Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist: June 13, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I missed the post-wedding banquet. Is there a link to wedding speeches, waltz and guest arrival ?

I noticed that there and in the chapel as well. Do they have air conditioning in Sweden? I know it's a stupid question but do they?

The average annual temperature in Stockholm is 50 degrees Fahrenheit. The average *high* for June 13 is 67 degrees, with an average low of 51. Needless to say, it's cold for much of the year. I don't think they usually need air conditioning.... It must be all the lights for the camera equipment.

The father of the bride is speaking now... in Swedish, of course! Would be grateful for a translation if anyone here is from Sweden!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember after Vatican ii in the sixties when all of the sudden we had a lot of guitar music in the Catholic Church. It certainly wasn't part of our tradition but they were trying to engage their audience more, I guess.

Hours later - i kept myself away of all media, because i couldn't watch this event live. But i recorded the wedding (the third wedding now, of some use in the future i hope) and i ask for forgiveness, when i comment on dresses and things too late.

Starting with ZDF documentary about CP and Sofia (a model?)...

There's nothing wrong with gospel music per se; however the problem is that it doesn't necessarily translate well into the tradition and liturgy of other churches!
Being educated in Northern European Lutheran church music and tradition I would like to think that I happen to know what I'm talking about :)! And maybe you should consider the possibility that other posters happen to be familiar with the traditions of their churches!

I think that's understandable. I just think it was brilliant to bring a little of American gospel to the congregation, church and viewers. Soulful gospel music can move you and the guest was truly moved by the song, 'Joyful, Joyful.' Other music can't do that for you, IMO. It highlighted that the wedding was a joyful celebration.

Traditions were up held here just some of the music was special for the couple a nice mixture of old and new. There were no disrespectful lyrics.

I think when they were reciting the Lord's Prayer (my Swedish is a little rusty LOL), it seemed to me she didn't join in and was looking around. She wasn't the only one, though. I could be wrong.

Most swedes only go to church at christenings, weddings and funerals and are in general not that familiar with a church service. Also the version of The Lords Prayer was the old one which was replaced about 20 years ago in since then in general use if not the older one being requested.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I actually really loved the gospel song at the end. I am a big fan of traditional music for weddings but I thought the gospel song was a really nice break from tradition, because it had such a feel good vibe to it and it was funny to see important heads of state and other important royals/society figures clapping along to it. :D But then again I do like gospel music so that could have something to do with my opinion. I think it's fine for a church wedding because gospel music is usually religious and sung in churches. The end of the service also felt very much like the final scene of a film for me which I thought was quite fun - I was expecting credits to roll in when the now Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip were walking down the steps!

I'm happy that Princess Estelle was a bridesmaid. She appears to like music as she was dancing to one of the songs during the service and she has also danced to music at previous events. Princess Leonore appears to be a bit of a handful (but services can be extremely long for babies her age and young children, so it's understandable that she would get a bit bored by the end of it) though she seemed to be more well behaved when she was with Prince Daniel.

I thought it was lovely how Prince Carl Philip appeared to be touched by Crown Princess Victoria's speech. I don't understand much Swedish but it seemed like she was saying heartfelt and warming words. Prince Carl Philip and the now Princess Sofia also appear to be extremely happy with one another - I don't think anyone can argue that this isn't a love match.

Aw, that's precious. :wub: I love how delighted they look upon seeing each other.

A more personal touch with songs and poetry have been a somewhat standard in the Church of Sweden the last 30-40 years and gospel isn't that uncommon. Many congregations have gospel choirs and use them both in church service and at concerts.

I don't particularly enjoy pop music in weddings, not because it is not traditional, but because a church wedding is after all a religious ceremony where music should fit into the liturgy and serve liturgical purposes. Catholic and Anglican weddings do that very well, coming from different traditions. I don't know a lot about the (Lutheran) Church of Sweden though.

Not really different traditions at all, as a friend frequently says "only an eighth away". :lol:

A more personal touch with songs and poetry have been a somewhat standard in the Church of Sweden the last 30-40 years and gospel isn't that uncommon. Many congregations have gospel choirs and use them both in church service and at concerts.

Thank you for that information it is good to know.

A very beloved swedish actor Magnus Härenstam has died today, 73 years old. He was a friend of the king and queen, they were at his performance some months ago. Annika Sönnerberg from the court press department told to Expressen that they tell to the king and queen after the dinner.

Wedding cake(s)
https://media.shootitlive.com/LrEXwJCQFdCx9Chco4himiGDgnQ/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/3664

Madeleine and Chris left home.
https://media.shootitlive.com/KRF5HwMTs3SrzkgnNfe898gxakZ/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/1940

The waltz should have started 23.30, they are 30 minutes late now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think when they were reciting the Lord's Prayer (my Swedish is a little rusty LOL), it seemed to me she didn't join in and was looking around. She wasn't the only one, though. I could be wrong.

I was curious about this and just watched the stream again. Sofia, as well as her parents, did say the Our Father. She also didn't seem to me to be looking around, but rather had her head slightly inclined and was looking downward. If you'd like to see it again, just rewind the stream to 10.55:50.

Is it a tiara from Queen Ingrid's mother?

Yes, but it never left Sweden. Princess Margaret of Connaught brought it into Sweden and it is part of the Bernadotte collection since then.

Nice speech by the prince. It's very obvious how much more help he and Victoria got to overcome their handicap than their father did when growing up.

I haven't seen Queen Mathilde among the guests either. Maybe she couldn't attend the banquet.

I notice that Queens from Norway, Denmark, Holland, Belgium are without the husbands! May be because he is not the Crown Prince so its not so important?
I notice Fred looking very tired, but who can blame him with the day of work he had!
DAily Mail has beautiful photos but always this headlines talking bad bout Sofia, they could let it go, she is a princess now! so give her some peace!
She looks stunning! and I like Mary, and Maxima and I can't remember her name now but I like the wife of the Greek prince! Also I thought that Marie's dress the top part remind me Mary's red dress for her night before the wedding, same style.
what is the history about Sofia's tiara?

Nice speech by the prince. It's very obvious how much more help he and Victoria got to overcome their handicap than their father did when growing up.

Very good point I hope a translation of his speech appears somewhere

A different wedding, beautiful bride. Is this wedding bigger than Madeleine's? Don't remember we got to see the speeches and the wedding waltz to Madeleine's?

Watching Swedish SVT1. Love Haakon and Mary's conversations. They truly have fun. Glorious expressions they make :)

Last edited:
Beautiful wedding, beautiful bride. Is this wedding bigger than Madeleine's? Don't remember we got to see the speeches and the wedding waltz to Madeleine's?

Watching Swedish SVT1. Love Haakon and Mary's conversations. They truly have fun. Glorious expressions they make :)

Madeleine wanted to keep the dinner private. There are approximately the same amount of guests than at Madeleine's wedding.

From court's Youtube, highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVVg5YX9DCo

Back
Top Bottom