Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling: June 19, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has already been discussed in the thread. Victoria did in fact wear the plant in her hair, I believe someone said it was figs. I don't know if its a Swedish tradition or not, I have only heard of Silvia och Victoria wearing it.

I read that it was a sprig of myrtle, but I am not familiar with the tradition behind this.

This is not only a swedish tradition, but was very much familiar in Germany too. In the old days brides put a garland of myrthle in their hair as a lucky charm. This old custom is almost forgotten in nowadays times - at least in germany and anglo-saxon customs have taken over instead...

I have just come rt now to the boards. A family situation made me forget that this was the time Victoria would be getting married. Victoria always seemed to me a charming and kind person but other than tht she has rarely drawn me in like Maxima or Mary usually do. As such Daniel too hardly registered on my periphery.

So imagine my surprise and may I add delight to be able to watch the pictures of this joyful event. Yes there was magnificence and glamour but it became so secondary to the simplicity and the happiness the couple showed. The affection which they showed towards each other, mainly Victoria and Prince Daniel's speech, especially where he wished tht he be able to maintain this level of hapiness in Victoria for their entire life, they just threw me a curveball. I am so happy that these two people were able to find this kind of love and even better got a chance to hold on to it. I wish them all the happiness in the world. Nothing else which if I say could possibly add more. So I will let this be.

To Martha: I realize it's time consuming, but by going through this entire thread and clicking on the photo links provided by all the great posters, I was able to collect pictures of just about every royal who attended. This thread (this wedding actually) was a bonanza of royalty, most of them present at more than one event. There was a concert the night before they all went too as well.

I've got a collection now with all of the queens (Beatrix, Margarethe, Sophia, Sonia, Sylvia, etc.) plus non-reigning royals from such as Greece and Romania too. Even Frederich of Denmark's cousins! :)

To Everyone Else: I wonder if the French Polynesia 'leak' is real? Or a bluff? Maybe they are actually in Kenya! I wouldn't be surprised to find out later, just saying. ;)

Hello, Bonbon!
Thank you so much for this gorgeous HQ pics! Have you any about some royal guests?
I´m also searching for some photos of Prince Phillipos of Greece and his sister Alexia (not necessarily HQ). Can someone help?!

I once heard in a German report that when Queen Silvia got married she had some plants put in her hair somewhere close near her tiara. According to the report this was a tradition to bring good luck to the bride and it was said that Victoria would do the same. Indeed in some pictures I saw that something green was hairdressed in Silvia's hair, but I couldn't find any such pictures with Victoria. Does someone know more about this Swedish tradition? Thank you.

Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden started this tradition. She had a myrthle bush planted at her summer residence Sofiero at Hälsingborg. From this bush her daughter Ingrid whore a myrthle Crown when she married the danish Crown Prince Frederik. IÄngrid continued this tradition and planted a new bush at either Graasten or Fredesnborg (not sure). Victoria also wore some myrthle inside of her tiara. You have to look for a photo from above and then at then inside at the back of tiara there it is.

Thank you biathlon22 for the video. I can see quite a lot of my favourite Prince Phillipos (IMO muuuuchhh prettier than CP)!!!;)

Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden started this tradition. She had a myrthle bush planted at her summer residence Sofiero at Hälsingborg. From this bush her daughter Ingrid whore a myrthle Crown when she married the danish Crown Prince Frederik. IÄngrid continued this tradition and planted a new bush at either Graasten or Fredesnborg (not sure). Victoria also wore some myrthle inside of her tiara. You have to look for a photo from above and then at then inside at the back of tiara there it is.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the original cuttings for these Myrtle bushes came from a bush that Queen Victoria had. They were brought to Sweden by her granddaughter. I may have to research that again.

Did the formation of the planes that did the fly over have any significance?

Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden was Queen Victoria's granddaughter and you are right , the spring that was planted to Sofiero came from the bush that was to Osborne and was the original spring buh from which Queen Victoria used springs in her wedding day. I think that the bush in Osborne grew from a spring cutting that Albert brought with him from Coburg.

I'm amazed how many royals just seem to love take pix!

To them, this is probably just like any other wedding any of us 'commoners', if you will, would attend. It's the wedding of a close friend or in the case of the other royals, a cousin and friend. So it makes since for them to be taking lots of pictures. I think it's kind of neat the royals aren't al stuffy about it - it shows they're normal people just like the rest of us. The only difference is they either were born into or married into public relations that demands they dress up and wear fine jewellrey.

It looks to me like there was a sprig of some greenery tucked in Victoria's hair. I noticed this when Daniel was giving his speech and Victoria kept looking down at the table, giving the camera a straight-on view of the top of her head. The leaves seem to be placed between her hair and the tiara, near the back of her head, close to where the veil is attached. I will try to post a picture.

Is this a Swedish custom? Do you suppose it is something like orange blossom? I don't see any flowers, though, just green.

I apologize if someone already covered this...there are so many posts here to catch up on!

Hand in hand, Victoria and Daniel:
IBL Bildbyrå
Victoria gives her wedding bouquet to Hedvid Blom at the church
IBL Bildbyrå
Victoria and Madeleine
IBL Bildbyrå

Most of the royals stayed at the Grand Hotel, which had these lovely hearts at their window:
The Local
Daniel´s parents and sister Anna with Mikael Söderström arriving to the church
IBL Bildbyrå
IBL Bildbyrå

Prince Radu of Romania writes very nicely about the wedding at his blog, there are also photos:
Iubire, Stockholm 2010 « Romania. Altfel
Google Translate

Jörgen Elofsson, who made the song "When You Tell the world you're mine" to the church tells, that Daniel contacted him for more than year ago and asked him to write a song about his and Victoria´s love story. Daniel told Elofsson about their love, and he made the song. In October Elofsson presented the song for the couple. They listened it, and changed nothing. After a while the couple decided that the song should be played at the church.
"Daniel bad mig skriva låten" - Bröllopet - Expressen
Google Translate

So both Daniel and Victoria are very romantic people - Daniel ordering a love song and Victoria writing love letters to Daniel.:flowers:

Daniel´s uncles tell about the wedding:
’Det var som en riktigt bra film’ | Bröllopet | Aftonbladet

In the paper version of Expressen:
Daniel tells about his speech
Expressen
Perhaps they will put something to their website later during the day.

Daniel at the church:
Fotobanka ČTK
Daniel´s sister Anna Westling Blom congratulating the couple
Fotobanka ČTK
Victoria hugging the fiancé of Anna Westling Blom, Mikael Söderström
Fotobanka ČTK

Daniel about his speech, he tells that before the speech he was quite nervous, but not anymore when he stood up, then he felt quite calm.
Daniel om talet: "Jag var nervös" - Bröllopet - Expressen
Google Translate

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to me like there was a sprig of some greenery tucked in Victoria's hair. I noticed this when Daniel was giving his speech and Victoria kept looking down at the table, giving the camera a straight-on view of the top of her head. The leaves seem to be placed between her hair and the tiara, near the back of her head, close to where the veil is attached. I will try to post a picture.

Is this a Swedish custom? Do you suppose it is something like orange blossom? I don't see any flowers, though, just green.

I apologize if someone already covered this...there are so many posts here to catch up on!
Her mother also had green leaves on her head, tucked between the tiara and the veil. I heard during the interviews that it is a Swedisk custom to have flowers in a bride's hair.

The topic is discussed on the previous page.
It is a sprig of Myrtle.

Does anyone know where I could find a video clip
of the ballerina's performance at the pre-wedding concert??

I'm not sure what the problem is but all the pictures labled

IBL Bildbyra

give me nothing but a blank screen. Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks.

Can someone tell me I keep seeing the same little medals Victoria's Bridemaids had them on and Daniel's family also So did Victoria's family were they the Wedding gift for the guest or a special medal that was worn by their family and people in the wedding .

A close up of the medal on Madeleine
http://i45.tinypic.com/25g6reu.jpg

It has Victoria & Daniel's Official seal on it so im just wondering .

I'm not sure what the problem is but all the pictures labled

IBL Bildbyra

give me nothing but a blank screen. Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks.
I'm having problems too, MarNoe, I can't see any picture :ermm:

One of my biggest delight in watching the photos was watching Maxima with her camera and Frederick taking pictures of them with Mary...I also loved watching how the Crown Princesses interacted with each other and also during dinner, I love Mary's expression and the way the other princesses talked animatedly. I also saw the video of Carina and Mary...it was hilarious...I really love this wedding, they seemed to also be very happy for Victoria

Thanks for all the so beautifull pics I have seen, it is such a lovely couple, I hope they whore very happy together ! THANKS.

This is not only a swedish tradition, but was very much familiar in Germany too. In the old days brides put a garland of myrthle in their hair as a lucky charm. This old custom is almost forgotten in nowadays times - at least in germany and anglo-saxon customs have taken over instead...
The bridal crown is a tradition in Sweden as well. Worn directly on the bride's head or over the veil, it can be as simple as a ribbon, or if true authenticity is desired, made of myrtle leaves. The bridal crown by tradition is only allowed to be worn by virgin brides.
According to this site it is a Swedish tradition.

Do you think that when the royals go out, do they feel funny or outdated wearing a crown at this time and age? Especially when there is recession all over the world? Like the queens and their big crowns, isn't that kind of ridiculous?

Back
Top Bottom