The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 8th, 2003 - 11:25 am
One impression I have gained over the last while, is a shifting in the level of the plateau's played out between the Queen and the Crown Prince. It seems to me that the CP's star has risen (and might rise more?), and further it seems to me that the Queen is not altogether overjoyed by this.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CP is already ahead of the Queen in this mindgame, and by his demeanour today, is giving his visual support to Mary in her forthcoming role (of subservience/mastery) to the Queen.
You have some interesting insights, and it seems you're not overly fond of Queen M. I can't tell from her pictures, but she looks harmless enough -- I mean she doesn't look like you describe.

OTOH, I can imagine Prince Henrik as being more competitive with and ready to undercut his son's rising star if possible.

It's a mystery to me, but I know one thing for sure, I don't envy Mary. What a nightmarish loss of privacy.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:28 PM
Commoner

Mary's hair looks like J.LO's up-do in Maid in Manhattan. I think she looked nice, not sure I liked the necklace with that dress though. Don't we all remember Diana's first party dress, that black one that she about fell out of? Let's give the girl a chance.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Royal Highness

Congrats to Frederik and Mary!

Although I am not so fond of her still, I am happy that Frederik is complete with her. I hope that she becomes the woman that she should instead of some rude, I cant do this Princess thing, snobby you know.

As for my comments on the dress, yes it was her night, but, that style dress on her didn't look so stunning....

HOW WAS HER DANISH?

chanel
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Frederik's aunts, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne Marie arriving for the banquet dinner.

www.polfoto.dk

Old 10-08-2003, 10:31 PM
Royal Highness

Gala Dinner

Part II

www.ibl.se

Pics 4&5: www.hellomagazine.com
Pic 6: www.corbis.com (Originally posted by Jun5)
Pics 7&8: www.nunn-syndication.com (Originally posted by Alexandria)

Old 10-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Royal Highness

You know what would have looked really elegant on Mary? A black or navy crepe gown either w/ a square-neckline and sleeves (a la' Mette-Marit's wedding gown...the neckline that is) or a sleeveless gown to show-off the necklace.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it too much skin that many people object to with Mary's choice of gown for this gala dinner? Too much skin too soon? Perhaps at her official presenation gala dinner Mary should've covered up a bit more?

Can't remember what Mette-Marit wore to her dinner, but Mathilde wore a short (surprisingly&#33 navy dress (crepe or velevet) with capped sleeves. Maxima wore a gorgeous dark strapless gown with a lace overlay - sexy but covered up.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Royal Highness

I think it's the cut of the dress. I think another cut would have been more elegant. She still looked very glamorous, though.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Heir Apparent

As a summary of this day for me, I have to say that I liked both of Mary's outfits today, from the suit on the balcony to the gown at the gala dinner.

My only disappointment was with Mary's hairstyles and the jewellery for the gala dinner. But, live and learn, right? This was Mary's first time out of the royal gates so to speak. In time she'll (hopefully) improve her sense of style and what kind of hair is flattering with what outfits and what jewellery best shows off both the outfit and the jewels. (And she'll have access to lots of lovely jewels&#33

And well, Frederik was giddy as a schoolboy who hs the love of his life now.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Courtier

As a summary of this day for me, I have to say that I liked both of Mary's outfits today, from the suit on the balcony to the gown at the gala dinner.

I agree with alexandria, I liked Mary's choice of both outfits. But not so much her hairstyles and jewellery. I think she's trying a bit too hard to fit in and live up to a image.... as I said before, she'll have a hard act to follow in Princess Alexandra's shoes. But to be fair, let's give Mary a chance and see how she develop.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Royal Highness

If I sounded tough on Mary I am sorry. As I stated earlier, I really thought she looked very lovely in her outfit on the balcony. The high-neck of the coat-dress really suits her and that is difficult to carry off. I did think her gown was glamorous but not my personal favorite. Overall, she had a beautiful day.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Royal Highness

www.hellomagazine.com

FREDERICK AND MARY CELEBRATE THEIR ENGAGEMENT TOGETHER

9 OCTOBER 2003
Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and his Australian fiancée Mary Donaldson have celebrated their engagement with a state dinner.

The couple were joined by both sets of parents for a banquet in the Royal Palace of Fredensborg, which was attended by the country's top politicians and dignitaries. And the bride-to-be impressed waiting journalists by answering their questions in Danish.

Earlier in the day the couple made their first public appearance together at Amalienberg Square in Copenhagen. Afterwards, the future princess admitted to being a little overwhelmed by the huge crowd who turned out to show their approval.

"Wow!" said the 31-year-old. "The sight looking out from the balcony was exciting. It was beautiful to see so many Australian flags. It was a nice feeling, a beautiful experience." And her handsome prince seemed equally delighted by the reception. "From today starts something new and fantastic," he said. "I'm so glad and happy, and today I feel like telling everybody how happy I am."

By getting engaged to Prince Frederik, Mary has become the first ever Australian to stand in line to become a European queen. The couple will be married at Copenhagen Cathedral on May 14.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:08 AM
Courtier

Thankyou for Julia for posting photo. :flower: This photo's Mary is so lovely.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks to eternalstar and all of our posters for the wonderful pictures and articles! :)
Old 10-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Commoner

I liked Mary's outfit on both occasions but I think the one she wore to the gala was very inappropriate for that particular occasion. She looked more like she was going to attend the Oscar's than a royal gala dinner at the palace. Plus her make up was a bit too pink especially the lipstick which clashed with the teal blue dress. Also from the pictures at the gala, it looks like the bottom strand of Mary's pearl necklace, the darker strand, is not real pearls. Before anyone complains to me about this, let me explain my reasons for saying this. I come from the Philippines where pearls are quite easily available both cultured and the very rare South Sea Pearls. For those interested in pearls, the Philippines is the place to go as you can find pearls everywhere, Vogue at one point even did an article about it and the Queen of Spain was even seen buying pearls, and this wasn't from a major jewelry store but from the flea market area where it is cheaper, on her last visit to the Philippines. The reason that I think the bottom row of Mary's necklace is fake is because I have seen very many pearls, I often go to the people who sell these pearls and semi precious stones as I make jewelry, and I have yet to come across a pearl that has the same coloring as that on Mary's necklace, cultured or South Sea. Real black pearls do not have that greenish hue to them and her pearls were not completely black they were almost a deep hunter green. That color is only achieved if the pearl is not a real pearl or if a cultured pearl is dyed to that certain color, which lowers the price of the pearl tremendously.

I was also a bit disappointed in the engagement ring that Fred gave to Mary. I was not expecting a 10 carat rock but something a bit bigger would have sufficed. The guy isn't a pauper and I'm sure he can definitely afford a bigger sing as all he would really have to do is to go into the jewelry of Queen Ingrid. I'm sure she had some bigger stones that he could have used. Maxima got a beautiful ring and it wasn't that big, judging from the pictures the entire ring was probably only 6 carats. The orange diamond on that ring was only 3 carats which from the pictures of Mary's ring seems to be the total carat size of Mary's ring. I, at the young age of 25, own two rings, which I purchased with my own money, by the way, which have bigger carat sizes than Mary's engagement ring. I think she should have gotten a bigger ring, I mean she's about to be married to the Crown Prince.

Her Danish skills also disappointed me quite a bit. If I remember correctly, Alexandra was able to understand and answer the journalists questions in Danish, it may not have been perfect Danish but it was Danish none the less. I know that Danish is one of the hardest languages to speak and that reading Danish is a lot easier. That for me does not give her the excuse of not being able to speak Danish quite well. She has been in the country now for 14 months as she has said herself, what has she done in that time to perfect her Danish? From what I heard yesterday nothing! Alexandra had it easier yeas as she knows German but Mary has been living and working in Denmark for quite some time now. You would think that when she realized that her relationship was serious with Frederik she would have begun to take Danish classes such as Maxima did, even before moving to Brussels. If I was a Dane, I would be completely ashamed and apalled that this woman was to be my future queen. After the triumph of Maxima's engagement, this one for me is a complete flop. I expected more out of Mary as I am sure many of you have. Well, let's just hope that by the time of their marriage next year her Danish is quite good that she will be able to answer reporters in Danish instead of switching to English. If not, then I hope Frederik snaps out of it and finds someone more suited to him. Someone who isn't only after the title and the jewelry and is actually interested in him and Denmark, its language, culture, history and so on and so forth. Something which Mary has to prove to the world other than that she got the goal she was aiming for, which is to be future queen of Denmark.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Commoner

Very well said mcq!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Commoner

Thank you Just C. I still believe that Fredrik can do better and after the performance yesterday if someone new comes into the picture, someone with a CV and 'it' qualities a la Alexandra and Maxima and actually interested in Fredeik, the man and not the prince, as well as in learning about Denmark, its language, culture, history and etc. I think the press would change its tune on Mary and hopefully if this does happen Frederik will snap out of it and change his tune as well. As I firmly believe there are a lot better women who are more fit to fullfil the role other than Mary.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Nobility

Poor Mary, I wonder why so many are so ready to attack her? I guess she looks fragile and so that makes her an easy target. I could see her going into permanent hiding as a crown princess if this keeps up.

The other 3 crown princesses (M's), Princess Alexandra, and Princess Caroline, (Diana too) all have a look of strength or a certain self-containment to protect themselves which is something Mary doesn't appear to have. I for one hope she can develop some of that inner confidence.

I thought her dinner dress had a Cleopatra look -- so what? Why not? It might even be a nice change of pace over the prom-dress looks worn by the other crown princesses at the time of their engagement. What would have been more "appropriate", a light pastel suitable for a 16 yr old?

I don't know what to say about the engagement ring and faux pearls, which I do agree were lacking in something. Maybe someone is trying to mock something? B)
Old 10-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

Gorgeous color of the gown, though.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Gentry

What is Queen Margrethe wearing in her hair?