Prince Albert II of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock: Church Wedding - July 2, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looked amazing. Very beautiful and classy dress, lovely hairstyle and fabulous hairpiece. It really surprised me with the class it showed. But she looked sad, sad, sad, apart from a few moments. No warmth or intimacy in them touching. One wonders why they got married in the first place?

The coldness between the couple was noticed in online and news comments too.
I came to say exatly the same, word by word. But, now they are married, so let's hope they'll have a nice married life.

If anything, I think it would be more probable to be the other way around...

Albert is a sensative Pisces..notice how very soft spoken and low keyed he is?

I believe she is a Aquarian..on the surface, unemotional.

I don't know about their horoscopes but I think that what you wrote summed up their personalities quite well. There is nothing wrong with thinking that one should hold it together for some occasions.

I hope we get a family if all the Grimaldi's and their kids a nice family portrait

Well, Lagerfeld, whatever else he may be, is/was darned good at the drawing board.

It was a strange set of plus and minuses. On the plus side...... was a bride ever more beautifully or stunningly turned out. She was quite simply perfection. Nothing could be faulted, and in my humble opinion from the "turned out" point of view, she put Kate Middleton in the shade.

On the opposite side of the coin.... Kate Middleton beamed with utter joy and happiness from the moment she entered the Abbey and as for Victoria and Daniel of Sweden...... will anything beat the display of their overwhelming love and devotion to each other during their wedding ceremony.

For a girl who appeared as a stunningly beautiful bride today...........I have never seen such sadness or such a subdued affect in someone on what is supposed to be the happiest day of her life. Likewise.. Albert did not look totally relaxed either and although he did wink at her occasionally, and smile a little....... the undercurrent of tension and worry for want of a better word came through.

I really do hope it was all down the the enormity of the occasion, with millions watching and perhaps nerves showing, but there was a definite lack of spark ... there was no radiance I suppose.. thats the best word to use... she was beautiful, but there was no radiance of joy at all. Time will tell how this story unfolds.

A lovely wedding! Charlene was an absolutely stunning bride -the lovely vail and hairdo and the flawless face! - and Albert looked very good too. There was a lot of tender moments between them and emotions were visible on the faces of them both.
The little girls in Monegasque national costumes were so cute! I only missed some maid of honour, who would have taken care for her train better.

Every TV-channel seems to have cut out Charlene´s crying in St. Devote. I missed it on TV so please are there any video-clips where I can find it quite fast?

Thank you for enabling such beautiful coverage of the wedding. It was so filled with emotions (sadness, joy, inadequacy, surprise, giving, detachment) and the timing of the photos picked them all up. Again, thank you for providing this lovely service.

Every TV-channel seems to have cut out Charlene´s crying in St. Devote. I missed it on TV so please are there any video-clips where I can find it quite fast?

I saw it on CNN international live.

http://www.presse.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/1909!/x3Fr?OpenDocument&3Fr

This link is replaying the wedding. Maybe you will see it here.

The link is currently not showing the wedding but if you find the clip of her at the church....she is listening to the women and the girl sing.

Last edited:

Well, it was Charlene who cried. So you can't really call her unemotional.

I must say I am not fond of Albert or his sisters (who are both aquarians and couldn't be more different). But Charlene is growing on me. I thought she was more emotional than Kate or Letizia (to compare this wedding with another catholic wedding).

What a lovely ceremony. I loved the glances they gave each other during it.

It was very nice to see the Grimaldi sisters and all their children together and to hear their voices at the readings.

What I really liked is that the Casiraghi kids all could walk in the Palace with their respective partners.

When Charlene started crying in the Sainte Dévote church, I thought she never looked more beautiful.

What I didn't like is that the bridesmaid(s) didn't take better care of Charlene. She was struggling with her bouquet because no one took it from her when the ceremony started and when they went out of the Palace her train looked like a mess.
And when she walked in on her father's arm she looked like she really had to pull the train.

And although the cour d'honneur was a beautiful setting, I would have liked it more in the cathedral I think.

Hope to see the official pictures soon and of the dinner later.

You almost wrote all my impressions of the wedding. I really liked this wedding and I don't know why so many people are saying the couple looked sad or didn't show any emotion. When Rainier died, in the funeral, Caroline and Stephanie cried a lot, and Albert stayed serious and composed. It's his way of behaving in public, calm and reserved. And they smiled and talked to each other much, much more than William and Kate. I don't remember Kate smiling during the service of this wedding. I don't want to compare this wedding with the British one, but I think a lot of people are doing this since the two weddings occured with just two months apart.
I think Charlene is one of most beautiful princess of all time and she was almost perfect. A missed a pair of earrings and didn't like the make up (too much pink for me), but overall she was stunning. And the pricely family of Monaco is so beautiful! The young generation was perfect! Albert's nephews are so gorgeous! And his nieces are adorable! It was so nice to see Alexandra and Pauline interacting with each other, as well of seeing them and Charlotte and Pauline during the readings.
And all the music played were very beautiful, specially "Ave Maria" sung by Andrea Bocelli.

It was the haunting music that got Charlene in the end.
First there were the bagpipes (cornemuse in French) which sounded quite sad.
Then there was a song sung by two girls, and that's the thing that got CW going.
I think it might have been a hymn about Sainte Dévote.

I like this shot. I think Princess Charlene looks beautiful.

http://i53.tinypic.com/288bkgk.jpg

This is a lovely shot, :wub: wish it was without the watermark. I've finallly seen the diamonds in her hair. I think it's a necklace and it's beautifully done, just wished she had a tiny pair of pearls or little diamond studs. Overall this was a very chic almost casual wedding. You would think they were just wealthy people throwing a big wedding and not a Royal wedding. Like this one much better than the last one we just had.

This is a lovely shot, :wub: wish it was without the watermark. I've finallly seen the diamonds in her hair. I think it's a necklace and it's beautifully done, just wished she had a tiny pair of pearls or little diamond studs. Overall this was a very chic almost casual wedding. You would think they were just wealthy people throwing a big wedding and not a Royal wedding. Like this one much better than the last one we just had.

Agree with almost everything except I think that a pair of earrings would have contrasted too much with the diamonds in her hair. They wrapped all the way around her head and rested behind her ears so it might have been too busy.

Well my two cents about this wedding. Well not bad, not bad at all but, and this is my very own opinion, there's always something cheap with Monaco in general. Its difficult to define but there was no "serene grandeur" like the other royal weddings, something saying "woah that's royal". I know Monaco is a micro principality but as i said it's a very personnal feeling.
About feelings i can't blame the couple to be somewhat, well cold, at least not overjoyed. It's perfecly known, at least in some circles, that's this union is not a lovematch but a "business partnership", without doubt with a lot of friendship, affection and respect. It's their choice and we must respect that. They will maintain some high level of glittering stuff in Monaco, that's their job and royal watchers will be delighted, but don't expect tons of love from this couple.

Last edited:
Well my two cents about this wedding. Well not bad, not bad at all but, and this is my very own opinion, there's always something cheap with Monaco in general. Its difficult to define but there was no "serene grandeur" like the other royal weddings, something saying "woah that's royal". I know Monaco is a micro principality but as i said it's a very personnal feeling.
About feelings i can't blame the couple to be somewhat, well cold, at least not overjoyed. It's perfecly known, at least in some circles, that's this union is not a lovematch but a "business partnership", without doubt with a lot of friendship, affection and respect. It's their choice and we must respect that. They will maintain some high level of glittering stuff in Monaco, that's their job and royal watchers will be delighted, but don't expect tons of love from this couple.

Dont´t think Albert needs any business partnership. He was single till 53 and nothing happened, so he could easily stay single until the end of his days. His young and attractive nephew would replace him one day and would deliver amount of glitter and young family and children undoubtedly. So there was no pressure on Albert actually. When he got married, that´s because he personally wanted. And why would he marry for business when he can choose by heart?

Just noticed that Roger Moore's wife was wearing the same dress Letizia wore to Will and Kate's wedding!!!

Loved the ceremony - thought the setting was absolutely gorgeous. Charlene looked wonderful - even more beautiful in the photos! I was surprised by the lack of warmth and interaction between them during the ceremony, but I think Charlene was trying to keep her emotions in check. From the few glimpses we got I think that in private they are a very different couple.

I felt a bit sorry for Albert as it seemed the priest was giving some digs about the past events in his life - he was certainly stressing the point of fidelity!!!

Loved this wedding! Can't wait to see the tiaras tonight, not so much fromt he famous royals, but from the ones we barely see like:
Sophie Of Isenburg
Duchess of Braganca
Coutness of Paris
Grand Duchess Maria of Russia and many more.

Loved this wedding! Can't wait to see the tiaras tonight, not so much fromt he famous royals, but from the ones we barely see like:
Sophie Of Isenburg
Duchess of Braganca
Coutness of Paris
Grand Duchess Maria of Russia and many more.
I agree:flowers:. We see the top royals regularly with their tiaras. But the lesser known piece are really exciting me!
I also wonder if Charlene will wear her new ocean tiara, or will she still wear the floral hair piece? Let's hope that we will see pictures of the arriving guests. It seems that they cut off the live stream:sad:.

Does anyone have the pictures of the german and Liechtenstein Royals ??

What you have mentioned however are extremely important things, things which often are missing in many so-called lovematches. Friendship, affection, and respect are too frequently missing in marriages, it also makes for some very, very successful ones.... IMO.

It was the haunting music that got Charlene in the end.
First there were the bagpipes (cornemuse in French) which sounded quite sad.
Then there was a song sung by two girls, and that's the thing that got CW going.
I think it might have been a hymn about Sainte Dévote.

It is Couronnée d'étoiles - Nous te saluons (thanks to Lili4ka )
http://youtu.be/UEmQh77K0Rs

Last edited:
Where can we see a footage or a broadcast of the gala? I need to see some sparkle! :)

Back
Top Bottom