her with Royal Engagements? Also, she will need a Royal wardrobe, and am wondering who the Designers will be?

Are there any detailed descriptions/pictures of the Dress at all?

e.g. Material, etc etc.

Could not see her shoes, so not sure about them?

(quote shortened)

Well, there are nobles without class or charisma and who can be just as unsuited as any commoner or royal for that matter.

IMO it doesn't matter so much what linage you have, is it's what you do with your (new) royal status that matters. It's the whole person that matters.

Elevating someone into royalty is not the biggest problem to me. That is akin to the military: you salute the rank, not the man. But genuine respect, popularity and sometimes veneration that is something you can only earn the hard way and that applies to anyone without exception, be they royals, nobles or commoners.

To sum up:
If you greet a royal you may see someone with a similar background to you. And not be impressed.
If I greet a royal, I may see someone who is an adulterer, or who is lazy or who can't count to twenty without taking off his shoes. And not be impressed.

However, while I firmly believe the monarchies need fresh blood and especially a fresh view on things, I share your concern about royals becoming too ordinary. I quote QMII loosely here: "You should follow your heart, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use your head".
It is IMO absolutely essential that royalty remain something special while at the same time not being aloof. Without mentioning names some modern royals try their very best to be as ordinary as possible and that's a mistake IMO, a more serious mistake than whom they may marry, because they are not and should not be "ordinary".

Biking is popular amongst royals, it seems. Nicholas de Roumanie Medforth-Mills (a.k.a. Prince Nicolae of Romania) is also very active on the bike these days.

Is a little irrelevant to the wedding but Nicolae is Prince Nicolae of Romania and not (A.K.A.):flowers:

Oh my god also Maxima wore Red i think Carl-Philip was very naughty.

I agree the wessex couple is veteran now the royal weddings.

2 things Tarlita. 1) The right one is Sofia? Oh my god. 2) He is expected of her to attend to European weddings? Oh my god again.

This wedding cake i don't like at all. I don't mean the taste they don't send me a piece i mean the shape it was like a spaceship.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are apparently unaware of the fact there once were the Silvia's and Sonja's ,or the Claus's and Henrik's of the spectrum...It all happened before...almost 50 years ago,and thank goodness for that!!...No...you're being awfully snobbish Henri....My five cents!

I decided to place this here, rather than in one of the fashion threads, but this one is new to me!

The Danish tabloid bashes a Norwegian fashion expert for finding QMII's dress inappropriate. Norge sviner dronning Margrethes røde kjole - Royale | www.bt.dk

In the Norwegian paper, Dagbladet, a Marianne Jemtegaard, says that a red dress at a wedding is a big no-no!
It symbolize that you have or have had an affair with the groom...
- Da signaliserer du at du har hatt en aff?re med brudgommen - Kjendis

Interesting... I knew that white and black are no-go at weddings but red?!?
Mrs Muhler and I are going to a wedding in a couple of months, are there any other colors that are off? :D
And how about us menfolks? Any don't for us?

I totally agree, the whole day was one big disappointment. According to the press, the queen was singing to a "microphone" some Madonna.

Maybe she was just sneezing. How should we know or the press?

Yes she did...Ida Sjöstedt said it on morning tv....

For me the wedding was no disappointment. Actually I really liked this wedding! :flowers:
Imo it was a very joyful and happy event. Carl Philip and Sofia looked so happy and in love. It was wonderful to see that.

About the ceremony: it was youthful, modern and romantic. I really loved when the Swedish singer sang "Fix you". Wow. I know many people thought the gospel song in the end of the church service was weird but I actually thought this was special and somehow quite a nice idea. The royals seemed to enjoy themselves. ;)

I really enjoyed watching the wedding. :flowers: I hope they'll stay as happy as they are and don't mind the haters.

Interesting... I knew that white and black are no-go at weddings but red?!?
Mrs Muhler and I are going to a wedding in a couple of months, are there any other colors that are off? :D
And how about us menfolks? Any don't for us?

The swedish etiquette experts said before the wedding that it is total nonsense that a woman can't wear red at the wedding. Of course she can, and it doesn't mean anything if she wears it.

Oh my god also Maxima wore Red i think Carl-Philip was very naughty.

:ROFLMAO:
I didn't know that a red dress had that meaning :) somehow i think Q.Margrethe will have a good laugh about that :lol:

Some people seem to have a huge immagination....

the pictures say it all for me
http://gfx2.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/20964111/485/normal/e49a2ffc7fd59/bildextra.jpg
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/20963945/696/normal/fc53bc4feac61/1200+(16).jpg
thankfully at least some members of the srf didn't show themselves in such embarrassment.

Yep, not very flattering looks this.... this will probably have happened at other royal events too, but there they have made sure the public eye was not able to look in :lol:
These will probably pop up in years to come again and again when people want to make a statement about the decline of royalty

Yep, not very flattering looks this.... this will probably have happened at other royal events too, but there they have made sure the public eye was not able to look in :lol:
These will probably pop up in years to come again and again when people want to make a statement about the decline of royalty

I am sure that we will witness at least one end of a monarchy.

They are wearing the court dresses which have been used since 1988
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, First Lady of the Court, the head of The Queen's Household
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Karolin A. Johansson, Marshal of the Court, the head of the The Crown Princess's household
Also the queen's ladies-in-waiting use the court dresses at the big events.

Sofia had changed her dress, she was at the Palace window early in the morning.
http://media.shootitlive.com/LVLalyadPsmmFgg5bjSZXSOKZYB/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3664
http://media.shootitlive.com/9na6LqnAj7AfJYGiryxLaxhKjqm/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
http://media.shootitlive.com/XBpoQrMoPOrLA5Ow1gnPLKw1WXC/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
http://media.shootitlive.com/EWM7apdrkcB3eZsovlVUl7QyD53/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940
http://media.shootitlive.com/NlPJj4zmly1MeMv5N7uEPutZfVZ/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940

The couple look happy. She looked lovely, but the pictures from the window during the dance (where she is waving to people outside) just leaves a poor impression IMO. It just reeks of "I'm better than you now -whoooo hoooo!!".

The Princess seems an elegant, delightful woman. I really like her.:)

I knew nothing about Princess Takamado till yesterday, but I was impressed by her elegance and charm, and I really love her smiling eyes. She seems quite delightful, and I'm going to make a point of finding out more about her now.

I know that you don't approve of Sofia, but "no class during the whole day"? Did we watch the same wedding? I think it was a great show. We might have different opinions on some of the details, but no class? The whole thing?

Did Sofia wear a second dress during the party?

I thought it looked like she removed the lace sleeves from the dress, but i think it's the same dress. Maybe someone has better photos to compare?

the pictures say it all for me
http://gfx2.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/20964111/485/normal/e49a2ffc7fd59/bildextra.jpg
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/20963945/696/normal/fc53bc4feac61/1200+(16).jpg
thankfully at least some members of the srf didn't show themselves in such embarrassment.

Well, I think it's safe to say that pictures of happy royals acting just as anyone would do at a Swedish wedding is boosting the monarchy here, not making it less popular.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are wearing the court dresses which have been used since 1988
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, First Lady of the Court, the head of The Queen's Household
Karolin A. Johansson, Marshal of the Court, the head of the The Crown Princess's household
Also the queen's ladies-in-waiting use the court dresses at the big events.

I wondered if that was the case. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom