The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent

aparently they had a fight

Víctor Manuel de Saboya y Amadeo de Aosta, a golpes por un trono
Los dos puñetazos que el príncipe Víctor Manuel de Saboya asestó a Amadeo de Aosta en el Palacio de la Zarzuela, son el enésimo chispazo entre dos primos que se disputan los derechos dinásticos de Italia. Aunque Víctor Manuel nunca debió caer tan bajo -y menos en casa de los Reyes de España, delante de otros invitados a la boda del Príncipe de Asturias-, su enfado con Amadeo se debía a la convocatoria de una conferencia de prensa para presentar en sociedad al «heredero» de un trono que no existe.

Víctor Manuel y su hijo Manuel Filiberto lograron volver a Italia el año pasado tras una reforma de la Constitución, que prohibía la entrada a los herederos varones de la Casa de Saboya. Para facilitar el voto parlamentario, Víctor Manuel juró lealtad a la República italiana y prometió volver como mero «ciudadano de a pie».

Ante esa «traición», la Unión Monárquica Italiana y la Consulta de Senadores del Reino le destituyeron como jefe de la Casa Real y nombraron a su primo, Amadeo de Aosta. Desde entonces, Amadeo es el heredero según las instituciones monárquicas, mientras que Víctor Manuel y su hijo lo son según el sentimiento popular y el Estado italiano.

Poco antes del viaje a Madrid, Amadeo había convocado una rueda de prensa destinada a presentar a su hijo, Aimone, sucesor como aspirante al Trono, lo cual le convertiría en rival de Manuel Filiberto, trasladando la disputa dinástica a la siguiente generación.

Durante la boda en la catedral de la Almudena y el posterior almuerzo en el Palacio Real, el protocolo había mantenido separados a Víctor Manuel y a Amadeo. Por la noche, la cena familiar en el Palacio de la Zarzuela para unos cincuenta amigos íntimos y parientes -Amadeo lo es de Dona Sofía- , era un escenario más peligroso. Y al príncipe Víctor Manuel, que suele ser impulsivo, se le fueron las manos.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubbette+May 28th, 2004 - 5:00 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bubbette @ May 28th, 2004 - 5:00 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by carlota@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:40 am
Quote:
Originally posted by KathleenOday@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:35 am
<!--QuoteBegin-King Christian
Quote:
Quote:
@May 23rd, 2004 - 2:23 am
Quote:
KathleenOday** Posted: May 23rd, 2004 - 2:14 am

Did I just miss them, or was there no United States representation at the wedding? Thought that was a wee bit odd.
I gather the wedding occurred 1 day after Spain withdrew its troops from Iraq.

Ah, yes....forgot about that. All is clear now.

in my opinion that was a really horrible attitute from the united states. the war has nothing to be with the spanish monarchy and as they have always had a very good relation under the past government it would have been correct that they send at least a member of bush&#39;s government, as nearly all the countries in america did.
Why would the US be invited? They are not family, and we don&#39;t have royals here. [/b][/quote]
well, as the usa had good relations in the past times and as many other presidents from america have been invited.....

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-30-2004, 06:05 AM
Gentry

Maybe they didn&#39;t kiss because of the lipstick of Letizia. I hardly cannot understand that a happy couple don&#39;t really kiss eachother on such an important private event as a wedding. Kissing my husband is a natural thing that shows my affection to him.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Courtier

This incident happened, not in El Pardo, but in the private party that the Kings and the new wed couple gave in zarzuela, after the banquet in the wedding day

I must say that this is a quite sad situation A total lack of respect to the spanish kings
Old 05-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Elizajane@May 29th, 2004 - 1:52 pm
Thanks Xicamaluca&nbsp; :flower:&nbsp; but i can&#39;t open the pic, it says &#39;you are forbiddden to view this page&#39;&nbsp; :(
Me, too. It says I&#39;m "forbidden to view". Everytime I see something like this, since I&#39;ve been a member of LTR for some time now, I instantly get a tummy-ache, thinking I did something terrible. "Forbidden" is a very strong word and it scares me. I don&#39;t understand this at all.

Frightenly,
Elizajane
When that happens, try to refresh the page Sometimes, the pictures of Getty Images stay like this (something in their sistem, i think)
Old 05-31-2004, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Goes to show you that even royals are no better than your everyday person huh? (Victor Emmanuel was also charged with shooting a German tourist from his boat in the early 1970s, which later resulted in his death, though he claimed that he thought the guy was an intruder. He was charged with the guys death and also unlawful or something like that possession of a gun.)

I can&#39;t read Spanish as in this article Carlota posted, but I read elsewhere that when King Juan Carlos heard about the fight he stormed out of the place shouting in Spanish "Never again" in regards to inviting the Savoys to an event. (The King&#39;s sister-in-law, Queen Anne Marie of Greece, "caught" Manuel who fell back in her arms, and later applied ice to him.)

What is the reason behind the disgruntled relationship between these two family members? I read elsewhere where Victor Emmanuel and Manuel were referred to as "rivals" -- why?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Nobility

NEARLY 40,000 VOTES CAST IN ROYAL WEDDING POLL
31 May 2004
from www.hellomagazine.com

Whether romantic, elegant or traditional, its clear that royal weddings are a big hit with hellomagazine.com readers.

In our latest royalty poll, asking our readers which recent wedding – that of Crown Prince Felipe and Letizia Ortiz, or of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson – was best, a whopping 40,000 voters logged on to make their opinion known.

While those following our coverage obviously enjoyed the pomp and circumstance of both royal nuptials, it was Felipe and Letizia&#39;s stately May 22 ceremony in Spain which came out on top, winning 57 per cent of the vote.

Frederik and Mary&#39;s romantic wedding, held in Copenhagen one week prior, was preferred by nearly 17,000 of those who logged on, scoring 43 per cent.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Nobility

A very beautiful cover of the Hello magazine :flower:

http://www.hellomagazine.com/magazin.../24/0818cover/
Old 06-01-2004, 04:57 AM
Nobility

About Felipe&#39;s speech, the quote below is exactly my thoughts, I copied it from Royal blue forum from a poster called Bis

Quote:
This was IMHO a speech from a mature and sinsere man. It wasn&#39;t a speech only to his wife, but after having spoken for both of them, he did continue with speaking first to her thus showing she&#39;s the most important for him. And after that he again spoke for both of them thus in a very natural way stating that they are a couple.

About being most romatic, this speech is, even if I wouldn&#39;t considder it being romantic, IMHO at least a more romantic speech than the one copied straight off from a book CPF gave. Where most of it where about himself and one should be glad he at least remembered to call them John and Mary and not X and Y.

All the best
bis*

I can assure you that the only part of his speech CPF didn&#39;t copy straight off from a book was the part about Joergen Jurgensen, and the last sentence which according to Maria was from a Danish song

All the best
bis&nbsp;

Old 06-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by nouwrein@Jun 1st, 2004 - 3:57 am
About Felipe&#39;s speech, the quote below is exactly my thoughts, I copied it from Royal blue forum from a poster called Bis

Quote:
This was IMHO a speech from a mature and sinsere man. It wasn&#39;t a speech only to his wife, but after having spoken for both of them, he did continue with speaking first to her thus showing she&#39;s the most important for him. And after that he again spoke for both of them thus in a very natural way stating that they are a couple.

About being most romatic, this speech is, even if I wouldn&#39;t considder it being romantic, IMHO at least a more romantic speech than the one copied straight off from a book CPF gave. Where most of it where about himself and one should be glad he at least remembered to call them John and Mary and not X and Y.

All the best
bis*

I can assure you that the only part of his speech CPF didn&#39;t copy straight off from a book was the part about Joergen Jurgensen, and the last sentence which according to Maria was from a Danish song

All the best
bis*

You really don&#39;t have many nice things to say about Frederik and/or Mary, do you?
Old 06-01-2004, 05:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Cissan@Jun 1st, 2004 - 4:09 am

You really don&#39;t have many nice things to say about Frederik and/or Mary, do you?
I do like Fred & Mary, its just that I happen to read this post at the royal blue and i agree on it, and its easier for me to quote it than to compose my own.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Serene Highness

Hmm, what was Maxima wearinng? It looked a size too small.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

And was that a kiss? Looked like a forced peck on the cheek. . . . .
Old 06-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Majesty

have a look at felipes forum there will you see some fanart/wallpapers of the wedding
Old 06-05-2004, 12:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@May 31st, 2004 - 2:25 pm
Goes to show you that even royals are no better than your everyday person huh? (Victor Emmanuel was also charged with shooting a German tourist from his boat in the early 1970s, which later resulted in his death, though he claimed that he thought the guy was an intruder. He was charged with the guys death and also unlawful or something like that possession of a gun.)

I can&#39;t read Spanish as in this article Carlota posted, but I read elsewhere that when King Juan Carlos heard about the fight he stormed out of the place shouting in Spanish "Never again" in regards to inviting the Savoys to an event. (The King&#39;s sister-in-law, Queen Anne Marie of Greece, "caught" Manuel who fell back in her arms, and later applied ice to him.)

What is the reason behind the disgruntled relationship between these two family members? I read elsewhere where Victor Emmanuel and Manuel were referred to as "rivals" -- why?
They are rivals because they both claim to be the heir to the throne of Italy.

Vittorio Emanuele is the son of ex King Umberto II. Vittorio Emanuele put his status in limbo according to the following passage from Royal Families of Europe by Geoffrey Hindley:

"According to others who would style themselves true legitimists, the claim to the crown in fact passed to a distant cousin, Prince Amadeus of Savoy, Duke of Aosta, on the day in 1970 when Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples, married without his father&#39;s prior consent. By a family statute or patent of 1780, any claimant to the titles of the House of Savoy who marries without the permission of the Head of the House loses all entitlement for himself and his descendants. In January 1970, the Prince married his companion of some years&#39; standing, the Swiss-born Marina Doria, by civil ceremony in Las Vegas, Nevada. King Umberto certainly withheld his permission, though without giving a reason. Whether it was that the lady was a commoner, or that the ceremony was a civil one is not clear. The decision of the Prince and Princess to go through with a religious ceremony in Tehran in 1971 made little difference to King Umberto&#39;s attitude. But he did attend the baptism of their son Filiberto and pronounced him Prince of Venice."

Hence this is a fight over who is the legitimate heir.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:41 AM
Royal Highness

Here is a translation of the article Carlota posted:

Vittorio Emmauele and Amadeus of Savoy Fight for a Throne:

The two punches that Vittorio Emanuele gave Amadeus of Savoy in the Zarzuela Palace are the result of an enmity and fight for the rights to the Italian throne. Vittorio&#39;s latest hatred against Amadeus of Savoy concerns the presentation of an heir to the world press that "does not exist".

Vittorio Emanuele and his son Filiberto have won the right to return to Italy after a constitutional vote to permit claimants to the Italian throne entrance again to Italy. Vittorio Emanuele sped along this constitutional vote by swearing allegiance to the Italian republic.

With this "betrayal", The Italian Monarchist League and the Council of the King&#39;s Senators have named Amadeus of Savoy as the official heir, while the Italian government backs Vittorio Emanuele.

Before the wedding in Madrid, Amadeus of Savoy started a whirlwind press tour presenting his son, Aimone, as his successor. This takes the the dynastic dispute into the next generation.

During the wedding in the Almudena Cathedral and the reception in the Royal Palace, protocol had kept Vittorio Emanuele and Amadeus separated. At the family dinner later that evening in the Zarzuela Palace for 50 close relatives and friends, (is where the fight happened because ) Vittorio Emanuele is quite impulsive and his fists flew.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Courtier

Here&#39;s an article that I think gives a good overview of the Spanish royal wedding, but it&#39;s in Spanish. I was wondering if there&#39;s anyone that would like to translate this article into English for me.:) I attempted to with a translator on the internet, but I wasn&#39;t getting along very well. :(

http://personales.ya.com/fororeal/cronicaboda.htm
Old 06-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Courtier

I think it was lovely that they refused to parade their passion in front of the world with a big sloppy kiss. I thought Fred&#39; first kiss to Mary in the church was touching because it was so spontaneous, but by the fiftymillionth kiss I though they&#39;d lost all sense of dignity. Why in today&#39;s day in age do we have to see everything? Why can&#39;t some things remain private?

The most beautiful picture I&#39;ve seen in many many a royal wedding was the photo of Felipe kissing Letizia&#39;s forehead after his amazing toast. It was filled with love and a beautiful, intimate tenderness.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:14 PM
Royal Highness

I thought they had lack of Passion as well&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 06-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by lucys@Jun 6th, 2004 - 7:42 pm
The most beautiful picture I&#39;ve seen in many many a royal wedding was the photo of Felipe kissing Letizia&#39;s forehead after his amazing toast. It was filled with love and a beautiful, intimate tenderness.
here&#39;s the pic
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/n...Day/brindis.jpg

yes, I agree with you. A kiss on the forehead is always very romantic

here&#39;s another pic i like too. In the Church during the ceremony.
http://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/n...ipespain161.jpg

Tags
crown prince felipe, crown princess letizia, king felipe, king felipe vi, madrid, queen letizia, wedding