King Carl Gustaf of Sweden and Silvia Sommerlath: June 19, 1976

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you so much Josefine for posting the video - it was amazing to watch such clear footage of Carl Gustaf and Silvia at their wedding all those years ago and to see how the day unfolded with the celebrations and trip on the royal barge! The wedding was so festive with such lovely traditional music being played wherever the couple went that day. I have a feeling that Victoria and Daniel's wedding will be quite similar!

Photos:
Sjöberg Bild

Christian Dior is known from timeless elegance, maybe that was just what Silvia wanted to show.

Some photos from the wedding:
Hela Gotland

Here you can see the whole wedding number of Expressen 1976
Expressen

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice wedding, but the dress was awfully boring! I've always wondered why she picked such a dress. I like the romantic glance she gave the King at the reception.

What does Carl Gustaf say near the end of his speech from the balcony in the first video that gets all the laughter and applause?

He says that he´s speaking for his wife. I think that Silvia instrukted him what to say

I saw the wedding yesterday when i got the dvd The Royal family 1976 - 2009 part 1 from Lovefilm. IMHO Victorias wedding was less stiff and she and Daniel werent so uptight as the king was when he married. The crowds were visible smaller during the cortege and the boatride. When the Katarina elevator and Slussen came into wiev the bridge was empty, during Victoria and Daniels boatride the bridge was packed with people.

Silvia never got to be a princess she became a queen 'right off the bat'?

Silvia never got to be a princess she became a queen 'right off the bat'?
How could she become a Princess by marrying a King?
Of course she became Queen Consort upon marriage to King Carl Gustaf... like Queen Fabiola of Belgium by the way, the last one to marry a reigning monarch before Silvia, if I'm not mistaken.

How could she become a Princess by marrying a King?
Of course she became Queen Consort upon marriage to King Carl Gustaf... like Queen Fabiola of Belgium by the way, the last one to marry a reigning monarch before Silvia, if I'm not mistaken.
You have forgot Queen Anne-Marie. And actually the King of the Belgians has among his titles also Prince of Belgium so i think Fabiola became Queen of the Belgians and Princess of Belgium after her Wedding.

Thank you Stefan, I had forgotten about Queen Anne-Marie indeed.

Jewelry for CG-Silvia wedding

I know that the only notable jewels from the 1976 wedding of CG-Silvia was the cameo tiara, as the dress code was long gowns with hats.

I have seen pictures of Silvia from the pre-wedding concert where ABBA performed. I believe this is the first occasion she wore a tiara, Princess Sibylla's tiara which now belongs to King Carl Gustaf.

Are there any pictures of the guests from the wedding? Which royal guests attended and did they wear tiaras? Did the King's sisters wear any of the Swedish royal jewelry?

Thanks in advance for any information, posts, or links.

Rascal

Yes at the Royal Opera Gala all of the Kings sisters wore Jewellry. Princess Birgitta the leuchtenberg sapphires, Princess Margaretha the nine pronge tiara and the amethyst necklace, Princess Désirée i believe her own diamond tiara and Priricess Christina the four button tiara. Other Jewels i remeber where then Crown Pricness Sonja with the emeralds. Somewhere
there is a photo from the Guests in the Opera but the Qualitiy is not the best.

Thanks for the reply, Stefan. One of the reasons I asked was in regards to Princess Lilian, then still Lilian Davies, the long-time companion of Prince Bertil.

I don't recall any photographs of her attending CG & Silvia's wedding, even though she was prominently pictured wearing the Laurel Tiara at Princess Christina's wedding two years prior.

Since I haven't seen any pics of her from the wedding, I wondered did she attend and also if she attended the pre-wedding concert?

Yes at the Royal Opera Gala all of the Kings sisters wore Jewellry. Princess Birgitta the leuchtenberg sapphires, Princess Margaretha the nine pronge tiara and the amethyst necklace, Princess Désirée i believe her own diamond tiara and Priricess Christina the four button tiara. Other Jewels i remeber where then Crown Pricness Sonja with the emeralds. Somewhere
there is a photo from the Guests in the Opera but the Qualitiy is not the best.

In one of my books from the wedding 1976 there are some pictures from the opera and the dinner att Drottningholm (in black and white) and Desiree wore the pink topaz necklace (+ earrings I think but its hard to see) and the Baden Fringe tiara. Margaretha + Birgitta wore the jewels Stefan mentioned abowe:previous: and Christina wore the processional jewels necklace (and four rosettes tiara) and Lilian Craig wore the diamond Laurel Leaf tiara together with a pearl collar (in princess Diana style If you know what i mean ;) )
Silvia Sommerlath also (apart from the tiara) wore a loooooooong diamond necklace.... or maybe its two, one short and one long.... :)

Don't like her dress at all.It's very dated and boring.The only thing I liked was the tiara.

I wonder if Victoria looked at her mothers dress and tried to update it for herself. I have always find Victoria's wedding dress pretty but not too impressive. Silivia's dress is just downright boring and rather...(i hate to say it) ugly. Even for the 70s it is just not impressive. For some reason it reminds me of a hospital gown.
Surprisingly, the dress looks better on display than it does on the big day in 1976 and I can't figure out why.

The postcards are wonderful!:) Are they your collection of postcards, LadyFinn?

No, I just happened to find them while searching postcard from royals from internet.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Queen Silvia's Gown

This has got to be one of my least favorite royal wedding dresses. I like simple wedding dresses but, this is just too simple. It's very unflattering, shapeless, plain, and ill-fitting. This does not look like a Dior gown at all. The only things that I like about the look are the tiara and veil.

Here is photo I have never seen:

Pic

Photo gallery
Wedding Day of King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden | Facebook

Part of the group photo
https://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws.com/4b6cd80eb1df11e2a52322000a9e02f9_7.jpg

The swedish royal court has put a 25-minute video of the wedding to their Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIs-KstpMHI&list=UUZPxZX-eRWxvEt2n65UstOA

Princesses Birgitta, Desirée and Christina with queen Margrethe at the wedding
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

The wedding group photo at a cookie box
https://instagram.com/p/33K54VLKT_/?taken-by=retrolyckan

Today, on their 40th wedding anniversary, the royal court has put a link to the video of the highlights of the king and queen's wedding to their Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset

And a photo to court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BG00r45v8lX/?taken-by=kungahuset

That pic ROCKS, IloveCP, and thanks so much!

Bless her heart . . .

Queen Silvia was --- and IS --- a lovely, LOVELY lady!

But her wedding dress?

Plain as poundcake.

Oh, well, at least she didn't pull a Mabel!

Back
Top Bottom