Louis Ducruet and Marie Chevallier: July 26 & 27, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are on page #17 of the Louis/Marie wedding thread...and a least half of the posts concern whether or which of the ceremonies that Princess Charlene attended!:lol::sad:

I really like how they handle this wedding with all the pictures released but at the same time not showing too much. They treat us well with the group picture of the Grimaldi-Ducruet-Casiraghi-Hanover women picture, and the family picture at the end.

Here's hoping for the same picture but with the missing family members, including kids.

I was wondering about Alexandre since we don't seem to see much of him (I presume his mother understandably wanted to keep him more private). It's nice to see he was there. If Jazmin and Alexandre were there, then that makes Charlene's reasoning even more poor... IMO!

Did Marie convert to Roman Catholicism or was she already Catholic?

I was wondering about Alexandre since we don't seem to see much of him (I presume his mother understandably wanted to keep him more private). It's nice to see he was there. If Jazmin and Alexandre were there, then that makes Charlene's reasoning even more poor... IMO!

Alexandre is still a minor and hence still under supervision, I think that's why we do not see much of him yet.

Did Marie convert to Roman Catholicism or was she already Catholic?

That's a good question. Southern California has a sizeable Vietnamese community. Many of them are Catholic, but most are Buddhist.

That's a good question. Southern California has a sizeable Vietnamese community. Many of them are Catholic, but most are Buddhist.
The Vietnamese I meet in Sweden are often Catholic. Most are descended from the boat people that came here in the early 80s who's reason for escaping from Vietnam was often them being persecuted for their Catholic faith.

Her surname sounds French rather than Vietnamese; so it seems her father isn't Vietnamese which makes it less likely that she grew up Buddhist.

Last edited:
Marie's late father was a Frenchman, so he was probably at least baptized Catholic.

As for her Vietnamese mother as JR76 pointed out many refugees who fled the civil war between North and South Vietnam and came to Europe and the US were Catholic.

Marie just changed her Instagram name to Marie Ducruet with a caption, 'Omg it feels so weird' plus Face With Tears of Joy emoji.

This is so cute.

Birth's surname for me is more important. I don't find so cute changing , sometimes it's profitable.

Marie's late father was a Frenchman, so he was probably at least baptized Catholic.

As for her Vietnamese mother as JR76 pointed out many refugees who fled the civil war between North and South Vietnam and came to Europe and the US were Catholic.
I had forgotten about French Indochina and how Catholicism was introduced ,its quite possible Marie was already Roman Catholic .

Birth's surname for me is more important. I don't find so cute changing , sometimes it's profitable.

I don't think Marie is doing it because it would be profitable; I hope that's not what you are trying to imply.

It seems that people's view on surnames is mainly shaped by what they are used to. In Peru I've heard people explain how their way of going about it (adding 'de + husband's surname' after their paternal and maternal surnames) is the best way; in the States some might ask questions if women don't change their surname upon marriage (while I think it's weird that some give up their middle name and replace it with their former surname); in the Netherlands most married women would hyphenate (in the order: husband's surname-father's surname); while in Canada the order would be reversed.

If I understand it correctly, in Italy it is not common to change surnames, which is probably why you don't like the idea of changing it. Personally I prefer to hyphenate in the 'Dutch' order (as now my first alliance is to my husband and second to my family of origin - it also makes it easier for families that they share the same surname; when referencing the family the 'husband's surname' can be used for all); although I am very much aware that this is partly because of the tradition I grew up in.

You seem to imply that you think that Marie might want to profit of the last name Ducruet. I rather think she changed out of love and wants the same last name as her husband.

I don't think Marie is doing it because it would be profitable; I hope that's not what you are trying to imply.

It seems that people's view on surnames is mainly shaped by what they are used to. In Peru I've heard people explain how their way of going about it (adding 'de + husband's surname' after their paternal and maternal surnames) is the best way; in the States some might ask questions if women don't change their surname upon marriage (while I think it's weird that some give up their middle name and replace it with their former surname); in the Netherlands most married women would hyphenate (in the order: husband's surname-father's surname); while in Canada the order would be reversed.

If I understand it correctly, in Italy it is not common to change surnames, which is probably why you don't like the idea of changing it. Personally I prefer to hyphenate in the 'Dutch' order (as now my first alliance is to my husband and second to my family of origin - it also makes it easier for families that they share the same surname; when referencing the family the 'husband's surname' can be used for all); although I am very much aware that this is partly because of the tradition I grew up in.

True, in the Netherlands when you are married it was officially Husband's Last Name - Birth Last Name. But in general life once you're married you're just addressed with your husband's last name.

That is at least how it used to be, today I believe it's more common to keep your own family name and it's indeed also what you grew up with.

It's always been traditional for a bride to change her surname to her husband's in most Western cultures, where there has been a patriarchal society. So much so that up until recently here in the UK, if one had their maiden name after marriage it was automatically presumed that they were a single mother or a feminist (or at least where I'm from). I think Marie however, is doing this out of pure love as they seem to be a very warm and affectionate couple.

Thanks. I didn't know. That rules out that option then. [emoji5]
The Princess converted to Catholicism and has been very public in her conversion,visits to the Vatican and attendance at RC Religious feasts in Monaco such as Corpus Christi and St Devote for example.

It's always been traditional for a bride to change her surname to her husband's in most Western cultures, where there has been a patriarchal society. So much so that up until recently here in the UK, if one had their maiden name after marriage it was automatically presumed that they were a single mother or a feminist (or at least where I'm from). I think Marie however, is doing this out of pure love as they seem to be a very warm and affectionate couple.

In most western countries it was indeed common for the wife to take OR add her husband's surname (although how it was done differed significantly). However, even in the past traditions differed between countries; for example, in the UK it's normal for women to keep their married name after divorce which would be uncommon or unthinkable in many other 'western' European countries.

In countries that practice 'double surnames' (such as Spain where children get a surname of both of their parents: For example Sofía's surname is: de Borbón y Ortiz because her parents are: Felipe de Borbón y de Grecia and Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano); I don't think it ever was the custom for a women to change to her husband's surname; as in that case the whole naming system of having surnames after both parents would be pointless.

But we're getting rather off-topic (although I am always interested in these cultural differences - but I have limited knowledge about the French and Monegasque customs regarding this issue; which would be relevant). :curtsey:

Marie just changed her Instagram name to Marie Ducruet with a caption, 'Omg it feels so weird' plus Face With Tears of Joy emoji.

This is so cute.

I agree. She seems so down to earth and natural, and her happiness is infectious.

Good for her.;)

In most western countries it was indeed common for the wife to take OR add her husband's surname (although how it was done differed significantly). However, even in the past traditions differed between countries; for example, in the UK it's normal for women to keep their married name after divorce which would be uncommon or unthinkable in many other 'western' European countries.

In countries that practice 'double surnames' (such as Spain where children get a surname of both of their parents: For example Sofía's surname is: de Borbón y Ortiz because her parents are: Felipe de Borbón y de Grecia and Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano); I don't think it ever was the custom for a women to change to her husband's surname; as in that case the whole naming system of having surnames after both parents would be pointless.

But we're getting rather off-topic (although I am always interested in these cultural differences - but I have limited knowledge about the French and Monegasque customs regarding this issue; which would be relevant). :curtsey:

An additional difference which exists among Western countries is whether the tradition of taking or adding the husband's surname is done on the basis of a legally recognized change to the woman's name, or merely her use of her husband's name on a courtesy basis (while her birth name continues to be the name shown in her official papers). The latter applies to the French and Monegasque civil codes.

Well noted, and likewise views of family are shaped by tradition - the traditions of some countries view "the family" as comprising parents, siblings, and other relatives rather than limiting the concept to one's spouse and unmarried children, so that it would be unusual for all of the family to share the same surname.

In Italy if it's profitable women like changing surname, but if their's birth surname is more profitable they don't. That has nothing to di with love.Marie hasn't married a poor boy, Louis is a proncess's son. However , coincidentally, Beatrice Borromeo and Tatiana Santo Domingo don't use their husband's surname.

Does it make a difference really? The people in Monaco all know who she is already, she already has contacts and elevation from marrying Louis, so she's happily married and wanted to change her name, her cousins in law haven't I don't think it makes them better or worse.

Ok so you find them boring. They're private citizens who had a mostly private wedding with a few pictures because he's Princess Stephanie's son. They can be as boring as they like and not affect anyone.

Boring is for me reading every thing such as love is the only reason.

Boring is for me reading every thing such as love is the only reason.
Given how vocal you are about your displeasure regarding the members of the Princely family and such a happy event as last weeks wedding maybe it'd be better to stay away from the Monaco threads to avoid getting caught in the sticky molasses

Molasses for me concerns some ccomments , not the members of princely family. I find some ccomments a bit sickly , but this Is my opinion. I respect your opinions, you could respect mine.

Back
Top Bottom