Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling: June 19, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was just wondering, does it depend on the country or the time of the wedding, as to what the guests wear?
I've been looking at Princess Letizia's wedding and some guests just wore smart suits and not full length ball gowns.
But for weddings such this one or Princess Mary's, everyone wore full length ball gowns.
I am not certain as to protocol these days but I think it has to do with white tie or black tie or whatever else may be written on the formal invitation.

Without meaning to hurt anyone's feelings, I felt this wedding looked like a petite bourgeoisie event. There was no style and nothing majestic about it. Even the newscasters looked funny. The groom's outfit, particularly the shirt, coat and huge bow tie made him look as if dressed for a costume party with rented paraphernalia. The princess looked ok although her tiara was gawdy and rather grotesque. Her gown was nice but did not look royal. Alas, all magic about royalty is vanishing.
What you have missed is that this is essentially a "family" wedding and every family has it's own traditions.

When you are a Royal Princess and Heir to the Thone you do not hie off to the latest "fave" Hollywood designer for the most expensive overblown wedding meringue dress! Neither do you dive into the family jewels vault for the bigest and best sparkly jewels and heap them on just to prove you are royal!

No. You go to one of your country's best designers and get "a gown designed by Pär Engsheden, made of pearl white silk duchesse, and described in news releases as short-sleeved with an external collar. Regal and elegant. Tres chic!

You then lovingly adorn your head with the Cameo Tiara, “Once owned by Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, it came to the Swedish royal family when Josephine’s granddaughter Josefina married the future King Oscar I in 1823. The pearl-covered diadem, heightened by seven cameos depicting mythological figures, has become traditional bridal headgear in the House of Bernadotte. Victoria’s mother, Queen Silvia, wore it on her own wedding day on June 19, 1976.”

Then you affix a vintage lace veil, also worn by your mother on her wedding day to the tiara and you have a real Princess! Beautiful, elegant, glowing with love. A born and bred Royal Princess who gets to marry the man she loves and is made a Prince by his marriage, and who also, upon the occasion of his marriage, became a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim, the Order of which he wore on leaving the Cathedral.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, does it depend on the country or the time of the wedding, as to what the guests wear?
I suppose it depends on the country too, but usually if dress code is not given, the time of the day is what matters. In daytime weddings guests dress more simply (e.g. cocktail dresses, not long necessarily) but if the wedding is an evening wedding, it requires a long dress.

Victoria's wedding guests had received two different kind of invitations, and those who were invited only to church had a code "black tie" and those who went to dinner were "white tie".

What you have missed is that this is essentially a "family" wedding and every family has it's own traditions.

When you are a Royal Princess and Heir to the Thone you do not hie off to the latest "fave" Hollywood designer for the most expensive overblown wedding meringue dress! Neither do you dive into the family jewels vault for the bigest and best sparkly jewels and heap them on just to prove you are royal!

No. You go to one of your country's best designers and get "a gown designed by Pär Engsheden, made of pearl white silk duchesse, and described in news releases as short-sleeved with an external collar. Regal and elegant. Tres chic!

You then lovingly adorn your head with the Cameo Tiara, “Once owned by Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, it came to the Swedish royal family when Josephine’s granddaughter Josefina married the future King Oscar I in 1823. The pearl-covered diadem, heightened by seven cameos depicting mythological figures, has become traditional bridal headgear in the House of Bernadotte. Victoria’s mother, Queen Silvia, wore it on her own wedding day on June 19, 1976.”

Then you affix a vintage lace veil, also worn by your mother on her wedding day to the tiara and you have a real Princess! Beautiful, elegant, glowing with love. A born and bred Royal Princess who gets to marry the man she loves and is made a Prince by his marriage, and who also, upon the occasion of his marriage, became a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim.
BRAVO:flowers:

The tiara is not my favorite, but matched with the simplicity of the gown, it was totally in good taste. I dislike fufuness and that's why I loved Victoria's gown so much. Just because you're getting married does not mean you have to get carried away with all lace and flowery stuff. As someone else said, the gown is timeless. We will look at this gown 20 years from now and it will not be outdated, whereas the same cannot be said for Diana, as an example.

I also thought Prince Albert of Monoco's girlfriend looked stunning. Some were annoyed she had such a prominent place at the wedding but I thought her better dressed than some of the real life Princesses.

Loved the royal wedding dress too.
Sorry, that green dress on the Queen of DENMARK .. horrible over the top.

Some other videos of yesterday event (except the wedding and the first dance of the couple)?

I have to tell that I loved the wedding of Princess Victoria... it was so great, beautiful and sweet event.... Love completely the bride... she was PERFECT !!!

Also love the way of Daniel, I have to recognize I have just discovered a wonderul man !!!!!!

I spent all the day and night watching the great coverage of SVT... really wonderful !!!!! Thanks to them we had the chance of enjoying that great wedding!!!!

And of course, thanks to all the people on this great forum for sharing lots and lots of pics, links, etc.....Love you all !!!!!

It was a wedding all others should hope to even come close to. It was quite the most beautiful wedding I have seen. The bride proved that you don't have to have bows, crystals, flounces etc to look positively stunning. The simplicity of her dress only made her shine even more radiant. The tiara was featured in HELLO magazine last week among a whole range of the jewellary in the family. I thought it was really yuck in the photo, and yet.... on the day.... it looked truly amazing on her.

The whole setting within the church seemed very intimate but thats what made it even more appealing. The music was wonderful.

What brought tears to my eyes watching it was the knowledge that this was not a couple who had only met in the last year or so and were getting married. One could understand the endless signs of adoration between the pair had they been still in the first flush of romance.

No... this is a couple together many years... and their absolute adoration of each other was palpable at that altar. It was so very joyful to see. Her gaze of complete love and happiness at him, and the very tender way she reached out and stroked his cheek just after the rings had been placed.

I think these two have been very blessed indeed in life to find each other. I wish them a long and happy life together, and indeed I hope her beautiful sister meets a partner who can bring her the same devoted joy in the future. Worth waiting for after all her recent heartache.

You picked a winner, Crown Princess Victoria, you picked a winner! *cheers*

Prince Daniel's speech in my humble opinion will go down in history as the greatest speech ever made from a groom to his bride.

I thank you for a truly fairytale wedding ~ it started with Princess Diana's wedding in 1981 (when I was 14 yrs. old) and now ends with your equally magical fairytale wedding in 2010 ~ you've both shown us it is quality that matters, not quantity... :)

You picked a winner, Crown Princess Victoria, you picked a winner! *cheers*

Prince Daniel's speech in my humble opinion will go down in history as the greatest speech ever made from a groom to his bride.

I thank you for a truly fairytale wedding ~ it started with Princess Diana's wedding in 1981 (when I was 14 yrs. old) and now ends with your equally magical fairytale wedding in 2010 ~ you've both shown us it is quality that matters, not quantity... :)

Oh I didnt hear that...........can you tell me something of it please.

And did you realize that Daniel didn't need any paper when giving his speech...!! I was sooo amazed how good speech he could give without a paper at all... !!

Was it Daniel's sister's daughter Hedvig Blom who was carrying the rings on the pillow in the church?

Queen Rania, Iman and King Abdullah just left the hotel. Queen wore a grey blouse.

Crap! I can't believe that nobody has the whole dance (not just this first waltz) :bang:

Yes, Fanvanmaxima, I believe there is a brunch today

It was a beautiful event. My thanks to svt.se for broadcasting the event so those of us in the US could watch it live. I had no trouble at all during the day. My only wish, since their broadcast was for "out of the Nordic region", was that they could have had subtitles in German, French, English, etc.

Victoria was beautiful! The tiara and dress made for an incredible combination. Very medieval. And Daniel was wonderful. As I said at one point earlier, a true gentleman.

So, how soon do you suppose Hello magazine will find out where they are going on their honeymoon? I know it's awful to be followed like that, but you KNOW some reporter somewhere will spot them.

I've only seen them take ski trips together. Do they ever go on island beach vacations? Maybe they will go to one of those private islands where you can rent the whole thing? Mods...we need a honeymmon thread! LOL! ;)

I hve been a royalty watcher for a long time and i must say this is the most moving wedding ever.
There is always a concern when some one of a modest background gets propelled in a high public position- concern of how they will adapt. IN this case i think Daniel is adapting extremely well.

His behaviour was impeccable, his speech was a masterpiece.

Of course he had help and coaching. The good thing about athletes -[I consider a fitness trainer an athlete] is that they are receptive to coaching. It seems obvious Daniel benefitted from whatever help and coachign was given him.
In that respect, the Swedish court is to be congratulated on handling Daniel's transition very well.

Could anyone help me? I saw a Tiara on the wedding like this one in the picture below. It´s Luisa of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen. Could it be that one princess wore it?? Because Carl Gustavs sister married in the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen family and now I´m wondering if this Tiara is now in the family.
Thanks!!

http://s3.directupload.net/file/d/2196/offwqmq8_jpg.htm

His speech to her, her family, his family and the people of Sweden was AMAZING! He is a very confident and loving man and I feel he wil keep her as happy as she was on her wedding day. They make a beautiful couple and a beautiful team! Sweden is very lucky to have such a beautiful, regal, kind princess who has found a prince ever bit as dedicated as she is!

can anyone kindly post the video of the guest entering the banquet hall for dinner?i didn't manage to catch it.thank you:)

Back
Top Bottom