Infanta Cristina of Spain & Iñaki Urdangarin / October 4, 1997

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still from DPA. Last one from Corbis.

Attachments

• showLayoutImageXIX.jpg
    showLayoutImageXIX.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 507
  • showLayoutImageXIII.jpg
    showLayoutImageXIII.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 475
  • showLayoutImageIII.jpg
    showLayoutImageIII.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 507
  • showLayoutImageXXIII.jpg
    showLayoutImageXXIII.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,586
  • showLayoutImageXV.jpg
    showLayoutImageXV.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,711
  • ShowCorbisI.jpg
    ShowCorbisI.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,919
Moonlightrhapsody said:
Could be, Cristina and Theodora are first cousins...

It is Theodora. I saw the ictures a long time ago in a danish magazine, but who are the other bridemaids?

Photos from Starface:

Attachments

• C8.JPG
    C8.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 3,953
  • C7.JPG
    C7.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 399
  • C6.JPG
    C6.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 389
  • C4.JPG
    C4.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 406
  • C2.JPG
    C2.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 478
  • C3.JPG
    C3.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 405
  • C1.JPG
    C1.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 6,834
  • C5.JPG
    C5.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 654
More photos, from DPA:

Attachments

• 003501_4.JPG
    003501_4.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,801
  • 002001_4.JPG
    002001_4.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 481
  • 005601_4.JPG
    005601_4.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 496
  • 004401_4.JPG
    004401_4.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 004501_4.JPG
    004501_4.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 006601_4.JPG
    006601_4.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 548
  • 004601_4.JPG
    004601_4.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 004901_4.JPG
    004901_4.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 477
  • 005701_4.JPG
    005701_4.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 652
More photos of the guests:

1. Adam and Maria of Liechtenstein;
2. Royals of Cambodia, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Iran;
3. Carlos de Borbón Dos-Sicilias and wife;
4. Dukes of Luxembourg;
5. Edward of United Kingdom;
6. Phillipp of Belgium with Henri and Maria Teresa of Luxembourg;
7. Maria and Leonida of Russia;
8. Harald and Sonja of Norway;
9. Phillipp of Belgium with Henri and Maria Teresa of Luxembourg.

Photos from Cover:

Attachments

• ADAM Y MARIA DE LIECHTENSTEIN.jpg
    ADAM Y MARIA DE LIECHTENSTEIN.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • CAMBOYA , EMIRATOS ARABES - ARABIA SAUDI - IRAN.jpg
    CAMBOYA , EMIRATOS ARABES - ARABIA SAUDI - IRAN.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 555
  • CARLOS DE BORBON DOS-SICILIAS Y ANA DE FRANCIA.jpg
    CARLOS DE BORBON DOS-SICILIAS Y ANA DE FRANCIA.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 512
  • DUQUES DE LUXEMBURGO.jpg
    DUQUES DE LUXEMBURGO.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 796
  • EDUARDO DE INGLATERRA.jpg
    EDUARDO DE INGLATERRA.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 538
  • FELIPE DE BELGICA  CON HENRI Y MARIA TERESA DE LUXEMBURGO.jpg
    FELIPE DE BELGICA CON HENRI Y MARIA TERESA DE LUXEMBURGO.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 642
  • GRAN DUQUESA MARIA DE RUSIA Y PRINCESA LEONIDA CAMINAN.jpg
    GRAN DUQUESA MARIA DE RUSIA Y PRINCESA LEONIDA CAMINAN.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 594
  • HARALD Y SONIA DE NORUEGA.jpg
    HARALD Y SONIA DE NORUEGA.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 387
  • MARIA TERESA CON ENRIQUE DE LUXEMBURGO Y FELIPE DE BELGICA.jpg
    MARIA TERESA CON ENRIQUE DE LUXEMBURGO Y FELIPE DE BELGICA.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,086
Last edited:
A few more guests; photos from Cover:

1-2. royals of Japan;
3-4 Kubrat of Bulgaria and Carla Royo;
5. Noor of Jordan;
6. Karl Gustav and Silvia of Sweeden;
7. Sofia of Habsburg and Mariano Graetz;
8. Victoria and Pedro de Borbón Dos-Sicilias.

Attachments

• JAPON.jpg
    JAPON.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 516
  • JAPON2.jpg
    JAPON2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 427
  • KUBRAT DE BULGARIA Y CARLA ROYO.jpg
    KUBRAT DE BULGARIA Y CARLA ROYO.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 404
  • KUBRAT Y CARLA ROYO DE BULGARIA.jpg
    KUBRAT Y CARLA ROYO DE BULGARIA.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 451
  • REINA NOOR.jpg
    REINA NOOR.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 462
  • REYES DE SUECIA.jpg
    REYES DE SUECIA.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 621
  • SOFIA DE HABSBURGO Y MARIANO GRAETZ.jpg
    SOFIA DE HABSBURGO Y MARIANO GRAETZ.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 549
  • VICTORIA Y PEDRO DE BORBON DOS-SICILIAS.jpg
    VICTORIA Y PEDRO DE BORBON DOS-SICILIAS.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:
Elsa M. said:
A few more guests; photos from Cover:

5. Martha Louise and Ari Behn;
Sorry, but that is not Ari Behn with Märtha Louise. They didn't meet until 1999-2000 and they were married May 24, 2002.

I completely agree with you all: Christina made a <fantastic> royal bride.

In fact, looking back, in my opinion her dress really really stood the test of time very well so to speak. Plus, in my opinion, between Letizia, Elena, and her, I think she made the best, most pretty bride.

Why? Because, when you see these pictures, you (well at least I) think: "Now <that> is how <I> would want to look like if I were marrying a royal.

Versus, when I saw pictures of Letizia as a bride, my first thoughts were:
--Where <is> the bride? I see a dress, but no bride!
and
--the dress looked like one of Letizia's pant suits, but then one with a longer skirt!

And with Elena, I just thought:
--mmmmmm, mwaw. Lukewarm. OK bride in every way, but no "wow" reaction from me. Even though her dress was better than Letizia imo.

Mandy said:
Sorry, but that is not Ari Behn with Märtha Louise. They didn't meet until 1999-2000 and they were married May 24, 2002.
Thanks, I was not sure about that, but I ended up trusting what the photo legend was saying... I'll delete it now ;)

I read in a book, that both Theodora and Alexia were the bridemaides. But I don't think so, Theodora, yes, but Alexia, not.

The other bridesmaid is a niece of Iñaki Urdangarín

A few more photos from SeegerPress:

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00007822.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007822.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 587
  • pre-SEEGER00007823.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007823.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 455
  • pre-SEEGER00007875.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007875.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 5,670
  • pre-SEEGER00007877.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007877.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 509
  • pre-SEEGER00007856.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007856.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,544
  • pre-SEEGER00007866.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007866.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 464
  • pre-SEEGER00007832.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007832.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 461
  • pre-SEEGER00007829.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00007829.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 672
http://www.analitica.com/archivo/vam1997.11/semana/sem2/articulo10.htm

By Màrius Carol, from La Vanguardia de Barcelona

More than 200.000 Barcelonans have spontaneously expressed their affection to Infanta Cristina, while the ceremony was attended by 1.500 guests, among members of royal houses, representatives of the State and civil society.

The solemnity and simplicity characterized both the ceremony and the stroll by the decorated streets of the Catalan capital, which was followed by 1.000.000.000 people throughout the world. Discretion and sobriety were the common denominator of a day, when the bride paid homage to her city, by the modernist embroidering on the train of her wedding gown, which seemed to reflect the ceramics of the house of Batlló, at the sidewalk of Gràcia, through which the couple have strolled on board of a Rolls Royce, way to the Palace of Pedralbes.

Infanta Cristina punctually arrived at the altar at 11 o’clock in the morning. At 11:30, the couple answered the traditional "I do" to the question of the cardinal archbishop of Barcelona, Ricard Maria Carles, who pronounced the sentence according to which what God united, Man would not separate. This way, Cristina de Borbón and Iñaki Urdangarin became husband and wife, before the eyes of 1.000.000.000 people, who followed the ceremony on T.V..

The day had begun at 9:00 o’clock in the morning, when the first guests started arriving. At the first row, destined to the royalty, the protocol established the seats of the kings of Norway, Sweden, Lesotho and the queen of Jordan. Immediately behind them, there were the Grand duchess of Luxembourg, the princes of Liechtenstein, the great master of the Order of Malta and the prince of Monaco. At the third row, there were the heirs of Monaco, Jordan, Sweden, Belgium and Denmark. The witnesses (who were seated between the area of the royalty and the one destined to the main Spanish authorities) were played by Alexia of Greece, prince Kubrat of Bulgaria, Cristina de Borbón Dos-Sicilias, Victoria Fumadó, Carlos García Revenga, Roberto Molina, Ana Perez, Fernando Barbeito, David Barrufet, José Esteve, Ramón Esteve, José Montero, Jordi Pujol Xicoy and Jaume Reguant. Although occupying their seats among the family, prince Felipe, infanta Elena, her husband, Jaime de Marichalar, as well as Miguel, Ana and Lucia Urdangarin were also witnesses .

At 10:30 a.m., the Prime Minister José Maria Aznar arrived and ,ten minutes after him, the groom arrived, by the arm of his mother, Clara Liebert, who was dressed in a two pieces of hazel colour. The avenue of the Cathedral vibrated then with a warm applause. While waiting, the groom showed his seriousness in front of the altar, talking with his parents and dominating the scene.

At 10:45 a.m., it was the time to prince Felipe (who was dressed in an uniform of lieutenant) arriving by the arm of the Queen, who wore a two pieces with a matching hat in pale lilac. Infanta Elena took a pink suit with embroiders and a great hat that hided her eyes. Three minutes afterwards, the cardinal made his entrance by the door of the cloister. Then, at 10:55 the courtship formed by the Dukes of Badajoz, followed by infanta Pilar and her son Juan Gómez-Acebo arrived; then, there were the Dukes of Lugo and finally the Queen, by the arm of the Prince.

The Rolls Royce carrying the bride and the King stopped then in front of the Pia Almonia and the Infanta appeared radiating and splendid, with a gorgeous gown with a train of 3,25 meters long, with embroidered modernist drawings in silver thread. The off-the-shoulders dress was made by Lorenzo Caprile. The tiara, made of gold, silver and diamonds, belonged to her mother the Queen, while the earrings belonged to Queen Victoria Eugenia. Six godchildren of the bride and groom, along with Theodora of Greece and Lucia Gui Urdangarin, helped then the bride with the train of the gown.

Punctually at 11:00 o’clock the courtship entered in the cathedral. As soon as the Infanta arrived at the altar, she received a kiss from the groom.

Before the rite of the marriage, cardinal Carles read a homily in which he emphasized that the bride and groom were a reference for many families. In this sense, he encouraged them to make their love visible. Speaking both in Castilian and Catalan, the cardinal valued the simplicity and discretion of the couple, which was visible two weeks before, at the funeral of Mother Teresa of Calcuta. Finally, and before formulating the vows, Infanta Cristina asked for the authorization of H.M. the King, who answered with an affirmative gesture (a protocol request that was not observed in Seville, when Infanta Elena forgot it, due to nervousness). The interchange of the rings was an exciting moment, while the face of the King reflected his joy better than what any word could tell. Urdangarin did not follow the Catalan tradition, and put the ring on his right hand.

After the mass, it was played "Aleluya" of Häendel.

The exit off the cathedral was accompanied by the applause to the Kings and Prince Felipe. Besides, also the names of Albert of Monaco, Phillipp of Belgium and Victoria of Sweden were shouted.

Last edited:
A few more photos, from Olycom:

Attachments

• 000001w.jpg
    000001w.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 928
  • 000002w.jpg
    000002w.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 858
  • 000003w.jpg
    000003w.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 488
  • 000005w.jpg
    000005w.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 975
From El Periodico:

Attachments

• foto_2038.jpg
    foto_2038.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 502
Elsa M. said:
From El Periodico:

I remember watching Cristina and Iñaki's wedding on TV and Infanta Elena was in such bad humour that you could feel it. In this pic she looks like she is hidding under the hat.:D
I must have a look at this issue of Hola (with Cristina's wedding) to see if there are photos that hasn't been posted before.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

mtbcm said:
In this pic she looks like she is hidding under the hat.
Well, according to my own theory, all hats prove to be a mistake...:rolleyes:
I must have a look at this issue of Hola (with Cristina's wedding) to see if there are photos that hasn't been posted before.
Oh, yes, do that, please! Cristina's wedding gown is my all times favourite:)

Four days before the wedding Cristina and Iñaki received the “arras” that would be used at their wedding. The “arras” have in one side the King’s face and in the other Madrid Royal Theatre.

source: Hola magazine

Last edited:
The day before the wedding Infanta Doña Cristina and her fiancé Don Iñaki Undangarín welcomed the City Hall Mayor and Members at Palace of Albéniz. The City Hall offered them a sculpture in bronze by Apel.les Fenosa, called “Nu del Mirall”.

Last edited:
Infanta Cristina was really radiant on her wedding day... I can easily understand, I would be the same if I was indeed marrying a man like Don Inaki:p !
Very nice dress, and her train is one of my favorite! (for example, I liked CP Mary's dress, but not the train...)

Later they had lunch with President Jordi Pujol who offered them a necklace in gold and diamonds by Puig Doria Jewelers symbolizing youth, sports and the Mediterranean. Also, they were offered a facsimile edition of “Libre d’hores de María de Navarra”.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Mtbcm, for posting the most wonderful pictures, many of which I haven't seen before.

Wedding Guests arriving

Back
Top Bottom