The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Courtier

The dress of Vicoria was very plain, it disappointed me. I think I've seen hundreds of commoner brides with similar dresses. But that's not too bad, it may just mean that Victoria is a womam more interested in substance (love for Daniel) than in appearance.
The good news is that the cameo tiara looks good on Victoria! I was so worried she would have chosen it, because I thought it was a bad tiara, but as I said, it looks good on Victoria!
The real royal touch to the wedding were the incredible jewels! I've just seen pics until now, now I'm looking for videos where I can see all those diamonds shining. Can someone help?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Queen Silvia was wearing the emeralds and was in orange.
Lumutqueen, don't you mean Queen Sonja of Norway? Queen Silva was wearing pink with the Braganza tiara.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Queen Silvia was wearing the emeralds and was in orange.

LadyGabrielle asked
clarification
Queen Silvia was in pink with the large pink amethyst necklace and the Braganza tiara and the orange pleated dress was worn by Queen Sonja of Norway with the emeralds that she always wears.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by laduchesse View Post
Lumutqueen, don't you mean Queen Sonja of Norway? Queen Silva was wearing pink with the Braganza tiara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
clarification
Queen Silvia was in pink with the large pink amethyst necklace and the Braganza tiara and the orange pleated dress was worn by Queen Sonja of Norway with the emeralds that she always wears.
I do mean Sonja.
All the S's confused me slightly. It's been a long night.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 AM

Yay Sweden !

Congratulations and Celebrations to Victoria and Daniel !! May they have a long and blessed union, also people of Sweden I hope you all had a wonderful day of love and celebration. rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaha Karatsokaros View Post
Without meaning to hurt anyone's feelings, I felt this wedding looked like a petite bourgeoisie event. There was no style and nothing majestic about it. Even the newscasters looked funny. The groom's outfit, particularly the shirt, coat and huge bow tie made him look as if dressed for a costume party with rented paraphernalia. The princess looked ok although her tiara was gawdy and rather grotesque. Her gown was nice but did not look royal. Alas, all magic about royalty is vanishing.
Most of the royals also looked kind of abraded by time - or I am getting old. There wasn't one extraordinary appearance by anyone.There wasn't one royal that really made us dreamtaken.There is no doubt about the happiness of the event and the success but it was not like in days of yore.Back then they could take your breath away. And Princess Irene was in absentia.It might be a sign of the times.. that the royals are going through what everybody else is...The newscasters were long on the tooth.. too much commentary.When they began to waltz King Gustav came in and could waltz better than the young couple .......... The wedding cake was quite plain and the undecorated- just many tiers and no embellishments..Maybe the wedding theme was simplicity.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Most of the royals also looked kind of abraded by time - or I am getting old. There wasn't one extraordinary appearance by anyone.There wasn't one royal that really made us dreamtaken.There is no doubt about the happiness of the event and the success but it was not like in days of yore. And Princess Irene was missing .
I can think of two outfits that were extraordinarily bad.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 AM

I was a total geek and watched the whole wedding online via stv although I could not understand a word. I enjoyed every moment of it ..and now to be cheesy ;" love is the one language that we all understand." Congrats people who gave us Abba, Ikea and Volvo ...
Old 06-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I was just wondering, does it depend on the country or the time of the wedding, as to what the guests wear?
I've been looking at Princess Letizia's wedding and some guests just wore smart suits and not full length ball gowns.
But for weddings such this one or Princess Mary's, everyone wore full length ball gowns.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Majesty
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – Jordan

Does anyone have any pic of Princess Noor of Jordan?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Commoner

Somebody asked for a picture of the ring, well here is one: http://gfx2.aftonbladet-cdn.se/multi...n_1219544l.jpg . They are guessing it has 25 brilliant-cut diamonds which have a total weight of about three carats. No official information has been given about the ring.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Other videos of yesterday ball at the Royal Palace?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I've just found these.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

beautiful official pictures.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I was just wondering, does it depend on the country or the time of the wedding, as to what the guests wear?
I've been looking at Princess Letizia's wedding and some guests just wore smart suits and not full length ball gowns.
But for weddings such this one or Princess Mary's, everyone wore full length ball gowns.
I am not certain as to protocol these days but I think it has to do with white tie or black tie or whatever else may be written on the formal invitation.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlaha Karatsokaros View Post
Without meaning to hurt anyone's feelings, I felt this wedding looked like a petite bourgeoisie event. There was no style and nothing majestic about it. Even the newscasters looked funny. The groom's outfit, particularly the shirt, coat and huge bow tie made him look as if dressed for a costume party with rented paraphernalia. The princess looked ok although her tiara was gawdy and rather grotesque. Her gown was nice but did not look royal. Alas, all magic about royalty is vanishing.
What you have missed is that this is essentially a "family" wedding and every family has it's own traditions.

When you are a Royal Princess and Heir to the Thone you do not hie off to the latest "fave" Hollywood designer for the most expensive overblown wedding meringue dress! Neither do you dive into the family jewels vault for the bigest and best sparkly jewels and heap them on just to prove you are royal!

No. You go to one of your country's best designers and get "a gown designed by Pär Engsheden, made of pearl white silk duchesse, and described in news releases as short-sleeved with an external collar. Regal and elegant. Tres chic!

You then lovingly adorn your head with the Cameo Tiara, “Once owned by Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, it came to the Swedish royal family when Josephine’s granddaughter Josefina married the future King Oscar I in 1823. The pearl-covered diadem, heightened by seven cameos depicting mythological figures, has become traditional bridal headgear in the House of Bernadotte. Victoria’s mother, Queen Silvia, wore it on her own wedding day on June 19, 1976.”

Then you affix a vintage lace veil, also worn by your mother on her wedding day to the tiara and you have a real Princess! Beautiful, elegant, glowing with love. A born and bred Royal Princess who gets to marry the man she loves and is made a Prince by his marriage, and who also, upon the occasion of his marriage, became a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim, the Order of which he wore on leaving the Cathedral.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I suppose it depends on the country too, but usually if dress code is not given, the time of the day is what matters. In daytime weddings guests dress more simply (e.g. cocktail dresses, not long necessarily) but if the wedding is an evening wedding, it requires a long dress.

Victoria's wedding guests had received two different kind of invitations, and those who were invited only to church had a code "black tie" and those who went to dinner were "white tie".
Old 06-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
What you have missed is that this is essentially a "family" wedding and every family has it's own traditions.

When you are a Royal Princess and Heir to the Thone you do not hie off to the latest "fave" Hollywood designer for the most expensive overblown wedding meringue dress! Neither do you dive into the family jewels vault for the bigest and best sparkly jewels and heap them on just to prove you are royal!

No. You go to one of your country's best designers and get "a gown designed by Pär Engsheden, made of pearl white silk duchesse, and described in news releases as short-sleeved with an external collar. Regal and elegant. Tres chic!

You then lovingly adorn your head with the Cameo Tiara, “Once owned by Napoleon’s Empress Josephine, it came to the Swedish royal family when Josephine’s granddaughter Josefina married the future King Oscar I in 1823. The pearl-covered diadem, heightened by seven cameos depicting mythological figures, has become traditional bridal headgear in the House of Bernadotte. Victoria’s mother, Queen Silvia, wore it on her own wedding day on June 19, 1976.”

Then you affix a vintage lace veil, also worn by your mother on her wedding day to the tiara and you have a real Princess! Beautiful, elegant, glowing with love. A born and bred Royal Princess who gets to marry the man she loves and is made a Prince by his marriage, and who also, upon the occasion of his marriage, became a Knight of the Order of the Seraphim.
BRAVO

The tiara is not my favorite, but matched with the simplicity of the gown, it was totally in good taste. I dislike fufuness and that's why I loved Victoria's gown so much. Just because you're getting married does not mean you have to get carried away with all lace and flowery stuff. As someone else said, the gown is timeless. We will look at this gown 20 years from now and it will not be outdated, whereas the same cannot be said for Diana, as an example.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Courtier

I also thought Prince Albert of Monoco's girlfriend looked stunning. Some were annoyed she had such a prominent place at the wedding but I thought her better dressed than some of the real life Princesses.

Loved the royal wedding dress too.
Sorry, that green dress on the Queen of DENMARK .. horrible over the top.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Some other videos of yesterday event (except the wedding and the first dance of the couple)?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Nobility

I have to tell that I loved the wedding of Princess Victoria... it was so great, beautiful and sweet event.... Love completely the bride... she was PERFECT !!!

Also love the way of Daniel, I have to recognize I have just discovered a wonderul man !!!!!!

I spent all the day and night watching the great coverage of SVT... really wonderful !!!!! Thanks to them we had the chance of enjoying that great wedding!!!!

And of course, thanks to all the people on this great forum for sharing lots and lots of pics, links, etc.....Love you all !!!!!

Tags
crown princess victoria, daniel westling, prince daniel, stockholm, victoria, wedding