The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Today, on their 40th wedding anniversary, the royal court has put a link to the video of the highlights of the king and queen's wedding to their Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Kungahuset

And a photo to court Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/BG00r45v...-by=kungahuset
Beautiful. I loved watching the wedding again. Queen Silvia is such a classy lady. She is a pleasure to watch.

BTW Does anyone know why Silvia did not enter the church with her father? Was it because she was marrying a reigning monarch? I have never thought to ask before, oddly enough, but watching this time it struck me.

It was charming to see the older gentleman - Prince Bertil, I believe - come to the rescue and adjust Silvia's train when she was walking out.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

BTW Does anyone know why Silvia did not enter the church with her father? Was it because she was marrying a reigning monarch? I have never thought to ask before, oddly enough, but watching this time it struck me.
That is tzhe tradition in the swedish protestant Church that the bridal Couple walks in together. Before Victoria's Wedding there was a huge discussion as the Church thought she and Daniel should walk in together. Therefore a compromiss was reached and half the way in the Church Daniel waited for her and they walked the last part together.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Stefan. Not anything I had ever noticed before.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Beautiful. I loved watching the wedding again. Queen Silvia is such a classy lady. She is a pleasure to watch.

It was charming to see the older gentleman - Prince Bertil, I believe - come to the rescue and adjust Silvia's train when she was walking out.
I agree. It was a lovely ceremony. So funny to see the King try to gently push James Ambler and have him and Amelie Middelschulte walk faster. He has said later that the children walked so slowly that he didn't thought they would reach the altar until the processional music was over but they precisely did :-D

How nice to see Queen Silvias paternal uncle being one of the assisting priests. I also liked that they choosed traditional organ music as processional and ressecional music.

The man in morning dress helping out with the train came from where Silvias brothers sat so i think it was one of them.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Helvin View Post
Not one of my favourite wedding dresses, this one. Why couldn't she have just let her train trail down the steps as Diana did at her wedding?

Like her two daughters, and her daughter in law in recent years. This is not one of my favorites either, as it was very understated for a queenly wedding gown.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Nobility

Still no love for Silvia's wedding dress. But it was so lovely to see the smiles on their faces as they made their way down the aisle. Young Carl Gustaf was a handsome devil, and we can see that Victoria is nearly a clone of her mother.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:50 PM
Courtier

King Carl Gustaf & Silvia Sommerlath - June 19th 1976

OMG I totally forgot it was their 40th anniversary on Sunday! My parents will be married 40 years on August 21st; two months from tomorrow. They don't want a big party like my dad's sister and her husband had for their 40th just about two years ago; they had a sit-down dinner party with all their family and friends at a local Italian restaurant with a then-and-now photo board and a guest book. (Their youngest son's wife is Italian, and they go there all the time.)

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community
Old 06-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
I agree. It was a lovely ceremony. So funny to see the King try to gently push James Ambler and have him and Amelie Middelschulte walk faster. He has said later that the children walked so slowly that he didn't thought they would reach the altar until the processional music was over but they precisely did :-D

How nice to see Queen Silvias paternal uncle being one of the assisting priests. I also liked that they choosed traditional organ music as processional and ressecional music.

The man in morning dress helping out with the train came from where Silvias brothers sat so i think it was one of them.
Thank you, Hans-Rickard, for the information.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Majesty

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Wedding of the Day: June 28

This is one of least favorite royal wedding gowns. It's very boring, forgettable, and ill fitting. Her veil and tiara were remarkable however.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Wedding of the Day: June 28

This is one of least favorite royal wedding gowns. It's very boring, forgettable, and ill fitting. Her veil and tiara were remarkable however.
There were moments when the dress looked stunning:

http://svspb.net/images/foto/kf/s/si...i-gustaf-3.jpg
Old 07-02-2016, 02:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

For me it was a remarkable wedding. It was as simple and quiet as one could have it, given he was a King and she became a Queen in that moment. The simplicity of her dress was just part of it. Coming out of that doorway, they could have been any couple imo. I love it, every detail.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I had never watched the ceremony before, I have to admit it, but I have decided to watch the summary video that the royal court uploaded on theri youtube channel. It did seemed as a cute and lovely wedding, but I was left a bit puzzled as to why there wasn't much empathy or many PDA from the couple. I don't know, maybe it was the time and the environment that wasn't so laid back as today, but I was a bit dissappointed. (Not that I had expected a kiss or something, but just some kind of affectionate guestures either coming from CG or Silvia).
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think Silvia's wedding dress was beautiful and simple and the bridesmaid's floral crowns were cute, too. Looking at old video clips, it seems that there was a warm atmosphere at the wedding and the public appeared to rather jubilant. I think Silvia also looks almost identical to Victoria in the wedding photos, their resemblance is quite remarkable!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I had never watched the ceremony before, I have to admit it, but I have decided to watch the summary video that the royal court uploaded on theri youtube channel. It did seemed as a cute and lovely wedding, but I was left a bit puzzled as to why there wasn't much empathy or many PDA from the couple. I don't know, maybe it was the time and the environment that wasn't so laid back as today, but I was a bit dissappointed. (Not that I had expected a kiss or something, but just some kind of affectionate guestures either coming from CG or Silvia).
I see love shimmering in every glance, especially from Silvia as she says her vows. So beautiful. I have been smitten with her since a child. For me she was the one-and-only royal of any note.

Carl Gustav is brusque, it is true. Not quite 'in the moment'. He has always been that, but he is clearly in love with her. Proud of her. Delighted with her. I see it. It's very charming.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I see love shimmering in every glance, especially from Silvia as she says her vows. So beautiful. I have been smitten with her since a child. For me she was the one-and-only royal of any note.

Carl Gustav is brusque, it is true. Not quite 'in the moment'. He has always been that, but he is clearly in love with her. Proud of her. Delighted with her. I see it. It's very charming.
I know what you mean, because that's what I see in Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip every time I see them, for example. They have rarely been touching in public, and yet their mutual love shine through nontheless.

But I disagree on Silvia and CG. It's fine, I think it's just a matter of personal feelings or approach at things, but I only saw two people disconnected wth each other-not unhappy- only disconnected and like the wedding was more like a state business than a love union.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's really nothing good I can say about her wedding dress. The dresses of the Swedish royal brides are very dissapponting.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012

Tags
king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia, silvia sommerlath, stockholm, wedding