Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock: Church Wedding - July 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't watch the wedding because I wasn't near a television this week-end. However, I have just watched on Youtube the song in Sainte Dévote and I was very badly impressed by the singers. Couronnée d'étoiles is a canticle very often played and sung in french churches and it is a pious one. But while the two women sung, I had the impression to watch something like La Nouvelle Star (the french version of American Idol). Nothing sounded pious, everything sounded like in a tv-show and not a ceremony in a church. It ought to be a prayer to the Virgin Mary and ... well, it was not really like a prayer here.

I am too looking for a video with the communion canticle, À l'image de ton amour. It can be a very beautiful canticle but I was very surprised they chose it as it is a symbol of a liturgical period often criticized. So, if someone had a video, could he please post the link?

Well, with the exception of Charlotte, who seems to have a propensity for the haughty expression, Pierre and Andrea are generally, lax, freely smiling guys. So I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to the seriousness of the ceremony. Perhaps they were just trying to be respectful. I do have to say, having watched a few videos of the ceremony now that Charlene's mom beaming the whole time was the most adorable thing I saw at that event. Everybody else looked glum or hot (which is understandable).

Well, I thought it was very beautiful, sang by a mother and daughter apparently -- who, to me, sounded like angels. I am Buddhist, so I have never heard it before. So even though it wasn't performed 'correctly' according to you, it still touched me deeply. In fact, several of my friends who are also not familiar with it were asking "what's that song?" We researched it, read about it, and learned about its significance. It was one of the most beautiful moments of the wedding for me; the song, the fact that it was performed by a mother and daughter, recognizing some of Princess Charlene's close friends from the Special Olympics there... I can understand why this was an emotional moment for her. I just wish PA was more supportive...

Last edited:
Great to see two pics where Virginia Gallico doesn't wear black ! She has been almost a guardian angel to that family......

As I said in another thread, as a British person I found it mortifying the way the foreign Royals were packed off from William's wedding in the afternoon and had to find their own entertainment that night. It was the worst hospitality I've ever seen at a major Royal event and was downright ignorant behaviour IMO. At least PA laid on entertainment that was on a par with other Royal Weddings and everyone looked to be having a wonderful time.

Yes, this is what startled me about the British wedding, its spareness and lack of regard (apparently) for those who came as guests to celebrate the occasion. There did not appear to be any gratitude to the guests - and what about those busses? To 'save time'? Why? The wedding felt like something that had to be endured - gotten through - with all the boxes checked - but overall I think it sent a poor message.

I still think there were beautiful aspects to the wedding - I will always think fondly of the trees in the Abbey. I do think Kate was a lovely bride. Everything felt amiable - but.....

I do not feel it was a royal wedding - as someone said, it could have taken place in a village church. It was neither regal nor grand - while the Monaco wedding was both. It was respectful of the guests and it felt like a genuine celebration. Prince Albert did well.

Is the beared gentleman sitting in front of Ms Gallico Marco Cadsiraghi? He sure looks like him, and if he is, it certainly was a kind thought of P. Albert to have invited someone of the Casiraghi family to attend the wedding. I was also very pleased to see P. Ernst's boys attending the wedding. It shows respect and dignity from both parts: the Hanover boys towards their stepmother's family and, likewise the good relationship between P. Caroline and her stepsons :flowers:

Yes the bearded man is Marco Casiraghi and Mama Casiraghi was sitting next to him.
You see her in this picture: http://i56.tinypic.com/4hxyz6.jpg

He also read at Prince Rainier's funeral. So I think the Grimaldi's see them still as a part of the family.

What relation is Marco Casiraghi to the young Casiraghis?

Yes, this is what startled me about the British wedding, its spareness and lack of regard (apparently) for those who came as guests to celebrate the occasion. There did not appear to be any gratitude to the guests - and what about those busses? To 'save time'? Why? The wedding felt like something that had to be endured - gotten through - with all the boxes checked - but overall I think it sent a poor message.
I couldn't agree more Tyger (and angela). Personally I thought the British wedding was way too long and boring. I couldn't even watch the whole thing as I was too bored with it. But the Monaco wedding was so lovely to watch. The atmosphere seemed different (more uplifting or smth) and it was more interesting to watch. Also you couldn't beat the beautiful surroundings that the service was held in. That palace courtyard was gorgeous with those marble stairs. What a beautiful setting, it was breathtaking!

did sarah, the wife of prince faisal, wear a tiara at the evening ceremony? Does anyone have any pics of them at the dinner? Why are they being ignored at these events? He is the son and brother of a king, yet joachim and marie get much more attention...
anyone????

Thanks for your comments Tyger and Shanaz. I totally agree with them. I think PW wanted a village church wedding but had to accept Westminster Abbey because of his position. As a result he seemed to do everything he could to make it seem as "homely" as possible at the expense of puting on a real Royal show. The bus thing is still a mystery as PA's wedding was huge but all the Royals arrived by car not hearded onto buses! I think PW endured the ceremonial parts which included hosting foriegn Royals whom he neither knows nor was interested in but at the same time it should have been acknowledged that those people travelled far distances to attend. IMO PA's wedding marked a new chapter for Monaco among the other Royals in the sense that it seemed to be embraced for the fist time in decades as part of the Royal "club". I think his choice of bride played no small part in this and I look forward to seeing them participate in Royal events to come.

Last edited:
Are some of you intentionally forgetting that William's wedding was not a state occasion, and thus the kind of "show" you were expecting wasn't going to happen? Albert is a head of state, his wedding was going to be huge no matter who the bride was. William is the heir of the heir, so his wedding was going to be decidedly scaled back than say, his father's first wedding.

The Brits do things differently than the Monagasque, but considering the rumors and absolute zaniness surrounding this wedding, I'll take William and Catherine's every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Are some of you intentionally forgetting that William's wedding was not a state occasion, and thus the kind of "show" you were expecting wasn't going to happen? Albert is a head of state, his wedding was going to be huge no matter who the bride was. William is the heir of the heir, so his wedding was going to be decidedly scaled back than say, his father's first wedding.

I for one have recognized that it wasn't a state occasion and have mentioned that fact in posts. But what William and Kate did was something else - not even Andrew did what William did and Andrew was even further from the throne at the time of his wedding than William was at his wedding.

This situation regarding the formal guests goes beyond it not being a state occasion. It makes me wonder about the British monarchy's relationship to the larger royal community. Luckily there are the Wessex's - they seem to have the connections and are actively maintaining friendships with European royalty. William will be king one day - it is assumed - yet the message sent was one of disinterest. Curious message to send, seems to me.

The Monaco wedding was a statement and a demonstration of a connection to the larger world. A state occasion, yes, but far more than that, too.

Last edited:
We're getting off the topic which is Albert and Charlene's wedding. These two were invited to the Wills & Kate Wedding, and they attended.

The Monaco wedding was attended - unusually - by four British Royals: The Kents, and the Wessex couple.

Full Stop. End of story.

Back to the thread..........

Sister Morphine, I feel there is a place for "zany" weddings as well as for "normal", "conventional" weddings. The main point about any wedding: the wishes of the couple !! Without them, there is no wedding.

PA & CW's wedding had been conceived as a huge "set piece" of a wedding.
That's why there was that endlessly long preparation, lasting almost a whole year.

And now, there is a (slightly less protracted) aftermath......

Also, given the economic situation in the UK, with high unemployment and high debt and government cuts everywhere, it would have been very inappropriate for the BRF to put on a grand over the top wedding for Prince William. Lavish display of spending would have been seen as close to a "Let them eat cake" statement by the public.

I for one have recognized that it wasn't a state occasion and have mentioned that fact in posts. But what William and Kate did was something else - not even Andrew did what William did and Andrew was even further from the throne at the time of his wedding than William was at his wedding.

This situation regarding the formal guests goes beyond it not being a state occasion. It makes me wonder about the British monarchy's relationship to the larger royal community. Luckily there are the Wessex's - they seem to have the connections and are actively maintaining friendships with European royalty. William will be king one day - it is assumed - yet the message sent was one of disinterest. Curious message to send, seems to me.

The Monaco wedding was a statement and a demonstration of a connection to the larger world. A state occasion, yes, but far more than that, too.

The BRF have their way of doing things and the continental royals have their way of doing things. Its just different ways of doing business. The Queen has only ever attended 2 large royal gatherings on the continent (Julianas silver wedding anniversary and King Baudouins funeral). She is represented at events by various members of her family. All of her children have at one time or another attended an event on the continent on her behalf. This does not seem to harm relations with what are now distant relations on the continent as they seem to come when invited to London for major events, and to pay private visits when they are in town.

Last edited by a moderator:
This practice has been going on so long that I'm surprised to see posters remarking on it, let alone challenging it.

The BRF, along with Monaco, are amongst the longest existing monarchies.
But their ways of doing things have, over the centuries, diverged so much that a comparison between them is useless.

I still think there were beautiful aspects to the wedding - I will always think fondly of the trees in the Abbey. I do think Kate was a lovely bride. Everything felt amiable - but.....

I do not feel it was a royal wedding - as someone said, it could have taken place in a village church. It was neither regal nor grand - while the Monaco wedding was both. It was respectful of the guests and it felt like a genuine celebration. Prince Albert did well.

I'm sorry, but the PRINCELY wedding in Monocco held in a courtyard was more regal a grand than the ROYAL wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Chambridge at Westminster Abbey? The courtyard setting had all the regal and grandness of a 1950's Hollywood film set. The only thing missing was Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers waltzing down the eisle. In no way did it outclass the pomp and pageantry of a true British Royal Wedding...even one scaled back in times of austerity.

As for the guests...they weren't exactly dripping in jewels and tiaras..which is a good thing since they were probably dripping enough in their own sweat sitting in the sun. So I am not sure what you mean by the guests being shown gratitude.

They attended both the civil and the church wedding and the celebrations around it, I've seen them several times
on television, but it's indeed hard to find pics, here's at least one of Elisabeth-Anne and Melanie arriving at the
dinner on July 2nd:

** Pic **

Thanks, iceflower, I was searching for a pic of Melanie, whom I consider a "Winter Beauty". Her skin is flawless, like alabaster & porcelain mixed together, and with the backdrop of her midnight thick black hair makes her seem unreal. All due to her mother, Elisabeth-Anne, whom she resembles to a haunting degree. Lol, as with Charlotte & Caroline, I couldn't tell who was who when they were pictured side-by-side in their youth. :flowers:

I'm still wondering though if she is Charlene's Lady-in-Waiting? As I recall her with Charlene & Albert, but in the background, on several overseas visits during their engagement. And she does fit the classification of a lady-in-waiting, so just curious is all... :)

Whatever the case may be, it is honestly always a delight to see Melanie pictured with her cousins and family, et al. :heart:

Okay, back to the wedding, been searching for that clip of the making of Charlene's tiara; the one she wore to the Gala Ball after the wedding, as it now hands down ranks as my all-time favorite tiara ever! Seriously, this has shocked me because I recall when I first viewed it on the mannequin head the day before the wedding I didn't think much of it. :blush: But then when I actually saw her wearing it, that was another story all together! :clap: :heart1: Here I always thought tiaras were supposed to be a certain way, but this one has blown away all my preconceptions ~ it is modest, humble, unique, and simply exquisite ~ ahhhh, words are useless.... :sun:

Charlene is a lucky lady indeed, because as I *always* knew, Albert is a loving, caring, giving, very generous man, to everyone, not just the ones he loves. This is yet another reason why he has always remained tops on my very short list of favorite princes, Albert ranks #1. :angel: I can't wait to see what else he will give her, especially when she gives birth to their very first child, hopefully soon. :heart:

THANK YOU, ALBERT, FOR PUTTING ON SUCH A LOVELY MEMORABLE WEDDING THAT WILL LIVE FOREVER IN MY MEMORY :flowers: (your generosity speaks volumes; what a joy that both you & my late father share the same name as well) :)

Last edited:
Also, given the economic situation in the UK, with high unemployment and high debt and government cuts everywhere, it would have been very inappropriate for the BRF to put on a grand over the top wedding for Prince William. Lavish display of spending would have been seen as close to a "Let them eat cake" statement by the public.

Totally agree! I'm not a british citizen, but, at this very hard moment, if I were I would feel offended by the RF if they put a grand show for a royal wedding. It would be almost disrespectful.
Besides that, I think that people tend to forget, or want to forget the political implications of things: PA isn't only the Head of State, but also the Head of Government, the Head of everything on the cliff that is Monaco. He has powers in his principalty that no other monarch has on Europe, without having to "answer" very deeply for his acts. The UK, by other side, like Spain or the Netherlands, for instance, are true democratic parliamentary monarchies; where the monarchs have to have their decisons, at least not ethically or morally condamned by the public opinion, the political opposition, etc. Are there political parties in Monaco?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish this thread, as well as all other threads in this section entitled Wedding of HSH Prince Albert II and Miss Charlene Wittstock, 1-2 July 2011 truly dealt with just these two individuals involved, and their guests and families, and did *not* bring in other royal families, marriages, et al, for comparisons sake.

This is the root of the problem in this section imho. I know I myself, as a long-time fan of the Grimaldi Family, only post in the part of the forum devoted to them (and occasionally in other forums like the Fashion Forum, Jewelry Forum, the death of HI&RH Archduke Otto of Habsburg, couple of times in the Swedish Royal Family/Belgium Royal Family/Luxembourg Royal Family). That's it. Finito. It's all about respect, not going into a forum and disrupting & disrespecting the members there, not to mention the subjects as well, especially when that part of the forum is specifically devoted to such a joyous event as a wedding, and therefore those two individuals involved, as well as their families and guests.

There's more than enough leeway of comparisons, gossip, rumour, bad feelings going on in the other sections of the Grimaldi Forum, therefore I'm just disappointed that this section specifically devoted to the wedding of Albert & Charlene has been disrupted. :(

And to get back on topic, Thank You, Albert & Charlene, once again, for putting on such a lovely wedding and sharing it with the world. :heart1:

Not being alive to share in the joy of your parents' wedding, Albert, this is the very first time I've ever had the pleasure of being alive & sharing in the joy of a Grimaldi Wedding via the 'net. I am truly humbled. Thank you.

My gift to you two very special people: :hug:

"My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods...time will change it...as winter changes the trees. My love for Heathcliff...is like eternal rocks beneath...a source of little physical delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff."

Last edited:
Did attend the wedding any member from Greek Royal Family?

No, Salma, no one of the greeks were there.

I dont know what is with this idea that William's wedding wasn't grand enough. I think it was very grand and much more of a respectful feel than CnA's; some of the guest seemed to just be dressing for yet another Sunday at a boring church service.

Xenia, I agree with you - but then I would ! I know Rowan Williams (the Archbishop of Canterbury) and the two religious sisters personally. That made it special to me, but probably nobody else.
Compared to the Monaco "bash", I felt on familiar territory.
But it's "horses for courses"....

I dont know what is with this idea that William's wedding wasn't grand enough. I think it was very grand and much more of a respectful feel than CnA's; some of the guest seemed to just be dressing for yet another Sunday at a boring church service.

Any event that was as hyped as much as W & K's wedding, is bound to bring disappointment to some fans.

There wasn't nearly as much anticipation with A & C's wedding until the week before, therefore it turned out to be much more than I, and many others, had expected.

The W & K wedding wasn't hyped as such. Everyone knew when and where the ceremony was. But people get over-excited as regards the details - just think how many times we all vied with one another over a precious bit of info to share around !
Not to mention the clothes, bridemaids etc.

LOL...I remember the frenzy on this forum; such a palaver! It was fun though, wasn't it.

Back
Top Bottom