Lady Huda Bahaaul Bulqiah to Muhammad Suhaimi - August 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alfie

Aristocracy
City
Singapore
Country
Singapore
Another royal wedding this month. Pengiran Anak Hjh Huda Bahaaul Bulqiah, daughter of HRH Princess Hjh Umi Kalthum Al-Islam is getting married to Ak. Suhaimi. He is a businessman. She had her berbedak ceremony on tuesday 22nd of August 2006.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Her Majesty at Istiadat Malam Berbedak [/FONT]
Her Majesty Raja Isteri Pg Anak Hajah Saleha and Her Royal Highness Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar on Tuesday night attended the Istiadat Malam Berbedak for Yang Amat Mulia Pengiran Anak Hjh Huda Bahaaul Bulqiah, the daughter of Her Royal Highness Princess Hjh Amal Umi Kalthum Al Islam.
The ceremony took place in Jerudong.
. . . .
During this ceremony, various coloured powders mixed with perfumes are applied on the palms of the bride during the ceremony. The ceremonial powdering ritual continued with Her Royal Highness Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar and followed by other members of the royal family including parents of the bride, Her Royal Highness Princess Hjh Amal Umi Kalthum Al Islam and Yang Teramat Mulia Pengiran Indera Seri Diraja Sahibul Karib Pengiran Anak Hj Idris.Borneo Bulletin

Pictures from Infofoto

More pictures from the "powdering ceremony" from Infofoto

alfie said:
Another royal wedding this month. Pengiran Anak Hjh Huda Bahaaul Bulqiah, daughter of HRH Princess Hjh Umi Kalthum Al-Islam is getting married to Ak. Suhaimi. He is a businessman. She had her berbedak ceremony on tuesday 22nd of August 2006.

alfie do you happen to know how old the bride and groom are?
And when is the actual wedding taking place?

What a beautiful bride!!! Cant wait to see her wedding picture (bride and groom)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
alfie do you happen to know how old the bride and groom are?
And when is the actual wedding taking place?

The wedding took place yesterday 27th August. I can't remember how old the groom is, i think around my age 30 something hehe.The bride is 25 yrs old.

alfie said:
The wedding took place yesterday 27th August. I can't remember how old the groom is, i think around my age 30 something hehe.The bride is 25 yrs old.

Ya, we happened to be on Jerudong Rd on Sunday and passed by some of the guests arriving for the wedding.

Anyway, I would like to ask, if anybody knows, what does it signifies by some of the women wearing their kain songket up to their chest. I know it must be some royal custom, but I wonder if anyone knows what it means and who gets to wear these.

Brunei Royal Wedding?

Can anyone tell me the names of the Brunei Royals who married a couple of days ago?

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Royals grace Berinai ceremony [/FONT]

Her Majesty Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha and Her Royal Highness Pg Isteri Azrinaz Hakim Mazhar last night consented to grace the Majlis Malam Berinai for Pg Anak Hjh Huda Bahaaul Bulqiah Pg Indera Setia Diraja Sahibul Karib Pg Anak Hj Idris, the daughter of His Majesty's younger sister HRH Princess Hjh Amal Umi Kalthum Al-Islam.

Also gracing the ceremony were HRH Pg Anak Isteri Pg Anak Hjh Zariah, HRH Princess Hjh Masna, HRH Princess Hjh Noor Ehsani and other members of the royal family. The Majlis Malam Berinai or more commonly known as Majlis Berpacar is a traditional ritual prior to a wedding whereby designated personages paste grind henna leaves on palms of the bride and groom. Borneo Bulletin

Pictures from Infofoto

I really like her gown she looks lovely.

The bride looks lovely. I almost didn't recognize her without all the make she wore at the Berbedak ceremony. Everything, her outfit, jewellery, is tasteful and elegant. I really like her tiara too, its quite unique, with the crescent and the star at the top. I've only seen the motif on two or three other tiaras, worn by the Sultan's former wife Mariam, Queen Saleha and Queen Fauziah of Malaysia.
Infact, the bride is wearing the same tiara worn by Queen Saleha in this portrait posted in the Brunei Royal Jewels thread:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/tlklhm/Portrait-Saleha.jpg

Little_star said:
My cousin got married at the beginning of July and her valima outfit was very similar to the bride's. The colours that is.
yes the outfit and does remind me of Pakistani lehngas etc. But have you noticed how Brunei pre-wedding ceremonies are similar to those in Pakistan? I mean, Berinai (applying of henna to the palms of the bride and groom) is essentially another name for the mehndi ceremony.

I wonder who is her stylist and make up artist. Princess Rashidah and CP Sarah have the same stylist and make up artist for their wedding. The stylist (also make up artist) is Peter F. Saerang from Indonesia. He has been Royal's stylist for almost 25 years. He said that He goes to Brunei at least five times a year.

Oh my god, she looks stunning, much better tha sarah I must say, so elegant and simple and not over done!

Where is the groom?

can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the Berbedak and Berinai ceremonies for the groom were performed separetely at his residence.
Below are the pictures from the actual wedding ceremony which took place on August 27 at the bride's residence.

Their Majesties attend wedding ceremony

His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, Her Majesty Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha and HRH Pengiran Isteri Azrinaz Mazhar consented to grace the 'Majlis Bersanding' for YAM Pg Anak Hajah Huda Bahaaul Bulqiah binti Pg Indera Setia Diraja Sahibul Karib Pg Anak Haji Idris at Baitun Na'aim in Jerudong.
After the royal arrival, the bride was accompanied into the ceremonial hall by Pehin Orang Kaya Paduka Seri Utama Dato Paduka Seri Setia Awg Haji Salim with several Pengiran-Pengiran (female) carrying the 'Dian Majalis' leading the way.
...After the bride was seated at the wedding dais, the groom, Pg Hj Mohamed Suhaimi Pg Penggawa Laila Bentara Istiadat Diraja Dalam Istana Pg Hj Alauddin, was led into hall by Pehin Dato Paduka Awg Hj Salim , who then helped place the right hand of the groom on the head of the bride. Borneo Bulletin

Pictures from Infofoto

More from the wedding ceremony (Infofoto)

The bride looks lovely once again. Her look is rather subdued for Brunei royal weddings. I wonder, too, if she had a non-Bruneian stylist and designer. The dress and jewels are still very opulent.

The bride and groom greet members of the royal family (Infofoto)

More from Infofoto and Borneo Bulletin (from the last article)

Thank you so much for sharing the pictures on these wedding.

I must confess, and please don't jump to my throat:ermm: , I am happily surprised with the Bride's elegance.

She has the poise elegance and serene look of a Queen... I don't know who her advisers on the wedding are but she better keep them.

When I saw her photos at the first cerimony (Berbedak, I think) I was assaulted by fears that she would appear on the second cerimony (Majlis Berpacar , is it?) all covered with strong colours make-up, sunk under golden jewels and almost unrecognizable, and she is so beautiful that it wouldn't do any justice to her...

infofoto

I was gladly surprised... and delighted!

infofoto
Thank you so much for sharing!

Regards,
mtbcm :)

~*~Humera~*~ said:
The bride looks lovely once again. Her look is rather subdued for Brunei royal weddings. I wonder, too, if she had a non-Bruneian stylist and designer. The dress and jewels are still very opulent.
I agree, she looks ellegance. I like her dress. Its design and color are so simple and it makes her look pretty.

I confess my ignorance of the customs of Brunei. Is it significant that the Crown Prince and Pengiran Sarah are seated across the room from the rest of the family?

I don't think the way some of these ladies wore the kain jongsarat (kain: malay for cloth. Jongsarat: literally jong means a type of boat while sarat means full. The name implies the cloth is full of embroidery/patterns) in this picture http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=1SAHRIN_13.jpg is the traditional style of wearing them which is to 'kapit' or clasp the jongsarat under your arm instead they have worn them over their left arms.

I have never seen them worn like that prior to CP Sarah's mother during the Crown prince's wedding... I thought it was just because she didn't know how to wear it properly. Now, everyone's following her way. I guess this reduces the need to 'kapit' the kain which can be tiring but personally I prefer people wearing them the traditional way because to me that is the true way of wearing the jongsarat for females and more Malay since this way was started by a Swiss lady... hehehe! what a trendsetter...

Regarding why we women wear the jongsarat... as far as I know, it's just a Malay tradition... but we only wear them on certain traditional occasions like weddings and during recitation of the Al-Quran... Men wear them around their waist a certain way and we women wear them differently. Sometimes we wear a silver or golden belt around our waist so that we don't have to 'kapit' the kain.

Last edited:
Dang Ayah said:
I don't think the way some of these ladies wore the kain jongsarat (kain: malay for cloth. Jongsarat: literally jong means a type of boat while sarat means full. The name implies the cloth is full of embroidery/patterns) in this picture http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=1SAHRIN_13.jpg is the traditional style of wearing them which is to 'kapit' or clasp the jongsarat under your arm instead they have worn them over their left arms.

I have never seen them worn like that prior to CP Sarah's mother during the Crown prince's wedding... I thought it was just because she didn't know how to wear it properly. Now, everyone's following her way. I guess this reduces the need to 'kapit' the kain which can be tiring but personally I prefer people wearing them the traditional way because to me that is the true way of wearing the jongsarat for females and more Malay since this way was started by a Swiss lady... hehehe! what a trendsetter...
This style of wearing the jongsarat(over their left arms) is the style for the royal family. CP Sarah's mother & the groom's mother (Pg Suhaimi's mother) are given the priviledge to wear it like them.

Hello everyone, I just saw the pics of the sultan's niece's wedding and I think that she looks very stunning and somewhat different to the way that Sarah's wedding gear looked. It wasn't so bright with lots of brilliant colours. The more plain and natural a person looks the more beautiful you appear and thats just the way I admıre the sultan's niece in her most wonderful wedding gown.On another note, I also know that most Muslim people round the globe put mehndi (henna) on their hands and even their feet. This is a Muslim custom and also a sunnah(blessing) to wear.:flowers: We normally make patterns with the henna.:flowers:

Beautiful absolutely beaiutiful. I was unable to see CP Billah & CP Sarah, hope they enjoyed the wedding. :ROFLMAO:

Humera said:
More from Infofoto and Borneo Bulletin (from the last article)

Back
Top Bottom