The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Nobility

With so much attention on the upcoming weddings of the Swedish princesses, there has been speculation of where Madeleine's wedding will be held while it seems general consensus that Victoria will be married in Storkyrkan Cathedral. Why is Vic's wedding relegated to this cathedral? Is it because of history? Because it is in the capital? Because it is the largest? (Personally I think that Uppsala has a more attractive interior)

Also when looking back at the last royal wedding in Storkyrkan (Carl Gustaf & Silvia), it's hard to tell from pictures but it seems like there are rows of seating behind the columns on either side of the altar as well as the rows facing the altar on either side of the main aisle. Can anyone confirm this?

I've looked everywhere I can find about the seating capacity or general floor plan Storkyrkan and can't find anything. Does anyone know how many people the cathedral holds normally and how many for high profile events like a royal wedding?

Thanks for any help on these questions!

Sorry, I forgot to ask about the number of guests who actually attended CG & Silvia's wedding. There is pretty good documentation of the higher-ranking royals attending and some of the less prominent royals can be spotted in some of the pictures. But the presidents of Nordic/Scandinavian countries were included in some of the pictures, which made me wonder about other presidents and prime ministers as guests. For example, did Germany or Brazil send any official representatives (were they invited?)

Also, anyone who is well-versed in protocol & order of precedence might be able to answer this - It appears that monarchs were seated on the groom's side and royal heirs were seated on the bride's side behind her family. If Silvia had a larger family would the heirs have been moved?

What about members of the Riksdag? Were they invited? If they attended, where would they have been seated? In terms of protocol & precedence, in the main seating gallery who would be seated first row, second row, etc. if the guests included royals who were not heirs or monarchs, royals from non-reigning families, heads of state/representatives from other countries, representatives from the Swedish government, friends of CG & Silvia who were neither royal nor members of parliament?

Sorry, about all the questions, but I've been in this thought stream about the Mashall of the Realm or whoever it is that has to plan for the upcoming weddings. I bet they need a vacation after the 2010 weddings are done!

Rascal

Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

As for Victorias Wedding it was already officially announced that the Wedding will take place at the Cathedral of Stockholm. I think most monarchs who married in Sweden married in this Church so it is the tradtional Wedding Church.
As for Presidents who attended Germany was represented by the then german Bundespräsident Walter Scheel and his wife Mildred. Also the Presidents of iceland and Finaldn attended. The where seated between the other royal Guests in the Church.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Courtier

At the wedding between the King and Silvia Sommerlath there where about 1200 guests in Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral) and the church was more then full. There are rows of seats on either side of the aisle but not at the side of the altar - there are a small chapel on one side and the statue of St George and the dragon on the other side.
Here´s a link to a picture of the interior from wikipedia
Fil:Stockholm-Storkyrkan 02.jpg - Wikipedia
Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Nobility

Thanks for the response, rop81. I really appreciate it. I can only assume from your information and the pictures of the 1976 wedding that the guests I thought were on the side were seated in the chapel (?) and that the section with the large statue was behind the press corps scaffold on the other side. Your info has helped clear up a lot. Thanks again!

Rascal
Old 10-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN View Post
Would you please tell me who are the people in this picture please?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Gentry

The pair is Silvia's brother Ralf Sommerlath and his wife. I think her name is Simone.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Commoner

All of the wedding pictures are excellent. Most of the pictures accessible on the internet were either too small in size or blurry to actually capture the moment and enjoy. Thank you for sharing these pictures "STEVEN."
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Gentry

which was the theatre where Abba performed to King C-G and his fiancee?
Old 10-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Abba took part in celebrating the wedding at the Royal Opera house wich lies across the water from the royal palace.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Majesty

here is a video i have not seen before
i wonder if victroria or daniel will speak to the public on thier wedding day

video from the lunch and also bertils speeach

svt has started a series with the name the royal wedding
here is the first part of 15
a lot of video from carl gustafs and silvias wedding
Det kungliga bröllopet | SVT Play
Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you so much Josefine for posting the video - it was amazing to watch such clear footage of Carl Gustaf and Silvia at their wedding all those years ago and to see how the day unfolded with the celebrations and trip on the royal barge! The wedding was so festive with such lovely traditional music being played wherever the couple went that day. I have a feeling that Victoria and Daniel's wedding will be quite similar!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Nobility

http://wwwc.aftonbladet.se/ljudbilds...nodrottningen/
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 05-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Photos:
Sjöberg Bild
Old 05-13-2010, 12:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Nice wedding, but the dress was awfully boring! I've always wondered why she picked such a dress. I like the romantic glance she gave the King at the reception.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Christian Dior is known from timeless elegance, maybe that was just what Silvia wanted to show.

Some photos from the wedding:
Hela Gotland
Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Courtier

What does Carl Gustaf say near the end of his speech from the balcony in the first video that gets all the laughter and applause?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Courtier

He says that he´s speaking for his wife. I think that Silvia instrukted him what to say
Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here you can see the whole wedding number of Expressen 1976
Expressen
Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Nobility

I saw the wedding yesterday when i got the dvd The Royal family 1976 - 2009 part 1 from Lovefilm. IMHO Victorias wedding was less stiff and she and Daniel werent so uptight as the king was when he married. The crowds were visible smaller during the cortege and the boatride. When the Katarina elevator and Slussen came into wiev the bridge was empty, during Victoria and Daniels boatride the bridge was packed with people.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Majesty

was the dvd any good? is it worth the money?

Tags
king carl xvi gustav, queen silvia, silvia, silvia sommerlath, stockholm, wedding