King Baudouin I and Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón: 15 December 1960

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from hellomagazine.com

Attachments

• baudouin.jpg
    baudouin.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,321
He must have loved her very much, especially after she couldn't stay pregnant. In the most of the photos I have seen of them, he is usually looking at her and smiling.

They loved each other very much. The pain of not being able to have children brought them even closer together.

more photos from ANP

Attachments

• 1348496.jpeg
    1348496.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,084
  • 1351374.jpeg
    1351374.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 502
  • 2905084.jpeg
    2905084.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 532
  • 2907039.jpeg
    2907039.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 7,254
This was absolutely one of the most beautiul Royal weddings I have ever seen. Fabiola's dress was magnificent. I must say that this wedding, IMO, ad the best dressed guests as well. All of the guests, especially Paola, looked absolutely magnificent. I love winter weddings.

Fabiola was one of the most beautiful royal brides ever, and she and Baudouin were a real love match. She's still as elegant and classy as she was on her wedding day.

This is my first time seeing pictures of Baudouin and Fabiola's wedding. Beautiful! The bride looked every inch the classy lady she still is today!

On the balcony of the royal palace.

By her marriage Fabiola went from being an unknown Spanish aristocrat to queen of the Belgians, I think her gown was so perfect it's not a gown for a princess but for a queen.

Attachments

• Balkon.jpeg
    Balkon.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,412
A few color pictures from Isopix:

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,534
  • preview2.jpg
    preview2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 583
  • preview3.jpg
    preview3.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 585
Whenever I see photos of this wedding it reminds me of those early 20th century royal gatherings, especially with the colour photographs. With the colour photographs, the colour is not as clear as it is today and the photographs appear grainy which gives it that 'painting' feel. I find this evident especially with the colour photos that have the grand chandeliers. Even with the black and white photos, the grandeur is still there.

By the way, how do you pronounce Baudouin's name?

To me, King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola represented the epitome of elegance.

Peaches said:
Whenever I see photos of this wedding it reminds me of those early 20th century royal gatherings, especially with the colour photographs. With the colour photographs, the colour is not as clear as it is today and the photographs appear grainy which gives it that 'painting' feel. I find this evident especially with the colour photos that have the grand chandeliers. Even with the black and white photos, the grandeur is still there.

By the way, how do you pronounce Baudouin's name?

To me, King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola represented the epitome of elegance.

I agree wholeheartedly with you as well as the epitome of love. When he passed, I felt so sorry for her, and still do. But I believe that the Faith that she has in God keeps her strong for she knows that one day soon, she will see Baudouin again.

"The soul takes flight to the world that is eternal. And there arriving she is sure of bliss. And forever dwells in paradise." Plato

This was to be my actual post:

Does anyone have any photos of Princess Lillian from Baudouin and Fabiola's wedding? She was quite physically beautiful.

One of the official photos, with Baudouin's brother Albert and Fabiola's mother, the marchioness de Casariera. and on the other side : queen Elisabeth, princess Lilian, king Leopold III and princess Paola.

Attachments

• 80140.jpg
    80140.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 7,001
Last edited:
Whilst I think that Fabiola, has grace, elegance,class and charm, I don't think she is a beauty, for her the beauty was from within and that was her secret, and probably that's what the previous king was attracted to.

BTW, does anyone know how she wangled her husband away from Princess Lilian, who had a great influence on him?

Before Baudouin anounced his marriage, he hadn't told his parents (Leopold & Lilian) about Fabiola, and they were very upset about this.

Lilian and Fabiola coudn't stand each other from the start. They both had strong characters and Lilian must have been jealous of Fabiola who immediately became queen, while Lilian never got this chance.

Leopold and Lilian had to move from the castle of Laeken, where before they lived together with Baudouin, to the castle of Argenteuil. They were not at all pleased about this, because it also took their (political) influence over Baudouin away. A well known anecdote in Belgium is that when Baudouin and Fabiola came home from honeymoon, Lilian had taken all the furniture with her and they came home in a practically empty castle.

Cathérine Bergeyck said:
Fabiola wore a gorgeous dress, worthy of a queen, designed by Balenciaga. A few years ago she donated it to the Balenciaga museum in Spain.
It was Lorenzo Caprile (the same one who made the wedding dress of Infanta Cristina) the designer in charge of restoring the parts of the gown that were deteriorated by the time.

Photo from Hola:

Attachments

• fabiola-2a.jpg
    fabiola-2a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 2,739
Cathérine Bergeyck said:
A well known anecdote in Belgium is that when Baudouin and Fabiola came home from honeymoon, Lilian had taken all the furniture with her and they came home in a practically empty castle.
Really? I didn't know about that! What a joke! :p

Thanks so much Catherine. Do you have any idea who made the gorgeous dresses of Lilian and Paola?

They had no children? If my memory serves me right, I learnd in a book that Queen had miscarried before...

No, that was their big tragedy. They very much loved and wanted to have children, but weren't able to.

Queen Fabiola had several miscarriages.

Back
Top Bottom