Felipe, Prince of Asturias & Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano: 22 May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any real kisses yet???

The people watching the balcony scene probably thought they were seeing lip-locks :p . How wrong they were. Though it was very sweet that Letizia seemed embarassed. Very cute. But darn it, I want to see real kisses! :p

I still can't get over how royal weddings don't have the kisses inside the church (well F & M did but I don't think that was planned).

:( IT WAS SO SAD THAT IT HAD TO START RAINING AS SOON AS IT WAS TIME FOR THE BRIDE TO COME OUT.

Princess Miriam of Bulgaria
Princess Madeleine
Princess Rosario of Bulgaria
Infanta Elena
Crown Princess Máxima
Paloma Cuevas
Esperanza Aguirre
Queen Noor
Queen Rania (although she was not correct according to protocol)

Worst dressed
Princess Marthe Louise
Agata Ruiz de la Prada
Mette Marit (boring)

Did Queen Elizabeth II attend the wedding?? I thought it was said sometime earlier that she would but I dont see any pictures of her.

Had there been a tiara and evening gown event?

In aftonbladet (Swedish newspaper) wrote about the press/media at the wedding thought that her cousin Gistav Magnusson was her fiancé.

Why are all of the lady waering gloves in their hands?Do they wear them in church?

Originally posted by King Christian@May 23rd, 2004 - 3:23 am
KathleenOday  Posted: May 23rd, 2004 - 2:14 am

Did I just miss them, or was there no United States representation at the wedding? Thought that was a wee bit odd.
I gather the wedding occurred 1 day after Spain withdrew its troops from Iraq. ;)
I don´t think the war or really anything has to do with no representation. After all, who was the US Rep for the Danish wedding? I mean they are a "friendly" ally right now. Although it should be noted that if the US would have sent someone to the Spanish wedding, more than likely the decision would have been made before the election. That being said. The US government is rather blase about royal weddings and unless there was a personal relationship it would be unlikely that a representative would be there. With the exception of a British royal wedding. We would send someone there if invited.

Originally posted by anna@May 23rd, 2004 - 5:53 am
:eek: 24 pages !

I just came to view LTR on the spanish royal wedding.

Does anyone have to the time read a 24 pages topic ? ? ?

and it is still growing .......
Better to have a forum that is alive than dead, right, anna?

And obviously some members had time to read 24 pages -- as it grew to this length in the first place. It would still be stuck at 1 if no one read it, right? And there seems to be lots of interest still in the wedding, so growing, growing and growing!

As a general rule of thumb, for special events such as weddings, engagements, births, etc., we don't follow the 10 page rule as we do with News and Picture threads. For events of this nature that are one day or finite in time, we like to let the thread carry on for as long as there is interest.

is there a bigger group photo can someone post that if there are one..

Some ppl said there was lack of showing emtion at this wedding; in fact, this couple showed it just in their own way. The most emotional part , IMHO, is that Felipe touched Letizia's hand before they entering the royal palace. As they were standing there and listening to the bagpipe from Asturia region, Felipe patted on Latzia's hand and talked to his newly weded wife gentley as if saying:"Are you ok? We've been almost though." Then Letizia put her head againt him... It is really a moving moment.

Other touching moments were when they held their hands saying their vows, how they touched each other's hands when exchanging the rings and how Felipe held her pricess on the balcony.

I guess that each and everyone has his/her way to show the feeling & emotion and there is no specified formular as such. Best wishes for this new couple!

From the Glittering Royals MB, a link to the many colourful hats worn to yesterday's wedding: Hats, hats and more hats at El Mundo

Close ups of the hats of Cristina of Spain, Rosario, Carla and Kalina of Bulgaria, Maxima of the Netherlands, Marie Chantal of Greece, Mette-Marit of Norway's feather, and Elena of Spain's mantilla, and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
well said felipa! not everyone is comfortable with showing private emotions in public...you're right, everyone shows their love in diffent ways...

you can just tell they are in love by the way they look at each other... ;)

I have a stuped question, why didn't all the royals wear any tiaras and all the stuff like they did in Fredrik's and Mary wedding? :huh:

Originally posted by mahawi@May 23rd, 2004 - 1:25 pm
I have a stuped question, why didn't all the royals wear any tiaras and all the stuff like they did in  Fredrik's and Mary  wedding? :huh:
Felipe and Letizia had a morning/day wedding with a lunch reception rather than a dinner reception. Frederik and Mary had a late afternoon/early evening wedding with a dinner reception. Morning services usually require suits, morning suits and hats as a dress code while evening services require more formal dresses and jewellery (tiaras included) as dress code.

Also, in light of the March 11 attacks, Felipe and Letizia opted for much more scaled back wedding fesitivities than Frederik and Mary, hence no tiaras at the pre-wedding dinner either or much other festivities.

P.S. Thank you GrandDuchess for the picture of Theodora at the wedding. :flower: Off to compile my list!

TVE just showed some images from yesterday nigth, when the new wed couple celebrated a private party at Zarzuela Palace with their families and some close guests that assisted to the wedding in the morning. TVE showed some images of the guests attiving to Zarzuela and among them there was the crown princes of The Netherlands and Norway, Princess Martha Louise and her husband, CP Kardam and CP Miriam, The entire greek royal family.

CP Felipe and CP Letizia left the Royal Palace at 22:00 (Letizia was alredy wearing another clothes) saluting the crowd that was still in the outside of the palace. The private party ended at 01:00.

TVE also said that the norwegian princes and Ari Behn went back to the hotel, but they left again to enjoy Madrid's nigth life B)

I don't have time to read the whole thread right now but I just have to say that I *loved* Letizia's dress! ^_^

some curiosities of the wedding: i have been watching some tv programmes which had talked about felipe's wedding and some gossip, here are some of the most important comments

-it was a pity that 9 out of 10 journalists said that the wedding was dissapointing. they also commented the lack of feelings in it, comparing it to the danish rw.

-they told that one of mette marit's tie of her shoe broke and she had to use it as a more informal one. good action of her that we didn't even notice.....

-another time, elena has chosen christian lacroix as her designer

-there was an extremely sweet moment (probably the sweetest) when iñaki kissed cristina's hand. :heart: :blush:

-froilan and cristina's eldest son (don't remember his name) had an argument because froilan wanted to walk with the flowers in the cathedral and cristina's didn't want... we could see a part of it when froilan was pulling the bouquet....

-they said that rania had broken up protocol because it was said in the invitation that women whould have short dresses. however, it was also said it was a custom of her country.

-also not very liked was victoria's dress... i personally loved it, even more than madelaine's.

-finally i know who was that suspicious girl i saw with the dukes of bragança... eilika... she seems to be so sweet...

-they also told the name of the unknown woman 1 (see thread best dressed lists or click here). she was ms. riuz aroca

-they told that ernest of hannover could have been all the night long clubing... that was why he wasn't there.

-other clubers were haakon, mette marit, martha louise and ari, who after a private dinner at la zarzuela went to have a sample of madrid's night life.

-i have to say that the only two crown princesses who weren't critisized because of her outfits were mathilde and maxima...

about the honeymoon: it started today in cuenca

MADRID.- Los Príncipes de Asturias han comenzado su luna de miel en la ciudad de Cuenca, dentro de un recorrido por otras ciudades españolas. El viaje se verá interrumpido el próximo día 26 ya que la pareja asistirá a la celebración del matrimonio del Príncipe heredero de Jordania, Hamzah Bin al Husein.

Don Felipe y doña Letizia han decidido como comienzo de su viaje de bodas lugares de la geografía española que poseen un especial atractivo histórico.

Una portavoz de la Casa del Rey ha informado de que el deseo de los Príncipes de Asturias es visitar puntos de interés artístico y cultural y "pocos países pueden ofrecer riquezas en su patrimonio como España".

Esta noche los Príncipes cenaban en un mesón de la capital conquense y pernoctarán en el Parador Nacional, un lugar en el que ya se hospedó el Príncipe de Asturias cuando realizó su vista oficial a Castilla-La Mancha.

Este lunes, los Príncipes tienen previsto dirigirse a otra ciudad española, aunque no se ha detallado.

Los Príncipes reanudarán su luna de miel una vez hayan asistido a las celebraciones organizadas por la Familia Real Jordana el día 27.

Después de las celebraciones de esta boda, reanudarán su viaje de novios por lugares que no se harán públicos con antelación por la Casa del Rey

felipe's speech:

No puedo ni quiero esconderlo, imagino que salta a la vista: Soy un hombre feliz. Y tengo la certeza de que esta condición me la da sentir la emoción de ver y protagonizar la realización de un deseo:
Me he casado con la mujer que amo.
Conjugar la razón con la fuerza del amor y del sentimiento ha sido siempre un objetivo en mi vida. Por eso, estamos celebrando hoy que Letizia y yo unamos nuestras vidas en una comunión de amor, responsabilidad, trabajo, respeto y entrega mutua. Nuestra unión para siempre se la ofrecemos a nuestras familias y sobre todo a nuestro destino, íntimamente ligado al futuro de los españoles.

Afrontamos nuestro futuro con una ilusión y una esperanza muy profundas. El servicio a los españoles es el gran compromiso personal e institucional con el que Letizia y yo iniciamos ahora una nueva etapa en nuestra vida.

En ella estamos seguros de encontrar la felicidad duradera que toda familia busca y desea. Aspiramos a fundar una familia. Y queremos alcanzar el necesario equilibrio entre lo público y lo privado, entre las obligaciones - que lo son de por vida - y la legítima y necesaria vida familiar; sabiendo que nuestro trabajo requiere una serenidad, una dedicación, una constancia y una mesura tales que permitan hilar el tiempo político con el tiempo humano.

Letizia: hace poco mas de un año dimos los primeros pasos que, con amor y serenidad, nos han traído hasta aquí. No es mucho tiempo ni poco; el suficiente para habernos descubierto mutuamente, con transparencia y sinceridad, como la persona que deseábamos tener a nuestro lado para toda la vida.

El conocimiento y respeto recíprocos, nuestra complementariedad y complicidad han ido día a día cimentando lo que con tanta fuerza nos acercó e impulsó para llegar a nuestro matrimonio.

Es también muy importante - y tú me lo dices tanto - que sepamos encontrar el uno en el otro el remanso necesario para reflexionar, disfrutar y compartir todo aquello que nos hace crecer como personas, enorgullecernos y sobrellevar la intensidad de nuestras vidas. Y lo es tanto más por cuanto ha de ser fuente de gozo y armonía familiar.

Se que lo conseguiremos sin duda.

El compromiso que Letizia y yo hemos asumido hoy transciende de lo meramente personal. Desde muy pequeño he sido consciente de mis responsabilidades y la lealtad al Rey junto al sentido del deber han guiado mi vida.

Pues bien, me siento orgulloso de que Letizia se incorpore desde hoy a este proyecto con convicción y responsabilidad; Y quiero que todos sepan lo agradecido que estoy a Letizia por su entrega y determinación a lo que dicho proyecto conlleva.

En el camino que hemos de recorrer contamos con el ejemplo impagable de Sus Majestades los Reyes. De Su Majestad el Rey, que junto a una generación de grandes patriotas consiguió la reconciliación de los españoles, protagonizó el establecimiento y la consolidación de la democracia y ha ejercido de forma impecable sus funciones constitucionales.

De Su Majestad la Reina, con su apoyo constante y permanente al Rey, su sensibilidad, su disponibilidad y su ejemplo. Ambos han conseguido que la Corona sea una institución útil al servicio de España y respetada y querida por los españoles.

Y aunque las circunstancias serán diferentes y también las personas, mi vocación de continuidad con ese modelo y con su ejemplo de servicio es rotunda y firme. Deriva de una intima convicción y mi compromiso permanente de que la Corona siga contribuyendo a la estabilidad institucional de España, a la integración y cohesión de los españoles y a ser garantía de su libertad y progreso. Majestad:

no tengáis ninguna duda de que siempre pensaremos en España y de que toda nuestra vida estará dedicada al bienestar de los españoles.

Hoy hemos sellado nuestro amor ante Dios y ante la sociedad; todos sois testigos de ello y de la autenticidad que nos mueve. Por eso estamos especialmente contentos de poder compartir con vosotros, con los madrileños y con todos los españoles este momento tan crucial en nuestras vidas.

Queremos agradecer las constantes muestras de cariño y generosidad llegadas desde tantos puntos de la geografía española, incluso de fuera de nuestro país. También el afecto, el esfuerzo y la dedicación de las Instituciones y de muchos miles de personas que han contribuido al buen desarrollo de estos días de celebración.

Sería deseable, aunque imposible, hacer llegar a todos ellos personalmente nuestra gratitud. Como también es imposible tener aquí a tantas personas especiales para nosotros, pero a las que dedicamos un cariñoso recuerdo desde aquí.

En este capítulo de agradecimientos y recuerdos queremos tener uno especial para nuestras familias. Somos resultado en parte de sus desvelos y hemos recibido de ellas durante todos estos meses su apoyo y comprensión, que ha sido sustento vital y lo seguirá siendo.

Además, llegar hasta aquí no hubiera sido posible sin el concurso de ellas y de muchas personas, entre las que quiero especialmente destacar a mis hermanas, las Infantas y a sus maridos. Pero, sobre todo, no hubiera sido posible sin SSMM los Reyes.

Es mucho lo que como hijo tengo que agradecerles a lo largo de mi vida. Y hoy, en el día de mi boda, quiero dejar constancia publica de mi más profundo agradecimiento por su cariño y apoyo permanente. No es posible entender mi felicidad sin la suya.

Hoy yo recibo dos padres y dos hermanas más, y también cuatro abuelos - que yo ya no tengo-. De los míos sigo recibiendo inspiración y su memoria me acompaña y enorgullece. De los suyos recibo una calurosa cercanía y el valioso aprendizaje de sus vidas.

Recibid mi respetuosa y cariñosa gratitud.

M de Madrid, de Mayo y de Memoria; en ella siempre estarán los ausentes, los que no les fue permitida criminal y brutalmente seguir viviendo sus ilusiones y desvelos; y también los que hoy no pueden disfrutar con ellos, libre y cívicamente de la primavera madrileña que nos acoge y nos levanta el ánimo. Con su recuerdo presente, permitidme levantar mi copa por Letizia, por Sus Majestades los Reyes y por España".

I have clipping with three photos from the San Francisco Chronicle, I will post soon!

Originally posted by carlota@May 23rd, 2004 - 4:56 pm
-they said that rania had broken up protocol because it was said in the invitation that women whould have short dresses. however, it was also said it was a custom of her country.
Rania does wear short dresses and skirts regardless of what her people think or believe as custom...she even wears sleevless and strapless dresses (pre wedding gown for example)... :shock:

So, I think she wore the long skirt in the wedding because she wanted so....

Originally posted by Humble+May 23rd, 2004 - 6:53 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Humble @ May 23rd, 2004 - 6:53 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-carlota@May 23rd, 2004 - 4:56 pm
Rania does wear short dresses and skirts regardless of what her people think or believe as custom...she even wears sleevless and strapless dresses (pre wedding gown for example)... :shock:

So, I think she wore the long skirt in the wedding because she wanted so.... [/b][/quote]
I think you're right Humble; Rania wore a floor-length skirt not because it is custom but because she wanted to. Noor wore a knee-length dress/skirt underneath her jacket. And Princess Muna (who was walking right next to Rania) wore a skirt just below her knees.

i CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY THE US WOULD NOT SEND A REP EITHER SINCE THE POPULATION IN THE US OF SPANISH PEOPLE OF ALL REGIONS OF THE CULTURE IS VERY PREDOMINANT MORE SO THAN THE BLACK CULTURE. ALSO .. A DAY TIME FORMAL AFFAIR WHEN A LADY WEARS A HAT SHE WEARS GLOVES. THIS IS SPAIN .. ITS PART OF THE CULTURE TO BE WELL DRESSED.

Back
Top Bottom