Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Madeleine-still a lot tanned

Fabiola1

Fabiola2

Old 05-21-2004, 01:09 PM

do you have mor pictures for queen noor?please can you send it?????????.and how is coming with QR???? :flower:

Old 05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

crown princess Victoria
Old 05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@May 21st, 2004 - 7:31 pm
crown princess Victoria
and there we got it, victoria and one of her funny faces
Old 05-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Here is post 5,000 from me and it is of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden.

Victoria
Old 05-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

QUEEN RANIA

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882701...9C30E9B9B114CE8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882284...9C30E9B9B114CE8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882279...9C30E9B9B114CE8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882265...9C30E9B9B114CE8

PRINCE CHARLES

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882943...9C30E9B9B114CE8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882917...9C30E9B9B114CE8

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50882883...9C30E9B9B114CE8

Some 1 just see Queen Elizabeth II.??????????????I red that she just came for the wedding and not for the partys.
This night is tiara nights.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Majesty

Carl XVI Gustaf, Silvia and Carl Philip

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prusia

Queen Rania
Old 05-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Queen Sonja

King Harald and Queen Sonja
Old 05-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by agm@May 21st, 2004 - 11:59 am
Bahrein's Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa waves to photographers upon his arrival at Madrid's Barajas airport 21 May 2004 on the eve of Spanish Crown Prince Felipe of Bourbon and former journalist Letizia Ortiz' wedding ceremony .

Bahrein's Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa
It surprises me, that leaders from non-democratic countries are invited to a royal wedding in a democratic country
Old 05-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Commoner

Quote:
It surprises me, that leaders from non-democratic countries are invited to a royal wedding in a democratic country   
Why?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Jann@May 21st, 2004 - 1:55 pm
Quote:
It surprises me, that leaders from non-democratic countries are invited to a royal wedding in a democratic country* *
Why?
A wedding is not really a state visit, but a happy gathering with family and friends. For royals that includes leaders of other countries. But I see it as a wrong signal to invite leaders, who suppresses their populations.

It reminds me of the swedish king and his recent remarks, which didn't particularly make him popular in his own country
Old 05-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Commoner

Thanks for the clarification although I disagree.

Quote:
It reminds me of the swedish king and his recent remarks, which didn't particularly make him popular in his own country
Again, why? I do not know his recent remarks.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Chatleen+May 21st, 2004 - 1:05 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chatleen @ May 21st, 2004 - 1:05 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jann@May 21st, 2004 - 1:55 pm
Quote:
It surprises me, that leaders from non-democratic countries are invited to a royal wedding in a democratic country* *
Why?
A wedding is not really a state visit, but a happy gathering with family and friends. For royals that includes leaders of other countries. But I see it as a wrong signal to invite leaders, who suppresses their populations.

It reminds me of the swedish king and his recent remarks, which didn&#39;t particularly make him popular in his own country [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m sorry, but since when has Bahrein surpressed it&#39;s people? I&#39;m confused. Could you please explain you logic??
Old 05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Jann@May 21st, 2004 - 2:10 pm

Quote:
It reminds me of the swedish king and his recent remarks, which didn&#39;t particularly make him popular in his own country
Again, why? I do not know his recent remarks.
In february, when the swedish king and queen visited Brunei, the king made some favourable remarks on the sultan and his relations with the population:

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/verden/article184342.ece

Afterwards he had to apologize as a consequence of criticism put forward by several Swedes. In this article, a professor even argues, that the king ought to abdicate:

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/verden/article184466.ece
Old 05-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Jann@May 21st, 2004 - 2:10 pm
Why do you disagree?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Chatleen+May 21st, 2004 - 12:52 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chatleen @ May 21st, 2004 - 12:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-agm@May 21st, 2004 - 11:59 am
Bahrein&#39;s Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa waves to photographers upon his arrival at Madrid&#39;s Barajas airport 21 May 2004 on the eve of Spanish Crown Prince Felipe of Bourbon and former journalist Letizia Ortiz&#39; wedding ceremony .

Bahrein&#39;s Crown Prince Sheikh Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa
It surprises me, that leaders from non-democratic countries are invited to a royal wedding in a democratic country [/b][/quote]
Interesting, but since they trade with them, why wouldn&#39;t they?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Athena@May 21st, 2004 - 2:15 pm
I&#39;m sorry, but since when has Bahrein surpressed it&#39;s people? I&#39;m confused. Could you please explain you logic??
It was not my intention to turn this board into a discussion of human rights etc. But I honestly find it remarkable, that the SRF with its previous relations to former dictator Franco to be on friendly terms with an now reigning absolute monarch. That&#39;s all.

As to Bahrein, just to give an example of the suppression of the people:

Quote:
The following states are still not party to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women: Afghanistan, Bahrein, Democratic People&#39;s Republic of Korea, Djibouti, Holy See, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Monaco, Nauru, Niger, Niue, Palau, Qatar, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Tonga, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates and the United States of America.
(source: http://web.amnesty.org/library/index/ENGIOR400121997)
Old 05-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Commoner

Lots of points to make&#33;

Firstly, thanks for the links. I shall check them later.

Quote:
A wdding may well be just friends and family for some people, but for others it also includes business associates, those people who have to be invited because somebody else was invited etc. In royal circles, the list gets long. It is also an occasion at which people can talk behind the scenes without the pressure of media (for example) reporting the outcome of meetings with an acknowledged agenda. There are no political reprecussions to worry about but an opportunity for (how I hate this word) networking.

A wrong signal? No, I don&#39;t think so. So much can be resoved through discussion and compromise. The doors should always be kept open to this.

And with respect to Bahrain - well, democracy in the middle east is not as advanced as elsewhere however, Bahrain isn&#39;t one of the worst. Added to which, not everyone shares the US philosophy of exporting democracy and valuing it as much as they (the Americans) do.

Granted, &#39;suppressing populations&#39; is slightly different from actual democracy. Again, Bahrain (your example) is not one of the worst offenders. It happens all over the world to one extent or another. This doesn&#39;t make it right, but it doesn&#39;t preclude attendance at a wedding.

I could go on for longer but this gives you an overview of my thoughts.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Commoner

Quote:
As to Bahrein, just to give an example of the suppression of the people:

QUOTE&nbsp;
The following states are still not party to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women: Afghanistan, Bahrein, Democratic People&#39;s Republic of Korea, Djibouti, Holy See, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Micronesia, Monaco, Nauru, Niger, Niue, Palau, Qatar, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, Swaziland, Syria, Tonga, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates and the United States of America.

Additionally, not being a signatory of CEDAW does not automatically mean the suppression of people. The list you have provided is not comprehensive. If we are woring on the basis of exclusion for not signing treaties, there are a few others that I personally believe should rank higher than CEDAW, as important as it may be.

But as you say, this is not the board for such a discussion.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Serene Highness

MADRID, Spain: Moroccan Prince Moulay Rachid, brother of King Mohammed VI, waves to photographers upon his arrival at Torrejon de Ardoz military airport 21 May 2004 on the eve of Spanish Crown Prince&#39;s wedding to former journalist Letizia Ortiz

Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco