HGD Henri of Luxembourg and María Teresa Mestre y Batista: February 14, 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks like Henri and Maria Teresa left the cathedral by car? I thought they would have left by carriage? Is that only in some royal families?

I guess it depends what the couple wishes, but to be honest I have never seen a carriage used by the Grand Ducal Family so I'm not sure they have one that is still intact and could be used.

Oh I see, thank you! I figured they all had carriages because that's what they used before cars but like you said, they may not have them anymore or they're not in an operable state.

Is there anymore info on MT and Henri's wedding like who were their bridesmaids? Best men? Did they have a brunch or a dinner after the ceremony? Did anyone make any speeches? What was said in the civil ceremony? Are there any pictures of the civil ceremony? Did they have a first dance?

It's interesting that theres not a lot of info available on their wedding because it was so beautiful and romantic.

i loved their wedding...she looked so young and innocent and beautiful....i just didnt like the fur trimmings....

I love Maria Teresa's wedding dress! Many of the links do not work for me. Are there any other high quality pictures from the wedding? I also wonder, does anyone have any photos from the civil service and also the engagement?

What a lovely treat! Thank you :flowers:. Just to clarify, is the brown outfit the civil ceremony and the yellow the engagement?

On the side, Maria Teresa is incredibly beautiful. And she always looks so radiant and pure.

were MT known to the public before her engagment to Henri? or was she a suprice?

What a lovely treat! Thank you :flowers:. Just to clarify, is the brown outfit the civil ceremony and the yellow the engagement?

For the civil ceremony she wore the same dress that she wore in church; picture 5 is a picture of the civil wedding, it is taken inside the Palace when they signed the register.
She wore the brown outfit for the engagement (definetely) and the yellowy one when she officially arrived to Luxembourg (I think).

were MT known to the public before her engagment to Henri? or was she a suprice?

AFAIK, she came as a surprise. There might have been talk in the country that the the Hereditary Grand Duke has a girlfriend in Switzerland but certainly not like it was/is in other countries, including paparazzi pictures and gossip magazines.
It will be pretty much the same when the now Hereditary Grand Duke or his brothers or sister will get married. Nobody knew about Princess Tessy before the official announcement that she was pregnant. At the time, rumours were actually that Prince Felix would be the father of a child out of wedlock and not Prince Louis.

For some reason, I had it in my head that the civil ceremony took place a week before the religious wedding, so thank you, Saschana, for clearing the air.

I think that was the case for Henri's brother Guillaume and his wife Sibilla. They had a week or two between the civil and the religious ceremony.

Their son had a separate civil and religious ceremony when marrying Tessy, didn't he? In countries where a religious wedding is not recognized on its own it seems there is no common practice among the royals. I wonder why some couples, like Henri and Maria Teresa as well William-Alexander and Maxima, choose to have the civil and religious ceremonies on the same day while others couples, like Albert and Charlene as well as the other Dutch royals, have separate 'weddings.'

For a bride with two ceremonies on the one day, her dress stood up well! Has it ever been on display?

As Maria Teresa was a 'surprise' bride, is it known how long she and Henri were friends and/or courting before the engagement was announced?

You are right PrincessApple. Louis and Tessy also had a civil wedding on a seperate day.

As far as I know, they first met in 1976 when they started to attend University in Switzerland. Of course I don't know when they staretd to be romantically involved.

You are right PrincessApple. Louis and Tessy also had a civil wedding on a seperate day.
Louis and Tessy had their civil Wedding in the morning and the religious in the afternoon. For Henri and Maria Teresa and also Margaretha and Nikolaus and Marie Astrid and Carl Christian the civil Wedding was in the morning at the Grand Ducal Palace folowed by the religious marriage.

Thanks for the info Stefan. I always thought they got married civilly the day before their religious wedding.

As far as I know, they first met in 1976 when they started to attend University in Switzerland. Of course I don't know when they staretd to be romantically involved.

It seems that, overall, the Luxembourg royals are the embodiment of the air of mystery surrounding royalty! Whether they foster this or it is simply due to less media coverage, I don't know.

Winter does seem like a strange choice for a wedding of more senior royals as, I would think, smaller crowds would gather...it would be more low key where the public is concerned.

And thanks to those who provided information about Tessy's wedding.

Do the Luxembourgs do why tie and tiara events/celebrations/parties for their weddings or is all just mourning coats and day dresses like at the actual wedding? Basically do their celebrations mirror those in London or in Copenhagen?

In London, jackets+hats. Similar rules are in Belgium and Netherlands.

Was Henri and Maria Teresa's civil wedding held first, before the religious ceremony? If so, I am surprised that Henri got to see Maria Teresa in her wedding gown before the church wedding. In the case of Prince Louis and Tessy, they wore "street" clothes at the civil ceremony and not their formal wedding attire worn in the church.

Henri and Maria Teresa's civil wedding was held first before the religious wedding. I much prefer the wedding itinerary for Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding with the civil wedding on one day and the religious wedding for the next day. There's something romantic about a groom looking behind him to see his bride in her wedding dress for the very first time.

Was Henri and Maria Teresa's civil wedding held first, before the religious ceremony? If so, I am surprised that Henri got to see Maria Teresa in her wedding gown before the church wedding. In the case of Prince Louis and Tessy, they wore "street" clothes at the civil ceremony and not their formal wedding attire worn in the church.

Civil weddings always take place before the religious ceremony. It is a legal requirement and also the only legal wedding.

Winter does seem like a strange choice for a wedding of more senior royals as, I would think, smaller crowds would gather...it would be more low key where the public is concerned.
There have been several winter weddings in the Belgian and Luxembourg royal families, princess Astrid of Sweden and prince Leopold of Belgium married November 4, 1926 in Stockholm and November 10, 1926 in Brüssels, king Baudouin of Belgium married Fabiola de Mora y Aragón on December 15, 1960, and grand duke Henri's sisters got married in February and March 1982.

I have seen old newsreel tape of the Baudouin/Fabiola nuptials and I must say that even though that wedding took place in what looked like freezing temperatures in mid-December, the streets were jam packed with dense and cheering crowds.

Apparently they had begun gathering well before dawn and stayed in the streets throughout the day, cheering the bridal couple on their way to the Cathedral, waiting for them to emerge for the drive back to the Palace, and waiting for the King and the new Queen to emerge onto the balcony where white doves were released.

This all took place over a period of 6-7 hrs and yet the crowds remained immense and delirious. I'm always amazed watching clips of that wedding. :wub:

i think it should be the same this time, since civil and religious services happen at different days.

It was before the reilgious ceremony because is has to be because of the laws. And there was only a short time between the 2 ceremonies because the religous one started only a short time after the cibvil one. So not time to cahnge clothes. It was the same for Marie Astrid and Carl Christian and Margaretha and Nikolaus.
Also at Wedding in the belgian royal family it is done like this.

I love the fur on her dress but I hope it was fake fur. I love wild bunnies and I would not like to think of them contributing their fur to her dress.

Such a sad story on this thread of Josephine-Charlotte not being able to marry whom she loved. Why did they force her to marry a royal person, when she was not even an heiress to the throne of Belgium?

Back
Top Bottom