Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock: Church Wedding - July 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is the dinner broadcasted?

I don't think so, they are talking about dinner preparations but they didn't say that they will broadcast... but hopefully we can have pics very fast

For this one, I'm willing to stay and watch everything. I was enamored of Grace and Rainier, and now I'm enamored of Charlene and Albert. I can't believe this lovely woman is now a bona fide Princess.

CNN is now closing their coverage.

Does anyone know what that lovely song was, the one in St Devote chapel? PA knew the words and was singing too.

Sounds like this one:

Nous te saluons, ô toi Notre Dame,
Marie Vierge Sainte que drape le soleil,
Couronnée d’étoiles, la lune est sous tes pas.
En toi nous est donnée l’aurore du Salut.

Marie, Eve nouvelle et joie de ton Seigneur,
Tu as donné naissance à Jésus le sauveur
Par toi, nous sont ouvertes les portes du jardin,
Guide-nous en chemin, Etoile du matin.

Tu es restée fidèle, mère au pied de la croix,
Soutiens notre espérance et garde notre foi.
Du côté de ton Fils, tu as puisé pour nous
L’Eau et le sang versés qui sauvent du péché.

Quelle fut la joie d’Eve lorsque tu es montée,
plus haut que tous les anges, plus haut que les nuées,
Et quelle est notre joie, douce Vierge Marie,
De contempler en Toi la promesse de vie.

Well my live feed is rolling the credits so they may not show the dinner etc.....

Its a local folk song/hymn in honour of The Virgin Mary.

Thanks, can you tell me the title of the song, in french, maybe I could find it on the internet.

Ok here is my recap:

Charlene- wedding dress very disappointing- very blah-nothing special and gave her no shape at all - but that's Armani's fault not hers. She looked beautiful from the neck up.

Albert- Uniform not a good choice- the black like Rainer wore would have been better and not showed how heavy he is. Looked very waiter/crusise ship. He also looked handsome from the neck up

Caroline - Absolutely stunning- Loved the hat- reminded me of Grace

Stephanie- looked good

Andrea-Pierre - very handsome

Charlotte- beautiful as always- she can pull of anything with her beauty

Parents and brothers of Charlene looked very nice

Royals looked very nice- I'll comment on them on the appropriate thread

Overall the wedding was nice. Not much emotion or love seen in it- but everyone is different I guess. IMO Albert was figity and Charlene looked medicated. Not too many people came out to celebrate- I thought they were expecting 200,000 people? Maybe the expectations before hand were too high.

Highlights of the wedding was Andrea Bocelli singing the Ave Maria

The palace where the wedding took place was stunning and will make for some great pictures. It was a very nice event- but certainly not worth 68 million dollars. Perhaps that is an exaggeration.

I thought I saw an elegant Empress Farah Diba in lime green suit - could be wrong with matching hat and I also thought I saw Sophia Loren and Roger Moore at the wedding mass.Cw's mother was very elegant.Also caught a glimpse of Maria teresa The grand Duchess of Luxembourg

Last edited:
Sounds like this one:

Nous te saluons, ô toi Notre Dame,
Marie Vierge Sainte que drape le soleil,
Couronnée d’étoiles, la lune est sous tes pas.
En toi nous est donnée l’aurore du Salut.

Marie, Eve nouvelle et joie de ton Seigneur,
Tu as donné naissance à Jésus le sauveur
Par toi, nous sont ouvertes les portes du jardin,
Guide-nous en chemin, Etoile du matin.

Tu es restée fidèle, mère au pied de la croix,
Soutiens notre espérance et garde notre foi.
Du côté de ton Fils, tu as puisé pour nous
L’Eau et le sang versés qui sauvent du péché.

Quelle fut la joie d’Eve lorsque tu es montée,
plus haut que tous les anges, plus haut que les nuées,
Et quelle est notre joie, douce Vierge Marie,
De contempler en Toi la promesse de vie.

Thank you. The song is called: Couronnée d'étoiles

I caught a bit this morning now I'm sitting here looking at pics. Everything was so beautiful.

Despite all my expectations,I 've been really fascinated by the whole wedding ceremony.It was something very special and spectacular.

Karl Lagerfeld is talking about the fashion choice, He likes the Armani wedding gown, also he likes Charlotte's and Caroline's choices. He said he didn't like most of the hats that Royal ladies have choosen to wear :~)

He'd say that about Caroline and Charlotte because they are close friends. No surprises there.

I personally find it odd that he consistently wears those horrid little pervy leather gloves. He thinks of himself as above and beyond though. Always has. Craft aside, he's such a creep of a man.

Perhaps it's the whole British stiff upper lip thing?. Anyway, for some it's happy tears, for others it's broad smiles.

For some it is neither. Never saw a sader bride. Never saw less affection between a newly wed couple. The tears in the chapel looked from sadness, not from joy, Prince Albert did not notice and certainly show no affection or comfort. Maybe someone in the family is ill or she had some other bad news?

Ok here is my recap:

Charlene- wedding dress very disappointing- very blah-nothing special and gave her no shape at all - but that's Armani's fault not hers. She looked beautiful from the neck up.

Albert- Uniform not a good choice- the black like Rainer wore would have been better and not showed how heavy he is. Looked very waiter/crusise ship. He also looked handsome from the neck up

Caroline - Absolutely stunning- Loved the hat- reminded me of Grace

Stephanie- looked good

Andrea-Pierre - very handsome

Charlotte- beautiful as always- she can pull of anything with her beauty

Parents and brothers of Charlene looked very nice

Royals looked very nice- I'll comment on them on the appropriate thread

Overall the wedding was nice. Not much emotion or love seen in it- but everyone is different I guess. IMO Albert was figity and Charlene looked medicated. Not too many people came out to celebrate- I thought they were expecting 200,000 people? Maybe the expectations before hand were too high.

Highlights of the wedding was Andrea Bocelli singing the Ave Maria

The palace where the wedding took place was stunning and will make for some great pictures. It was a very nice event- but certainly not worth 68 million dollars. Perhaps that is an exaggeration.

Armani is known for his pared-down creations and this was no exception. I personally loved her dress and I thought Albert looked very nice as well.

More people were located closer to town in the tourist hot-spots. As for the whole medication thing....I thought she looked like she was trying to hold it together. Don't forget she did cry in the church.

You are right though different people see different things.:flowers:

The ceremony was very nice, Charlenne´s dress was nice, but I was waiting something more special.

I hope the ceremony gets uploaded somewhere so it's available to watch. Charlene looked beautiful. Everyone looked lovely and it was so nice to see sunshine, haha.

Countess of Wessex looked lovely, as did Crown Princess Victoria. I love the men in the uniform, though the white uniforms were so bright.

Karl Lagerfeld (Chanel) said it was like in the UK too much awful and ridiculous hats !

I loved her gown..

She looked sad...very stoic look...

no earrings, simple necklace or tiara!

She looked amazing. Very beautiful and classy dress, lovely hairstyle and fabulous hairpiece. It really surprised me with the class it showed. But she looked sad, sad, sad, apart from a few moments. No warmth or intimacy in them touching. One wonders why they got married in the first place?

The coldness between the couple was noticed in online and news comments too.

UGH! Princess Stephanie looked terrible, as usual, and what's with the God awful tattoo???? :bang:

I'll never understand why so many (Grimaldis or otherwise) take that old man as an oracle of fashion wisdom. He looks like an undertaker most of the time or one of those "shady people" Monaco was famous for.

yes i realy wonder why duches kate didnt cry like this ?

She's English, they don't show emotion in public ;)

The wedding was lovely, the dress was gorgeous but I didn't envy them standing out in that heat!

What a lovely ceremony. I loved the glances they gave each other during it.

It was very nice to see the Grimaldi sisters and all their children together and to hear their voices at the readings.

What I really liked is that the Casiraghi kids all could walk in the Palace with their respective partners.

When Charlene started crying in the Sainte Dévote church, I thought she never looked more beautiful.

What I didn't like is that the bridesmaid(s) didn't take better care of Charlene. She was struggling with her bouquet because no one took it from her when the ceremony started and when they went out of the Palace her train looked like a mess.
And when she walked in on her father's arm she looked like she really had to pull the train.

And although the cour d'honneur was a beautiful setting, I would have liked it more in the cathedral I think.

Hope to see the official pictures soon and of the dinner later.

Last edited:
The African singer must have been a surprise to Charlene. She was busy with Albert's ring when the song started. Charlene startled for a moment and than laughed.

Back
Top Bottom