News about the Wedding of Prince and Princess of Asturias

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA is the organization which is the bane of the Spanish authorities and to an extent the French ones as well.

And no offence to Felipe and Letizia or the Spanish royal family, but I don't think Queen Elizabeth has a special enough relationship with the Spanish royal family to warrant attending Felipe and Letizia's wedding, even if one day they will be the King and Queen of Spain.

Especially since the King and Queen of Spain didn't attend Prince Charles's wedding (on account of the use of the Britannia at Gibraltar during the honeymoon).

I'm not sure why the Queen doesn't attend weddings and funerals abroad, since other European monarchs show up to such events in the UK, but that's probably a topic for another thread.

Could someone post which websites will be showing Felipe and Letizia's wedding live on the internet? I don't have a television so I would like to watch the wedding live on the internet. I e-mailed CNN plus, but they never responded.

I watched a little bit of a program tonight called "Boda Real". It was quite good. They had a lot about the wedding. They talked to the director of the show and they took a tour of the cathedral. They also showed these people making this beautiful tapestry. They talked to this tailor too. He was quite a character. Anyway, they showed the palace and that was beautiful especially the gardens and the long pathways. They had several clips from today. They showed the couple at the meeting with the president of the city of Madrid. They showed Felipe making the toast. He has a very good speaking voice. Quite distinguish. And they showed Letizia. She was lovely. I loved her hair as it was today. Adorable. They also showed them walking outside of some buildings. Then they showed them at the bullfights. That was great. I loved it when they showed Letizia talking to Felipe. Anyway, then they showed one of the bullfighters giving his cap to Felipe. But watch Letizia during this. She had the most darling expressions. Felipe is a lucky man. Anyway, that was about all I saw. They had a couple of live reporters. One was at the royal palace in Madrid. A neat program. I wish I had seen more of it. I can not wait to see the wedding. I already have the Danish wedding lined up from a friend of mine in Norway. The whole wedding and then on Saturday they will show highlights of it. It is a good time to be a royal watcher!

in the swedish court calander it states that the whole swedish royal family will be in Madrid from friday to Saturday.

Originally posted by Bubbette@May 12th, 2004 - 10:10 pm
It will be broadcast in the US on Univision at 5am dst.
What is dst? And when exactly is the wedding? If I missed the Danish one, I am not missing this one.

What is dst?

I'm not sure, but i belive that has something to do with the time :p

And when exactly is the wedding?

The wedding will tke place on May 22 (saturday), at Santa Maria Real de La Almudena Cathedral of Madrid (11:00 am Central European Time) :flower:

Originally posted by Princepessa+May 14th, 2004 - 5:08 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Princepessa @ May 14th, 2004 - 5:08 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette@May 12th, 2004 - 10:10 pm
What is dst? And when exactly is the wedding? If I missed the Danish one, I am not missing this one. [/b][/quote]
DST- Daylight Saving Time.

So if you live in New York (or any state that shares the same time zone with New York) the wedding will be on at 5 am.

Originally posted by Lyonnaise+May 14th, 2004 - 6:47 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lyonnaise @ May 14th, 2004 - 6:47 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Princepessa@May 14th, 2004 - 5:08 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette
@May 12th, 2004 - 10:10 pm

What is dst? And when exactly is the wedding? If I missed the Danish one, I am not missing this one.

So if you live in New York (or any state that shares the same time zone with New York) the wedding will be on at 5 am. [/b][/quote]
is that 5 a.m. in the morning??..how many hours is spain ahead from people who share the same time zone with New york?

Originally posted by Sushigurl23+May 14th, 2004 - 8:13 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sushigurl23 @ May 14th, 2004 - 8:13 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Lyonnaise@May 14th, 2004 - 6:47 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette

So if you live in New York (or any state that shares the same time zone with New York) the wedding will be on at 5 am.
is that 5 a.m. in the morning??..how many hours is spain ahead from people who share the same time zone with New york? [/b][/quote]
Yes, five in the MORNING. (Go to bed very early on Friday :) ) Spain is 6 hours ahead of New York.

Will there be a live internet boardcast like the danish wedding? Is there anymore update on the Spainish wedding?

Originally posted by Bubbette@May 12th, 2004 - 10:10 pm
Also if you get TVEI on your digital systems, there will be plenty of coverage as well. 7 hours on Saturday. Also on Friday, there will be a show about the wedding.

Originally posted by Alexandria@May 11th, 2004 - 8:30 am

Will the couple travel in horse carriage like danish wedding? Btw is there any state carriage for the spainish, like the british? ;)

The Spanish do use carriages but very limited. Both Elena and Cristina rode in carriages with their new husbands after the church service. Cristina rode hers to another church where she placed her bouquet on the altar. Not sure if Elena did. I am not sure what the protocol is for a Crown Princely wedding. Perhaps Felipe and Letizia will ride away in a carriage as Felipe's sisters did, but with the increased security measures and threats of an attack by the Spanish equivalent of the IRA (bad memory this morning, can't remember their names either!), an open carriage may not provide as much security for Felipe and Letizia.
more details... :p

they will use a rolls royce phantom (the same model cristina had in her wedding) and they will go to the church of atocha to place the bouquet. this all is for security reasons, mainly because of eta, who wanted to attempt in this event.

Originally posted by Elspeth@May 12th, 2004 - 2:29 pm
And no offence to Felipe and Letizia or the Spanish royal family, but I don't think Queen Elizabeth has a special enough relationship with the Spanish royal family to warrant attending Felipe and Letizia's wedding, even if one day they will be the King and Queen of Spain.

Especially since the King and Queen of Spain didn't attend Prince Charles's wedding (on account of the use of the Britannia at Gibraltar during the honeymoon).

I'm not sure why the Queen doesn't attend weddings and funerals abroad, since other European monarchs show up to such events in the UK, but that's probably a topic for another thread.
HM Queen Elizabeth II of Great-Britain doesn't attend weddings or funerals abroad. There are two exceptions: in 1962, HM the Queen and HRH Prince Philipp Duke of Edinburgh attended the Silver Wedding anniversary of HM Queen Juliana I of the Netherlands and HRH Prince Bernhard (this event was also attended by many Monarchs, including TIM Sha Mohammed I and Empress Farah Diba of Iran); in 1993 both the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh attended the funeral of HM King Baudouin I of the Belgians.

It's quite comprehensible why HM Queen Elizabeth II don't go to this kind of events. HM King Juan Carlos said he understant HM the Queen only attend important events, and she will be in Madrid next Saturday, due to the confirmation HM the King received from the Buckingham Palace.

HM the Queen traveled so much around the world paying official visits - the Queen and his husband had visited in 52 years of reign almost all the countries and all the Commonwealth territories, and they had received in London and Windsor hundreds of Heads of State during these years, guests like their royal cousins from Europe or dictators like Presidente Ceaucescu of Romania and his 'dangerous' wife, Elena -, so during these events (weddings or marriages) she send her family (TRH Prince Philipp, Prince Charles, Prince Edward and the Countess of Wessex or the Dukes of Gloucester) to represent her.
I think she would prefer to join her cousins in happy occasions like weddings, than staying long days paying official visits to countries any other Monarch in the world had stayed (for example HM the Queen and HRH Prince Philipp paid ones an official visit to HM Queen Salote I of Tonga). I think the European monarchs understand she never attend weddings or funerals.

But it will be great to see HM the Queen in Madrid...

But if we see, the Kings of Jordan and Morocco never attended weddings or funerals (exceptions: 1. HM King Hussein I of Jordan and HRH Princess Muna attended in 1964 the wedding of HM King Konstantinos II of the Hellenes to HRH Princess Anne Marie of Denmark - this wedding was also attended by TM King Bhumibol Adulhadej and Queen Sirikit of Thailand; 2. HM King Hussein I attended in 1989 the funeral of HIM Emperor Hirohito of Japan; 3. TM King Hussein I and Queen Noor attended in 1995 the wedding of HRH Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in London - I think HM was Prince Pavlos's godfather;).

HM King Abdullah II of Jordan only attended the funeral of HM King Hassan I of Morocco in 1999.
I read TM King Abdullah II of Jordan and King Mohammed VI of Morocco will be in Madrid - it's comprehensible... Both Muslins Monarchs are closely related to the Spanish King and Morocco has many ties with Spain - it will be the first time a Moroccan King attended a royal event abroad.

We hope these three monarchs attended Madrid's wedding next Saturday. It also would be great if TIM Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan travelled to Madrid to attend the wedding...

One more thing: HM King Juan Carlos I of Spain don't attend weddings abroad - he sent HM Queen Sofia and HRH Crown Prince Felipe sometimes also with TRH Infantas Elena and Cristina with their husbands. (Exceptions: Wedding of HRH Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in London in 1995, Queen Sofia's nephew; wedding of HRH Princess Alexia of Greece in London in 1999, Queen Sofia's niece; weddinf of HRH Duchess Fleur of Württemberg in Altshausen in 2003, his goddaughter).
HM the King only attend funerals abroad. As I know he attended the funerals of:
HM King Umberto II of Italy in Hautecombe in 1983;
HIM Emperor Hirohito of Japan in Tokyo in 1990;
HM King Olav V of Norway in Oslo in 1991,
HM King Baudouin I of the Belgians in Brussels in 1993;
HM King Hussein I of Jordan in Aman in 1999;
HRH Prince Henri of France (count of Paris) in Dreux in 1999;
HM King Hassan I of Morocco in Rabat in 1999;
HM Queen-mother Ioanna of the Bulgarians in Estoril in 2000;
HM Queen Maria-José of Italy in Hautecombe in 2001;
HM Queen-mother Elizabeth of Great-Britain in London in 2002;
HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands in Delft in 2002;
HM Queen Juliana I of the Netherlands in Delft in 2004.

An exception: in 2000 HM the King was not present in the funeral of HM Queen-mother Ingrid of Denmark in Copenhagen. He sent HM the Queen and HRH Infanta Elena, duchess of Lugo.

HM the King also attended the 60th anniversary of TM King Harald V and Queen Sonja of Norway, the 60th anniversary of HM Queen Beatrix I of the Netherlands, the Golden Wedding anniversary of HM Queen Elizabeth II of Great-Britain and Prince Phlipp and the Golden Jubilee of HM the Queen and the Silver Wedding anniversary of HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and HRH Prince Henrik. He didn't attended the Silver Wedding anniversary of TM King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden - he sent HRH Prince Felipe.

Diluting Europe's royal blood

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- Around Europe, the talk at the palace dinner table may sound different these days: the vowels not quite so round and posh. You might even hear an Australian twang or a Latin American lilt.

And the conversation might be the stuff of regular folk.

The blue blood of Europe's royal families is increasingly diluted by the common red variety. Unthinkable before the social upheaval of the world wars, it is now more frequent than not for royalty to marry commoners -- and it's happening twice more this month alone.

It's a sign of changing times in society's ultimate crust.

In the days when kings not only reigned but ruled, the palace arranged the marriages of the children to seal a political alliance, or to shore up the family's blood line.

Domestic satisfactions were resolved through the unofficial institution of the official mistress.

Now that politics are constitutionally separated from the palace, love is allowed to triumph over duty.

Denmark and Spain are the latest to witness the weddings of their crown princes -- the future kings of their ancient monarchies -- to commoners.

On Friday, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, scion of Europe's oldest royal house, wed Mary Donaldson, a law-trained businesswoman from Australia.

Eight days later, in Madrid, Crown Prince Felipe of the Royal House of Bourbon is marrying Letizia Ortiz, a former TV anchorwoman.

They join the list of princes -- among them Norwegian and Dutch -- who foreswore the search for aristocratic matches, found their brides in the ranks of the people, and married them without having to renounce their claim to the throne.

"I can't predict whether these marriages will work out. But they are breathtakingly different from anything that happened in the past," said Harold Brooks-Baker, publishing director of Burke's Peerage in London, one of the bibles of aristocratic lineages.

Brooks-Baker thought some of the choices of brides were "strange."

"Most of these people don't belong to the aristocratic class, or even to upper middle class families. Some are from very obscure backgrounds, and some have controversial pasts," he told The Associated Press.

The aristocratic crowd may sniff at the new royals, but the young women are popular with the people, and in some cases have thrown open the windows of stuffy old palaces.

Princess Maxima of the Netherlands, the former Maxima Zorreguieta of Argentina -- beautiful, vivacious, intelligent -- has aroused unaccustomed public enthusiasm for the House of Orange since her 2002 wedding to Willem-Alexander, overcoming the Dutch public's initial skepticism.

The former international investment banker won Dutch hearts by distancing herself from her father, Jorge Zorreguieta, who had served in Argentina's Cabinet during the "dirty war," when the military regime killed or kidnapped thousands of suspected dissidents. Though no one accused Zorreguieta of being party to the abuses, the Dutch government sent its foreign minister to Argentina to inform him he would be unwelcome at the wedding.

Norway's future queen, the former Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoiby, was a single mother when she wed Crown Prince Haakon two years ago. The father of her son was once convicted of drug offenses, and Princess Mette-Marit gave a tearful apology to the nation for her youthful misbehavior.

Crown Prince Felipe's betrothed is a divorcee, in a Roman Catholic country where divorce was illegal before 1981. Her mother is a nurse and union shop steward, and also a divorcee.

Life in royal ranks
"Almost all monarchies are suffering from the same problem -- the arrival of young people from the bourgeoisie, even from everyday society. In many cases they are contributing modernity to a medieval system. But in others they bring vulgarity," said Jaime Penafiel, the doyen of royal watchers in Madrid. (Touché. I wonder who he's talking about? :rolleyes: )

In class-conscious Britain, Prince Charles came closest to a union within his own rank when he married Diana Spencer, the daughter of an earl, a descendant of kings, and Charles' 16th cousin. Charles' sister Anne married a commoner, as did both his brothers, Andrew and Edward. Only Edward's five-year-old marriage has survived.

Marriage outside the nobility used to be rare. Among early mold-breakers was Prince Rainier III of Monaco, who opted for Hollywood royalty, marrying Oscar-winning American actress Grace Kelly in 1956. She died in a car crash in 1982 after an unhappy life as Princess Grace.

Norway's reigning King Harald waited nine years for permission from his father, King Olav, to marry his school sweetheart Sonja, resisting the old king's entreaties that an aristocratic bride would secure the young monarchy, which came into existence only in 1905.

Some families still uphold strict standards. Prince Johan Friso, Willem Alexander's younger brother, was stripped by the government of his place in line for the Dutch crown because he and his betrothed, Mabel Wisse Smit, lied to the prime minister about a relationship she had 12 years previously with a known gangster. They married last month.

A storybook romance with a prince might be the dream of many a young girl. But, like any good fairy tale, it is fraught with danger -- from TV cameras recording every public misstep to courtiers selling racy tales to tabloids.

For a professional woman entering the ranks of nobility, "life can be difficult, it can be tragic, it can be traumatic," said Cor de Horde, editor of the Dutch magazine Vorsten, which means Monarchy.

A princess trains all her life for the demanding role of a sovereign's consort. Commoners have no preparation. The constant spotlight of public attention could strain any marriage, De Horde said. "They have to give up their identity, their own self."

Where once royal children were palace-schooled, today they often attend classes alongside ordinary students, travel the world and, not surprisingly, find companions outside their own narrow circle.

Frederik met his Australian love in a Sydney bar. Filipe first encountered Ortiz at a dinner party. Haakon and Hoiby met at an outdoor rock concert.

More than 20 European monarchies disappeared in the 20th century, leaving only nine in power, said Brooks-Baker.

De Horde believes that although mixed marriages bring new blood to inbred families, "The biggest threat comes from within. It is the eagerness of the king or queen to get close to the people. But they have to keep a distance."

"A monarch has to keep in mind what his real function is -- to be a head of state."

link
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those of you in the US can watch a show about the Wedding that is airing now on Univision. Or it will be on at 7 in your Time Zone. It is going to be repeated at 4 AM on Monday morning. Well, here that is. Check your local listings.

It's quite comprehensible why HM Queen Elizabeth II don't go to this kind of events. HM King Juan Carlos said he understant HM the Queen only attend important events, and she will be in Madrid next Saturday, due to the confirmation HM the King received from the Buckingham Palace.

I don't think it's comprehensible at all. As long as she expects other countries' monarchs to show up to British weddings and funerals, she should reciprocate. The British representation at the Danish wedding was pathetic compared with the representation by other monarchies, especially European ones. Now there's the choice of similarly pathetic representation at the Spanish wedding or a stronger representation, which would appear insulting to the Danes. I have no idea what she was thinking, sending only the Wessexes to an event where just about every other European monarchy sent both the monarch and the heir. Is Prince Charles really too busy to go to a few weddings?

Originally posted by Lyonnaise@May 15th, 2004 - 9:01 am

Life in royal ranks
"Almost all monarchies are suffering from the same problem -- the arrival of young people from the bourgeoisie, even from everyday society. In many cases they are contributing modernity to a medieval system. But in others they bring vulgarity," said Jaime Penafiel, the doyen of royal watchers in Madrid. (Touché. I wonder who he's talking about? :rolleyes: )
he once, not so long ago, said the same phrase... and he was refering to mette marit
he said something like "there are commoners who bring new blood to monarchy, also with touches of elegance, modernity and responsability, such as maxima, mary, alexandra......... (he gave nearly all of the names of the young princesses in europe, and, surprinsigly, letizia's... - he doesn't really like her) But in others they bring vulgarity, as in the case of mette marit"

letizia confirmed that her dress won't have chimney neckline... :huh: (these people are confusing us..)

there is a 70% of probability that the 22 of may will be rainy or cloudy in spain.

it was said that maybe elena's and cristina's sons will be the bridekids ;)

Yes, the infantas' children will be brideschildren in the wedding. Here is a picture of them rehearsing for the wedding.

Photo

Originally posted by samitude@May 17th, 2004 - 5:09 pm
Yes, the infantas' children will be brideschildren in the wedding. Here is a picture of them rehearsing for the wedding.

Photo
That is adorable. Thanks for posting it.

Originally posted by Lyonnaise+May 14th, 2004 - 7:47 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lyonnaise @ May 14th, 2004 - 7:47 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
<!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette

So if you live in New York (or any state that shares the same time zone with New York) the wedding will be on at 5 am. [/b][/quote]
5 am!!!!!!!

The odds of me getting up that early(or late depends on how you look at it) is very low.
Who schedules these things anyways?
Last Question: When they say 5:00 AM do they mean 5:00 the 23(Sunday) Or the 5:00 Am on the 22.

The question is probably confusing, :wacko: but I absolutely don't know when it comes on. :(

Originally posted by Princepessa@May 17th, 2004 - 5:41 pm

The odds of me getting up that early(or late depends on how you look at it) is very low.
Last Question: When they say 5:00 AM do they mean 5:00 the 23(Sunday) Or the 5:00 Am on the 22.

The question is probably confusing, :wacko: but I absolutely don't know when it comes on. :(
5 A.M. on the 22nd. Go out to the club Friday evening and don't go to bed when you get in.. You can sleep on Sunday :p

Originally posted by Lyonnaise+May 17th, 2004 - 6:52 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lyonnaise @ May 17th, 2004 - 6:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Princepessa@May 17th, 2004 - 5:41 pm

The question is probably confusing,  :wacko:  but I absolutely don't know when it comes on. :(
5 A.M. on the 22nd. Go out to the club Friday evening and don't go to bed when you get in.. You can sleep on Sunday :p [/b][/quote]
I will do exactly that. :lol:
Thank you for clearing that up. :flower:

Another wedding gift :p This time from the "Reales Academias Nacionales". A sculpture from Letizia in her journalist times. It was made by Julio López Hernández, that said that this gift represents "'el diálogo y la comunicación entre la realeza y el pueblo" (the dialog and comunication between the royalty and the people)

The gift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom