The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by madonna23@May 24th, 2004 - 8:28 am
Quote:
What did you want Rania to wear - a Burkha???

She is a beautiful young woman and as it was an event in Europe she obviously felt, or was advised, to dress in the European fashion.
Noor was NOT wearing a burkha. Rania has worn lovely dresses before that were in European fashion but this one was completely out of line. It was inappropriate for any wife of head of a state, much less a Muslim wife of a head of state.
Did I say Noor was wearing a Burkha???? NO.

The only thing I found inappropriate about Rania's gown was the colour. Her breasts weren't hanging out of it (or in no danger of becoming so), The skirt was long so we weren't given fanny flashes. The only bare flesh was her arms and neck. If this was inappropriate then so was Mdme Chirac's red dress when QEII visited Paris.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Did I say Noor was wearing a Burkha???? NO.

The only thing I found inappropriate about Rania's gown was the colour. Her breasts weren't hanging out of it (or in no danger of becoming so), The skirt was long so we weren't given fanny flashes. The only bare flesh was her arms and neck. If this was inappropriate then so was Mdme Chirac's red dress when QEII visited Paris.
I did not imply that you said Noor was wearing a burkha. I merely pointed that Noor - a Muslim queen - wore an appropriate dress that was not a burkha.

The dress is inappropriate because of the skin and style. (Mdme Chiriac's dress was completely unlike Rania's dress). Besides, this is a Queen of an Islamic monarchy. Perhaps if the Jordanian royals themselves did not make a big deal about them being descendants of the Prophet, then I seriously would not care what Rania wears. But the fact is that the JRF likes to point out every so often that they are Hashemites, and for that reason, it is hypocritical for Rania to wear the dress she did to the Pre-Wedding dinner.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

Crown Princess Mathilde
Princess Martha Louisa
Grand Duchess Marie-Teresa

dresses it best beautiful and excellence

middle dress is

Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Princess Laurentine
Old 05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Aristocracy

Guys, ive noticed that you are referring to the Former Empress of Iran as Farah Diba....I think you should refer to her as Farah Pahlavi at least....if not Empress Farah...because she loved the shah very much and still uses the name Pahlavi...
Old 05-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 25th, 2004 - 4:41 pm
Guys, ive noticed that you are referring to the Former Empress of Iran as Farah Diba....I think you should refer to her as Farah Pahlavi at least....if not Empress Farah...because she loved the shah very much and still uses the name Pahlavi...
Well, she is no longer an empress and, moreover, traditionally Persian women (like their Spanish Counterparts) do not take the last name of their husbands. So Farah Diba is not incorrect.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

In her new book AN ENDURING LOVE, it has FARAH PAHLAVI on the Front!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Aristocracy

Furthermore, she isn't just any Persian woman, she is the last Shabanou of Iran. Plus, you still call King Constantine...King Constantine, so I will refer to her as Empress Farah.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Furthermore, she isn't just any Persian woman, she is the last Shabanou of Iran. Plus, you still call King Constantine...King Constantine, so I will refer to her as Empress Farah.
Speaking of Farah Pahlavi or Farah Diba (whatever floats your boat) did you know Iran gave a condemnation of her and her son's attendance of the Spanish wedding? They said something along the lines of "Because she's no longer Empress, and what's more she was deposed along with her husband, she should no longer be allowed to attend these sort of events". Harsh, isn't it? Don't a lot of deposed royals continue attending weddings and such?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Aristocracy

Yes they do. Who cares what the Islamic radical government says...who cares! She can do what she wants...one day we can just hope for an Iran with the Shah back...
Old 05-26-2004, 01:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 25th, 2004 - 10:34 pm
Yes they do. Who cares what the Islamic radical government says...who cares! She can do what she wants...one day we can just hope for an Iran with the Shah back...
Well, if you know your history, you will know that the Shah was no better than the Mullahs. He was a corrupt , brutal dictator, who was put in place by the CIA. A good recent book on the sujbect is "All the Shah's Men".
Old 05-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 25th, 2004 - 5:48 pm
In her new book AN ENDURING LOVE, it has FARAH PAHLAVI on the Front!
That is because the Pahlavi name is more well known.

Regardless of status Persian women do not traditionally take the last name of their husband. Changing last names is a Western concept. In fact, it isn't even the norm in some "Western" countries. I'm simply pointing out that it isn't incorrect to refer to her as Farah Diba.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 25th, 2004 - 5:51 pm
Actually, I try and refer to Constantine by his Christian name or as ex-King.

In any case, with respect to Farah, yes she is the last "Shabanaou" (thank goodness for that), but the pahalavi family was parvenu and did not belong to any of Iran's noble "thousand families". So, IMO, her royal status is questionable.

AFAIC, the most approproate way to refer to her is as the former Iranian dictator's (which is what the Shah was) widow. So you refer her to as "empress", and I will refer to her as the dictator's widow. :)
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 AM

Crown Princess Mary should have been there. Too bad Felipe and Letty didn't schedule their wedding better.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosmerta@May 26th, 2004 - 12:26 am
Crown Princess Mary should have been there. Too bad Felipe and Letty didn't schedule their wedding better.
Why are you blaming Felipe and Letizia for Mary that did not attend?

So would you also blame Hamzah and Noor for not scheduling their wedding better?

Its a choice actually. I admire Felipe and Letizia for making time to attend Fred&Mary's even though its a week before their wedding and for planning to attend Hamzah&Noor's a week after their wedding. They're a very considerate, professional and unselfish couple.

Why didn't Fred&Mary just relax for a week in beautiful places in Denmark or better yet do what Felipe & Letizia are doing now. IMO its selfish of them to fly right away to Tanzania- they don't care if they miss the Wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias that will happen only once. Why can't they postpone that honeymooning? They would have so many many more opportunities to be with themselves, a second honeymoon, a third, their several vacations in the future.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:35 PM
Aristocracy

Well, I like Farah Pahlavi and I am very sad to hear her husband talked about so badly. Still, she is Empress in my book and always will be. LOVE YA FARAH!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Williams@May 26th, 2004 - 6:35 pm
Well, I like Farah Pahlavi and I am very sad to hear her husband talked about so badly. Still, she is Empress in my book and always will be. LOVE YA FARAH!
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. But those (millions) who suffered under his regime would not agree wtih you. If the Shah et al. were so wonderful, the revolution would have never happened.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Sean.~  Posted: May 26th, 2004 - 8:34 pm
Quote:
(Lord Williams @ May 26th, 2004 - 6:35 pm)
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. But those (millions) who suffered under his regime would not agree wtih you. If the Shah et al. were so wonderful, the revolution would have never happened.
It surprises me, ie: with Iran ... how often the USA has been 'shocked' by a sudden demise in the political affairs of "its allies". There was Iran, Vietnam, the collapse of the Berlin Wall, Iraq .....
Old 05-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Commoner

The dress Grand Duchess MT was wearing is an Elie Saab, CZJ wore it to some award show.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Courtier

Has anybody seen a pic of Princess Kalina of Bulgaria and Kitin Munoz at the pre-wedding dinner?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:12 AM
Aristocracy

Am I the only one who didn't like Letizia in this dress? It was way too big for such a tiny person!

Queen Rania and MC were my favourites of the night!