The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
As for the hysterically negative media coverage, it is impossible to make mass media outlets stop reporting some cheap sensational articles, which are gulped down by the British public, who tend to come across as disgruntled.
I notice your use of the word hysterical when referring to anyone/thing British, so would point out for the people who do have problems with the English language, the actual meaning of the word. -
1. in a state of uncontrolled panic, anger, or excitement:
2. Informal wildly funny

--------------------
Gulped down by the British public, I have the temerity to ask on what you base this, surely not from reading the comments from the Mail readers?
--------------------------------
Health, Wealth and Happiness to the couple who were the stars on the day!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

So, now it is clear it was the Countess of Ulster, here are two more pics of her together with the Earl of Ulster :

http://i26.tinypic.com/mhcydi.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/1oaijs.jpg

The Countess of St. Andrews with her daughter Lady Marina-Charlotte:

http://i27.tinypic.com/2yzd0uv.jpg

And finally Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece:

http://i26.tinypic.com/152zz1e.jpg

Old 09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
And finally Crown Princess Marie-Chantal of Greece: http://i26.tinypic.com/152zz1e.jpg
with prince Dimitri of Yougoslavia?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Indeed, it looks like him! Sadly I found no other pic of this person...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I notice your use of the word hysterical when referring to anyone/thing British, so would point out for the people who do have problems with the English language, the actual meaning of the word. -
1. in a state of uncontrolled panic, anger, or excitement:
2. Informal wildly funny

--------------------
Gulped down by the British public, I have the temerity to ask on what you base this, surely not from reading the comments from the Mail readers?
... [snipped]
Thank you very much for the lesson. However, as a rule I check a meaning of particular word in the Longman Dictionary online. The first meaning of the word "hysterical" is unable to control your behaviour or emotions because you are very upset, afraid, excited etc. Reading the comments to the articles, which were submitted by the Forums members, I have come to conclusion that British mass media and British public are unable to control their emotions because of anger or frustration or general annoyance with various royals, who tend to lead a better existence because of their social status.
As for gulped down by the British public, I base my opinion of the public on conversations with my cousin, who used to reside in the UK. Articles I read in the Daily Mail are limited to those submitted by the Forum members.
I hope we are not veering off the topic too much.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Girls and Boys, here is the article of the wedding of Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman.

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/200909142013/frederick-windsor/wedding-winkleman/hello-michael-kent/1/(14/09/2009).

Here are more beautiful photos of the bride and groom:
http://i26.tinypic.com/r9kdpc.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/o5by54.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/21dn6a0.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/fa2ahj.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2j5gok1.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/143kgt1.jpg
Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Courtier

With all due respect as someone who has more than just lived in Britain I would say that the British people are very calm, in fact if you are unlucky enough to be in an accident I hope that you are surrounded by cool calm British people. As far as dictionaries go I much prefer Oxford. I don´t want to go off topic but it is most unfair to use these words when talking about the British public especially if you are basing your claims on second, third or even more opinions and we know tabloids just want to sell as many copies as possible. What is more, if you look at the opinions submitted, you may find that most are from countries other than those in the British Isles.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthelight View Post
Here are more beautiful photos of the bride and groom:
http://i26.tinypic.com/r9kdpc.jpg
Thanks so much for posting these pictures! In this one Sophie looks so glamorous and regal. Is it her father on her side? I suppose it was a Rolls Royce in which she drove to the church.

Picture of Princess Alexandra:

http://i26.tinypic.com/723meg.jpg
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, as far as I know, this man is Sophie's father.

Princess Alexandra looks very elegant.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
..... The first meaning of the word "hysterical" is unable to control your behaviour or emotions because you are very upset, afraid, excited etc. Reading the comments to the articles submitted by the Forums members, I came to conclusion that British mass media and British public are unable to control their emotions because of anger or frustration.
The definition is clearly different in the Cambridge or Oxford dictionaries or in general usage within the UK! We must be reading different forums/media, as I have rarely seen any posts or comments that would suggest an inability 'to control behaviour or emotions because the poster or press are very upset, afraid, excited etc'.
----------------------------------
A big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post pictures and articles, it is much appreciated by this poster.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for your information!
In the end, a case of semantics has nothing to do with the thread. As noted by Zonk and other TRF members, the amount of venom spit at Lord Frederic and his mother by various media outlets and general public in the form of the comments to the articles published by the aforementioned mass media outlets is utterly ridiculous. That will be all... I believe.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Courtier

Thank you very much for the new pictures, queenofthelight and Dierna23.
Finally, a picture of Princess Alexandra! She looks lovely, as usual.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

No she does not . She is usually in a timeless way very beautiful, this is not a good picture that does her justice, she looks a bit like a dressed up bag lady to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
Thank you very much for the new pictures, queenofthelight and Dierna23.
Finally, a picture of Princess Alexandra! She looks lovely, as usual.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
No she does not . She is usually in a timeless way very beautiful, this is not a good picture that does her justice, she looks a bit like a dressed up bag lady to me.
The vocabulary used in presenting personal opinions in this thread is bordering on derogatory. Civilized discussions do not use terms as " bag lady", "vulgar" and so on about people who happen to wear something someone dislike.

This was a wedding where the bride - as most brides do - choose a gown that defined what she wanted for this blessed moment. The family members and guests chose outfits that suited them and the situation. To not agree with someones choice is perfectly fine but there are perfectly civilized ways of letting others partake of ones opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

i do not know why it is wrong to use a term as bag lady, but am sorry if it offended you

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The vocabulary used in presenting personal opinions in this thread is bordering on derogatory. Civilized discussions do not use terms as " bag lady", "vulgar" and so on about people who happen to wear something someone dislike.

This was a wedding where the bride - as most brides do - choose a gown that defined what she wanted for this blessed moment. The family members and guests chose outfits that suited them and the situation. To not agree with someones choice is perfectly fine but there are perfectly civilized ways of letting others partake of ones opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

http://i32.tinypic.com/21dn6a0.jpg

This is such a nice photo of them with Hampton Court Palace in the background.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
i do not know why it is wrong to use a term as bag lady, but am sorry if it offended you
This is the definition of a "bag lady'.

bag lady
Noun
a homeless woman who carries around all her possessions in shopping bags
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
Old 09-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Gentry

At what age should a woman cover up? It's Princess Push-Up thrusting forward the ques

The Kents are probably my favorite royals and I wish there were more photos available of them.

I nearly fell off my chair reading this line from today's Daily Mail: "[Princess Michael] was all got-up like an old-fashioned plantation mistress from the Deep South, hitching up her petticoats to flee from the antebellum mansion that had become her prison and marry Big Sam in a cotton field."

The article is yet another swipe at the Kent's, which is too bad, but the writing is quite comical:

Daily Mail: At what age should a woman cover up? It's Princess Push-Up thrusting forward the question...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Thats kind of ridiculous. I dislike such discussions about woman. And in fact, Marie-Christine looks very good for a woman of 64, she can afford it IMO to wear such a neckline - if it was a good choice for a wedding is another question. IF they compare her with a woman like Sophia Loren - she looks indeed vulgar and too old for such necklines in the meantime...
Old 09-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Courtier

I would like to say in a perfectly civilized way that low necklines as worn by Princess Michael and her daughter-in-law are out of place in a religious ceremony. Many brides do wear wedding dresses that send out a very different message from the one that is basic to a church wedding, the religious side of marriage. Young women want to look beautifully dressed on their wedding day and not vulgar, sometimes it is the designers fault as the dresses would probably look perfectly beautiful in a ballroom.
Princess Michael´s dress is an example of this, at a ball she would have been beautiful, but it is also considered bad manners to try to outshine the bride, and she certainly did.