Felipe, Prince of Asturias & Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano: 22 May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did it rain on the wedding day? I was surprised to see Sofia with a black veil, looks like shes going to a funeral not a wedding.

^^
It rained a lot, it was a storm

She was wearing a traditional spanish hairpiece called mantilla, it has to be black because it was for a religious event, and the queen is an old woman

^^
It rained a lot, it was a storm

She was wearing a traditional spanish hairpiece called mantilla, it has to be black because it was for a religious event, and the queen is an old woman

Wow, thank you Melibea. I'm glad I know that now:).

I like the bouquet and the applique on the gown. Nice:cool:.

This was one of the most beautiful weddings ever imo. The bride's dress was just regal, elegant and gorgeous!

This was one of the most beautiful weddings ever imo. The bride's dress was just regal, elegant and gorgeous!

I agree, I haven't seen a wedding dress or a wedding for that fact as nice as this one. :flowers:

Were the speeches broadcast or just released later on with some pictures? Cause someone told me they were broadcast but I can't find them on the youtube playlist.

Last edited:
how long was the wedding service, what did letizia aunt read in chuch?

i loved queen ranias dress

did the people in spain see the wedding on television? did it get high numbers "ratings"?

Beautiful bride and wonderful gown. Also the best looking royal groom.

Another good post. I think this has to be one of the greatest blogs...ever! :D

I realize that Letizia's gown is one of the most unpopular royal wedding dresses -- I feel I should also dislike it to be normal! :cool: However, I feel it is less a case of "bad dress" and more a case of "wonderful dress on the wrong bride." This mistake (along with a few other matters of grooming) made the bridal look a flop, I admit, but I find the dress itself to be lovely in design. The fabric combined with the embroidery and the clean lines are just beautiful...are elaborate yet minimalistic. And unlike many of the other royal wedding dresses this one is almost exclusively royal, and so, for me, almost in a class of its own. It is distinct. It's not a gown that will be widely copied, that many will dream of marrying in. It is a dress of its era, a gown for a crown princess and future queen consort -- elegant, sophisticated, noble, statuesque, timeless in a decidedly regal manner (rather than the 'common' classics), it has an understated royal grandeur...

I just wish the train had held its form and that it had been worn by one who could have done it justice (and this is not a slight on Letizia) as I feel it could have been a true imperial masterpiece. :sad:

Last edited:
Letizia's dress would have been perfect if it wasn't for the collar. Looking at it posed and from the front, the bodice and skirt looks very beautiful; but it was the collar that ruined it. I have seen this type of dress on one or two other royal brides though I can't remember their names, it didn't look good on them either.
BTW, what church did this wedding take place at? That is truly one of the most beautiful churches I have seen a royal wedding take place at, if not the most beautiful.

Last edited:
Letizia's dress would have been perfect if it wasn't for the collar. Looking at it posed and from the front, the bodice and skirt looks very beautiful; but it was the collar that ruined it. I have seen this type of dress on one or two other royal brides though I can't remember their names, it didn't look good on them either.
BTW, what church did this wedding take place at? That is truly one of the most beautiful churches I have seen a royal wedding take place at, if not the most beautiful.

Mathilde of Belgium had a similar dress
http://estilo-tendances.com/wp-cont...e-Philippe-of-Belgium1999-estilotendances.jpg

The wedding took place at Madrid Almudena Cathedral

I agree that a significant upright collar on a wedding dress is not a flattering choice for most brides. Apart from this feature, I don't know that the dresses are overly alike as Mathilde's appears to be more of a coat and dress, is of a different silhouette, and adorned with buttons not embriodered. So, for me, is more similar to the the wedding dresses of brides like Martha Louise and Sophie (Wessex). Funny how we all see things so differently! :flowers:

Why the queen of Netherland is not in the official group picture while she was present at the wedding ? A saw a few chairs empty in the first line at the side

I remember watching the wedding and I love her wedding dress and her crown which I guess is now officially hers since that I'd the crown she is always seen in.

Why the queen of Netherland is not in the official group picture while she was present at the wedding ? A saw a few chairs empty in the first line at the side

Queen Beatrix only attended the pre-wedding ball she had another wedding to attend that day so she did not attend the actual ceremony.

I thought her wedding dress would have looked better without the collar.The rest looked perfect.

It was a beautiful wedding, felipe looked so young and letizia looked like a princess in that gown the gown was beautiful but was there really a need for the collars.?

I wonder if one problem with Letizia's gown and collar is that she is so short and her neck is small. I tend not to like the upturned collar at all but possibly it would have been better on a woman who has more height. I know most people don't like when a woman wears her hair down at a wedding but I also feel that Letizia would have looked better if her hair wasn't up; but for that to work the whole collar idea would have had to be thrown out.

Letitzia isn't actually short, its just that her husband is very tall.

Letizia is 168 cm, not so short. But when you have a husband, whose height is 197 cm, of course she looks short.

Back
Top Bottom