The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i really like the picture in mtcbm's post of diana and the queen talking it shows that they had a perfectly normally mother/daughter-in-law relationship and what has been written about them is most likely rubbish

does anyone know the origins of the tiara worn by lady sarah was iot sold in the auction of her mother's possessions in june 06?

Old 10-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

does anyone know the origins of the tiara worn by lady sarah was iot sold in the auction of her mother's possessions in june 06?[/quote]

This tiara was called "the Snowdon Floral tiara" or something to that effect. It was a gift from Antony Armstrong Jones to Princess Margaret on their wedding day. I don't know that the Princess ever wore it as a tiara, but it could be broken up into brooches, so perhaps she wore it in that form. Not sure if it was sold at auction--I hope not. It's really a lovely piece. Lady Sarah looked truly beautiful on her wedding day (second only to her mother, imo)
There was an amazing picture of her getting out of the car on her wedding day, surrounded by her bridesmaids all in white themselves. With those beautiful pastel flowers all around them fluffing her dress--my favorite picture!!

Old 10-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Gentry

No, the tiara wasn't sold at auction. Because it was a gift from Lord Snowdon, it would be considered a family heirloom, like the Spencer Tiara reverted to Charles, Earl Spencer after his father's death and was on loan to Princess Diana. It was loaned to Serena Stanhope, for the wedding and returned to Princess Margaret after it. With Princess Margaret's passing, the tiara would revert to Lady Snowdon (Serena) - as the wife of David, Lord Snowdon.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Gentry

I love her wedding dress!
Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Serena Linley did not wear the tiara on her wedding day that Sarah wore instead she wore a diamond and pearl tiara loaned from Princess Margaret

Old 12-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Serena wore the Papyrus Motive Tiara. This tiara was bought by Queen Mary from Garrard's. She later gave it to the Duchess of York later the Queen Mother. She in turn gave it to her daughter Princess Margaret. Serena borrowed the tiara for her wedding day.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 AM
Gentry

Just seen the pictures again. This dress (and also the dresses and bouquets of the brides maids) are my all time favourites. This is a WOW dress (with capital letters).
she seems also a very lovely lady.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Royal Highness

What a lovely bride and what a wonderful chance to view again that ceremony.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 AM
Aristocracy

Nice to see these pictures again , I think the tiara is still in the possession of Lady Sarah, but proberbly worn as brooches. Perhaps we will see it again in this form when any of their children marry
Old 01-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

Lady Frances Armstrong-Jones wore the Snowdon Floral Tiara on her wedding day (halfsister to Sarah)
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Nobility

As for the less-is-more look, I feel that such a look was great for a small, intimate ceremony but it's not a look that I'd choose for myself.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Courtier

Sarah was one of the most elegant royal brides. Her gown was simple, yet well-designed and reflects the bride very well. I also loved the complimentary gowns worn by her bridesmaids.

I would love to see Catherine Middleton wear something similar.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

I really loved her dress.It has medieval feel to it.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Sarah (as evidenced by my sometime Avatar) looked absolutely beautiful on her wedding. I loved the simplicity and richness of the dress.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Heir Apparent

It's been almost 17 years since her wedding.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Lady Sarah Chatto's Wedding Dress
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers’ Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #9. Lady Sarah Chatto

Sarah's gown was simply beautiful. Her gown had elegance, timelessness, and romance. Love the corset bodice, the skirt, and train. It does have a great fluid movement. The tiara is lovely but I don't like the greenery with it. This would not be in my top 10 since it is very similar to Mette Marit's wedding dress and I much perfer her gown to Sarah's. Still, I think it's a very beautiful dress.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Gentry

Sarah's gown was beautiful! Love the simplicity of it.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 PM
Serene Highness

"Alleluia! Sing to Jesus" was an excellent choice for one of the hymns of the wedding ceremony.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Sarah's wedding dress is currently on display at the V&A musuem in London as part of their special exhibition on centuries of wedding fashion. I went to the exhibition last week - it is really worth doing if you are in London as the Duchess of Cornwall's blesisng dress is also on display.

I was surprised to see the condition of Sarah's dress now - there was quite alot of yellowing of the fabric on the back and bodice of the dress. Never the less it is a beautifully simple piece. She must have been a very tiny bride as the size of the waistline was very small indeed.

Also on display is the Snowdon floral tiara - the display states that the tiara was made up of brooches given to Margaret by Lord Snowdon and it came at the suggestion of the designer of the wedding dress Japser Conran to out the brooches together and create a tiara for Sarahs wedding. I had always assumed that the tiara in existance when Snowdon gave it to Margaret.

You are not allowed to take pictures of the exhibition which is a shame