Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling: June 19, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, there was no hem showing inside the train, that was the border of the train. There were also loops sewn to the sides of the end of the train for the courtiers to hold onto, rather than perhaps soil the topside of the train when assisting the Crown Princess. The silk duchess satin I am sure was underlined in silk organza and china silk, and due to the way the train moved and looked very lightweight, I am sure it was contructed in a way that would be easy for her young attendants to lift and to put into the carriages, barge, and limo. I thought the gown was a masterpiece of simplistic elegance and executed impeccably. As a designer myself and having created trains of approximately the same length for my clients, I could see nothing that would betray a gown fitting a future Queen of Sweden. :flowers:

I totally agree with you. Gee, I didn't know Anchorage Alaska was overloaded with couture designers.

Go Sweden !

Well done to all involved !:flowers: ....a great day for Sweden and for the Crown Princess couple. !....Well done to Prince Daniel for such a heartfelt and unscripted speech.....now please go ALL the way and give him the title he deserves.... - Crownprince Daniel.....:swedenflag2::swedenflag2::swedenflag2:

I remember reading a book about Kennedy weddings. The Wedding of Robert Kennedy Sr and Ethel Kennedy had a wedding breakfast right after the ceremony. They served breakfast foods I believe. Usually it's simply called wedding reception and it happens in the evening. Or maybe that's just been my experience :p
It is called the Wedding Breakfast because it is the first meal the couple share together as man and wife. The same applied to Grace's wedding and long ago to mine. Daniel and Victoria's was the wedding breakfast indeed[first meal together as husband and wife] but just translated for another continent.as reception

It is called the Wedding Breakfast because it is the first meal the couple share together as man and wife. The same applied to Grace's wedding and long ago to mine. Daniel and Victoria's was the wedding breakfast indeed[first meal together as husband and wife] but just translated for another continent.as reception

There was a time, not so long ago, when most weddings took place in the morning and hence, the reception afterward was known as a "wedding breakfast"......

Ahh those two answers make total sense to me! :flowers:

Actually, there was no hem showing inside the train, that was the border of the train. There were also loops sewn to the sides of the end of the train for the courtiers to hold onto, rather than perhaps soil the topside of the train when assisting the Crown Princess. The silk duchess satin I am sure was underlined in silk organza and china silk, and due to the way the train moved and looked very lightweight, I am sure it was contructed in a way that would be easy for her young attendants to lift and to put into the carriages, barge, and limo. I thought the gown was a masterpiece of simplistic elegance and executed impeccably. As a designer myself and having created trains of approximately the same length for my clients, I could see nothing that would betray a gown fitting a future Queen of Sweden. :flowers:
... and it didn't have one wrinkle, either. The gown wore well and it looked comfortable. As well it should, CP Victoria and Prince Daniel had a very long day yesterday.....:flowers:

I totally agree with you. Gee, I didn't know Anchorage Alaska was overloaded with couture designers.

I am not from Anchorage...have lived in the lower 48 for most of my life and have designed bridal gowns for celebrities and high society for most of my life.

The song was "When You Tell The World You're Mine" sung by Björn Skifs & Agnes Carlsson. Not sure who actually wrote it.
I said it before and I'll say it again.....I want that song at my wedding with those same singers. I've never heard anything so romantic and beautiful in my life. By the way, I guess I'lll also have to have the choir and orchestra, too! You are all invited, or course! There is just the small matter of finding a groom...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Her bouquet I would like explained to me please; what was it and why? what kind of flowers were those?

Someone already explained it, either in this thread or another one about the wedding. You could also go to the Royal Court's website and go into the wedding section to read about it.

http://www.royalcourt.se/royalcourt...y/thebride.4.40e05eec12926f2630480002260.html

The bridal bouquet

The Crown Princess´s bridal bouquet consists of a mixture of traditional Swedish summer flowers and more exotic flowers. All the flowers are white, and the bouquet is tied into a free teardrop shape.

The Crown Princess´s bridal bouquet includes the following flowers: lily of the valley, rose, phalaenopsis orchid, peony, clematis, cosmos, wax flower, sweet pea, dicentra formosa, Mårbacka pelargonium, Amazon lily, gardenia, azalea, bleeding heart and the traditional myrtle from Sofiero.

I loved the gown and I thank you for the clarifications.The border of the train is the hem.?It could have been lined in moire silk to give it more inventiveness and form..Also the train and skirt should have had little magnets in it to keep it from flying up. The Duchess satin was not top notch.Masterpiece ? no - it wasn't Grace Kelly's gown. Victoria's gown was exceptional.. agree to disagree.....simplicity and simplified practice are two different things and it is always good to be able to discern one from the other... the bride was herself in this case the masterpiece and magnum opus and that was better than everything else I have ever seen at anybody's wedding.As a couture expert myself I think the execution of the gown was modern enough.Considering older techniques on wedding gowns and couture have been lost and revised with more facile manners of construction& with the passing generations that took those secrets of construction with them.Like most of the royal ladies arrived in sleeveless gowns because sleeves are difficult to attach properly to any gown nowadays and we hardly ever see them anymore with buttoned sleeves and actual buttonholes etc.
What of the bouquet ? Does it signify anything because I found it a rather symbolic piece for some reason . Does anybody know?

I don't think more lining would have been desired as more creates bulk and bulk creates lines and distortion. I think considering that the train was probably around 17ft long, pretty heavy enough...silk duchess satin is a heavy enough and with the internal support of the silk organza which prevents wrinkles and adds enough body to the train without being heavy, it was enough.

I missed the concert:sad: is there anywhere I can go to see it?

We can dispute this all night- there is another lining that could have been used as silk organza crinkles and makes the gown hot- however I have no idea what it is called in English.Gros faille would have been my first choice. But I am of another century
Ok what was that bouquet?

Just wrote about it.

As I stated regarding the train, the silk organza and china silk, and perhaps a lighter weight silk satin were more than likely used to line/underline the train. I don't think the bride, being as considerate as many say she is, would like the 17ft or so of train to drag and weigh more with more underlining, lining, and interfacing in addition to the veil she was also carrying behind her, for her attendants to manuever around the city. Silk organza does not crinkle, not sure what type silk organza you have had, but the weight I use is a firm weight and has been used by couturiers for generations. It has been used to prevent wrinkles, creases and is known as the 'hanger' that most fine evening fabrics rely on for support.

Last edited:
What I found too much in terms of "like parents" is that Victoria not only chose the same wedding date but also chose to look like a younger copy of her mother by chosing the same tiara. At times, the hommage to her parents or repeating parts of her parents' wedding was too much for me.

A bit more personality - Victoria & Daniel who have to find their own way - would have been good.

I also found it too much that Victoria chose the same date; the same tiara; the same veil; the same tight-to-the-head hairdo; a similarly plain, unadorned dress; and similar flower girl dresses... and then took the same carriage ride and same boat ride as her mother and father. I like tradition but I couldn't find "Victoria" in the wedding.

I also found it too much that Victoria chose the same date; the same tiara; the same veil; the same tight-to-the-head hairdo; a similarly plain, unadorned dress; and similar flower girl dresses... and then took the same carriage ride and same boat ride as her mother and father. I like tradition but I couldn't find "Victoria" in the wedding.
I think she probably only truly wanted the man:D

I wasn't able to watch any of the ceremony, banquet, first dance .......... is their a rebroadcast? Anyone know where I can watch it? What a magnificent wedding. Victoria looks so beautiful!!! Thanks to all who are putting up the pics. It's nice to see a bride and groom so much in love:wub:

Thank you for the clarification on the Lando char.
It seems to me some these dishes on the menu are terribly complicated.

I wasn't able to watch any of the ceremony, banquet, first dance .......... is their a rebroadcast? Anyone know where I can watch it? What a magnificent wedding. Victoria looks so beautiful!!! Thanks to all who are putting up the pics. It's nice to see a bride and groom so much in love:wub:

You can still see it! Here you go!

Startsida | svt.se

Thank you for the clarification on the Lando char.
It seems to me some these dishes on the menu are terribly complicated.

I have eaten char....was in Victoria, BC, Canada last summer and ate a fantastic dish that was Arctic char with a citrus emulsion....was pure heaven. Char tastes delicate and in this dish was very moist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have been hinting at some things on the board but everyone is caught up in the hysteria of seeing this royal marriage.
Thanks for hinting at some things that I agree with you on.
Queen Silvia was and is her own person but I do feel she rules the roost and that is why I suggested that Victoria have had a bit more personal initiative to be different than her parents and have had attention to detail.Everything the same and almost identical . How imaginitive.

This will answer some of your questions on why so much of the same choices...
History and traditions - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

This will answer some of your questions on why so much of the same choices...
History and traditions - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Yes, I have read that and I think tradition is good. Nonetheless, I would have liked to see Victoria put more of her own stamp on the wedding. It gives me the feeling that her parents are very controlling in some ways.

P.S. I read on another royal board that when Victoria's parents were married, the King dictated which tiara Silvia should wear. I was surprised to read that. What tiara did the king's mother wear at her wedding?

Which photo do you mean, I'd love to see it!

Sorry to be so long getting back. Went out with friends to dinner.

I've looked through the pages but I can't find the message with the link. Maybe someone else can find it - the picture with Frederick between Maxima and Mathilde. It really was cute;.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went to the svt site and tried to click on the video of the concert. Apparently those of us outside of Sweden will not be allowed to watch videos.

This seems highly unfair. Does anyone have any ideas as to their reasons? Is it greed - they want us to pay? What?

I just went to the svt site and tried to click on the video of the concert. Apparently those of us outside of Sweden will not be allowed to watch videos.

This seems highly unfair. Does anyone have any ideas as to their reasons? Is it greed - they want us to pay? What?

That's not true. I'm in North Carolina and I can watch them fine. I watched the live feed all day yesterday as well, and that was on the SVT site. As to why you can't watch them.....is your Flash application updated?

Take a screen print of the page you get when you try to view the videos. If you weren't allowed access because you weren't in Sweden, it would say so.

Yes, I have read that and I think tradition is good. Nonetheless, I would have liked to see Victoria put more of her own stamp on the wedding. It gives me the feeling that her parents are very controlling in some ways.

P.S. I read on another royal board that when Victoria's parents were married, the King dictated which tiara Silvia should wear. I was surprised to read that. What tiara did the king's mother wear at her wedding?

Perhaps what you say is true. Perhaps, however, that Victoria was so taken with the historical aspect of her wedding that she was pleased to go down the line and revisit history on her own day. I am not so sure I would not have done the same. Maybe she also was so delighted, after 8 plus years of dating, she could marry the man of her dreams that the details were not important to her as long as she got him. Regarding the King perhaps insisting on which tiara Silvia would wear, he might also be sentimental on the cameo tiara. We have no idea really, what any of them think.

That's not true. I'm in North Carolina and I can watch them fine. I watched the live feed all day yesterday as well, and that was on the SVT site. As to why you can't watch them.....is your Flash application updated?

Take a screen print of the page you get when you try to view the videos. If you weren't allowed access because you weren't in Sweden, it would say so.

Yesterday I had no problems. Watched all day. Just a few minutes ago I went to the site and clicked on their link for the concert and a screen came up that said this video was not available to me as I lived outside of Sweden.

I agree - without knowing these people personally, it's possible that they saw all of that any number of ways. Victoria could be thrilled to go along with tradition and grateful for the guidance, she could not care at all about details, or she could have been really mad about the interference. As for Silvia, she might have been really frustrated and considered Carl a control freak for assigning her a tiara, or she could have thought, "Oh, how sweet, he's that interested in what I'm wearing, and he wants me to wear a treasured family heirloom." I think Silvia seems like the type who would think the latter (I personaly would probably think the former if it were me).

Back
Top Bottom