King Mohammed & Salma Bennani 21 March 2002

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lalla Salma is an extraordinarily beautiful women and she looked fabulous during her wedding ceremonies.

well no Sonjapearl it not true what you read.
according to a book i've read this summer Lalla is old Amazigh word and it mean godess the berbers use to call their wife Lalla(godess) apparently by affection love respect....once the arab muslim arrived to the Morocco acoording to the same book they liked the tradition and Lalla became inseparable from the name of each women in Morocco.

Ah, I see.

Thanks, Lilo :flowers:

Yes Lalla is used in the "streets" or in houses to call kindly the ladies and Sidi for the men, it's respect sign
but it's also a title, for the members of the Royal Family, you have to call Princesses ""Lalla" obligatory as the Princes "Moulay" (Mylord) and the King "Sidi" (Mylord)

YouTube - Maroc, un mariage royal

Lalla Hassna Asmaa and Meryem was more than Stunning this day

especially lalla meryem she was absolutely wonderful!!!!
ps: what i found funy in this video, is at the moment of taking photos, she talked to prince moulay rachid but this one seems very concentrated to have a nice posture and he didn't care at all at what she said:lol:

Hi HRHAmy! Yes you are correct, this is an ancient Moroccan Saharan (aka Amazighy) tradition; which symbolizes her transition from her previous life as a single Lady to her new life consequently transforming into Sherfa Lalla Laroussa ..... Amira Lalla Salma. The Colors are also part of the traditional custom, they ward off the Evil Eye.

Hope this helps :flowers::flowers::flowers:

Hope this helps

Is that Lalla Salma covered up in the green and silver blanket on post #7 the second picture down? And does anyone know why she is covered? A custom maybe?:confused:

Hi Lobo!

Lalla is an ancient name of Amazighy (aka Saharan) origin taken from the Amazighy Language called Tamazight to mean Lady.

Lalla: Literally means Lady but when used in Royal Circles the term means The Noble Princess. Also when used by a person not of royal birth it means: Noble Lady.

Sherifa: (Older than the term Lalla) This term when solely used in the Cultural sense, refers to the Ancient Saharan Sherifi Dynasty from which all Ancient Saharan Kingdoms (including the Alaouites of Morocco) descended from. This term is taken to mean The Honorable. In addition when used solely as a Title, means The Honorable Prince(ss).

However when not used in the cultural sense, the term carries a negative connotation.

Moulay: Emperor, later they started to use the term Moulay Al-Sultan to demonstrate the merging of both African and Arab Cultures. Post Arab and Trans-Saharan wars.

What Lalla means?

Great Royal Weddings: King Mohammed VI of Morocco Marries Lalla Salma Bennani
When Morroco's King Mohammed VI married 24-year-old computer engineer Lalla (Lady) Salma Bennani in 2002, he broke royal tradition simply by publicly acknowledging his bride.
For centuries Morocco's monarchs, including the groom's late father, King Hassan, had kept their weddings state secrets and their brides in the deep palace background. Its patriarchal monarchy has never designated queens, and somewhat dismissively referred to its past royal wives as the "mother of" a king's children.

Thanks for sharing the video. This marriage was truly impressive !

This is the first time I have visited any thread relating to the Moroccan RF. I should make a point of travelling around this forum more than I do, because there is so much fascinating information here.

I was delighted to learn about King Mohammed taking a stand for women's rights by publicly acknowledging his wife the way he has, and giving her a public role. Yay for him! :clap:

And Princess Lalla Salma is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom